2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They gave that many invites but it's possible that some of those are not scheduled for December they could be for jan too so that number could be for both dec and jan?

Members don't see this ad.

How was the interview?

Barely made it out of there, so many scary people! Just kidding-- everyone there was ridiculously nice and like (literally) everyone here has said, they do their best to make you comfortable and relaxed. Just be prepared and have thought about the normal interview questions and you should do fine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Barely made it out of there, so many scary people! Just kidding-- everyone there was ridiculously nice and like (literally) everyone here has said, they do their best to make you comfortable and relaxed. Just be prepared and have thought about the normal interview questions and you should do fine :)

Glad to hear that, :)

Just received my II this morning!!!! <30 MCAT, 3.2 sgpa, 3.5 cgpa, completely devoted to primary care, completed in late November. They really are holistic about their application review. My application is a testament to that.

Just received my II this morning!!!! <30 MCAT, 3.2 sgpa, 3.5 cgpa, completely devoted to primary care, completed in late November. They really are holistic about their application review. My application is a testament to that.

Congratulations! Oh, seeing invites starting to go out again is very exciting. I'm sure to be checking my email a bunch the next couple weeks. :D

That's awesome! Congrats!!!

I would really like to interview here. But, I didn't specify primary care as the specialty I would be interested in pursuing. It's nothing against primary care, but I just think I would be interested in neurology. I think that was a mistake, but it was honest.

I would really like to interview here. But, I didn't specify primary care as the specialty I would be interested in pursuing. It's nothing against primary care, but I just think I would be interested in neurology. I think that was a mistake, but it was honest.

Its good that you were honest, that is never a mistake. If you look near the beginning of this thread someone else mentions the same thing. It is not an absolute requirement so you will be fine.

I told you it was a hyper friendly environment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Its good that you were honest, that is never a mistake. If you look near the beginning of this thread someone else mentions the same thing. It is not an absolute requirement so you will be fine.

+1. They were happy to hear that I was interested in a specialty that is in need of doctors (e.g., psychiatry). Dr. Ellison specifically told me that they hope 50% of the class will pursue primary care.

Just got ii! Complete early November.

I can't access the interview link they gave me though. Seems to be down.

And for those worried about not putting a primary care interest, I put neuro so no worries.

So I called them today. Toni was such a patience and polite person, haha. Despite me being the umpteenth person to call her, she answered all my redundant questions without annoyance or boredom:
  • They are still going through Nov applicants (obvious now with the two II's, lol)
  • They do indeed intend to send out invites by end of January, which is cutting it close, lol
  • They will also let people know when they were not invited for an interview (i.e., no silent rejection)
  • As EVERYONE has stated, even Toni said while you can upload updates, she's unsure whether it will have much weight pre-interview, but you are certainly welcome to upload updates via the secondary portal
After this, I think I'm going to hold off on sending them an update. I think it'll have more punch after an interview, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how QU will assess multiple MCAT scores? Will they look at the highest? Most recent? All of them?

The link in the email doesn't work. Use the link you used to fill out your secondary; its the same thing.

YO

I interviewed at Quinnipiac 11/29 and was accepted mid-December, definitely think I want to go here. Do any accepted people know what's going on with the second look weekend if they are having one? I think I remember them saying that the school would be finished in March, but I can't remember whether or not they said that we were welcome to come out on our own or what. In the acceptance email it says that they are sending us stuff at the end of May but that seems a bit late for apartment hunting and moving plans, in my case.

Also, is there a facebook group for accepted students yet? I need to talk to some east coasters about moving out there haha

YO

I interviewed at Quinnipiac 11/29 and was accepted mid-December, definitely think I want to go here. Do any accepted people know what's going on with the second look weekend if they are having one? I think I remember them saying that the school would be finished in March, but I can't remember whether or not they said that we were welcome to come out on our own or what. In the acceptance email it says that they are sending us stuff at the end of May but that seems a bit late for apartment hunting and moving plans, in my case.

Also, is there a facebook group for accepted students yet? I need to talk to some east coasters about moving out there haha

They said at the interview that they have a fantastic second look weekend planned. I can't wait haha. I don't think there's a FB group yet...but I think someone might have mentioned one in this thread somewhere.

