2012-2013 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG first interview invite in 2 cycles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going crazy!
completed 7/10
3.8 GPA/32 MCAT

CONGRATS! That must feel GREAT! And in early August too!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you. This application season is much more expensive than I budgeted for. If anyone finds the details of the hosting program, please share with the rest of us.

I have an October interview date, so I emailed the admissions office about a student host. They responded saying the student host list is not yet complete. I think it is therefore safe to assume that student hosting is available upon request. :)

OMG first interview invite in 2 cycles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going crazy!
completed 7/10
3.8 GPA/32 MCAT

Congratulations!!! And wow, with those stats you didn't receive any interview invites last year? (or did you retake MCAT?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an October interview date, so I emailed the admissions office about a student host. They responded saying the student host list is not yet complete. I think it is therefore safe to assume that student hosting is available upon request. :)

Aww man, I already got a hotel for October 2nd - 3rd. Anybody want to split my room?

Edit: Just FYI for people interviewing on the Oct. 3 date, I was checking hotels and a lot are all booked up for some reason on those dates for some conference or something.

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing on October 26th?

Last edited:
Similar situation here. I've been marked as complete since 7/6 :scared: This process is completely different from last years so I'm just clueless :thumbdown:

I've been complete since 7/6 and haven't heard anything -_-

Congratulations!!! And wow, with those stats you didn't receive any interview invites last year? (or did you retake MCAT?)
I did not retake my MCAT. I applied earlier and made a lot of changes to my application this time around. :]

I did not retake my MCAT. I applied earlier and made a lot of changes to my application this time around. :]

Nice! I'm kind of in the same boat, except I got three interviews last year.

thanks for your support, and yes, I was complete on 7/10. BU was definitely a huge reach for me, so I'm not too shocked, but I figured I'd never know if I didn't try.

And I hope you get an interview. Best of luck :)

What were your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone clarify what this "one month rule" is I hear about BU?

can someone clarify what this "one month rule" is I hear about BU?

That was from last year + the year before that. This year things seem to be moving differently. But if you still wanted to know, in the past people were rejected on day 19 after completion and if you made it to day 30 without hearing anything you would get an email saying sorry for the delay, we've been swamped and then you would be granted an interview. Like I said though, this all seems to have changed this year.

Anyone know of anything fun to do on a Friday night in Boston? I want to unwind a little after my interview. Lol.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

I'm currently doing my undergrad in Boston and waiting to hear back on my secondary and as far as fun things to do, depends on what you're looking for. If you want good food, go to the North End for some good Italian and then afterwards there's a sketch/improv comedy place called the Improv Asylum that is hilarious. There are a bunch of good bars around, but Boston's no NYC...it shuts down kind of early.

That was from last year + the year before that. This year things seem to be moving differently. But if you still wanted to know, in the past people were rejected on day 19 after completion and if you made it to day 30 without hearing anything you would get an email saying sorry for the delay, we've been swamped and then you would be granted an interview. Like I said though, this all seems to have changed this year.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XERZywq9o_g[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone know of anything fun to do on a Friday night in Boston? I want to unwind a little after my interview. Lol.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

Go to this place called the "Cellar," it's at the Harvard Square T stop. It's a great bar

Complete on 7/16. still just "complete". fingers still crossed. they're starting to bruise.

Go to this place called the "Cellar," it's at the Harvard Square T stop. It's a great bar

I don't think I've ever heard of the Cellar, but Harvard Square is pretty far away from BU med school. There's some great South End bars in the area too, definitely worth checking out. Just be aware that Boston bars all (pretty much) close at 2.

So it seems like everyone who received interviews or got rejected today all submitted their secondary around 7/10 or 7/11. I am assuming they are reviewing applicants in order of submission. hmmm. i submitted my secondary 7/19, so it'll probably be another week or two until they get to mine. I cannot wait!

