2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:laugh: Yeah, I just want to call up and say, "pick me! pick me!" :D

haha!! yeah, that would be my next approach i guess. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Second Look weekend April 5-6 for those who wanted to know this information - Got letter in the mail today...can't wait to meet my future class!

Second Look weekend April 5-6 for those who wanted to know this information - Got letter in the mail today...can't wait to meet my future class!

+1, got the letter today too. Can't wait!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, it's Friday again. I hope at least one of us on here gets an interview invite today! :D

Were there any acceptances etc. yesterday? I remember them saying the adcom meets on wednesdays to discuss candidates and the decisions are released thursdays. I'm curious to know what interview dates they're reviewing right now!

Were there any acceptances etc. yesterday? I remember them saying the adcom meets on wednesdays to discuss candidates and the decisions are released thursdays. I'm curious to know what interview dates they're reviewing right now!

You should call in and ask! Toni has been very helpful

Anyone else interviewing Feb 1st? I'm in the PM session!

Just broke down, cried on the phone with admissions, told them I have a wife and three starving kids, and won't they please think of the children. They kindly offered to extend the invites for another week.

j/k but I did call, and they said it's taking longer than expected. Erin said they are going to be sending invites out for the next two weeks. Kinda wish they weren't, but also glad they are!

Just broke down, cried on the phone with admissions, told them I have a wife and three starving kids, and won't they please think of the children. They kindly offered to extend the invites for another week.

j/k but I did call, and they said it's taking longer than expected. Erin said they are going to be sending invites out for the next two weeks. Kinda wish they weren't, but also glad they are!

Hahaha, so basically they're not going to be able to give out all II's by the end of this month and have to spill into Feb?

Hahaha, so basically they're not going to be able to give out all II's by the end of this month and have to spill into Feb?
Call and ask. I was nervous because it isn't the Toni I know and love, lol. I was like, "Okay, so I've already asked if this is Toni because her voice sounded weird, I won't press my luck in the case her temperament is different."

Objectively, fully aware of the paranoia and weirdness I'm exhibiting. But Erin's super friendly as well, so no worries there, lol.

Call and ask. I was nervous because it isn't the Toni I know and love, lol. I was like, "Okay, so I've already asked if this is Toni because her voice sounded weird, I won't press my luck in the case her temperament is different."

Objectively, fully aware of the paranoia and weirdness I'm exhibiting. But Erin's super friendly as well, so no worries there, lol.

Alright, so I anonymously called and spoke to Toni. She said there's a very good chance that they're going to go into February for II's, and that for those of us who haven't heard anything since being complete, we will definitely be notified of our status (II, or otherwise) within the next 10-14 days.

I asked her what applications are being looked at right now, in terms of when they were complete. I don't think she understood my question...but she said that at this point they're reviewing all of the applications (?). I guess they have everyone's completed apps and are just going through all of them? Yeah I'm not too sure what she meant by that...

So basically we can all expect either an II or a rejection email within the next two weeks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like we have to wait for Monday.

Looks like we have to wait for Monday.
My inbox continues to mock me. Don't use Live Mail for med school:
Wow, you've got a very clean inbox! (Did you know you can receive messages from other email accounts?)
I know they mean importing from YOUR OWN accounts, but right now, the lack of communication makes it sound belittling, lol, like I don't know how email works. :laugh:

I called as well, not sure who I spoke to but she definitely didn't say her name and I asked about my application and she didn't look it up or anything, she just said 'they are going through all of the applications now" That was it. I don't know how you guys get info from them, but thanks for sharing!!!!

I called as well, not sure who I spoke to but she definitely didn't say her name and I asked about my application and she didn't look it up or anything, she just said 'they are going through all of the applications now" That was it. I don't know how you guys get info from them, but thanks for sharing!!!!

Maybe it was someone other than Toni. Regardless, it sounds like it no longer matters when we were complete since they're looking at all the applications right now. I'm imagining a large table with hundreds of files all haphazardly spread over it, while a reviewer closes his eyes and randomly picks a file to be reviewed next :laugh:

+1, got the letter today too. Can't wait!!
Who's planning on going to Second Look Weekend? Looks like it's scheduled for Friday and Saturday - anyone else flying in from California?

