2013-2014 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey so anybody get a letter asking them to apply to the Biomedical certificate program?

Do you have any questions regarding that program?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any questions regarding that program?

Yeah! I was curious as to how many they accept and if those asked to apply are pretty much garunteed a spot in the program?

Also if you know of anyone that has completed it and their thoughts on it? Super appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I have an IA for possession of alcohol in dorms is it even worth applying to Loma Linda, given their explicit secondary question and rule about it?

Is it still a problem? Would you be able to comment on what you did about it?

Yeah! I was curious as to how many they accept and if those asked to apply are pretty much garunteed a spot in the program?

Also if you know of anyone that has completed it and their thoughts on it? Super appreciate your help!

Ok, so here's how the Biomed program works. If you get offered a biomed spot, take it. Basically, you are enrolled in a program where you take most (but not all) of the MS1 classes - giving you exposure to critical fundamental material. IF you get accepted into the biomed program AND you want to become an MS1, you are expected to score higher than the class average at the end of the year. For example, if the class average for Anatomy is 75% at the end of the year, your cumulative score in anatomy must be >75% to pass the course.

So what happens if you pass all your courses? It means you can reapply to gain entrance into the next first year class. Yes, that means you have to complete AMCAS again. It's not Loma Linda's fault really...it's just that if you want to enter a US medical school, you'll have to complete an AMCAS for that year (and get reinterviewed). Barring some unusual circumstance, if you've passed all of your classes, you are generally accepted right into the following first year class.

The second time around, you'll generally be more confident of the material, and in many ways, will be a mentor to the struggling MS1's who are adjusting to new material.

IF you don't get accepted into MS1 after your first biomed year, you have some courses that you'll complete that will eventually net you a Masters degree in Biomedical Sciences.

MS1 Students who repeat first year or are a biomed student tend to score better on Step 1 (at Loma Linda) just because you get double exposure to first year material.

In the end, the repeat students/biomed students can be your best friends.

Is it still a problem? Would you be able to comment on what you did about it?

It occurred over a year ago, and definitely not a problem. Essentially, I learned from the experience that there is no such thing as "the wrong place at the wrong time," because you always have control over what situations you put yourself in. I am able to articulate this quite well with applications to things other than drinking or whatever; ie to be successful you have to put yourself in favorable situations, for example to do well on a test you should study ahead of time rather than putting yourself in a bad situation and not studying till the night before.

I realize that most medical schools will be accepting of the fact that i got in trouble as long as I can articulate that I learned from the mistake, but I wasn't sure if Loma Linda had a more severe stance on that sort of thing. Judging off your response, it doesn't seem like they are too harsh, and it wouldn't be a total waste to apply. Thank you.

It occurred over a year ago, and definitely not a problem. Essentially, I learned from the experience that there is no such thing as "the wrong place at the wrong time," because you always have control over what situations you put yourself in. I am able to articulate this quite well with applications to things other than drinking or whatever; ie to be successful you have to put yourself in favorable situations, for example to do well on a test you should study ahead of time rather than putting yourself in a bad situation and not studying till the night before.

I realize that most medical schools will be accepting of the fact that i got in trouble as long as I can articulate that I learned from the mistake, but I wasn't sure if Loma Linda had a more severe stance on that sort of thing. Judging off your response, it doesn't seem like they are too harsh, and that it wouldn't be a total waste to apply. Thank you.

I would honestly say that if you truly learned something from the experience and are able to articulate this, I don't think it's a waste to apply.

Ok, so here's how the Biomed program works. If you get offered a biomed spot, take it. Basically, you are enrolled in a program where you take most (but not all) of the MS1 classes - giving you exposure to critical fundamental material. IF you get accepted into the biomed program AND you want to become an MS1, you are expected to score higher than the class average at the end of the year. For example, if the class average for Anatomy is 75% at the end of the year, your cumulative score in anatomy must be >75% to pass the course.

So what happens if you pass all your courses? It means you can reapply to gain entrance into the next first year class. Yes, that means you have to complete AMCAS again. It's not Loma Linda's fault really...it's just that if you want to enter a US medical school, you'll have to complete an AMCAS for that year (and get reinterviewed). Barring some unusual circumstance, if you've passed all of your classes, you are generally accepted right into the following first year class.

The second time around, you'll generally be more confident of the material, and in many ways, will be a mentor to the struggling MS1's who are adjusting to new material.

IF you don't get accepted into MS1 after your first biomed year, you have some courses that you'll complete that will eventually net you a Masters degree in Biomedical Sciences.