Feel free to PM me if you need info about the east coast! I also think the admissions office would be more than happy to talk to you about apartment options and send you more info about that before they send you the "official packet".

YO

I just interviewed on Monday.They said there would be a second look weekend in mid April for accepted students after they're all set up in the new building!

They said at the interview that they have a fantastic second look weekend planned. I can't wait haha. I don't think there's a FB group yet...but I think someone might have mentioned one in this thread somewhere.

Feel free to PM me if you need info about the east coast! I also think the admissions office would be more than happy to talk to you about apartment options and send you more info about that before they send you the "official packet".

I just interviewed on Monday.They said there would be a second look weekend in mid April for accepted students after they're all set up in the new building!

Cool, sounds good. Thanks guys

YO

If you kept the folder they gave you during your interview it has a great list of apartments. I was looking through the different ones recommended and all of them are within a 10 minute drive and seemed like reasonable prices.

They posted a couple new pics on their twitter. Makes me want an II even more...

Yeah, I saw those!

I wish I could write a long letter and explain my GPA. I think it would come across wrong, so I wont do that. I just know that if, when they look at my file, they will be perplexed. My journey has been so long and there are so many details, I could probably write a book. :) Oh well, hopefully they give me a chance to interview and ask me about anything in my application that causes concern, so that I can show them what kind of student I am, and what kind of doctor I can become.

I guess most of the non-traditional students feel this way too.

Yeah, I saw those!

I wish I could write a long letter and explain my GPA. I think it would come across wrong, so I wont do that. I just know that if, when they look at my file, they will be perplexed. My journey has been so long and there are so many details, I could probably write a book. :) Oh well, hopefully they give me a chance to interview and ask me about anything in my application that causes concern, so that I can show them what kind of student I am, and what kind of doctor I can become.

I guess most of the non-traditional students feel this way too.

Well the good thing about being a non-trad is that you bring different experiences/perspectives to the entering class. Hopefully they see those as a big plus and give you an II despite your GPA.

They have two weeks to go through all the apps and are still on the Nov ones. I feel like all the interview invites will be gone by the time they get to my app -_-..Ah well, that's my own fault.

Well the good thing about being a non-trad is that you bring different experiences/perspectives to the entering class. Hopefully they see those as a big plus and give you an II despite your GPA.

They have two weeks to go through all the apps and are still on the Nov ones. I feel like all the interview invites will be gone by the time they get to my app -_-..Ah well, that's my own fault.

Yes, I feel that way too. I did not hear about the school until December, I think. If I did hear the name before December, I'm sure I thought it was Canadian, :laugh:

Yes, I feel that way too. I did not hear about the school until December, I think. If I did hear the name before December, I'm sure I thought it was Canadian, :laugh:

The first time I heard the school's name, my immediate thought was "Native American?". I thought maybe the school was going to focus on admitting students with Quinnipiac/other Native American blood or something (yeah idk). But then when I did some more research and realized how awesome the school is, I decided to apply :D

The first time I heard the school's name, my immediate thought was "Native American?". I thought maybe the school was going to focus on admitting students with Quinnipiac/other Native American blood or something (yeah idk). But then when I did some more research and realized how awesome the school is, I decided to apply :D

:laugh: Yeah, I could see that too.

Once I realized it was in Connecticut I was pretty excited. I have lived in many states across the country and traveled to almost every state but I have not had a chance to spend much time in the northeastern states. That's one of the reasons I applied to many east coast schools. The more I read up about the school and even from reading the early posts on this thread, I knew I had to apply.

:laugh: Yeah, I could see that too.

Once I realized it was in Connecticut I was pretty excited. I have lived in many states across the country and traveled to almost every state but I have not had a chance to spend much time in the northeastern states. That's one of the reasons I applied to many east coast schools. The more I read up about the school and even from reading the early posts on this thread, I knew I had to apply.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've lived in California for many many years, and was firm set on staying here for med school too, if I could. However, throughout this application cycle, I've realized that I really need to get out of this SoCal bubble. I love it here, but I think it's seriously time I go somewhere else. I've never been to the northeast so if I could go there for med school I think that'd be awesome. I saw that one twitter picture QU posted with the new building and all the snow outside and was kind of amazed. The possibility of going to med school in an environment completely different from the one I'm used to really excites me for some reason. And I've heard Connecticut is really pretty :).