Who's planning on going to Second Look Weekend? Looks like it's scheduled for Friday and Saturday - anyone else flying in from California?

There were two people when I interviewed who were also from LA, weird! Will be going to the second look weekend if accepted :) Should be hearing back around 2/14

I will be going to second look! I am so excited to meet everyone! :)

Hey - I don't know which ones of you have been accepted and I will ask this again once the Facebook group is up but I was a QU undergrad and got accepted to the med school awhile ago...I need a roomie for med school...I ALREADY have an apartment left from undergrad and my current roomie is only going to be with me for the rest of this year - until the summer...so PM me if you may be interested in checking it all during second look weekend (or another time if you are close).

Yeah, looking forward to meeting everyone! Hopefully the Facebook group is up soon and a lot of questions will be answered at Second Look, too.

Anyone know what date they're up to for reviewing post interview applications?

Anyone know what date they're up to for reviewing post interview applications?
Based on the posts here, it seems like they are doing them all in one lump now, dates be damned. Otherwise, I should have gotten an invite or a rejection based on their "everyone will know their final status" policy.

Last edited:
I was hoping to hear something today!! I'd just like to know either way at this point!!

Based on the posts here, it seems like they are doing them all in one lump now, dates be damned. Otherwise, I should have gotten an invite or a rejection based on their "everyone will know their final status" policy.

i think we still got more than the two weeks thing to find out for sure. Maybe in two weeks those that were not going to get a II will know their final status but i think they are supposed to give some more II and these people wont interview till later? Wasn't someone saying they were going all the way to the end of march for the interview season?

i think we still got more than the two weeks thing to find out for sure. Maybe in two weeks those that were not going to get a II will know their final status but i think they are supposed to give some more II and these people wont interview till later? Wasn't someone saying they were going all the way to the end of march for the interview season?
Yeah, I meant pre-interview people will find out whether they get an interview or are rejected in the next two weeks, nothing in the middle. Hope that clears things up. :)

Yeah, I meant pre-interview people will find out whether they get an interview or are rejected in the next two weeks, nothing in the middle. Hope that clears things up. :)

haha who really knows what happens these days....

Yep, I've confirmed a bunch of times. I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying, but someone mentioned that they're interviewing in Feb, which makes me think that there may be even more dates later in Feb that are filled/starting to get filled but that we don't know about. If that's the case, it makes sense that they'll be sending out II's for another 2 weeks or so before they run out of interview dates. IMO I think they'll be done giving out II's in two weeks, maybeee three if we're being optimistic. I just don't think that there are many II's left to give out at this point.

Yep, I've confirmed a bunch of times. I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying, but someone mentioned that they're interviewing in Feb, which makes me think that there may be even more dates later in Feb that are filled/starting to get filled but that we don't know about. If that's the case, it makes sense that they'll be sending out II's for another 2 weeks or so before they run out of interview dates. IMO I think they'll be done giving out II's in two weeks, maybeee three if we're being optimistic. I just don't think that there are many II's left to give out at this point.
Agreed, which makes me feel like sending an LOI now would be better than post interview... :(

It's ok everyone, they have our files and they know we are interested. Lets give them a chance to sort through them.

The way I imagine them right now, is the same way I go through clothes to decide what to keep and what to give away.

I lay them all out and start grabbing my favorites. Then I throw away any with big holes or stains. Then I am left with the big group in the middle and they all have qualities I like. So I have to take that group and go through them a few times to try and make it smaller because there is only so much room in my closet.

They would love to interview all of us but they are limited so at this point the decisions get to be more difficult. They will look at all of us and hopefully all of us on here will get good news soon. Until then, lets try to be patient and not worry ourselves so much.