MS1 Students who repeat first year or are a biomed student tend to score better on Step 1 (at Loma Linda) just because you get double exposure to first year material.

In the end, the repeat students/biomed students can be your best friends.

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to know how many are admitted to the program?

How many people are accepted off of the alternate list on average?

I called the Admissions Office a while ago and, not surprisingly, they aren't comfortable sharing historical numbers for waitlist movement since it varies every year. I'm not sure if the Dean's Office would give you different results but as wonderdog said, it's worth a try if you really want to know.

Does LLU offer any sort of feedback on the application if you're not accepted or waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has award info been given out? I haven't received anything.

Sorry to break the silence. Any news, or are they waiting for June for the waitlist movement dust to settle? The last SDN-reported acceptance was well over a month ago before the May 15th deadline.

How's everyone else doing? Hanging in there alright?

Now that someone has broke the silence I'll ask, any news for any Biomed Program people? Anyone heard around when they they start sending out acceptances?

Now that someone has broke the silence I'll ask, any news for any Biomed Program people? Anyone heard around when they they start sending out acceptances?

Ok, so finals are over. The first years are finishing up their end of year rotations. The current biomeds just got their interviews last week. Things are gonna be moving again shortly for ya'll

Should we send an updated transcript if we are on the waitlist (or does Loma Linda only want an official transcript if you're accepted)? and if so, is there a form we are supposed to attach to the transcript? the "you're on the alternate list" description isn't super clear

Yes, you can send in an unofficial transcript (PDF) by e-mail. If accepted then you would also later send in an official transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
How's everyone else doing? Hanging in there alright?

After a month of drafting and editing, I just finished my new personal statement. This means I can be accepted off the waitlist now, right? :)

Last edited:
Do you know of any LDS (Mormons) that attend Loma Linda? The religious atmosphere, with no alcohol/tobacco/drugs, is appealing to me, as they are things that we Mormons avoid as well. I know that Southern California has a decent-sized LDS population.

Do you know of any LDS (Mormons) that attend Loma Linda? The religious atmosphere, with no alcohol/tobacco/drugs, is appealing to me, as they are things that we Mormons avoid as well. I know that Southern California has a decent-sized LDS population.

There is a mormon in our class. A lot of social values are definitely shared.

So normally when I logged in to the Loma Linda University site to check my application status, there was a whole menu with financial aid and information and I could see that I was on the alternate list. Monday I logged in and its all gone. Now all that's left is a single tab that says Apply For Admissions. What does that mean? Was I removed from the waitlist?

So normally when I logged in to the Loma Linda University site to check my application status, there was a whole menu with financial aid and information and I could see that I was on the alternate list. Monday I logged in and its all gone. Now all that's left is a single tab that says Apply For Admissions. What does that mean? Was I removed from the waitlist?
Click on site map on the top right and it should have a page with Fin aid info

Sent from my phone.

Yeah I'm LDS and have really enjoyed my time at Loma Linda. I have created a lot of great friendships with SDA students and the similarities in standards is def. a plus. I really haven't had any concerns and would say that while beliefs aren't entirely in line, standards and convictions are very similar.

Can we realistically expect any more spots for the wait list to open up?

Edit: Just looked at your post history and I think I misinterpreted your question. Have you had an interview and you're still waiting on a waitlist/acceptance/rejection decision? If you haven't heard anything post-interview, definitely contact the Admissions Office ASAP; at this point, everyone should fall into one of those three categories.

They have deviated from historical acceptance dates a couple of times this cycle, but most have still been on the third week of each month. All of the previous threads show waitlist acceptances no earlier than the third week of June, so it may be 2 more weeks until anyone hears anything.

2012-2013: June 19 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.895222/page-10#post-14165818
2011-2012: June 25 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.823412/page-10#post-12708369
2010-2011: June 17 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.728255/page-10#post-11142701
2009-2010: June 21 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pplication-thread.625420/page-12#post-9832063
2008-2009: June 19 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...application-thread.546953/page-5#post-8320480

It looks like most movement will happen by the third or maybe fourth week of this month. Beyond that, a small number of people reported acceptances in July. It is also difficult to know for sure because it seems like Loma Linda has a relatively small population of SDN users.

Loma Linda is different from other schools with its waitlist movement most likely because they want to make sure to address the Biomed students before turning to the waitlist. It's been a very long wait, but we're almost there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Edit: Just looked at your post history and I think I misinterpreted your question. Have you had an interview and you're still waiting on a waitlist/acceptance/rejection decision?

