2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I will also be interviewing on that day! Wow 4 SDNers on the same day! About how many people interview at Jeff on a particular day?

30 a week.

We only interview on Wednesdays so it's basically a week's worth of IIs jammed into one day. It won't feel that big though.. the only times you'll be with all 30 people is in the morning for presentations and at lunch. The tours will be much smaller groups (3-5 people) and the interviews are obviously individual. Cookie hour is everyone but there are usually way more med students than applicants anyways.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got put on the HPWL at Jefferson. Hoping for good news, really loved the school after my interview. Does anyone know what the chances are for students put on HPWL, or what the movement is like on the HPWL?
 
Last edited:
I'd be totally down, but I doubt I'll get to town before 8.



Ah screw it, if you're down earlier and want to hang I'll get in around 4-5. I'll just drag my ass to work earlier in the morning so I can get a few hours in. Have you ever been to the Mutter museum?
I've never been to philly! I'm super excited for all this. Everyone, we should really make this happen. @Doctor Strange where are we meeting?
 
I've never been to philly! I'm super excited for all this. Everyone, we should really make this happen. @Doctor Strange where are we meeting?
Definitely! and Philly is a super amazing city! This is a great week to interview because the weather is finally warming up, which makes walking around and exploring so much more pleasant. I am only working a half shift that day and will be off by 1PM if any of you guys want to meet up early.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, so I'm on the HPWL and I'm planning on sending a letter of intent to Jefferson. Question, should I address the letter to Dr. Brooks, Dr. Callahan, or both? I figured it should be to one of them and not just to the admissions office email but I'm not sure which is the most appropriate. Any advice would be much appreciated!
 
Hey everyone, so I'm on the HPWL and I'm planning on sending a letter of intent to Jefferson. Question, should I address the letter to Dr. Brooks, Dr. Callahan, or both? I figured it should be to one of them and not just to the admissions office email but I'm not sure which is the most appropriate. Any advice would be much appreciated!
I think Dr. Callahan would be the one, but I don't think it really matters all that much. They didn't seem the type to get uptight about that sort of thing!
 
Hey everyone, so I'm on the HPWL and I'm planning on sending a letter of intent to Jefferson. Question, should I address the letter to Dr. Brooks, Dr. Callahan, or both? I figured it should be to one of them and not just to the admissions office email but I'm not sure which is the most appropriate. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Both + the email they tell you to send stuff to (admissions office one). Dean Callahan is probably going to be the one that responds if anyone does.

You might want to do this asap since their last interview date is the 8th and they were booking me for the 1st last week.
 
Both + the email they tell you to send stuff to (admissions office one). Dean Callahan is probably going to be the one that responds if anyone does.

You might want to do this asap since their last interview date is the 8th and they were booking me for the 1st last week.

I interviewed back in December, I'm on the HPWL. Thanks for the advice regarding who to address it to.
 
Letter of love sent today hoping for an interview....hope it's not too late as I've really liked what I've read/heard about Jeff
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup, as I said earlier I was told by admissions that the 8th was the last available day for interviews.
My bad. Thought I remembered someone saying that but I wasn't sure. I'm not too worried since we've all been assured that interviewing late here isn't a disadvantage.
 
My bad. Thought I remembered someone saying that but I wasn't sure. I'm not too worried since we've all been assured that interviewing late here isn't a disadvantage.

I'm not sold on that because being offered an interview so so so late means that it took so long for us to catch their eye. That said, I'm not sure if the committee that does post interview reviews is the same that does them pre II, so that could be something that might make the timing matter less.

Regardless, it is what it is. I'm going to try to make the best of the opportunity as there's certainly still a chance.
 
I'm not sold on that because being offered an interview so so so late means that it took so long for us to catch their eye. That said, I'm not sure if the committee that does post interview reviews is the same that does them pre II, so that could be something that might make the timing matter less.

Regardless, it is what it is. I'm going to try to make the best of the opportunity as there's certainly still a chance.
On the interview day, we were told Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks were the only people who review applications pre-interview. Your interviewer is a member of the committee to make post interview decisions.
 
Holy crap. Two people read ten k+ apps. Wowza....

And I guess that takes the timing element out of it a bit, eh?

Thanks.
 
I'm one of those interviewing tomorrow and I have a quick question for @Doctor Strange ... I've noticed that medical schools love to talk about diversity, but don't tend to engage with me when I talk about hobbies outside of STEM (e.g. creative writing, performance) or my mentoring lgbtq youth (even when I relate it to healthcare). I have a strong STEM & research background and feel like I get better results when I shy away from my other hobbies, but those other hobbies are pretty integral to my lifestyle and my happiness. How much does Jefferson actually like "diversity"? Also- how much space is there to nourish outside hobbies? I've seen some med schools have literary magazines and can't find too much about Jefferson's student organizations. Thanks!
 