It's ok everyone, they have our files and they know we are interested. Lets give them a chance to sort through them.
The thing is, I haven't heard of a single rejection, which sounds like they will send a mass rejection after they send the invites, at which point it will be too late. Better to do it now while we are in the reject pile than to wait for the email confirming, you know? I'm still holding out mind you, but we'll see...

lol, that paragraph sounds like I have an inferiority complex. I'm just thinking of worse case scenarios.

The thing is, I haven't heard of a single rejection, which sounds like they will send a mass rejection after they send the invites, at which point it will be too late. Better to do it now while we are in the reject pile than to wait for the email confirming, you know? I'm still holding out mind you, but we'll see...

lol, that paragraph sounds like I have an inferiority complex. I'm just thinking of worse case scenarios.

we have heard mostly from Dec people. Nothing really at all from Jan people. There have been a few rejections and a wait list from what i recall.

The way I imagine them right now, is the same way I go through clothes to decide what to keep and what to give away.

I lay them all out and start grabbing my favorites. Then I throw away any with big holes or stains. Then I am left with the big group in the middle and they all have qualities I like. So I have to take that group and go through them a few times to try and make it smaller because there is only so much room in my closet.

They would love to interview all of us but they are limited so at this point the decisions get to be more difficult. They will look at all of us and hopefully all of us on here will get good news soon. Until then, lets try to be patient and not worry ourselves so much.

That was a great analogy, haha

I'm sure people have been rejected, both pre-secondary and pre-interview, they just don't post it on SDN.

I do get what you're saying though. I don't think sending a LOI at this point will hurt really...What was your reservation about sending one? I remember you were planning to send one a while ago

I'm sure people have been rejected, both pre-secondary and pre-interview, they just don't post it on SDN.

I do get what you're saying though. I don't think sending a LOI at this point will hurt really...What was your reservation about sending one? I remember you were planning to send one a while ago
Everyone I talked to (Toni included!) said they don't think it'll even be acknowledged/noticed, and then it won't be "fresh" in the case of an interview.

Also, the people who were rejected, corrected me if I'm wrong, but weren't they all post-interview? Did I miss a pre-interview rejection? I keep only thinking in terms of pre-interviewers because that's what I am. :)

Everyone I talked to (Toni included!) said they don't think it'll even be acknowledged/noticed, and then it won't be "fresh" in the case of an interview.

Also, the people who were rejected, corrected me if I'm wrong, but weren't they all post-interview? Did I miss a pre-interview rejection? I keep only thinking in terms of pre-interviewers because that's what I am. :)

what do you mean "fresh" in case of an interview?

Nevermind, I misunderstood your original post. My bad. You're right that rejections have been post-interview. They will prob send out the remaining II's and then everyone who didn't get a secondary or II will get a mass rejection email.

sadface.

what do you mean "fresh" in case of an interview?
So information you send after an interview is looked at in a different light, and critically analyzed alongside your interview. Since you're now in the smallest pool of applicants (i.e., the only ones that are accepted), the updates you send them are more critical than the part of the application that landed you the interview. That stuff is no longer as strongly looked, since they went over it to consider you for an interview. Post-Interview, they are saying, "okay, we already decided he's good enough, now what about accepting over the other people who are good enough?"

Of course they still look at your whole application, but it's within a different context. Everything is weighted differently.

My two cents.

Makes sense, but what about the other half of the argument where sending updates before might help you get an interview if the updates do get read...

Hope we hear back today

Makes sense, but what about the other half of the argument where sending updates before might help you get an interview if the updates do get read...

Hope we hear back today

wasn't someone saying something about wednesdays when they make decisions? can anyone confirm this?

I sent a letter of interest after people who applied before me received interview invitations, and I ended up with an interview invitation. It doesn't hurt-- like someone said earlier, they aren't going to see your eagerness as "oh, let's reject him because he really wants to come here"! Haha

For those of you that got interview invites, what time of day did they send the email?

For those of you that got interview invites, what time of day did they send the email?
About 8am monday morning. But I'm not sure if it's a consistent thing since they're a new school.

Man I hope my file isn't already in the "reject" pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.