If you kept the folder they gave you during your interview it has a great list of apartments. I was looking through the different ones recommended and all of them are within a 10 minute drive and seemed like reasonable prices.

Yea those seem great, thanks

Hello all,

I attended QU as an undergraduate in the science program and was recently accepted to the program. I see there is a lot of speculation going around and I wanted to tell you what I know.

Some people have been talking badly about QU's academic reputation and others have been praising it. When it comes to the health sciences, QU is not a top school when it comes to research - the school's focus is not research-based. However, when it comes to quality programs - especially PA - QU is a very well-known school. The professors at the university come from top programs and truly are leaders in their fields.

I truly believe the medical school will be one-of-a-kind. Their whole model, even how they interview people, is different from the existing systems in a number of ways, although their system involves components of systems we may run into at other interviews. Although QU stresses academics, it is VERY mission-based. If you have above average stats and HAVE EXTRACURRICULARS which show a dedication to community and volunteering, then you should have a "leg up".

It is all how you sell yourself. You obviously have more of a chance of being accepted if you have an interest in primary care. They make sure to ask a lot of questions which gives them a feel for whether you are interested in primary care.

ONE HUGE BENEFIT of QU is that all of their equipment is going to be new. Quinnipiac, as I said, is not an R1 research institution, but when they go, they go big. They are going to have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.

In addition, the charter class and the subsequent classes are going to benefit from the fact that QU has not yet received full accreditation from the LCME - that will come after the first class graduates. I believe QU will harbor a truly nurturing atmosphere for medical students - hopefully not too much micro-managing :p

I truly endorse the school as a person who has already experienced QU.

There is a lot of great things to do there - hiking the "Giant", going to New Haven to party or go out to eat...etc. Great facilities.

Happy med schooling!

Anyone from the December 7th afternoon sessions here? If so, did anyone get accepted and are you planning on attending?

Hello all,

I attended QU as an undergraduate in the science program and was recently accepted to the program. I see there is a lot of speculation going around and I wanted to tell you what I know.

Some people have been talking badly about QU's academic reputation and others have been praising it. When it comes to the health sciences, QU is not a top school when it comes to research - the school's focus is not research-based. However, when it comes to quality programs - especially PA - QU is a very well-known school. The professors at the university come from top programs and truly are leaders in their fields.

I truly believe the medical school will be one-of-a-kind. Their whole model, even how they interview people, is different from the existing systems in a number of ways, although their system involves components of systems we may run into at other interviews. Although QU stresses academics, it is VERY mission-based. If you have above average stats and HAVE EXTRACURRICULARS which show a dedication to community and volunteering, then you should have a "leg up".

It is all how you sell yourself. You obviously have more of a chance of being accepted if you have an interest in primary care. They make sure to ask a lot of questions which gives them a feel for whether you are interested in primary care.

ONE HUGE BENEFIT of QU is that all of their equipment is going to be new. Quinnipiac, as I said, is not an R1 research institution, but when they go, they go big. They are going to have state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.

In addition, the charter class and the subsequent classes are going to benefit from the fact that QU has not yet received full accreditation from the LCME - that will come after the first class graduates. I believe QU will harbor a truly nurturing atmosphere for medical students - hopefully not too much micro-managing :p

I truly endorse the school as a person who has already experienced QU.

There is a lot of great things to do there - hiking the "Giant", going to New Haven to party or go out to eat...etc. Great facilities.

Happy med schooling!

Since QU's focus is graduating future primary care physicians, and sine you admit that it is not anywhere near a research powerhouse, than would it be fair to say that it would be very difficult for anyone in the charter class(at least) to match into any of the really competitive specialties( such as ortho, rad/onc, derm, ) where completing amazing research during medical school is a necessity? I certainly don't mean to put a negative spin on the merits of QU medical, just want to get my facts straight for those who do not wish a career in primary care. Everyone ideally hopes to matriculate at an institution that meets their personal career goals. Your thoughts?

FYI, I got in touch with the Admissions Office earlier this week regarding the Second Look Program. It will start around noon on Friday, April 5th and end on the morning of Sunday, April 7th. Invitations will be sent to admitted students in about two weeks. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Thank you for getting the info for us and congrats on your acceptance! I'm excited to visit CT again in April!

