-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Ohio State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
soooo...deferred-decision pending 🙁 ..is this the waitlist or will there be an accepted/waitlist/rejection decision coming in the future?
I was deferred two years ago. Apparently they bring you back under review as each new interview group rolls in and compares you with that group. I eventually was rejected (deferred forever...then rejected near the end of the cycle), but don't take that as an indictment against your chances--I had major issues in my application that year.
Goodluck!! This is only the first wave of decisions! Plenty of time to be re-evaluated 🙂
EDIT: in regards to waitlist/etc. I don't think this is a waitlist--they simply have not made a decision yet on your app
soooo...deferred-decision pending 🙁 ..is this the waitlist or will there be an accepted/waitlist/rejection decision coming in the future?
We had a woman from admissions come talk to the seniors at my school last week... She said that many "extremely well qualified" applicants will be deferred and many of them will be accepted later. She was very positive about deferred applications. The fact that you have already interviewed at OSU says great things about your app, so I wouldn't panic being deferred this early in the cycle. Good luck!
I was deferred two years ago. Apparently they bring you back under review as each new interview group rolls in and compares you with that group. I eventually was rejected (deferred forever...then rejected near the end of the cycle), but don't take that as an indictment against your chances--I had major issues in my application that year.
Goodluck!! This is only the first wave of decisions! Plenty of time to be re-evaluated 🙂
EDIT: in regards to waitlist/etc. I don't think this is a waitlist--they simply have not made a decision yet on your app
We had a woman from admissions come talk to the seniors at my school last week... She said that many "extremely well qualified" applicants will be deferred and many of them will be accepted later. She was very positive about deferred applications. The fact that you have already interviewed at OSU says great things about your app, so I wouldn't panic being deferred this early in the cycle. Good luck!
thanks for the encouragement guys
OSU is def my top choice,
for the next wave of decisions!Accepted!!!
Same. Very excited!! And anybody going there for med school now gets to be a part of the Urban Meyer era; it's like a bonus!
I was so excited for both of you last night that I couldn't sleep at all! Congratulations! I hope to be receiving the same call a year from now!
Same. Very excited!! And anybody going there for med school now gets to be a part of the Urban Meyer era; it's like a bonus!
Go Bucks! Although they gave me a scare on Saturday. I'm saying it now (well I say it every year so I'm bound to be right eventually) National champs next year.
Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile
Interviewed today! 😍 Even though I go to school here, it's cool to see it from a different perspective. OSU has big things in store and I'd love to stay for another four years.
As a note to those interviewing after: they told us we would know on November 30th and that Dr. Capers will again be calling people on midnight!
As a note to those interviewing after: they told us we would know on November 30th and that Dr. Capers will again be calling people on midnight!
Great interview! As ^^ said, Dr. Capers will be letting people know the 29th/30th. Much longer wait than I'd care to have but I had a great time today!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great interview! As ^^ said, Dr. Capers will be letting people know the 29th/30th. Much longer wait than I'd care to have but I had a great time today!
The schools website states that decisions are made 10 business days after interview. I'm interviewing Wednesday are you saying I have to wait till Nov 30 to receive an answer?
For the people who got a call from Dr. Capers, did you receive an email about your acceptance (or status change) as well?
Got the call at 12:10 est, but no emails. Dr. Capers is the man.
Got an email today about a status change.For the people who got a call from Dr. Capers, did you receive an email about your acceptance (or status change) as well?
I have a question too. When we accept the offer of admission online, is that just saying that we don't wish to withdraw? It's not binding right, like we can still apply to other schools if we accept?
Today's interview survey email says that we'll be getting decisions in 2-3 weeks...Which conflicts pretty heavily with the Nov 29th/30th date they gave us at the interview
Accepted at 1:30am last night. I had already given up and gone to bed! What a surprise!

Everything is evaluated. OSU has really begun priding themselves on using a "holistic" admissions process, which includes everything about the applicant, not just the MCAT or GPA or interview or something else
Oh cool. Yeah, definitely impressed by OSU. I hope I get a call in a couple weeks.
Had a great day interviewing here!!! OSU just tied my number one spot so I hope to hear from dr Capers soon so that I'll be able to make a decision..
Dr. Capers will be calling Oct 29, decisions will be posted on the 30. I think the above posters just confused the months or perhaps Mrs. Georgia accidentally gave the wrong info. Whatever the case may be, we should hear back in a couple of weeks!!! When I get home ill post some questions that were asked. Good luck to all of the applicants!
Dr. Capers will be calling Oct 29, decisions will be posted on the 30. I think the above posters just confused the months or perhaps Mrs. Georgia accidentally gave the wrong info. Whatever the case may be, we should hear back in a couple of weeks!!! When I get home ill post some questions that were asked. Good luck to all of the applicants!
Got an email today about a status change.
