2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
- finally, i heard through another SDNer today that Dr. Callahan reads SDN.... That's awesome.

From my limited experience interacting with Dr. Callahan she seems like a genuinely awesome person no lie. Reads 12k apps with her and 1 other person, receptive to LOI, calls ppl for interview....? like wut thats almost unheard of
and im not sure if its herself that reads SDN but I heard that someone in admissions does.

Members don't see this ad.

From my limited experience interacting with Dr. Callahan she seems like a genuinely awesome person no lie. Reads 12k apps with her and 1 other person, receptive to LOI, calls ppl for interview....? like wut thats almost unheard of
and im not sure if its herself that reads SDN but I heard that someone in admissions does.
Yeah she seemed awesome, as did everyone else that day. My interview was so hard, but I still love Jefferson. I think they already know I'll go there if accepted, but I am going to send copious letters/ thank you notes just to make sure.

Last edited:
haha you guys make me so sad that I didn't get a II here this cycle! for the years I've been on SDN I've never read any negatives about this program. keep doing you, Jeff/SKMC!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed two weeks ago and both last Wednesday and today I've been waiting anxiously for a decision. I would absolutely love to receive an acceptance from here - everyone seemed so happy to be a part of Jeff :)

I interviewed today and it kills me that next week is spring break so we have to wait longer to here a reply. I got really good vibes from here and would love to attend. My interviewers were very down to earth and seemed like really passionate, well-rounded individuals. They also loved the school and my faculty interviewer loved it so much she did her medical school training, residency and then decided to stay at Jeff as a faculty member. It seems like an amazing place.

Reactions: 1 user

Both Dr. Brooks and Dr. Callahan are seriously awesome. If you pass either around campus, they'll always stop to chat for a few and ask how things are going, etc. How they manage to remember everyone is crazy!

I interviewed today and it kills me that next week is spring break so we have to wait longer to here a reply. I got really good vibes from here and would love to attend. My interviewers were very down to earth and seemed like really passionate, well-rounded individuals. They also loved the school and my faculty interviewer loved it so much she did her medical school training, residency and then decided to stay at Jeff as a faculty member. It seems like an amazing place.

Sorry about having to wait but we need a break!

There are so many faculty members that are lifers here, it definitely shows how much people love it here.

Ha ha I didn't me it like that. You guys work so hard you definitely deserve a break! It's just the extra waiting. I hope you have some fun plans!!

Ha ha I didn't me it like that. You guys work so hard you definitely deserve a break! It's just the extra waiting. I hope you have some fun plans!!

This time tomorrow, I'll be in Florida!

Just one pesky exam to take in the morning first.

Its unlikely unless someone cancels. The last interview day is 4/8 and next week is spring break so there are no interviews next week. But it wouldn't hurt to try! Sending in a letter may give you the II you are hoping for. It's a small chance but one worth taking in my opinion.

I loved Jeff. I think this was honestly one of my favorite interview days. All the other interviewees were pretty awesome too and I had a blast meeting up with you guys the night before.

My interview went relatively okay, but my interviewer was really exhausted and nodded off a bit. He was still attentive and was writing down notes, etc so I don't think it'll be an issue. Crossing my fingers.

If I get in here, there's a good chance I might just call my cycle over and withdraw from all my WL's. Yeah, it was that awesome.

Also, this guy is awesome:

Reactions: 6 users
I loved Jeff. I think this was honestly one of my favorite interview days. All the other interviewees were pretty awesome too and I had a blast meeting up with you guys the night before.

My interview went relatively okay, but my interviewer was really exhausted and nodded off a bit. He was still attentive and was writing down notes, etc so I don't think it'll be an issue. Crossing my fingers.

If I get in here, there's a good chance I might just call my cycle over and withdraw from all my WL's. Yeah, it was that awesome.

Also, this guy is awesome:

@Doctor Strange you should have hit up the bar in full costume.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how many seats are left in the class? Like everyone else, I love Jefferson. Thought my interview (3/11) went really well. But I don't wanna get my hopes up here for something that is somewhat a statistical game.

It seems like most people sending in updates are getting a written response from Dr. Callahan. Is there anyone else that has sent one to her that has not?

It seems like most people sending in updates are getting a written response from Dr. Callahan. Is there anyone else that has sent one to her that has not?

I didn't. I did not cc her on the email though, only sent the email to the admissions email.

fwiw, I got an II anyway. So I'm not sure the personal response matters. I did get a confirmation from the admissions email that my update was received

Hey guys! I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back yet. I understand these things take time, but should I send in an update about my grades, work, and extracurriculars now or should I wait until I get the "email"?

Does anyone know the purpose of the student interview? Does the student sit on the committee or write a letter or is it strictly informational?