Along those lines, have any admits or recent interviewees asked or heard any info about the pre matriculation program? Non-trad here and been out of school for 6 years - wondering if it could be helpful.

Has anyone recently interviewed here that doesn't want to go into primary care? I have an interview coming up and was wondering how Quinnipiac might interview applicants that are interested in other specialties.

I'd love to go here and think being part of the inaugural class would be an amazing opportunity!

Has anyone recently interviewed here that doesn't want to go into primary care? I have an interview coming up and was wondering how Quinnipiac might interview applicants that are interested in other specialties.

I'd love to go here and think being part of the inaugural class would be an amazing opportunity!

I stressed with every one of my interviewers that I wasn't 100% confident in any specialty for my future in medicine-- every physician I shadow or every grand rounds day that I go to just gets me more excited for that specialty in particular. Each of my interviewers agreed with me on that sentiment and seemed to enjoy my enthusiasm for learning new things in that regard.

Further, for anyone who has a research background: The first faculty member I interviewed with, a physician, told me that I should never apologize for doing research-- research is great and they want us to be a part of it with the capstone opportunity if we are interested.

I interviewed with Mr. Collier and he's in charge of the pre-matriculation program. They're still figuring out parts of the program but i think it's supposed to run end of May to early July.

Thanks for the info, Ed. I hope they push that timeline back closer to when school starts - having a 1.5 month gap between the program and matriculation seems long.

Thanks for the info, Ed. I hope they push that timeline back closer to when school starts - having a 1.5 month gap between the program and matriculation seems long.

Yeah, I think their thought was that you'd have some time off to relax before the semester began but I guess if you get there early you'll be ready to get started right away! I think the dates are still in the works so they definitely could still change it.

I stressed with every one of my interviewers that I wasn't 100% confident in any specialty for my future in medicine-- every physician I shadow or every grand rounds day that I go to just gets me more excited for that specialty in particular. Each of my interviewers agreed with me on that sentiment and seemed to enjoy my enthusiasm for learning new things in that regard.

Further, for anyone who has a research background: The first faculty member I interviewed with, a physician, told me that I should never apologize for doing research-- research is great and they want us to be a part of it with the capstone opportunity if we are interested.

Awesome advice! I'm not sure about my specialty either but I do want to do something more involved than primary care. Hopefully I'll be able to explain that eloquently enough at my interview. I have a pretty strong background in research too but I know for a fact I don't want to make a career out of it haha. Anyone else interview here without a strong interest in primary care?

Awesome advice! I'm not sure about my specialty either but I do want to do something more involved than primary care. Hopefully I'll be able to explain that eloquently enough at my interview. I have a pretty strong background in research too but I know for a fact I don't want to make a career out of it haha. Anyone else interview here without a strong interest in primary care?

The admissions staff understands that it's difficult for students to know exactly which field of medicine they want to pursue prior to their clerkship years of medical school. However, if you go into the interview gung ho about a certain specialty and show no interest in primary care you might have a tough time receiving an acceptance from this school. They are looking for applicants that are at the very least considering a career as a PCP.

Keep in mind that Quinnipiac plans on placing 50% of the students from the first class into primary care residencies (pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine). While QU would like to see it's students pursue careers in general internal medicine, pediatrics and family medicine, you still have the option to pursue a specialty/subspeciality post-residency. For example, if you match into a medicine residency and decide you don't want to be a general internist, you can pursue a fellowship in a number of different fields after residency (cardiology, hematology/oncology, endocrinology, etc). This is obviously not Quinnipiac's vision, but I'm sure a few QU Frank Netter grads will consider this path at some point during their residency.

Just keep an open mind about primary care and be yourself during the interview and you will do fine.

can anyone suggest any cheaper places to stay for the interview other than the ones listed on the website? thanks

can anyone suggest any cheaper places to stay for the interview other than the ones listed on the website? thanks
I stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton in Meriden, CT, which is about 15 mins (by car) from the school. I also had a rental car.

