You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Ohio State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yea but correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that acceptance is binding.The class is full of people who have accepted their offers of admission?
The class is full of people who have accepted their offers of admission?
They have offered admission to a number a people that fills up next years M1 class. It doesn't mean that everyone has accepted OSU's offer. I also know OSU might be conservative in giving out acceptances because they accidentally overenrolled a few years ago and that was problematic. My student interviewer (M2) informed me that a lot of people from her class came off the waitlist... don't know the exact numbers, but there is still hope!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope there will be acceptances coming for us soon!They have offered admission to a number a people that fills up next years M1 class. It doesn't mean that everyone has accepted OSU's offer. I also know OSU might be conservative in giving out acceptances because they accidentally overenrolled a few years ago and that was problematic. My student interviewer (M2) informed me that a lot of people from her class came off the waitlist... don't know the exact numbers, but there is still hope!
I just called the admissions office and asked about the deferral process. They said that it changes from deferred to waitlist anytime between now to April 30th and there's not necessarily any notification. They said it is ranked but that information is not published or available to applicants. Currently the class is full, so they will only be making offers as people withdraw their application. Therefore, acceptance calls will not necessarily come on a Monday, but are going to go out whenever someone drops a spot. Like many people have said before, most of the waitlist movement happens after April 30th, so get ready for some more waiting. Hope that helps clarify some things!
Thanks for making the call and relaying the information! Did you get any sense of how deeply overenrolled they currently are?
Yes. . .more than inconvenient! The money will have an enormous impact on my own decision!I spoke with the financial aid office a week or so ago and they said the merit awards would be given between now and May 15th...which is somewhat inconvenient when it comes to the April 30 deadline.
Just withdrew. Good luck everybody!
Thank-you - think you could refer me...lol, j/k. Hope you enjoy the school you chose!
But you're accepted right?Anybody know if they are even offering merit based scholarships at this point? I read earlier that some people were offered money when they got the acceptance call. Now I'm wondering if the rest of us will be getting any merit based money at all.
Checked in with financial aid again. The awards process has been pushed back this year, but they can safely say we will be able to view our awards by the end of this week.
thanks for checking in. do you know if those awards will include the merit scholarships as well? the merit awards are actually decided by the admissions office and not the financial aid office. although they could very well be announced and delivered through the fin aid office.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have no idea...sorry! Though, based on an earlier e-mail I received from the Financial Aid office I think the merit scholarships will be awarded separately on a different timeline (through May).
ya, I'm pretty sure they have a separate process for merit award decisions. I awaiting an email response with regards to how and when we might hear about merit awards.
SNARKY COMPLAINT WARNING: I can safely say that I will climb Mount Everest while wearing a tutu and playing Peruvian pan pipes. No one is likely to beat me up if my "saying" does not translate into "doing." Still, I am sure that the task is monumental, the staff is overworked, and everyone is doing the very best that they can. (But hey! Tell me about my aid, please, OSU!!) 🤔 END OF NASTY DIGS.Checked in with financial aid again. The awards process has been pushed back this year, but they can safely say we will be able to view our awards by the end of this week.
I have no idea...sorry! Though, based on an earlier e-mail I received from the Financial Aid office I think the merit scholarships will be awarded separately on a different timeline (through May).
So merit aid can come after the decision deadline?? How are we supposed to make up our minds?
Just in case if you guys haven't seen the actual cost of attendance chart, here it is. Note the steep increase in tuition in the 3rd and 4th years. Add to that the Non-Ohio Resident Surcharge. Plus, there is usually an anual increase of 1-3% in tuition at most schools, and I don't think OSU is going to be any different.
Edit: There is the possibility of gaining in-state status after the first year so the out of state surcharge is probably not a cause for concern.
Edit: There is the possibility of gaining in-state status after the first year so the out of state surcharge is probably not a cause for concern.
Yep, I've seen it. And according to the new estimate for this year, they've raised it by 3000 dollars already. I'm eager to find out about financial aid, since I'm torn between here and one other school and financial aid will figure heavily in my decision.
The tuition also increases 3rd and 4th years because it is based on a 12 month budget, as opposed to a 9 month budget in first and second years.
Not all schools do this however.
Idk, but I'm going through another phase of feeling like I'm going to go crazy if they don't give me a yes or a no! My family and my partner want me to commit to a housing decision near my current acceptance as soon as possible, but if I commit and *then* OSU calls, I'll be heartbroken.Any deferred movement in the past few weeks?

Well, set a date for yourself as the absolute latest you are willing or able to wait for an acceptance. IF that date comes and passes without an acceptance, THEN have a backup plan for living arrangements ready to act on.Idk, but I'm going through another phase of feeling like I'm going to go crazy if they don't give me a yes or a no! My family and my partner want me to commit to a housing decision near my current acceptance as soon as possible, but if I commit and *then* OSU calls, I'll be heartbroken.![]()
Yeah, I know. I'm trying to come up with one. But even so, what if they call three days later? I mean, I guess I could withdraw from the waitlist, but I'd be curious to know if I ever would have gotten in. Idk. Really, the best thing I can do for myself right now is to stay busy. And limit time spent on SDN 😉Well, set a date for yourself as the absolute latest you are willing or able to wait for an acceptance. IF that date comes and passes without an acceptance, THEN have a backup plan for living arrangements ready to act on.
