You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Are they done interviewing? How long does the II cycle last? Anyone?
I was complete 2 days after they released secondaries (so super early in July) and I just got a phone call with an II earlier this week.
It isn't over until its over (A.K.A. March/April). Good luck, Vaccinator.
I thought they stop interviewing in February since they announce their decisions around the end of that month.I was complete 2 days after they released secondaries (so super early in July) and I just got a phone call with an II earlier this week.
It isn't over until its over (A.K.A. March/April). Good luck, Vaccinator.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought they stop interviewing in February since they announce their decisions around the end of that month.
On Duke's site, it says that the interview period should end on February 15, but that could be subject to change:
http://dukemed.duke.edu/modules/ooa_applicant/index.php?id=7
I thought they stop interviewing in February since they announce their decisions around the end of that month.
On Duke's site, it says that the interview period should end on February 15, but that could be subject to change:
http://dukemed.duke.edu/modules/ooa_applicant/index.php?id=7
Really? I didn't know that. I suppose I should do some more research before answering. Sorry about that, Vaccinator!
No worries....Best of luck to you for the interview tho.Really? I didn't know that. I suppose I should do some more research before answering. Sorry about that, Vaccinator!
II just now! Complete August. It seems there was only one interview day left in mid-Feb.
Last edited:
II just now! Complete August. It seems there was only one interview day left in mid-Feb.
Same here, and totally stoked! Though being a stereotypical Bostonian, I have no idea how one even gets to Durham..
Go to Logan Airport and fly to Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Congratulations on your II!!!Same here, and totally stoked! Though being a stereotypical Bostonian, I have no idea how one even gets to Durham..
I was under the impression that the latter is true. Decisions are made relatively quickly.Interviewed here recently and absolutely loved the school. Does anyone know if Duke is receptive to LOI? Or are decisions made soon after the interview so LOI wouldn't even matter? Thanks in advance.
I was under the impression that the latter is true. Decisions are made relatively quickly.
+1
Congrats!! Thank you for the positive info. May I ask when you were complete?I also got a II today, and just wanted to say that Dr. Yee (I think) mentioned that, even though there are only a few dates left right now, they are planning to add more in late february/march. So there is hope!
Interviewed here recently and absolutely loved the school. Does anyone know if Duke is receptive to LOI? Or are decisions made soon after the interview so LOI wouldn't even matter? Thanks in advance.
Dr. Armstrong said at my interview day not to send updates because they won't be added to your file or affect your decision.
Unless you've been waitlisted. After you're waitlisted, an update might be appropriate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Armstrong said at my interview day not to send updates because they won't be added to your file or affect your decision.
Unless you've been waitlisted. After you're waitlisted, an update might be appropriate.
To put a quick comment on this, I sent in an update the same day as my interview because my publication had been accepted. I think that if you have something that you could send that same day, it would work. That's what I did at least.
At other schools, this would manifest in the same manner of simply telling your interviewer. Duke is different, of course, because MMI changes things somewhat.
hmmm did she say anything more about the decision process? I have low stats (major underdog for Duke, LM~66) so I always wonder how much that factors into the post-interview process, or if getting to the interview is a bit of an equalizer and then interview performance is the major factor onwardsDr. Armstrong said at my interview day not to send updates because they won't be added to your file or affect your decision.
Unless you've been waitlisted. After you're waitlisted, an update might be appropriate.
Well she didn't mention anything regarding the weight of the interview on my day. But in her opening remarks she did say that Duke looks for people who are able to overcome obstacles/recover from mistakes and who show potential for brilliance, so I have a feeling that the review post-interview is also somewhat holistic. Just my 2 cents.hmmm did she say anything more about the decision process? I have low stats (major underdog for Duke, LM~66) so I always wonder how much that factors into the post-interview process, or if getting to the interview is a bit of an equalizer and then interview performance is the major factor onwards
hmmm did she say anything more about the decision process? I have low stats (major underdog for Duke, LM~66) so I always wonder how much that factors into the post-interview process, or if getting to the interview is a bit of an equalizer and then interview performance is the major factor onwards
The students seemed to think that the interview was what mattered most post-interview, but that was also second-hand information and their personal perspective.
My dream school entering this cycle... complete July 01... desperately hoping but losing hope of having an II 🙁
Congrats to all of you guys who got the last few II's!!
Congrats to all of you guys who got the last few II's!!
My dream school entering this cycle... complete July 01... desperately hoping but losing hope of having an II 🙁
Congrats to all of you guys who got the last few II's!!
Wow, since July?? More power to ya. You would think that they would make decisions on giving out II's to applications in the order they are received...
Patience is a virtue, though!
@researchismymiddlename forgets to mention all the dream schools for whom she was the dream student and who hastened to admit her!!My dream school entering this cycle... complete July 01... desperately hoping but losing hope of having an II 🙁
Congrats to all of you guys who got the last few II's!!
@researchismymiddlename forgets to mention all the dream schools for whom she was the dream student and who hastened to admit her!!