Since QU's focus is graduating future primary care physicians, and sine you admit that it is not anywhere near a research powerhouse, than would it be fair to say that it would be very difficult for anyone in the charter class(at least) to match into any of the really competitive specialties( such as ortho, rad/onc, derm, ) where completing amazing research during medical school is a necessity? I certainly don't mean to put a negative spin on the merits of QU medical, just want to get my facts straight for those who do not wish a career in primary care. Everyone ideally hopes to matriculate at an institution that meets their personal career goals. Your thoughts?
To a large extent, I believe we are going to have to see how it plays out. I know that they also bought "building 4" on the property and will convert to a research center at one point - do not know what it means for the charter class.

I do agree to some extent that it may be harder to match in other specialties. However, there are a lot of factors that come into play, such as a students performance on the Step 1 exam. Students at QU will get a really good education during the clinical years because St. Vincent's is a good institution. Also, students in their clinical years will be able to complete their clinical rotations at other institutions that St. Vincent is partnered (allied health partners). I believe a student would be able to have access to an institution that could fit his or her career goals.

Finally, the concentration capstone is something that has been required for all health science students. As an undergrad researcher, I was able to present at the same conference as PAs, PTs and OTs. It is a really interesting conference and it is clear that a good amount of research went into all of the presentations. The capstone for medical students will involve research to some extent - we have to wait and see how much.

QU is dedicated to helping students reach their career goals and I believe they will help a student find a program that is fitting for him or her.

That being said, we have to wait and see - Obviously due to QU's mission, it will be much easier to find primary care residencies. At this point I believe that students seeking other residency positions should be fine as long as they do well on the Step 1, choose a relevant topic for the capstone and seek out any research opportunities that may be available.

To a large extent, I believe we are going to have to see how it plays out. I know that they also bought "building 4" on the property and will convert to a research center at one point - do not know what it means for the charter class.

I do agree to some extent that it may be harder to match in other specialties. However, there are a lot of factors that come into play, such as a students performance on the Step 1 exam. Students at QU will get a really good education during the clinical years because St. Vincent's is a good institution. Also, students in their clinical years will be able to complete their clinical rotations at other institutions that St. Vincent is partnered (allied health partners). I believe a student would be able to have access to an institution that could fit his or her career goals.

Finally, the concentration capstone is something that has been required for all health science students. As an undergrad researcher, I was able to present at the same conference as PAs, PTs and OTs. It is a really interesting conference and it is clear that a good amount of research went into all of the presentations. The capstone for medical students will involve research to some extent - we have to wait and see how much.

QU is dedicated to helping students reach their career goals and I believe they will help a student find a program that is fitting for him or her.

That being said, we have to wait and see - Obviously due to QU's mission, it will be much easier to find primary care residencies. At this point I believe that students seeking other residency positions should be fine as long as they do well on the Step 1, choose a relevant topic for the capstone and seek out any research opportunities that may be available.

I agree, but also for an idea of match options look at the residencies at the affiliated hospitals, in house residencies can have a strong influence (e.g. The LOR carries more weight). I think St. Vincent has IM and radiology. I have their other major affiliate has FM. I have to slightly disagree about St V's. I have QU has outstanding faculty and facilities for preclinical years, but I think St V's is the one weakness I can identify. I don't mean to be negative, but just realistic about pros and cons. I just don't see it as a great clinical site. Diverse yes, but not very well regarded locally. I believe they are hoping affiliating with QU will change that.

I agree, but also for an idea of match options look at the residencies at the affiliated hospitals, in house residencies can have a strong influence (e.g. The LOR carries more weight). I think St. Vincent has IM and radiology. I have their other major affiliate has FM. I have to slightly disagree about St V's. I have QU has outstanding faculty and facilities for preclinical years, but I think St V's is the one weakness I can identify. I don't mean to be negative, but just realistic about pros and cons. I just don't see it as a great clinical site. Diverse yes, but not very well regarded locally. I believe they are hoping affiliating with QU will change that.

Oh, I agree with you concerning residency positions at St. V's, but I was talking more along the lines of clinical rotations - From what I know the core rotations will be done at St. Vincent's or an allied health partner...I believe that that will be a good program. Hopefully we can get some good LOR's from there.

The one "scary" part of all of this is that we simply don't know yet how its going to play out.

True. I just reread my last post. My auto correct went a little crazy lol. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.