2014-2015 David Geffen School of Medicine University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and yeah, the accepted students fb is surprisingly small, esp since most of the people in there seem to be current students. (trying to get my hopes up that our chances of getting accepted soon ahhhhhh)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It hardly feels like the majority of acceptances went out this month. Can anyone confirm?

I honestly think more people were accepted in Jan/Feb than were this March. There were really only a handful that posted on here.

And how accurate is this rumor going around that we'll actually have concrete decisions in the next 2 weeks?

+1

This wait is getting ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
It hardly feels like the majority of acceptances went out this month. Can anyone confirm?

I honestly think more people were accepted in Jan/Feb than were this March. There were really only a handful that posted on here.

And how accurate is this rumor going around that we'll actually have concrete decisions in the next 2 weeks?[/QUOTE

Well, that post about the 2 weeks was about a week ago. So, looks like we'll find out whether it's true or not this week :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering.. are interview invites done from UCLA?

has anybody confirmed the 2 weeks decision date with the admissions office again?

Reactions: 1 user
I called the admissions office on 3/18 and they said they would update everyone within the next few weeks. They're still sending acceptances.

Reactions: 4 users
I called the admissions office on 3/18 and they said they would update everyone within the next few weeks. They're still sending acceptances.

hrmm ok. do you know if they're just doing portal updates, or will they send emails? cause it seems like now, if you get a "letter sent" thing, it could mean more than just acceptance. or are they only sending acceptances at the moment?

Hoping for good news for you all!!! :)

On another note, do any current students have insight on what the dress code is for second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
hrmm ok. do you know if they're just doing portal updates, or will they send emails? cause it seems like now, if you get a "letter sent" thing, it could mean more than just acceptance. or are they only sending acceptances at the moment?

She didn't say anything about sending emails, so I think everything will still be done through the portal. You're right... it sounds like "letter sent" could mean anything now.

Did anyone on here receive a "Leaders of Tomorrow" scholarship yet?

Hey guys I know the wait is the worst part of this whole thing... I just wanted to pop in and encourage you all that this whole thing will be over in just a few months!

Stay strong, incomers! Life has a way of working out! :)

Reactions: 6 users
They've already offered as many acceptances as they have seats, per the traffic rules.

So, I don't see them having any reason to give out a big wave of acceptances until after the mandatory deadline to pick one (April 30).

Hold on to your seats until then.

Though, I am kinda sad that there really weren't that many acceptances posted here from March (as compared to Jan/Feb) when they kinda said that the majority would be given out in Mar/Apr.

There really only seemed to be a couple, maybe 3 or 4 people, mentioning DGSOM acceptances (not including PRIME and Drew).

They've already offered as many acceptances as they have seats, per the traffic rules.

So, I don't see them having any reason to give out a big wave of acceptances until after the mandatory deadline to pick one (April 30).

Hold on to your seats until then.

Though, I am kinda sad that there really weren't that many acceptances posted here from March (as compared to Jan/Feb) when they kinda said that the majority would be given out in Mar/Apr.

There really only seemed to be a couple, maybe 3 or 4 people, mentioning DGSOM acceptances (not including PRIME and Drew).

So does that mean everyone else will be waitlisted or rejected?

So does that mean everyone else will be waitlisted or rejected?

I don't know the answer to that.

I'm assuming that instead of formally waitlisting before the April 30 deadline (as other med schools do), UCLA decides to just send out some more acceptances after the deadline (enough to fill the seats again) and then, after this second waves, builds a waitlist/sends out rejections (maybe some time in May this year).

Did anybody else check their status and see "final letter sent" about 4 days ago? I haven't received the letter yet.

Nice! Congrats. So you got a final letter status changed 4 days ago? do you remember if you checked the portal in the morning or night?

I just checked it tonight and saw that the date the letter was sent was four days ago but I haven't received it in the mail yet. I think now these letters can be any of acceptance/rejection/waitlist right?

Nvm checked status again it said accepted students checklist and led to portal for acceptance

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I'm an accepted student from the East Coast where I was born and raised, also where I attended undergrad. I'm really excited to most likely make the move to the West but I'm wondering how the class dynamics are (obviously the largest % will be from the west coast area). Also could someone explain whether school location affects my residency chances on either coast? I've heard that it is easier to get a Cali residency if I attend a school here, and I noticed that very few people (~13/year) actually do their residency in the east.

Hey, current 4th year here. I'm not sure what you mean by class dynamics? There hasn't been any sort of east vs west coast tension that I'm aware of, anyway...

I've heard rumors that it's hard for a true west coast applicant to match on the east coast; however, if you're born and raised and went to undergrad on the east coast it shouldn't be a problem. We had plenty of people match outside of California who wanted to, but I think the stats are probably the way they are more so because most (like me) really wanted to stay in CA. In fact, I ranked all my LA programs at the top of my list.

I think checking it out here for a few years of med school is actually to your advantage, if anything. Hope you choose DGSOM :) :welcome:

Reactions: 5 users
is it safe to say that if we haven't heard by this point, our chances are pretty slim?

sadnesss :( i wish theyd just give everybody some sort of decision so we can at least know where we stand...

sadnesss :( i wish theyd just give everybody some sort of decision so we can at least know where we stand...

Seriously : /. Does anyone remember when Dr. Hall said we could call the admissions office to see where we stand? Did he say after April 1 or after April 30?

Thanks for your reply! Could you elaborate on what you mean why "checking it out here for a few years of med school is actually to your advantage"? As in, I'd get a more unique experience?

As in, you will have different/unique life experiences switching up coasts for med school :)

I was wondering the same- would you mind sharing the answer? Thanks!

Yeah sure bud, monicawright sent me this quote from the AAMC:

"Starting in February, for all students they have accepted, med schools can see where else they have been accepted via the Multiple Acceptance Report. In April of the application year all medical schools can see a list of all applicants with a current Acceptance or Matriculated action via the National Acceptance Report."-AAMC

If med schools can see where students have been accepted via the Multiple Acceptance Report, do you guys think geffen will be more/less likely to accept students who have not yet matriculated into another program?

Do any current medical students know how strict UCLA is about completing undergraduate requirements? I was accepted, but I haven't been able to enroll some classes (last chem class) to complete my requirements to matriculate.

Do any current medical students know how strict UCLA is about completing undergraduate requirements? I was accepted, but I haven't been able to enroll some classes (last chem class) to complete my requirements to matriculate.
I would give them a call. Better safe than sorry!

Definitaly contact them, but if you are on a quarter system, it might be okay. I only had 3/4 of a year in physics lab (but had a full year of physics). It was fine! If they tell you you need it though, you can always take a quick UCLA extension course before matriculating.

do you think it is a good idea to send an additional LOR post-interview right now? i havent received any decision yet. @catzzz88 @Juan Solo

If the additional LOR includes a major improvement or life change, it could show your continued interest in the school. I am not sure what our policy is though. Try calling the admissions office and checking in!

do you think it is a good idea to send an additional LOR post-interview right now? i havent received any decision yet. @catzzz88 @Juan Solo

I don't know. It depends. Do you need an additional to explain your case to get into medical school? Or is this coming out of a place of anxiety because you haven't heard a response yet or the response that you were hoping for?

I don't know. It depends. Do you need an additional to explain your case to get into medical school? Or is this coming out of a place of anxiety because you haven't heard a response yet or the response that you were hoping for?

haha definitely the latter. i was going to send the LOR to schools where I've been waitlisted at, and was just wondering if i might as well also should send it along to schools I haven't heard back from