Awww man you just make me go 😳 every single time! 😀
gotcha thanks 🙂The students seemed to think that the interview was what mattered most post-interview, but that was also second-hand information and their personal perspective.
ooh I see. that makes sense why they took a chance on me cus I wrote a pretty lengthy essay on how I recovered from a brutal freshman/sophomore year (hence the low LM)Well she didn't mention anything regarding the weight of the interview on my day. But in her opening remarks she did say that Duke looks for people who are able to overcome obstacles/recover from mistakes and who show potential for brilliance, so I have a feeling that the review post-interview is also somewhat holistic. Just my 2 cents.
ooh I see. that makes sense why they took a chance on me cus I wrote a pretty lengthy essay on how I recovered from a brutal freshman/sophomore year (hence the low LM)
They also said that they have separate readers for the academic portion (transcripts, university) and the essays. They didn't want the school or grades to affect how the essays were read.
hmmm did she say anything more about the decision process? I have low stats (major underdog for Duke, LM~66) so I always wonder how much that factors into the post-interview process, or if getting to the interview is a bit of an equalizer and then interview performance is the major factor onwards
I had the distinct impression that they take the MMI evaluations very seriously and weigh them heavily. They also told us we would be evaluated throughout the day, not just at the MMI. But I don't recall anything concrete about how much interview day matters compared to the rest of your app.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received an II today after being complete late August!
Received an II today after being complete late August!
Congrats!
wow! Congrats! I too, have been complete since late Aug. Still waiting...Received an II today after being complete late August!
wow! Congrats! I too, have been complete since late Aug. Still waiting...
Same here lol
Was anyone else a goofball who forgot to complete the survey until over a month after the interview? Just me?
Do schools know if you complete it or not?Was anyone else a goofball who forgot to complete the survey until over a month after the interview? Just me?
At duke it is required for ur application to be reviewed but they don't look at your answers until after the application cycle is over.Do schools know if you complete it or not?
Hey everyone! I'll be interviewing here in mid-January, and was wondering what people have done for the overnight stay. I submitted a request for a student host, but if that doesn't work out, there seems to be the Millennium Hotel option at the $99 rate (plus $40 shuttle to get there from airport). Does anyone else have any suggestions on where to stay/how to get around? My funds are dwindling as the interview season's progressed, so I'm hoping to find the cheapest options possible!
Airbnb is usually a cheap option for finding a place to stay on short notice. It might be less convenient in Durham just because it's not the most pedestrian friendly city, but there were a couple places within walking distance of Duke when I checked.Hey everyone! I'll be interviewing here in mid-January, and was wondering what people have done for the overnight stay. I submitted a request for a student host, but if that doesn't work out, there seems to be the Millennium Hotel option at the $99 rate (plus $40 shuttle to get there from airport). Does anyone else have any suggestions on where to stay/how to get around? My funds are dwindling as the interview season's progressed, so I'm hoping to find the cheapest options possible!
Cab/Uber splitting to get to the airport is also much cheaper than the shuttle. Probably not practical on the way there, but could save you a few bucks on the way back. It was about $30 to get from Duke to the airport via Uber when I was there, before we split the cost.
+1 on Airbnb and uber combo!Airbnb is usually a cheap option for finding a place to stay on short notice. It might be less convenient in Durham just because it's not the most pedestrian friendly city, but there were a couple places within walking distance of Duke when I checked.
Cab/Uber splitting to get to the airport is also much cheaper than the shuttle. Probably not practical on the way there, but could save you a few bucks on the way back. It was about $30 to get from Duke to the airport via Uber when I was there, before we split the cost.
Hey everyone! I'll be interviewing here in mid-January, and was wondering what people have done for the overnight stay. I submitted a request for a student host, but if that doesn't work out, there seems to be the Millennium Hotel option at the $99 rate (plus $40 shuttle to get there from airport). Does anyone else have any suggestions on where to stay/how to get around? My funds are dwindling as the interview season's progressed, so I'm hoping to find the cheapest options possible!
I wound up renting a car rather than paying $40 for the shuttle each direction. I probably saved around $40.
+1 on Airbnb and uber combo!
Uber was great and staying with a student was definitely the best option for learning about the school. I would follow up with them but I don't remember getting my assignment for a while.
Totally! I use Airbnb when I had to stay longer--sometimes the student host is required to only host 1 night. I usually try to spend at least 2-3 days to get to know the city or town.Uber was great and staying with a student was definitely the best option for learning about the school. I would follow up with them but I don't remember getting my assignment for a while.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even if they did, interviewed applicants can't answer that due to a non-disclosure agreement.Interviewing here very soon! Excited! Anyone have any advice?!?!? Do they have an MMI station where the ask you traditional interview questions as well?
Does Duke accept update letters post-interview? Thanks
On my interview day they said you could send them, but the committee would likely have met and evaluated your position before they were received.Does Duke accept update letters post-interview? Thanks
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
