2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3.44s, 3.47u, 35. Lots of clinical, lots of volunteering, 2school years of research. Did I miss anything? :p

Nope, thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should start charging a fee for interview advice at QU :p Congrats to everyone that just got an interview - maybe I'll see some of you in the fall.

Awesome! What was in it?!

Can't wait to check the mail :)

The packet contained an acceptance letter, message from the dean of student affairs, the apartment listing we received at the interview, some financial aid stuff and a "Cultural and Visitors Guide" to the Greater New Haven area!

Members don't see this ad :)
The packet contained an acceptance letter, message from the dean of student affairs, the apartment listing we received at the interview, some financial aid stuff and a "Cultural and Visitors Guide" to the Greater New Haven area!
Got mine today! Very fancy and official - it feels so much more real now!

Are you going to Second Look Weekend?

If you are an accepted student and have not yet joined the group on facebook, please do so, so that we can get to know each other before second look weekend! Obviously you don't have to go telling everyone what your SDN account s/n is if you don't want to so there is no connection :)

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/528407600526334/

I am personally wondering about those numbers because medical schools are not really supposed to "over-book" when they are first starting (when they have their charter class). I know after a med school is established, it is common practice to overbook.

This comment was directed at something said awhile back...you that have interviews now, I doubt the class is full yet - so don't worry lol

What Specfically? There was a lot said a while back!

For those accepted, are you 100% planning on going to QU?

There was a post that said they wanted to give 90 acceptances and 60 waitlist...I didn't quote it properly - my apologies.

Yeah I mean that's what one of the admissions people said to my group. I've read that other start ups are worried about low-balling since they know they're not always people's first choices. These were just rough estimates though, he wasn't quoting them from some official document etc.

Yeah I mean that's what one of the admissions people said to my group. I've read that other start ups are worried about low-balling since they know they're not always people's first choices. These were just rough estimates though, he wasn't quoting them from some official document etc.

I have been trying to find the AAMC's guideline in this matter. I am still trying to determine if they are required to not overbook or if it is only a guideline. I know I recently read that overbooking in the beginning is not suggested because they have no way of telling from past experience how the waitlist shift is going to be. We shall see!

I have been trying to find the AAMC's guideline in this matter. I am still trying to determine if they are required to not overbook or if it is only a guideline. I know I recently read that overbooking in the beginning is not suggested because they have no way of telling from past experience how the waitlist shift is going to be. We shall see!

GOT THE ANSWER! I called AAMC - they do not sanction what medical schools do. There is a suggested guideline that med school shouldn't over enroll when they start but there is nothing stopping them from doing so. So theoretically QU could over enroll...I mean 90 seems super high to me lol

I believe it has more to do with the LCME provisional accreditation standards and less to do with the AAMC. Not positive though.

GOT THE ANSWER! I called AAMC - they do not sanction what medical schools do. There is a suggested guideline that med school shouldn't over enroll when they start but there is nothing stopping them from doing so. So theoretically QU could over enroll...I mean 90 seems super high to me lol

90 does not sound that high when you think that the top candidates have multiple offers and those students are more likely to choose a proven program over a new program.

by accepting 90 they are expecting that about 30 or so will go elsewhere? Is that a reasonable number? anyone know?

i dont understand why they wouldn't accept 60 -65 and then have a wait list of 60 spots? By accepting 90 the wait list movement itself wont move a whole lot unless a lot of people who elsewhere?

just my thoughts

I believe it has more to do with the LCME provisional accreditation standards and less to do with the AAMC. Not positive though.

This is correct, I believe if they accept too many applicants it will effect accreditation status, so they are really trying to adhere to the 60 students. There might be some leeway here and there but definitely not 30 more than the allotted amount

by accepting 90 they are expecting that about 30 or so will go elsewhere? Is that a reasonable number? anyone know?

i dont understand why they wouldn't accept 60 -65 and then have a wait list of 60 spots? By accepting 90 the wait list movement itself wont move a whole lot unless a lot of people who elsewhere?

just my thoughts

IMO, it's reasonable. Keep in mind that QU got added to AMCAS in October. Even though they started interviews late November, by the time they sent out their first acceptances, some people had already been accepted to a more established school. These people will likely drop their acceptance at QU. Expecting ~30 people to not have QU as a first choice makes sense to me, especially those with higher stats.

IMO, it's reasonable. Keep in mind that QU got added to AMCAS in October. Even though they started interviews late November, by the time they sent out their first acceptances, some people had already been accepted to a more established school. These people will likely drop their acceptance at QU. Expecting ~30 people to not have QU as a first choice makes sense to me, especially those with higher stats.
I just looked at the LCME rules of procedure and they are pretty strict, for accreditation purposes, how many students a new school can enroll. There has to be an assessment of the student enrollment-resources ratio and that study determines the enrollment. If they want to change their numbers, they have to inform the LCME a COUPLE of YEARS in advance. This makes me feel like they would rather adhere to their originally announced charter class size and tender more offers for waitlist positions...to avoid possible overbooking.

I think I'm going to cancel my interview at QU. I'm wiped out and I don't think I can do much more this cycle.

I think I'm going to cancel my interview at QU. I'm wiped out and I don't think I can do much more this cycle.