Does anyone know the purpose of the student interview? Does the student sit on the committee or write a letter or is it strictly informational?
Mine was very informal. I think the purpose is for them to get a sense of how you interact with other people, and whether you fit into the culture at SKMC. It's very relaxed, but a nice opportunity to show them who you are and gain a current student's perspective. I don't believe the students sit on the admissions committee (I could be wrong) but they might give feedback about applicants. Good luck!

The student writes a report on the applicant which is submitted to the student committee liaison, who sits in on the committee meetings and summarizes the student's thoughts on the applicant. They take student input very seriously.

Lots of ortho and optho matches good 2 see. cool

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, don't mean to beat on a dead horse, but how many students are given HPWL status, since only 60-80 students are accepted off the HPWL right?

Sorry, don't mean to beat on a dead horse, but how many students are given HPWL status, since only 60-80 students are accepted off the HPWL right?

They said last year 1/3 of the class came from the HPWL so I believe it's closer to 90 students that come off. I think a decent amount of people get the status though, they only interview 800 people or so for a class of 260 so I'd guess around 150 people are on the hpwl.

Hi everyone,

I am in the decision pending group - not getting my hopes up. What is the general advice on re-applying to the same schools next year- specifically Jeff? I would like to get feedback from Dr. Callahan or anyone really about why I didn't get in. I realize part of it is my lack of communication - sent LOI and updated ref real late (early march) because I've been in really rural parts of India from Aug-March on fulbright research grant. (Im finishing up my work in mumbai now with actual cellphone service and internet.)

Anyways, ive been poring over the SDN for Jeff, (top choice - I lived in Philadelphia as a little kid and dad worked in admin a long time ago), and was wondering if Dr. Strange or anyone had tips for talking to jeff staff/faculty on the weakest parts of my app as I figure out plans when i get back to US.

Thanks guys. sorry if this was dumb

Also off-topic but anyone considering SMPs to help GPA? Would prefer not to go back to classes, but I am willing if GPA is so important

- aladdin
(stats: GPA 3.55, sGPA 3.3 (upward trend), 31 MCAT, strong/consistent/unique leadership & ECs, avg clinical exp., Fulbright-Nehru '14-'15)

Hi everyone,

I am in the decision pending group - not getting my hopes up. What is the general advice on re-applying to the same schools next year- specifically Jeff? I would like to get feedback from Dr. Callahan or anyone really about why I didn't get in. I realize part of it is my lack of communication - sent LOI and updated ref real late (early march) because I've been in really rural parts of India from Aug-March on fulbright research grant. (Im finishing up my work in mumbai now with actual cellphone service and internet.)

Anyways, ive been poring over the SDN for Jeff, (top choice - I lived in Philadelphia as a little kid and dad worked in admin a long time ago), and was wondering if Dr. Strange or anyone had tips for talking to jeff staff/faculty on the weakest parts of my app as I figure out plans when i get back to US.

Thanks guys. sorry if this was dumb

Also off-topic but anyone considering SMPs to help GPA? Would prefer not to go back to classes, but I am willing if GPA is so important

- aladdin
(stats: GPA 3.55, sGPA 3.3 (upward trend), 31 MCAT, strong/consistent/unique leadership & ECs, avg clinical exp., Fulbright-Nehru '14-'15)
Your GPA and MCAT alone make you an "average" applicant to Jefferson. If we are your top choice, you have to make it very clear, especially with those numbers. Jeff gets upwards of ten thousand applications each year and interviews are only extended to a select eight hundred students. You correctly identified that your combination of stats and lack of communication may have worked towards not hearing anything. If you're looking for constructive feedback, I would wait until May (when interviews have concluded) and contact either Dr. Brooks or Dr. Callahan directly and ask if they would be able to take a couple of minutes to talk to you about your application. They are the ones that go through the ten thousand applications each year and will be able to offer you a realistic look at your chances. This is something that they do pretty frequently with applicants that go the extra mile to ask.

I started a new tv show and have been cooking up a storm. Might have to add that to the mix.

I just got an II this morning for 4/8 which I know is their last interview day. Will I just be interviewing for a WL spot or could I actually get accepted? I've already got one acceptance, 2 WLs and waiting to hear on one more so my fate doesn't totally depend on this, but I also have heard good things about Jefferson and wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity if it could turn into an acceptance. Sorry if this has been discussed previously!

I just got an II this morning for 4/8 which I know is their last interview day. Will I just be interviewing for a WL spot or could I actually get accepted? I've already got one acceptance, 2 WLs and waiting to hear on one more so my fate doesn't totally depend on this, but I also have heard good things about Jefferson and wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity if it could turn into an acceptance. Sorry if this has been discussed previously!