That last part is wishful thinking! I'm in the same boat but without the SO. Gonna hold out as long as I canYeah, I know. I'm trying to come up with one. But even so, what if they call three days later? I mean, I guess I could withdraw from the waitlist, but I'd be curious to know if I ever would have gotten in. Idk. Really, the best thing I can do for myself right now is to stay busy. And limit time spent on SDN 😉
My Applicant Center Financial Aid tab was updated, but only my SFA status (shows estimated cost of attendance, estimated family contribution and estimated financial need). There is still nothing under the "Awards Summary" tab. Hoping something will show up within the next few days, as the financial aid office said "around April 15", but these offices seem to notoriously run behind schedule.
This is my situation as well.
@AspiringERMD, uncertainty is tough. April 30 is only four days away now, though, and my guess is that there will be WL movement soon thereafter, as people have to relinquish their spots on their "other choice" schools. If your partner and family can be patient through mid-May, perhaps? A compromise?Idk, but I'm going through another phase of feeling like I'm going to go crazy if they don't give me a yes or a no! My family and my partner want me to commit to a housing decision near my current acceptance as soon as possible, but if I commit and *then* OSU calls, I'll be heartbroken.![]()
Me, too. Complicates the decision-making process!This is my situation as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally, I give heavy preference to a school that has accepted me outright, versus those where I have to play the WL game.
Yep, you got it. We haven't come up with a compromise date yet, but it's under discussion.@AspiringERMD, uncertainty is tough. April 30 is only four days away now, though, and my guess is that there will be WL movement soon thereafter, as people have to relinquish their spots on their "other choice" schools. If your partner and family can be patient through mid-May, perhaps? A compromise?
Financial aid received. The offer wasn't anywhere near what I received from other institutions (all loans?) and I will be withdrawing tomorrow.
Via email?
Accepted off the waitlist!!! LizzyM 56. I was able to confirm that they are taking people off the waitlist tonight and tomorrow!
Congrats!! That's SO awesome! I know the waitlist is somehow ranked but did you send in any updates or letters of interest/intent? Also, how far along the anatomy course were you, or did you already take anatomy before?
I have to say that the low, low financial aid is certainly a consideration. Hard thinking tomorrow!Financial aid received. The offer wasn't anywhere near what I received from other institutions (all loans?) and I will be withdrawing tomorrow.
I believe all need based offers have been processed, as the current class just got our aid offers for next year today as well (via financial aid office). This excludes merit based scholarships, which haven't been awarded/updated to profiles yet. Not even the current M1s who already have scholarships outside of need based have them showing in our accounts as being renewed for next year yet.
I have to say that the low, low financial aid is certainly a consideration. Hard thinking tomorrow!
To clarify this, I definitely really loved OSU, but it really isn't feasible for me to attend given my financial situation in the context of the other offers I received. I will likely call to verify that no additional changes are being made to my financial aid offer, after which I will finalize my decision. Thank you for the additional information, Celdurant!
@Muvis, I am still working and my wardens. . .um, bosses. . .don't yet know I'm breaking out. . .yeah, moving on, I mean. It's really hard for me to call during business hours. If you get any general answer about merit, will you post the update? Thanks so much. . .we really are still reeling from the bitty bit OSU told us about.To clarify this, I definitely really loved OSU, but it really isn't feasible for me to attend given my financial situation in the context of the other offers I received. I will likely call to verify that no additional changes are being made to my financial aid offer, after which I will finalize my decision. Thank you for the additional information, Celdurant!
Did you get a phone call?Accepted off the waitlist!!! LizzyM 56. I was able to confirm that they are taking people off the waitlist tonight and tomorrow!
For those that have heard back about financial aid.. Did you get an email or did you just keep checking online?
Accepted off the waitlist!!! LizzyM 56. I was able to confirm that they are taking people off the waitlist tonight and tomorrow!
This kid is totally trolling.... first of all LizzyM 56?!?!! Second of all, I called to sign up for OSU's online anatomy course and at the end I asked about Waitlist movement. They said they have heard that rumor and do not understand how that's been spreading around. They are still compiling information and there have not been any calls made yet. There as not been any waitlist movement.
NOT COOL @DoctorDude7.
He seemed to be full of it.This kid is totally trolling.... first of all LizzyM 56?!?!! Second of all, I called to sign up for OSU's online anatomy course and at the end I asked about Waitlist movement. They said they have heard that rumor and do not understand how that's been spreading around. They are still compiling information and there have not been any calls made yet. There as not been any waitlist movement.
NOT COOL @DoctorDude7.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know...a 2.9 and 27 MCAT seems realistic to me! I think DoctorDude7 is the name of a new med school building being built.He seemed to be full of it.
I believe all need based offers have been processed, as the current class just got our aid offers for next year today as well (via financial aid office). This excludes merit based scholarships, which haven't been awarded/updated to profiles yet. Not even the current M1s who already have scholarships outside of need based have them showing in our accounts as being renewed for next year yet.
Gahhh! How are we supposed to make a decision without knowing merit aid? I've been accepted to a school that I like a little better, but has given me minimal financial aid, and since I'm not getting any need-based money from OSU last night I pretty much decided to go there. How common is merit money? Would it be stupid to accept the offer here just on the chance I'll get some?
Why don't you call and ask ASAP?