If you decide to cancel your interview, please let admissions know asap so they have enough time to send an II to another person! :)

Woah, didn't mean to start a such serious discussion of the matter! I guess this is why admissions typically don't give specific numbers regarding acceptances and the size of their waitlist. So us worried applicants waiting to hear don't analyze it too much!! And premed! You're already in so you've got nothing to worry about :)

I was just trying to give people on the thread any info I heard at the interview. Anything I wrote on here wasn't intended to be an official piece of info- QU have a lot of experienced faculty in admissions and at the school as a whole so I'm sure whatever the numbers are (more or less I don't know!!) they know what to do to get exactly 60 and they did stress that with LCME accrediation that they would have exactly that number enrolled at the start of orientation.

Canceling my interview and withdrawing my application. I'd be happier living in VA than CT even if it means going to a DO school over an MD. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Canceling my interview and withdrawing my application. I'd be happier living in VA than CT even if it means going to a DO school over an MD. Good luck everyone!

Thank you for the heads up.

I hope one of us gets that interview.

np. It's a late notice (and I'm sorry for that). The interview slot is the pm session on Feb 11th. I hope one of you can make it.

Thank you for the heads up.

I hope one of us gets that interview.

np. It's a late notice (and I'm sorry for that). The interview slot is the pm session on Feb 11th. I hope one of you can make it.
Wow, you're picking DO over an MD school based on factors other than the two letters! Good on you!

Still, as noble and not shallow your decision is, there are still more options and bias towards MDs. I work with pharma companies as my day job, and we've had big pharma companies refer to DOs as "fake doctors" when looking for people to give research funding to.

When people say there's no distinction, I'm not sure what avenue of medicine it is in, but every single one I've passed through has made a distinct and deliberate one.

Just my two cents. You have the acceptance in your hand, you should at least give the school a look-around and might be pleasantly surprised. You should do it without stress as well, since you already have a school that wants you. :)

I'm sharing my objective experiences, and not out to start a DO vs MD war.

Haha yea i know what you mean. I also interviewed at 4 MD schools and have been pretty much waitlisted at all of them. I guess I'm just tired of being waitlisted.

And I really don't mind going DO over MD. I just wanted to try to get MD and I gave it a good shot.

Wow, you're picking DO over an MD school based on factors other than the two letters! Good on you!

Still, as noble and not shallow your decision is, there are still more options and bias towards MDs. I work with pharma companies as my day job, and we've had big pharma companies refer to DOs as "fake doctors" when looking for people to give research funding to.

When people say there's no distinction, I'm not sure what avenue of medicine it is in, but every single one I've passed through has made a distinct and deliberate one.

Just my two cents. You have the acceptance in your hand, you should at least give the school a look-around and might be pleasantly surprised. You should do it without stress as well, since you already have a school that wants you. :)

Woah, didn't mean to start a such serious discussion of the matter! I guess this is why admissions typically don't give specific numbers regarding acceptances and the size of their waitlist. So us worried applicants waiting to hear don't analyze it too much!! And premed! You're already in so you've got nothing to worry about :)

I was just trying to give people on the thread any info I heard at the interview. Anything I wrote on here wasn't intended to be an official piece of info- QU have a lot of experienced faculty in admissions and at the school as a whole so I'm sure whatever the numbers are (more or less I don't know!!) they know what to do to get exactly 60 and they did stress that with LCME accrediation that they would have exactly that number enrolled at the start of orientation.
haha yes I am accepted, but I enjoy talking about the school on here still - it is still an unknown because, heck, they are still building the place - although it is starting to really take shape now, inside and out.

haha yes I am accepted, but I enjoy talking about the school on here still - it is still an unknown because, heck, they are still building the place - although it is starting to really take shape now, inside and out.

Definitely! Crossing my fingers to join you in anticipation soon.

Definitely! Crossing my fingers to join you in anticipation soon.
When did you interview exactly and who did you interview with? If I understand correctly, the committee meets on Weds.? We shall see what happens!

Anyone get an interview this week (or last)? Thursday and Friday are the only days left. :(

You mean they will not be inviting people in the following weeks - this is it?

Anyone get an interview this week (or last)? Thursday and Friday are the only days left. :(

No..:(

I hope at least one of us can get an II. It really seems like they've slowed down (or stopped) with the invites...but since the last person who got one was able to schedule for the beginning of March, I'm going to hang on to a little thread of hope that they're not done yet.

In case anyone has anything against DO, here is a fact they may want to know: there are A LOT of DO's at St. Vincent's, Midstate and Middlesex.

No..:(

I hope at least one of us can get an II. It really seems like they've slowed down (or stopped) with the invites...but since the last person who got one was able to schedule for the beginning of March, I'm going to hang on to a little thread of hope that they're not done yet.

Hope you're right. Crossing fingers for the next two days. Last week the invites all came in later in the week right?

In case anyone has anything against DO, here is a fact they may want to know: there are A LOT of DO's at St. Vincent's, Midstate and Middlesex.
I have nothing against DOs :) I'm just being honest. There's very successful Caribbean doctors leading and owning hospitals. Exceptions to everything.

So yeah, not to sound preachy, but I don't want to derail the thread. I was just telling Cuongoff he should take the interview, and was in no way bashing DOs. If you disagree with me about him taking the interview, that's one thing, but I'm not attacking DOs, so there's no need to defend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.