2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still haven't gotten a secondary yet. Does this mean I've been screened out?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else still waiting for a complete e-mail? I submitted 7/21, have all my letters in, but no complete e-mail yet.
 
^I just got complete email on 7/30, my letters were uploaded by AMCAS 7/24... I think you should be expecting it soon!
 
It seems like EVMS don't start sending out II until the 3rd week of August according to last year. Hoping to get an II. Would love to go here.
 
OOS Secondary submitted! Received about 3 weeks ago. Wish I could have gotten it in sooner, but had so many other secondaries come in before it. Hopefully this doesn't look too bad as long as it's in the 30 day timeframe.
 
Last edited:
OOS Secondary submitted! Received about 3 weeks ago. Wish I could have gotten it in sooner, but had so many other secondaries come in before it. Hopefully this doesn't look too bad as long as it's in the 30 day timeframe.

I think as long as you submit within the designated deadline you are okay... Obviously for the schools that say the deadline is in like december, the sooner the better, but EVMS hasn't even sent out II's yet.

Haha I am in the same boat as you for this school's secondary so I may be bias!
 
I think as long as you submit within the designated deadline you are okay... Obviously for the schools that say the deadline is in like december, the sooner the better, but EVMS hasn't even sent out II's yet.

Haha I am in the same boat as you for this school's secondary so I may be bias!

I know we are required to submit secondary within 30 days. I submitted mine on day 29!

And I had AMCAS assign my letters a long time ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In-state people, how long did it take for you to receive a complete e-mail after submitting the requisite documents? It's been two weeks and I am contemplating a phone-call to admissions.
 
I have a quick question. EVMS says that secondary applications must be complete in 30 days. Does this mean we have to submit the secondary app within 30 days, OR we have to get a complete email within 30 days?
 
Could somebody let me know the subject of the secondary email? I am pretty sure I got an invite, but cannot seem to find it in my email list.

Thanks!
 
Hi everyone...This might be a stupid question. I can't upload my picture. I cropped it, but can't fix the size on my macbook 🙁 any suggestions?
 
Hi everyone...This might be a stupid question. I can't upload my picture. I cropped it, but can't fix the size on my macbook 🙁 any suggestions?

I had the same problem. Know what I did? I found a PC. I can't believe that Mac doesn't have a crop function, so google is your friend, but just in case PC is it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had the same problem. Know what I did? I found a PC. I can't believe that Mac doesn't have a crop function, so google is your friend, but just in case PC is it.

Mac has a crop function. Open it in preview. You can choose the size.

Or just use a website with a resizing tool.

Or e-mail it to a friend that does graphic design.
 
EVMS had potentially the worst setup for pre-reqs of any of my school. Really pissed me off when entering everything...

Also, I just used paint for their stupid photo size lol.
 
For entering in the courses, if I took biology while my school was in the quarter system (we switched half way through my undergrad) should I list both biology courses as optional semester or the first as first semester and second as second semester? Also, should I list the quarter hours or convert them to semester hours?

Also, it says that if your class had lecture and lab together that you should indicate this in the course information section. I see no course information section.......
 
Rejected pre-interview today, first one always stings the worst hopefully. For those who are wondering, OOS, sGPA 3.3, cGPA >3.5, balanced 33 MCAT, multiple strong and unique ECs. Good luck to everyone still in the running
 
Also rejected pre-interview today. IS, <3.6, <29. Expected it with the low stats, but it's still pretty upsetting, especially given my IS status. Best of luck to everyone else 👍
 
Last edited:
Is there an MCAT cutoff for this school?
Don't think there is, but last week at orientation we received information saying that the average matriculating MCAT was a 31.0 for 2013
EDIT: white coat ceremony today. Our class had a cgpa of 3.6, and "an average MCAT over 31." 150 students, biggest EVMS class to date. About half out of state. Hope that info helps.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you ever get the complete email? I'm IS as well and I submitted the forms on the 22, but no complete email yet.
I got the complete email, but only quite recently. I had to submit some additional stuff to be complete. I would recommend calling or emailing to followup.
 
I got the complete email, but only quite recently. I had to submit some additional stuff to be complete. I would recommend calling or emailing to followup.

I sent in all of the tax forms, license information, voter registration, etc. etc., but I have been patiently waiting for that email... Thank you for replying!
 
I got the complete email, but only quite recently. I had to submit some additional stuff to be complete. I would recommend calling or emailing to followup.
I sent in all of the tax forms, license information, voter registration, etc. etc., but I have been patiently waiting for that email... Thank you for replying!

Was all of that additional documentation required to prove residency? How were you informed that they needed it?
 
Was all of that additional documentation required to prove residency? How were you informed that they needed it?

The admissions office emailed me asking for the following: Virginia state driver's license, Virginia voter registration, Virginia car registration for the vehicle you operate even if it is not registered in your name (please check expiration date on registration), and Virginia state taxes (2013 or the taxes of the person who claimed you).