I have a question too. When we accept the offer of admission online, is that just saying that we don't wish to withdraw? It's not binding right, like we can still apply to other schools if we accept?
Thanks. I'm curious about this question as well. Is accepting the offer of admission the same as "holding" an acceptance? Is it a commitment at this stage?
Okay, thanks for clearing that up!Of course, it isn't binding! Apparently, a letter will come with more details about what fees and such you need to pay to reserve your spot (nonbinding).
So is deferred essentially a slow rejection?
No. I am living proof that it is a slow acceptance.
So is deferred essentially a slow rejection?
Mrs. Georgia stated that they get looked at every month or so when the adcom's look at the files and that many of them, like the above poster, get accepted eventually.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. I am living proof that it is a slow acceptance.
i hope this is the case for me, too!
Everything is evaluated. OSU has really begun priding themselves on using a "holistic" admissions process, which includes everything about the applicant, not just the MCAT or GPA or interview or something else
Do you, or anyone for that matter, how many applicants get an accepted call each round? like a rough number?
There were about 15 people at my interview, maybe two interviews a week, with 3 weeks each round (? guess) puts there about 90 students being looked at. How many do you think get a call out of these? Sry I'm just a very quantitative person...like to know my odds. I know no one will know the answer, speculation is appreciated.
Completely depends on the group... acceptances tend to be a little rarer in the beginning of the season, just so we don't over-accept or anything. But you could get the call 3 months after you interview, the app's are continuously reviewed. Overall. there will probably be 250-280 acceptances, give or take.
Oh wow thats not very much. ok thanks for the info. One last question. On the status page there is an interview complete letter that says we can expect a decision 10 business days after our interview. For me, that day will be before Dr. Capers will be calling people. Should I expect there to be a status update before the calling or will that happen afterwards?
When did everyone with recent Interview Invites submit their secondaries? I submitted 8/30 and I'm trying to get a feel for where my application is at. Not sure if they do things chronologically or what
I submitted mine early/mid September and got my invite about a week and a half ago
Had a great day interviewing here!!! OSU just tied my number one spot so I hope to hear from dr Capers soon so that I'll be able to make a decision..
Dr. Capers will be calling Oct 29, decisions will be posted on the 30. I think the above posters just confused the months or perhaps Mrs. Georgia accidentally gave the wrong info. Whatever the case may be, we should hear back in a couple of weeks!!! When I get home ill post some questions that were asked. Good luck to all of the applicants!
Yup, she said Nov 29/30 which surprised me that it would take that long for a response post interview (I interviewed on the 15th as well). Oct 29th/30th sounds much more reasonable.
LOVED OSU. Hoping they loved me too.
Some of the questions I got:
A bunch of tell me about a time....
Where you were wrong and how did you handle it
a stressful time in your life
when you had to learn something on your own
If you weren't going into medicine what would you be doing?
How do you deal with constructive criticism?
Main things that they want to harp on are:
community service, leadership, well-rounded culturalism, etc.
Good luck to those who will interview in the future.👍
A bunch of tell me about a time....
Where you were wrong and how did you handle it
a stressful time in your life
when you had to learn something on your own
If you weren't going into medicine what would you be doing?
How do you deal with constructive criticism?
Main things that they want to harp on are:
community service, leadership, well-rounded culturalism, etc.
Good luck to those who will interview in the future.👍
from what i've read online....it seems the chances are still good...at least i hope so...i got an ii today for Feb! 🙂Interview Invite!!!! 🙂
But it is for Jan... is that too late or do I still have a decent chance?
Likewise! Any guesses on whether midnight on the 29th means Sunday night or Monday night?
Likewise! Any guesses on whether midnight on the 29th means Sunday night or Monday night?
Well they told us it that Dr. Capers will actually start at 7pm on the the 29th, but everyone should receive a status change on the 30th. We'll see, and good luck to you
I see. Thanks and you too!
Well they told us it that Dr. Capers will actually start at 7pm on the the 29th, but everyone should receive a status change on the 30th. We'll see, and good luck to you
Yep, if not at 7 it should at least be on the 29th. I didn't realize how close it is now - luckily there are Halloween festivities to take my mind off of things 😉
Extremely anxious!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we sure that it is the 29th/30th of Oct and not November? I think earlier in the thread people were saying it was going to be Nov. But I really hope it is in a few days!
I'm not sure about the decision notifications for other interview dates, but I interviewed on 10/10, and they told us everyone from that group will be notified 10/29 - 10/30. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news! Good luck to everyone else awaiting a decision!
Are we sure that it is the 29th/30th of Oct and not November? I think earlier in the thread people were saying it was going to be Nov. But I really hope it is in a few days!
Nobody else has mentioned November - so I think it was an error on their part when I interviewed. In addition, the follow-up e-mail from OSU mentioned that we should be hearing back in 2 - 3 weeks.
X
Last edited:
- Status
- Not open for further replies.