You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It will if you are rejected. If you don't see it yet, you haven't been rejected.Does the portal make it very clear you have been rejected? Mine has said the same thing for months, that my application is complete and that it is being reviewed at the top~~ just wanted to check that the rejection info isn't in some other tab.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do a lot of people still have that same status of "screening"?
yupp have had it for over 4 months now haha
+1yupp have had it for over 4 months now haha
Never missed a day.
Don't know about a lot of people, @Earl Simmons, but I am stuck in that 0.22-micron filter and have been for months! I guess that I am the human equivalent of an applicant's "safety school." Sigh.Do a lot of people still have that same status of "screening"?
Do a lot of people still have that same status of "screening"?
Yep, it wouldn't surprise me if Puke silently rejected most of us at the end. That's usually how it goes with this stuff.
Last edited:
^But it wouldn't really make any sense for them to silently reject some people and outright reject others on the portal.
Medical school admissions don't make sense, that's the name of the game. They basically reject everyone who isn't interviewed at the end of the cycle that's the silent/delayed rejection.
Duke will let you know if you get rejected, though you have to check the portal (there's no email). If someone else got rejected before you, it's also likely that they submitted their app before you.Yep, it wouldn't surprise me if Puke silently rejected most of us at the end. That's usually how it goes with this stuff.
When do we expect the decisions to go out, first Monday in march?
Hopefully mid February because the deadline is now April 30 for this year.When do we expect the decisions to go out, first Monday in march?
When do we expect the decisions to go out, first Monday in march?
Can someone with a January interview ask?
At my interview this week, we were told decisions would be emailed the last Monday of February through the first Monday of march
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II this morning (by call? was very groggy lol), so unbelievably shocked - huge underdog, LM~66 but I did have strong essays I guess 😛 dates left in february. anyone know if I'd be interviewing for the WL at that point?
Edit to add: complete in late August
Edit to add: complete in late August
Last edited:
you got the invite by a phone call?II this morning (by call? was very groggy lol), so unbelievably shocked - huge underdog, LM~66 but I did have strong essays I guess 😛 dates left in february. anyone know if I'd be interviewing for the WL at that point?
email and call haha. I was so confused by the call but I guess he wanted to make sure I picked a date soon, cus he said something about maybe needing to add moreyou got the invite by a phone call?
so it was Richard Wallace on the phone?email and call haha. I was so confused by the call but I guess he wanted to make sure I picked a date soon, cus he said something about maybe needing to add more
no, no, I admit I was a little too groggy (from lack of sleep, and then delirious from excitement) to catch his name but it was something like Dr. Yiso it was Richard Wallace on the phone?
Dr. Yee. Very nice man
@kjj17, you must be special indeed! Congratulations!
II this morning (by call? was very groggy lol), so unbelievably shocked - huge underdog, LM~66 but I did have strong essays I guess 😛 dates left in february. anyone know if I'd be interviewing for the WL at that point?
Edit to add: complete in late August
Isn't today Sunday? 😵 Congrats though!!!
I know... I am just as perplexed hahaIsn't today Sunday? 😵 Congrats though!!!
oh man I'm just shocked. this is only my 3rd II, the other two are nowhere in the same league (Albany and a state school), I'm totally completely perplexed. very happy but honestly quite confused haha. I think my essays were good, but my life story isn't really incredible in any way... plus I'm aware that my stats are an extreme outlier to their norm. very thankful but still completely surprised haha@kjj17, you must be special indeed! Congratulations!
^ if you can tell by the incoherence of this response, my brain is still mush from shock
Congrats!! My impressions from Duke is that they really look at applicants differently than most other schools. They really read through the secondary essays and really try to get a sense of who you are as a person. I was thoroughly impressed on my interview day!I know... I am just as perplexed haha
oh man I'm just shocked. this is only my 3rd II, the other two are nowhere in the same league (Albany and a state school), I'm totally completely perplexed. very happy but honestly quite confused haha. I think my essays were good, but my life story isn't really incredible in any way... plus I'm aware that my stats are an extreme outlier to their norm. very thankful but still completely surprised haha
^ if you can tell by the incoherence of this response, my brain is still mush from shock
so it was Richard Wallace on the phone?
I believe Rdubs retired
oh nooo I was really looking forward to hearing him speak :'(I believe Rdubs retired
Wait. He spoke at my interview?oh nooo I was really looking forward to hearing him speak :'(
Wait. He spoke at my interview?
He spoke at mine too but I think a student mentioned that we were lucky to interview early so that we'd get his speech.
Speaking of which, it's an inspirational story, and I'm holding back tears, though I do cynically wonder why that long talk is part of their admissions day. In general, the schools with similar closing-arguments (if you will) are more memorable, which can be important when sought-after applicants are choosing where to matriculate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He retired a few weeks ago, so the first half of the applicants this season were the last to hear him speak.Wait. He spoke at my interview?
I didn't get the vibe that he was trying to sell Duke during that speech so much as trying to remind us why we want to study medicine, and inspiring us to do something with our time because of how precious time is. I felt that Dean Armstrong already sold Duke perfectly with her rousing beginning of the day speech.Like, I guess the story *is* somewhat related to an inspiring doctor he interacted with ("you should be that doctor"), but I really hope Rdubs isn't, even on the smallest level, exploiting his friend's memory to protect Duke's yield.
I didn't get the vibe that he was trying to sell Duke during that speech so much as trying to remind us why we want to study medicine, and inspiring us to do something with our time because of how precious time is. I felt that Dean Armstrong already sold Duke perfectly with her rousing beginning of the day speech.
