2012-2013 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my sports too. :) I'm excited for intramurals lol (hey..just because we are in med school doesn't mean we can't have fun...got to defeat those dent students :D ). Yea I wanted to see the Drayson center as well... but didn't get to see it either :( it seemed to be hidden behind the hills?! but this video makes it seem pretty nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5y0ll8qUk. Plenty of students exercise regularly so I'm sure its just a matter of getting used to the air lol...but hey how many places can you go skiing and surfing in the same day? :cool:

For real. I'm just grateful for receiving interviews from good schools where I could see myself attending. Loma Linda is definitely up there right now :love: I definitely could see myself being really happy there. How about you?

Butttttt....wayyyyy getting ahead of ourselves.....next Friday needs to come quickly! :oops:

I'm definitely excited for intramurals as well! From the video, Drayson center seems to be fairly big for a school gym. I am just hoping I get to exercise at least every other day, if not everyday. After visiting the campus, it's definitely one of my top choices right now. I have yet to hear back or have interviews at other schools, but I thoroughly enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. I also like how SDA hospitals and institutions are almost everywhere in the world, so that's a big plus for me.

I highly doubt I will find out anything by next Friday. I am hoping I get to hear back in January! :xf: Let us know when you get your call in a week :)

Members don't see this ad.

The research opportunities hear are actually pretty good, and diverse! Typically students start the summer after MS1. During MS1, they present to you all the research opportunities available, over the course of three days. I have seen most specialties represented, as well as plenty in the basic sciences if that is your thing. I actually didn't do research that summer, but everyone I talked to has positive things to say. If you want to continue the research past the summer, some students do. Though those guys must be superhuman to manage research and coursework haha.

Grading is not done on the curve. Points are points! Most classes require about a 68% to pass, 82% for high pass, and 89% for honors, though there is some variance in those numbers between the classes. I don't know if you've heard of this yet, but LLU does something called "integrated exams." Basically, you don't take one specific test for any class. Instead, testing takes place over three days, in three approximately 2 1/2 hour sessions. Each day, your test will pull questions from every class, and hit the shuffle button! So you never know what class is going to through a question at you and when. For example, your first question might be anatomy, but #2 is physiology, #3 is PDX, then #4 is another physiology question, and so on and so forth. The testing is all computer based, so it simulates Step I really well, and from what I've heard from upperclassmen, it does a really good job at preparing you for the Step's!

And as far as competition goes, I've yet to see anything cut throat as our class is really collaborative. We have a shared DropBox account that we use to share notes, electronic flash cards, handouts, etc. We also have a facebook group where we keep one another informed, ask questions, discuss unclear material, etc. It's actually really helpful, and I'm glad we all work together! Seriously, it may sound like I'm trying to sugar coat it, but I'm not exaggerating, this really is a team effort. The nice thing is that despite the mix of ethnicities, religions, backgrounds, upbringings, etc, we all share the common goal of becoming doctors, and that produces a type of camaraderie you rarely see.

Haha yea, that's actually something I really don't like about this area. I miss the seasons a lot, and some days the smog is pretty bad. I also hate traffic!!! I mostly just bike to class now, it's way faster then trying to make it through stoplights and find a hidden parking spot haha. And you know what drives me nuts? Hearing lawn mowers in the middle of the Christmas season! haha! I miss snow!!

Very informative. :thumbup: Thank you!

Did you go abroad after your 1st year? If not research or going abroad, what did you do during your first summer after MS1?

Haha, no problem, I got a ton of help from SDN when I was applying, so I've always tried to contribute back when I can! :)

I have a list that shows the average Step I score for each specialty that LLU students matched into. Not sure if that is the type of list you are looking for, but if anyone wants a copy, PM me an email address and I'll send one your way!

The research opportunities hear are actually pretty good, and diverse! Typically students start the summer after MS1. During MS1, they present to you all the research opportunities available, over the course of three days. I have seen most specialties represented, as well as plenty in the basic sciences if that is your thing. I actually didn't do research that summer, but everyone I talked to has positive things to say. If you want to continue the research past the summer, some students do. Though those guys must be superhuman to manage research and coursework haha.