Jefferson doesn't do any "courtesy" interviews.

The wait is killing me guys.

May I recommend the 'Tree Octopus?' This consists of Angry Orchard hard cider + Kraken dark rum.
The Gilded Tree Octopus is cider, rum, and Goldschlager -- but we'll save this for when we're accepted. :D

bones_hartzell-tree_octopus_exhibit.jpg

Gotta love yuengling. The taste of Pennsylvania

Jefferson wasn't my top choice, but I decided to give it a shot at the interview and fell in love. I am now a student here that advocates strongly for the school. None of this would have ever happened if I had simply not gone because someone told me I was taking a spot from someone "more interested" or "more needy." Let people decide for themselves whether or not to accept the interview offer.

Reactions: 7 users
Jefferson wasn't my top choice, but I decided to give it a shot at the interview and fell in love. I am now a student here that advocates strongly for the school. None of this would have ever happened if I had simply not gone because someone told me I was taking a spot from someone "more interested" or "more needy." Let people decide for themselves whether or not to accept the interview offer.
Exactly. This same thing happened to me when I was trying to decide if I should go for my Jefferson interview. You'll never know how you'll feel about a school until you visit!

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if this is an answerable question or not. Any feedback would be great!

I interviewed on 3/11 after getting a call the day earlier about an open interview slot. I got pretty lucky. Had that spot not opened up, there's a good chance I wouldn't have interviewed at all. I assume that getting an interview in the first place is admissions saying they believe I'd be capable of doing well at Jeff. And I felt both my student and faculty interviews went very well. Here's my question: do all interviewed students essentially go into the interview day on level ground? Even if knocked both interviews out of the park, it still took a little bit of coercion to even get there. Does that have me at a disadvantage when the committee sits down to evaluate me?

I realize I'm quite neurotic with this. Jefferson is absolutely my top choice, so I can't help but mull over all the influencing factors. Let me know what you guys think!

Not sure if this is an answerable question or not. Any feedback would be great!

I interviewed on 3/11 after getting a call the day earlier about an open interview slot. I got pretty lucky. Had that spot not opened up, there's a good chance I wouldn't have interviewed at all. I assume that getting an interview in the first place is admissions saying they believe I'd be capable of doing well at Jeff. And I felt both my student and faculty interviews went very well. Here's my question: do all interviewed students essentially go into the interview day on level ground? Even if knocked both interviews out of the park, it still took a little bit of coercion to even get there. Does that have me at a disadvantage when the committee sits down to evaluate me?

I realize I'm quite neurotic with this. Jefferson is absolutely my top choice, so I can't help but mull over all the influencing factors. Let me know what you guys think!
Admissions decisions are like a ladder. Your application starts you off somewhere on the ladder, and the interview can either bump you up, down, or keep you at the same spot. If you get high enough on the ladder to convince the admissions committee, then you're in. Obviously this is an oversimplification, but it gets the point across. Getting an interview at Jeff puts you at a fairly advantageous spot, as they only offer interviews to some <10% of all applicants. They see something in your application that is appealing, so don't doubt yourself on this. Be yourself, interview strongly, and what happens happens.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Admissions decisions are like a ladder. Your application starts you off somewhere on the ladder, and the interview can either bump you up, down, or keep you at the same spot. If you get high enough on the ladder to convince the admissions committee, then you're in. Obviously this is an oversimplification, but it gets the point across. Getting an interview at Jeff puts you at a fairly advantageous spot, as they only offer interviews to some <10% of all applicants. They see something in your application that is appealing, so don't doubt yourself on this. Be yourself, interview strongly, and what happens happens.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Very well put! That answers my question beautifully.
Thank you sir!

Very well put! That answers my question beautifully.
Thank you sir!

Just to mention it, there were a fair number of interviews sent out after the 3/11 interview. I actually got the interview invite on 3/9 for 3/11, but some people were given invites shortly after (like 3/11-3/13). So to say you wouldn't have been interviewed is probably incorrect!

Good luck! Hopefully we both get some good news next week!

I never sent a thank you to my faculty or student interviewer... Is that deal-breaker bad?

Okay, that makes me feel a little better! All this waiting is causing me to really hate Wednesdays. All I can think about is Jefferson!

In a similar vein, would it be appropriate to send an interview thank-you to just the admissions email, Dr. Callahan, Dr. Brooks, all of the above, none of the above?

In a similar vein, would it be appropriate to send an interview thank-you to just the admissions email, Dr. Callahan, Dr. Brooks, all of the above, none of the above?
I sent one to Drs. Callahan and Brooks a few days after my interview. I got a personal reply from Dr. Callahan and an automated response from Dr. Brooks.