Less that he was directly selling Duke, but his speech absolutely implants in our memories, and consequently makes the entire visit and institution more memorable. Ask what I think of NYU and I'll say "I have no effing idea. There was a nice talk by the dean at the beginning, but we all went home after the MMI and brief tour". They lacked closure, and so they're less memorable to me (NYU is). So Duke and RDubs did a great job at staying in our minds and our conversations.
I don't think there's anything wrong whatsoever with making the visit to Duke memorable. That way, even if I don't end up attending Duke, I will still feel like I was able to gain something from my visit. But also, his speech has made no impact on how much I want to attend Duke since I'm more focused on the features that will continually affect me over the four years than one memorable afternoon.Less that he was directly selling Duke, but his speech absolutely implants in our memories, and consequently makes the entire visit and institution more memorable. Ask what I think of NYU and I'll say "I have no effing idea. There was a nice talk by the dean at the beginning, but we all went home after the MMI and brief tour". They lacked closure, and so they're less memorable to me (NYU is). So Duke and RDubs did a great job at staying in our minds and our conversations.
I think the effect is wholly subconscious; of course, you won't consciously weigh that speech when choosing where to matriculate, but I want to focus on the subconscious mnemonic anchoring effects of a charismatic speech.
OK, to relate this to our favorite podcast, Serial:
Is it suspicious that Adnan can hardly remember anything about that day?
It isn't if we trust him that the day was like any other. Unremarkable, so unmemorable.
Conversely, we'll remember details of all kinds when those details are anchored by an emotional event.
At Duke, Rdubs's closing speech is the anchoring emotional event that confers long-term memory on the other details of the day. Those are the very details (e.g. the community feel at the school, stories you heard about 3rd yr opportunities, new buildings, etc) that you might forget at other schools months later, but you'll remember about Duke.
OK, to relate this to our favorite podcast, Serial:
Is it suspicious that Adnan can hardly remember anything about that day?
It isn't if we trust him that the day was like any other. Unremarkable, so unmemorable.
Conversely, we'll remember details of all kinds when those details are anchored by an emotional event.
At Duke, Rdubs's closing speech is the anchoring emotional event that confers long-term memory on the other details of the day. Those are the very details (e.g. the community feel at the school, stories you heard about 3rd yr opportunities, new buildings, etc) that you might forget at other schools months later, but you'll remember about Duke.
Last edited:
Oh no you did not just link the two things I do to pass the time together (SDN & Serial). And to your point, my interview day at Duke stands out most even after interviewing at other schools.I think the effect is wholly subconscious; of course, you won't consciously weigh that speech when choosing where to matriculate, but I want to focus on the subconscious mnemonic anchoring effects of a charismatic speech.
OK, to relate this to our favorite podcast, Serial:
Is it suspicious that Adnan can hardly remember anything about that day?
It isn't if we trust him that the day was like any other. Unremarkable, so unmemorable.
Conversely, we'll remember details of all kinds when those details are anchored by an emotional event.
At Duke, Rdubs's closing speech is the anchoring emotional event that confers long-term memory on the other details of the day. Those are the very details (e.g. the community feel at the school, stories you heard about 3rd yr opportunities, new buildings, etc) that you might forget at other schools months later, but you'll remember about Duke.
Last edited:
Less that he was directly selling Duke, but his speech absolutely implants in our memories, and consequently makes the entire visit and institution more memorable. Ask what I think of NYU and I'll say "I have no effing idea. There was a nice talk by the dean at the beginning, but we all went home after the MMI and brief tour". They lacked closure, and so they're less memorable to me (NYU is). So Duke and RDubs did a great job at staying in our minds and our conversations.
That speech has so much staying power that my cab driver knew the general outline of it.
II this morning (by call? was very groggy lol), so unbelievably shocked - huge underdog, LM~66 but I did have strong essays I guess 😛 dates left in february. anyone know if I'd be interviewing for the WL at that point?
Edit to add: complete in late August
No waitlist-only interviews at Duke! We are a non-rolling school with all decisions released at the end of the interview season.
Congratulations on your interview!
Crossing my fingers for this one. Oy... So close to the end. C'mon dukeeee 🙂
Congrats to the people getting these interviews!
Congrats to the people getting these interviews!
sorry if asked already, but do the raters read your app beforehand or is it blind?
I don't know, but it doesn't matter because you and the raters are not discussing your application. You're discussing external scenarios and hypotheticals.
Blindsorry if asked already, but do the raters read your app beforehand or is it blind?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete in August too and nothing so far.Been complete since 8/25 and still no word yet. Anyone with a similar wait?
Been complete since 8/25 and still no word yet. Anyone with a similar wait?
Complete in August too and nothing so far.
Duke does send out rejections as they go along, but for some reason they only do this by the handful. The majority of rejections come later, at the end of December or through the New Year. Also, those who are rejected early don't seem to necessarily represent the worst of the stack (at least based on numbers and even ECs), so don't feel bad if you or someone you know was one of those to get a swift cut. It might've just been clear to the adcom reviewers that those students, while strong in their own right, were likely not the best fit for Duke.
Appreciate the response. Thanks.Duke does send out rejections as they go along, but for some reason they only do this by the handful. The majority of rejections come later, at the end of December or through the New Year. Also, those who are rejected early don't seem to necessarily represent the worst of the stack (at least based on numbers and even ECs), so don't feel bad if you or someone you know was one of those to get a swift cut. It might've just been clear to the adcom reviewers that those students, while strong in their own right, were likely not the best fit for Duke.
8/11. Yearning. . .Been complete since 8/25 and still no word yet. Anyone with a similar wait?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K