Grading is not done on the curve. Points are points! Most classes require about a 68% to pass, 82% for high pass, and 89% for honors, though there is some variance in those numbers between the classes. I don't know if you've heard of this yet, but LLU does something called "integrated exams." Basically, you don't take one specific test for any class. Instead, testing takes place over three days, in three approximately 2 1/2 hour sessions. Each day, your test will pull questions from every class, and hit the shuffle button! So you never know what class is going to through a question at you and when. For example, your first question might be anatomy, but #2 is physiology, #3 is PDX, then #4 is another physiology question, and so on and so forth. The testing is all computer based, so it simulates Step I really well, and from what I've heard from upperclassmen, it does a really good job at preparing you for the Step's!

And as far as competition goes, I've yet to see anything cut throat as our class is really collaborative. We have a shared DropBox account that we use to share notes, electronic flash cards, handouts, etc. We also have a facebook group where we keep one another informed, ask questions, discuss unclear material, etc. It's actually really helpful, and I'm glad we all work together! Seriously, it may sound like I'm trying to sugar coat it, but I'm not exaggerating, this really is a team effort. The nice thing is that despite the mix of ethnicities, religions, backgrounds, upbringings, etc, we all share the common goal of becoming doctors, and that produces a type of camaraderie you rarely see.

Haha yea, that's actually something I really don't like about this area. I miss the seasons a lot, and some days the smog is pretty bad. I also hate traffic!!! I mostly just bike to class now, it's way faster then trying to make it through stoplights and find a hidden parking spot haha. And you know what drives me nuts? Hearing lawn mowers in the middle of the Christmas season! haha! I miss snow!!
Ver informative indeed, thank you so much for sharing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well guys, the trend really has been the 3rd Friday of December for initial acceptances, I promise, but one of my friends back at undergrad just said she got accepted this evening! It's not even the end of the quarter yet, so I don't know what this kind of trend is haha. Just for the record, she is at an SDA college, so she probably interviewed pretty early; maybe she did early decision? Either way, I don't know if that means some more are going out tomorrow, or Monday, or next week like the normal trend, but either way, good luck!! :luck:

Also, I got quite a few PM's about that match list, I'll try to reply to as many as possible, but just so you have it, follow the following link and you can download the list! Haha, honestly I don't know why I didn't think of just providing a dropbox link in the first place. Hope it helps!!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45360377/2006-2012 Step I stats.pdf

Ahhhh I just missed a call from Loma Linda?!? :( they didn't leave a voicemail...I called back and it was a general number (asked for an extension) Ahhhh :(

Ahhhh I just missed a call from Loma Linda?!? :( they didn't leave a voicemail...I called back and it was a general number (asked for an extension) Ahhhh :(

Usually Loma only calls to accept... It was a 909 number?

So weird! They've never done it on a Thursday before! But hey, less of a wait! :)

Usually Loma only calls to accept... It was a 909 number?

So weird! They've never done it on a Thursday before! But hey, less of a wait! :)

Yea it was a 909 number! That's great news man! I hope to get the call again tomorrow. It is nice we didn't have to wait another week :)

I've been lurking here on SDN but I joined today. I can confirm that they did send some acceptances today. I got accepted! So hopefully I will see some of you next year.

I've been lurking here on SDN but I joined today. I can confirm that they did send some acceptances today. I got accepted! So hopefully I will see some of you next year.

Congrats! I hope that means some more IIs will be forthcoming :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse brevity and/or typos.

ACCEPTED!!!!!! God is good! Ahh it's so surreal...got the call from Dr. Roddy this morning. Best of luck to all the rest of you. Hope to see you all next year :)

Congratulations! I was looking forward to next Friday but was completely surprised by a call from Dr. Roddy this morning. God is good. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we need to get a Loma Linda School of Medicine Class of 2017 Facebook group going!

The lack of movement on this thread drives me crazy everyday. Does anyone know if they are receptive to update/LOI emails pre-interview invite? I know "in the area" notes pretty much get no response. This is my top choice.