So it seems like everyone who received interviews or got rejected today all submitted their secondary around 7/10 or 7/11. I am assuming they are reviewing applicants in order of submission. hmmm. i submitted my secondary 7/19, so it'll probably be another week or two until they get to mine. I cannot wait!

Perhaps...but a couple others and I were complete around 7/5 and still haven't heard back anything..no idea what they're doing =/

I don't think I've ever heard of the Cellar, but Harvard Square is pretty far away from BU med school. There's some great South End bars in the area too, definitely worth checking out. Just be aware that Boston bars all (pretty much) close at 2.

Clery's in the south end is fun and a young professional crowd- if you are looking for more of a club feel, Storyville is great and no cover (but a line after 10!) Otherwise if you want to see more of Boston, I'd suggest going by the waterfront to Whiskey Priest for a rooftop deck that overlooks the water (but is a decent cab ride from the BU area).

complete 7/6 and haven't heard anything

Same boat here, at least we're in it together I guess!

Related note, anyone else checking their email like 400 times a day? :)

Same boat here, at least we're in it together I guess!

Related note, anyone else checking their email like 400 times a day? :)

400 is a low estimate for me ;)

Hey, I know I already asked some of you guys before but anyone interviewed:
Would you mind sharing if you wrote the additional essay or not? & if so, what general topic did you decide was important enough to include?

Also feel free to share stats if you feel comfortable

Thanks!

Would you mind sharing if you wrote the additional essay or not? & if so, what general topic did you decide was important enough to include?

Thanks!

I left it blank and received an interview.

Thanks!

Left it blank.

Undergrad GPA: 3.72/3.71 (last three years 3.93)
Grad GPA: 3.93
1st MCAT (Expired): 31S
2nd MCAT: 34Q

I have a question about the last page of the BU secondary. It says:

Submitting your BUSM application, initiates the review of your application. It does not necessarily mean your application is complete (see below). We will communicate with you via email with any changes to your status or questions regarding your application. We encourage you to monitor your status on the Application Status tab and communicate with us using the Message Center.

**No changes may be made after application is submitted**
PRIOR to submittingyour application:
  • Confirm your AMCAS application has been VERIFIED by AMCAS.
  • If it is not verified, save your work in draft form, and return to this page when you are verified.
  • If yes, you may continue and submit your application.
On my AMCAS it says that my application has been PROCESSED, but it doesn't say anything about it being VERIFIED. What is the difference between a PROCESSED AMCAS application and a VERIFIED one? I am asking this because I want to make sure that there is a difference between the two before I decide to submit my secondary to BU.
Thank you so much everyone!

Interview invite sent 8/02!! I chose the October 10th date for the interview. First interview offer so very exciting!

when were you complete? and stats if you don't mind?

when were you complete? and stats if you don't mind?

I was complete 7/9. Mechanical Engineer (not sure if that made a difference), 3.87 overall gpa, 3.92 science gpa, 33O mcat.

what are grounds for initial rejection? Not meeting a particular cut-off?

what are grounds for initial rejection? Not meeting a particular cut-off?

Most likely. Their 1st round of review after they get your secondaries involves cutting down the number of applicants from 10,000 to 7,500 using mostly MCAT/GPA (not sure if there are exact cutoffs though). The 2nd round is when they look at mostly ECs, LORs, and essays to pick 1,000 interviewees from the 7,500.

Edit: This is only what they've done in previous years according to their admissions website. It could be very different this year, since this year they've been giving out a lot of interview invites first and no initial rejections, while last year and the year before they gave out a ton of rejections before any interviews.

Last edited:
today is my 19th day after being complete...hope they are not inclined to send any rejection today :)

Thanks!

Invited to interview, did not write the optional essay.

Was about to submit without the essay, but then got to typing, and ended up with a pretty solid one. Hopefully I don't get screened out before they read my essays, making all the stress completely in vain

Just got my first II.

Pretty excited for Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.