I'm not sold on that because being offered an interview so so so late means that it took so long for us to catch their eye. That said, I'm not sure if the committee that does post interview reviews is the same that does them pre II, so that could be something that might make the timing matter less.

Regardless, it is what it is. I'm going to try to make the best of the opportunity as there's certainly still a chance.

That is an element of it but you're absolutely interviewing for a spot in the class. Lots of other schools, interviewing this late means you're interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.. so it's really not a bad thing interviewing this late at Jeff.

Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks are the only ones that review applications to hand out IIs.
Admissions committee (comprised of your interview, admissions staff, student representative, etc.) decide post-II decisions.

Holy crap. Two people read ten k+ apps. Wowza....

And I guess that takes the timing element out of it a bit, eh?

Thanks.

It's not really known how they review applications but purely logistically, it definitely means the timing isn't as important. I know people who got IIs shortly after submitting a secondary.. or people that had to wait months (and interview in April). I think there are probably multiple levels of review where some people get IIs immediately, some people are screened out and others are put in a pile to review again later, etc. So while it may mean it took longer for you to catch their eye, it doesn't really mean much.

I'm one of those interviewing tomorrow and I have a quick question for @Doctor Strange ... I've noticed that medical schools love to talk about diversity, but don't tend to engage with me when I talk about hobbies outside of STEM (e.g. creative writing, performance) or my mentoring lgbtq youth (even when I relate it to healthcare). I have a strong STEM & research background and feel like I get better results when I shy away from my other hobbies, but those other hobbies are pretty integral to my lifestyle and my happiness. How much does Jefferson actually like "diversity"? Also- how much space is there to nourish outside hobbies? I've seen some med schools have literary magazines and can't find too much about Jefferson's student organizations. Thanks!

They are very big on diversity and there have been a lot of efforts recently to increase the diversity of the student body even further. In terms of outside hobbies, while I can't compare to other schools, I would say its pretty good here. The student body is pretty big and then when you combine that with the entire TJU community (+ living in downtown Philadelphia), I think there would definitely be multiple outlets for whatever you like to do in your spare time. I'm not sure if there's a list of student organizations anywhere but my email inbox indicates there are tons!
 
That is an element of it but you're absolutely interviewing for a spot in the class. Lots of other schools, interviewing this late means you're interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.. so it's really not a bad thing interviewing this late at Jeff.

Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks are the only ones that review applications to hand out IIs.
Admissions committee (comprised of your interview, admissions staff, student representative, etc.) decide post-II decisions.



It's not really known how they review applications but purely logistically, it definitely means the timing isn't as important. I know people who got IIs shortly after submitting a secondary.. or people that had to wait months (and interview in April). I think there are probably multiple levels of review where some people get IIs immediately, some people are screened out and others are put in a pile to review again later, etc. So while it may mean it took longer for you to catch their eye, it doesn't really mean much.



They are very big on diversity and there have been a lot of efforts recently to increase the diversity of the student body even further. In terms of outside hobbies, while I can't compare to other schools, I would say its pretty good here. The student body is pretty big and then when you combine that with the entire TJU community (+ living in downtown Philadelphia), I think there would definitely be multiple outlets for whatever you like to do in your spare time. I'm not sure if there's a list of student organizations anywhere but my email inbox indicates there are tons!

Thanks for your reply!! Yes, living in downtown Philadelphia is a selling point. I guess I was also wondering about the med school culture. 🙂
 
Hello! Long-time lurker here. Honestly, I'd still be content to lurk, but I had my interview at SKMC recently and I'm starting to freak out as I wait to hear back. My interview wasn't that long and I have no idea what kind of impression I left. 🙁
 
Last edited:
I may be dating myself here, but did the old Doc Watsons on 11th ever re-open as anything?

Based on the address, it's now Strangelove's.. cool place and decent food.

Pretty sure there were a few iterations in between though.. I'm pretty sure there used to be some bar with A LOT of wax candles there a few years ago. That's the only thing I remember about it.. weird place.
 
Just got high priority waitlist email just now :/

When should I sent a LOI? And what is usually said in these letters other than "I really want to go here"?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so hear is my way to early review of the interview day/experience.

- glad to have the chance to grab a drink the night before with 4 SDNers and DrStrange. If I had a med school, you'd all get in

- genuine staff and student love even from those not doing the interview day.

- 70 to 90 people come off waitlist, so take the 260 accepted and the 800 interviewed, that means 45% admitted.

- finally, i heard through another SDNer today that Dr. Callahan reads SDN.... That's awesome.