2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a QU graduate and have been accepted to QU's med school. I also have an apartment in Hamden now and found out my roomy is moving out next year - Lease ends May 21st - so.....

I am accepting roomy applications now for someone to take over the lease lol. PM me for more details!

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone who has interviewed or is in the know, will Quinnipiac record their lectures for first year? The MSAR says no, but I suspect that information was unknown at the time.

It's Friday before a 3-day weekend! Going to keep my fingers crossed that they get to my application!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who has interviewed or is in the know, will Quinnipiac record their lectures for first year? The MSAR says no, but I suspect that information was unknown at the time.

I asked nearly the same question and was told that they plan on having the highest quality electronic equipment for recording lectures.

when were you complete?

:xf: mine too

Well I did not submit my primary until December and it was too close to the holiday so they didn't give me the secondary until the first week of January. I promptly returned it, thanks to SDN for posting the questions, so I could pre-write. So if they review strictly chronologically, I will be one of the last to hear back.

I asked nearly the same question and was told that they plan on having the highest quality electronic equipment for recording lectures.

They said they would videotape every basic science lecture I think! They pointed it out when they showed my tour group the pictures of the new lecture hall.

Well I did not submit my primary until December and it was too close to the holiday so they didn't give me the secondary until the first week of January. I promptly returned it, thanks to SDN for posting the questions, so I could pre-write. So if they review strictly chronologically, I will be one of the last to hear back.

We are pretty much in the same boat :(

Do you all think we should update with our fall grades if we have not interviewed or if we have not been invited to interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you all think we should update with our fall grades if we have not interviewed or if we have not been invited to interview?

Aren't we required to do so, along with any other update to the application?

Aren't we required to do so, along with any other update to the application?
Typically only if you're invited for interview. Each school has their own policy, though, so you should call or look online if it's specifically stated.

It won't hurt. Just upload your latest transcript as a PDF under the Additional Information tab.

Smile :) We can do this! Just remember you will be an excellent doctor and you will end up at whichever school is the right fit.

Ah, you're right. It's just that this school would actually be a really good fit for me. Hopefully whoever reviews my application will think so too and give me an II !

More pictures are posted on twitter.

I hope more Interview invites come out soon.

quiet week so far
I wasn't posting because I didn't want to make people's hearts skip (like you two just did!). I was at the end of Nov, so I'm very concerned they've already looked over me and were not impressed.

I wasn't posting because I didn't want to make people's hearts skip (like you two just did!). I was at the end of Nov, so I'm very concerned they've already looked over me and were not impressed.

Sorry, does your email go off whenever we post?

More pictures are posted on twitter.

I hope more Interview invites come out soon.

+1

Haha my heart skips whenever I get the email notification that someone posted. Sometimes it lags a little so it'll say there's one new post, but when I check the thread it turns out there were 4 new posts. I freak out thinking the school just gave out a ton of interviews.

I'm thinking that they randomly assign completed files to different adcom members and then those adcom members go through each one at their own pace to determine interview invites. I think that's why people complete at different times in November have been getting II's (e.g someone complete at the end of November gets and II, and then someone who was complete at the beginning of November). Maybe some adcom members are just going through their pile of files faster than others making it seem like QU is finished with files completed in November. I hope that makes sense, there may be a chance that your file hasn't been read yet by your adcom member. This is all complete speculation btw, I really don't know how they're going about figuring out who gets an interview and in what order.

+1

Haha my heart skips whenever I get the email notification that someone posted. Sometimes it lags a little so it'll say there's one new post, but when I check the thread it turns out there were 4 new posts. I freak out thinking the school just gave out a ton of interviews.

I'm thinking that they randomly assign completed files to different adcom members and then those adcom members go through each one at their own pace to determine interview invites. I think that's why people complete at different times in November have been getting II's (e.g someone complete at the end of November gets and II, and then someone who was complete at the beginning of November). Maybe some adcom members are just going through their pile of files faster than others making it seem like QU is finished with files completed in November. I hope that makes sense, there may be a chance that your file hasn't been read yet by your adcom member. This is all complete speculation btw, I really don't know how they're going about figuring out who gets an interview and in what order.

At my interview, Dr. Yeckel said there are only two people who look over completed secondary applications and they must both agree that the applicant should be interviewed. If one of them doesn't agree, they put it aside until later when they can come back to it.

I sent in my secondary on the first possible day that I could, and I received an interview invitation weeks after other people did.

At my interview, Dr. Yeckel said there are only two people who look over completed secondary applications and they must both agree that the applicant should be interviewed. If one of them doesn't agree, they put it aside until later when they can come back to it.

I sent in my secondary on the first possible day that I could, and I received an interview invitation weeks after other people did.

Good information, thank you.