I went ahead and made a FB group for accepted students. (No one else was taking the initiative lol)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/LLUSMCO2017/

Let me know if you can't see it/have issues joining. Congrats to all of those out there that have been accepted!

The lack of movement on this thread drives me crazy everyday. Does anyone know if they are receptive to update/LOI emails pre-interview invite? I know "in the area" notes pretty much get no response. This is my top choice.

I just emailed the admissions. I'll let you know what their response is :)

I went ahead and made a FB group for accepted students. (No one else was taking the initiative lol)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/LLUSMCO2017/

Let me know if you can't see it/have issues joining. Congrats to all of those out there that have been accepted!

Haha. Sorry man, I've been busy with interviews at other schools. So, I am guessing LLU is your school for next 4 years?

I don't think they are particularly good at replying back. I've sent a few emails in the past, but none of them were replied. I would call them if I were you. Good luck!

Haha. Sorry man, I've been busy with interviews at other schools. So, I am guessing LLU is your school for next 4 years?

Haha no not yet. I'm still going to go through the process and consider other schools...try not to rush into things you know? But at this point, I have a feeling I'll be ending up in Southern California :)

They said yes :)

The drayson center is awesome. State of the art facility with everything...massages...machines...ping pong...you name it, they have it.

There are cons to loma Linda. The biggest is "parking". They are building a new parking garage, but that could take awhile.

The good news is that LLU is attached to a hospital network that is currently growing. It isn't very far from the VA hospital. In other words, there are many opportunities for 3rd and 4th year students. In addition, LLU is part of an alliance of Adventist hospitals, all of which are excellent hospitals. You'll love your 3rd and 4th year rotations.

Anyways, I interviewed in October, and I'm waiting to hear some news. I'm a bit worried that I'll get wait listed because my stats are less than ideal, but LLU is my top choice. I'm confident that LLU is where I need to be. Hoping to get that 909- phone call some day!

Officially withdrew my application today. I hope if I were to get an interview invite that one of you takes my place. Good luck. See everyone on the flip side of the PGYears.

Officially withdrew my application today. I hope if I were to get an interview invite that one of you takes my place. Good luck. See everyone on the flip side of the PGYears.

:( How come you withdrew your application? At least you could have waited for interview invite? Good luck with everything!

The drayson center is awesome. State of the art facility with everything...massages...machines...ping pong...you name it, they have it.

There are cons to loma Linda. The biggest is "parking". They are building a new parking garage, but that could take awhile.

The good news is that LLU is attached to a hospital network that is currently growing. It isn't very far from the VA hospital. In other words, there are many opportunities for 3rd and 4th year students. In addition, LLU is part of an alliance of Adventist hospitals, all of which are excellent hospitals. You'll love your 3rd and 4th year rotations.

Anyways, I interviewed in October, and I'm waiting to hear some news. I'm a bit worried that I'll get wait listed because my stats are less than ideal, but LLU is my top choice. I'm confident that LLU is where I need to be. Hoping to get that 909- phone call some day!

Wow! You interviewed so early. How?!
If you interviewed that early, I think you will hear back from LLU sometime soon. I think the second round of acceptance calls is gonna be next week. Good luck!

Wow, you are all getting acceptances already, that is great! I am going to be interviewing at LLU next Thursday. Any tips? Congrats on all the acceptances!

Has anybody gotten an ii after the first of the year? Particulary non-SDA?

Wow, you are all getting acceptances already, that is great! I am going to be interviewing at LLU next Thursday. Any tips? Congrats on all the acceptances!