They have deviated from historical acceptance dates a couple of times this cycle, but most have still been on the third week of each month. All of the previous threads show waitlist acceptances no earlier than the third week of June, so it may be 2 more weeks until anyone hears anything.

2012-2013: June 19 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.895222/page-10#post-14165818
2011-2012: June 25 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.823412/page-10#post-12708369
2010-2011: June 17 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...plication-thread.728255/page-10#post-11142701
2009-2010: June 21 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pplication-thread.625420/page-12#post-9832063
2008-2009: June 19 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...application-thread.546953/page-5#post-8320480

It looks like most movement will happen by the third or maybe fourth week of this month. Beyond that, a small number of people reported acceptances in July. It is also difficult to know for sure because it seems like Loma Linda has a relatively small population of SDN users.

Loma Linda is different from other schools with its waitlist movement most likely because they want to make sure to address the Biomed students before turning to the waitlist. It's been a very long wait, but we're almost there.
Thanks for the detailed information. It's helpful to have a little bit of clarity in this process.

Edit: Just looked at your post history and I think I misinterpreted your question. Have you had an interview and you're still waiting on a waitlist/acceptance/rejection decision? If you haven't heard anything post-interview, definitely contact the Admissions Office ASAP; at this point, everyone should fall into one of those three categories.

I've been wait listed so I think it was accurate.

The question still remains whether that was for Biomed acceptances only. If so, then waitlist acceptances may still be next week. We will have to wait and see!

Anybody wanna call and see if the waitlist moved? :}

Ok, so I know waitlisted acceptances went out last Thursday. I also know that Biomed's were offered spots last Thursday as well.

So is this the point at which we can call it unlikely? That's depressing.

So is this the point at which we can call it unlikely? That's depressing.

Not necessarily. I know of a few people who turned down acceptances off the wait list.

That is good to know. Thank you!

Acceptances rolling out tonight as well. I know some people have gotten phone calls!

Lol this school. No acceptance, no rejection, no call, yet call themselves religious? That's an insult to me, at lease reject me!!

Hanging on to the last thread of hope until Thursday, the turning point after which it's probably unlikely. We're essentially one month away from orientation day already. :(

Hanging on to the last thread of hope until Thursday, the turning point after which it's probably unlikely. We're essentially one month away from orientation day already. :(

So some of my classmates were accepted during the first two weeks.

Some people decide during the first two weeks in the hospital that medicine is not for them.

How did that work out for them? I imagine that was a lot of added stress with sending in all of the paperwork, getting financial aid set up to pay for everything, finding a place to live, moving, and getting acclimated to the area, all while being days or even a week behind in classes (edit: nevermind about that last part; I saw that basic science instruction didn't start until 8/20). I assume they work with those students as much as they can and offer extensions on all of the normal deadlines.

Of course, I would consider all of those to be good problems to have and would be extremely happy to be in that position! It has not been particularly uplifting to wade through the secondaries for the next cycle, so I definitely appreciate a more positive outlook. I know you probably don't go around asking everyone, but do you have any idea how many students received their acceptances in the span from July to August? SDN-reported data for Loma Linda is rather sparse.

Last edited:
How did that work out for them? I imagine that was a lot of added stress with sending in all of the paperwork, getting financial aid set up to pay for everything, finding a place to live, moving, and getting acclimated to the area, all while being days or even a week behind in classes (edit: nevermind about that last part; I see that basic science instruction doesn't start until 8/20). I assume they work with those students as much as they can and offer extensions on all of the normal deadlines.

Of course, I would consider all of those to be good problems to have and would be extremely happy to be in that position! It has not been particularly uplifting to wade through the secondaries for the next cycle, so I definitely appreciate a more positive outlook. I know you probably don't go around asking everyone, but do you have any idea how many students received their acceptances in the span from July to August? SDN-reported data for Loma Linda is rather sparse.

Not sure about the July August thing. Not many though. Many 2-3 at most. I know of 2 in my class.

You're not really behind at all if you miss part of the 2 weeks. There are 2 hours of lecture that is testable in the first 2 weeks, but can easily be learnt in a couple of hours on the weekend.

And there you took away the hope again. :p Just joking; it's better anyway to be realistic than to retain false hope. I guess we really are at the point of it being possible but very unlikely, considering that the waitlist seems to be somewhat large.

Thanks for taking the time that you have now to share your information with us. I know that things are going to get even busier for you in the next year!