That's rough...so if they don't both agree then your file is in limbo for an indefinite amount of time...

That's rough...so if they don't both agree then your file is in limbo for an indefinite amount of time...

Well their goal is to finish sending out invites by the end of January so, it's more like limbo for up to two weeks. :)

Unless they exceed their goal a little and hand out a couple in February.

I wonder if the admissions committee employs the same type of decision-making process to make a final, post-interview decision. I interviewed in early-to-mid December and have yet to hear back (even though others have apparently received decisions from that same time period). I'm kind of fearing that my application has been set aside due to some sort of disagreement.
I'm just so anxious to get a final decision; I have fallen in love with this program. Now, I can't picture myself anywhere else! Crossing my fingers that some (good) news comes tomorrow (Thursday seems to be when they send decision notifications).

Have any rejections been issued or have the decisions been limited to "accepted" or "waitlisted?"

Well their goal is to finish sending out invites by the end of January so, it's more like limbo for up to two weeks. :)

Unless they exceed their goal a little and hand out a couple in February.

Very True! Although I'm so tired of waiting, I just want to know haha. When it gets closer to February, I'll give them a call to see if they've finished giving out II. Last time I talked to Toni she said that their goal is to send them all out by the end of Jan, but they may need to spill over to Feb. I guess we'll just have to see

Does any one know if the primary and secondary applications are both reviewed to give an II offer? Or is that decision solely made on secondary essays? Also, post interview, is the acceptance decision made based on the overall application, or just the interview performance?

I think they've already sent out II for Feb. They sent me my II on 12/20/12 and the earliest date I could get was Feb 11th.

Does any one know if the primary and secondary applications are both reviewed to give an II offer? Or is that decision solely made on secondary essays? Also, post interview, is the acceptance decision made based on the overall application, or just the interview performance?

a few pages back we have seen a mix of acceptances and rejections i believe with high/low numbers so not much of a correlation to numbers per say. I would think overall app, but nobody as far as i know has shed any light onto what happens after a interview for a decision.

in short, i just waisted 30 seconds of your time with a "i don't know" sorry lol

i think we would all like to know some insights

:confused:

Pretty sure that with regards to II's, the primary + secondary + LOR's are all taken into consideration, and post- interview it's primary + secondary + LOR's + interview.

Associate Dean of Admissions goes through EACH app and makes a final call.

a few pages back we have seen a mix of acceptances and rejections i believe with high/low numbers so not much of a correlation to numbers per say. I would think overall app, but nobody as far as i know has shed any light onto what happens after a interview for a decision.

in short, i just waisted 30 seconds of your time with a "i don't know" sorry lol

i think we would all like to know some insights

:confused:
Interviewers write their take on an applicant - committee convenes and applicants are brought up and discussed/voted on.

Associate Dean of Admissions goes through EACH app and makes a final call.
I am talking for interview invites in this post. Most schools don't have a single person make the call, but QU does. That is not to say others don't read it and make suggestions - duh lol.

So am I the only one who half freaks out every time I log into the online portal and begins to read the welcome message?

There is nothing wrong with the message but the first sentence sounds so much like every rejection letter. :oops: "Thank you for your interest..."

I have to re-read the whole message just to make sure :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice welcome letter and shows the friendliness of the school. :)

So am I the only one who half freaks out every time I log into the online portal and begins to read the welcome message?

There is nothing wrong with the message but the first sentence sounds so much like every rejection letter. :oops: "Thank you for your interest..."

Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice welcome letter and shows the friendliness of the school. :)
It's become the case that each passing moment now makes me less and less hopeful with this school. They are friendly, but if they intend to finish by next week, I should have heard by now...

now that one really made everyone's heart skip

It's become the case that each passing moment now makes me less and less hopeful with this school. They are friendly, but if they intend to finish by next week, I should have heard by now...

I feel the same way. I called yesterday and they said they would be sending out invites this week.

I feel the same way. I called yesterday and they said they would be sending out invites this week.

I sure hope they send some today. I'm so impatient lately, I just need to focus on school, but I want to know where I'm going next year. :)

You are definitely not the only one who thinks that!

This week as in today and tomorrow? Hopefully some of us get some good news soon!

Yesterday they said "in the next 3 days." I think I have called too much because they know who I am. Can't be good!

Yesterday they said "in the next 3 days." I think I have called too much because they know who I am. Can't be good!
No, you called too much not because they know who you are, but because you're getting paranoid like the rest of us, lol :laugh: I'm very sure they aren't going to ding you for showing interest.

No, you called too much not because they know who you are, but because you're getting paranoid like the rest of us, lol :laugh: I'm very sure they aren't going to ding you for showing interest.

:laugh: Yeah, I just want to call up and say, "pick me! pick me!" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.