I found the interview to be pretty stress free. The interview is open file and my interviewers took time to read my primary application which was nice as it gave us something to talk about (interests, soccer, where I lived, singing, writing, etc). I wasn't asked anything regarding my secondary application so I don't think they'll go through that. Of course be ready for the "why medicine" question. Also, know a little bit about healthcare reform as I was asked that in both my interviews. If there is a weakness in your app (I had a couple) be prepared to explain why it happened and what you learned from it. Other questions I can remember where about family, favorite coursework, what do you think medical school will be like, where do you see yourself in 10 years, what specialty are you interested in, you know nothing too difficult. They are not there to grill you, but to get to know more about you (that's what came across to me at least). I say just be sincere and compassionate. They are looking for students who are committed to Christian principles (notice I did not say "they are looking for SDAs or Christians"). Just be yourself. Let that personality shine through and you will be fine :)

(and you should be good to go given that you've been on other interviews and have good experience...yes I creeped on your profile :smuggrin: )

I found the interview to be pretty stress free. The interview is open file and my interviewers took time to read my primary application which was nice as it gave us something to talk about (interests, soccer, where I lived, singing, writing, etc). I wasn't asked anything regarding my secondary application so I don't think they'll go through that. Of course be ready for the "why medicine" question. Also, know a little bit about healthcare reform as I was asked that in both my interviews. If there is a weakness in your app (I had a couple) be prepared to explain why it happened and what you learned from it. Other questions I can remember where about family, favorite coursework, what do you think medical school will be like, where do you see yourself in 10 years, what specialty are you interested in, you know nothing too difficult. They are not there to grill you, but to get to know more about you (that's what came across to me at least). I say just be sincere and compassionate. They are looking for students who are committed to Christian principles (notice I did not say "they are looking for SDAs or Christians"). Just be yourself. Let that personality shine through and you will be fine :)

(and you should be good to go given that you've been on other interviews and have good experience...yes I creeped on your profile :smuggrin: )

:thumbup: Mine was similar except my primary application wasn't really reviewed during my interview and started straight off with a bunch of questions. It was formal for a while, usual questioning and answering. It wouldn't hurt to know a bit about healthcare reform as jcaptian mentioned. I was also asked about my view on it as well. I think they like people who are well rounded and may bring up current big issues around the world. For example, we talked about Israel/Palestine relationship during my interview. A bit odd, but just be ready to answer all sorts of questions. If you don't know, simply say you don't know rather than trying to make up stuff on your own. It's important just to be yourself rather than trying to be someone you are not. I am sure you will do all right! Good luck! :)

How are people sending academic updates to LLU? Email? Snail mail?

I emailed an unofficial transcript to them. Received an email stating they had received it and added it to my application shortly thereafter.

I emailed an unofficial transcript to them. Received an email stating they had received it and added it to my application shortly thereafter.

Thank you! Did you do anything else? LOI paragraph?

Has anybody gotten an ii after the first of the year? Particulary non-SDA?

Yea i'm really curious too... should we still be hoping, or is it time to cry ourselves to sleep at night and get on with our lives?

Yea i'm really curious too... should we still be hoping, or is it time to cry ourselves to sleep at night and get on with our lives?

It's my impression from looking on their website and previous llusm threads that interviews continue until the end of March. Keep the faith! There is still time left!

It's my impression from looking on their website and previous llusm threads that interviews continue until the end of March. Keep the faith! There is still time left!

+1 and congrats on your acceptance!

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, this is my fourth interview but no acceptances yet so, it's pretty nerve-wrecking. But, I'm excited to be here. :)

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, this is my fourth interview but no acceptances yet so, it's pretty nerve-wrecking. But, I'm excited to be here. :)

Good luck! And God bless, I'm sure you'll do great :)

I received an email yesterday asking about my availability to meet with the dean of academic affairs. I have yet to receive an interview invite; this was just cruel and confusing.

I received an email yesterday asking about my availability to meet with the dean of academic affairs. I have yet to receive an interview invite; this was just cruel and confusing.

Strange... Did they indicate why you need to have a meeting with the dean?

For those of you accepted already, how long did it take for you guys to hear back after your interviews?

For those of you accepted already, how long did it take for you guys to hear back after your interviews?

One week for me. Did you have your interview recently? I think there will be acceptance calls either this week or sometime next week. They usually send them out once a month

A little over two weeks for me (IA: Nov 27, A: Dec 13). The quick turnaround surprised me. I don't think it's the norm. Just be patient. :) Like Jwinsler07 said, acceptances come out once a month. More decisions should come out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.