2014-2015 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Why did you choose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS? Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

2. We encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Rosalind Franklin University Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to let people know about the LOR limit at RFU because the website says 3 are required (or 1 committee) and it isn't clear if there is a maximum.

I just got a response from RFU today, there are no limits on the number of LORs you may submit (except for the 10 limit by AMCAS). They also said, as on the website, that they encourage one from a science professor whose class you attended you and one from a healthcare professional.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, just wanted to let people know about the LOR limit at RFU because the website says 3 are required (or 1 committee) and it isn't clear if there is a maximum.

I just got a response from RFU today, there are no limits on the number of LORs you may submit (except for the 10 limit by AMCAS). They also said, as on the website, that they encourage one from a science professor whose class you attended you and one from a healthcare professional.
Thank you for this information. Maybe I can get your opinion, or anyone else on this thread? I have a LOR from an MD, PhD who taught me in two physics classes. I also have a LOR from a CNM, MSN, MA who supervised me for some clinical volunteer work. Should I send both? One?

Is this the vision they want us to write about in the secondary, or is there something different?

To be an outstanding community based medical school with excellence & innovation in medical education, scientific discovery and clinical care.

Does Rosalind Franklin's prompts change from year to year?

Applying from The Great White North (aka. Canada)! Good luck to all!

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I can get a LOR from a healthcare professional in time. Should I bother with Rosalind Franklin?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if I can get a LOR from a healthcare professional in time. Should I bother with Rosalind Franklin?

Should anyone bother with Rossy?! Ridiculous number of applicants.

Just kidding. You should call and ask. Better apply late than never.

It's not a requirement IIRC so you can still apply even if you don't get that letter.

Does anyone know if it is worth applying here if they are on probation? It looks like they were on probation in the past too.. Not sure what the opinion is. Thanks!!

Hi all. I am a 4th year, and a couple other current students will be joining the discussion soon as well. First of all, congrats and good luck on your applications! As to whether to apply without a LOR from a healthcare professional, I would say go for it. RFU looks at a wide variety of criteria (I have a BA in Ancient Greek) and is known for looking at more than just your MCAT and GPA.
On the subject of the probation, it is not as bad as it sounds. We are still fully accredited, and have already corrected the issues we were "deficient" in. The reasons we were put on probation were a bunch of administrative BS (not having enough lockers at certain hospitals, not having certain language in our bylaws clear regarding what faculty can vote in which matters, etc). You can look at the issues and what we have done to correct it here http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/LCME.aspx
Honestly, in the day-to-day as a student, the probation doesn't matter at all. Residency directors don't care (they know the issues have nothing to do with the students or how well we are learning) and they know that our students are awesome. Take a look at our match list and you will see.
Once again, good luck, and maybe I will see some of you guys on campus this year

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all. I am a 4th year, and a couple other current students will be joining the discussion soon as well. First of all, congrats and good luck on your applications! As to whether to apply without a LOR from a healthcare professional, I would say go for it. RFU looks at a wide variety of criteria (I have a BA in Ancient Greek) and is known for looking at more than just your MCAT and GPA.
On the subject of the probation, it is not as bad as it sounds. We are still fully accredited, and have already corrected the issues we were "deficient" in. The reasons we were put on probation were a bunch of administrative BS (not having enough lockers at certain hospitals, not having certain language in our bylaws clear regarding what faculty can vote in which matters, etc). You can look at the issues and what we have done to correct it here http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/cms/LCME.aspx
Honestly, in the day-to-day as a student, the probation doesn't matter at all. Residency directors don't care (they know the issues have nothing to do with the students or how well we are learning) and they know that our students are awesome. Take a look at our match list and you will see.
Once again, good luck, and maybe I will see some of you guys on campus this year

Since you are the M4, may I unload on you, sorry :)

Q1: What is the grading system used in M1 thru M4?

Q2: Do you recall how many essays in secondary (I think it called supplemental application)?

Q3: How is housing? For some reason, I keep thinking the main campus is located south of 22nd street close to China Town. Will find reasonable housing a bit challenge?

Q4: This is something I always get confused as I see that in Rosalind Franklin and also in many schools. The website said "Application opens May 1" but it utilizes AMCAS centralized applicaton system. Well, AMCAS is not accepting application till June 2nd and will verify on June 27. So, based on your recallation, how can one apply before June?

Q5: Do you have any internal data showing the percentage of residency acceptance each year?

Q6: How far do students have to walk to hospitals from main campus?

Thanks!

Edit: My apology! I was thinking about Loyola when I asked Q3. Please deleted Q3.

Last edited:
1. M1 and M2 is pass/fail, I am not sure how they will be doing the M3 year (the P/F system started this past year), and the M4 year is all electives (mainly P/F).
The grades don't really matter that much, but you take 2 "Steps" of your boards (Step 1 after 2nd year, and Step 2 during your 4th year). This is what the residency directors really look at.

2. I think 3 essays? Not sure, sorry

3. Housing isn't bad, lots of student housing, a pretty nice apartment complex next to campus, and lots of housing in the area

4. Sorry, no clue on this- the inner workings of the admissions committee are completely unknown to the students. We can answer questions about student life, and about the school in general, and our education, but not about who gets interviews, when you get acceptance notifications, when the Adcom meets, etc.

Hopefully that helps a bit

Q1: What is the grading system used in M1 thru M4?

Q2: Do you recall how many essays in secondary (I think it called supplemental application)?

Q3: How is housing? For some reason, I keep thinking the main campus is located south of 22nd street close to China Town. Will find reasonable housing a bit challenge?

Q4: This is something I always get confused as I see that in Rosalind Franklin and also in many schools. The website said "Application opens May 1" but it utilizes AMCAS centralized applicaton system. Well, AMCAS is not accepting application till June 2nd and will verify on June 27. So, based on your recallation, how can one apply before June?

Q5: Do you have any internal data showing the percentage of residency acceptance each year?

Thanks!

Edit: My apology! I was thinking about Loyola when I asked Q3. Please deleted Q3.

Thank you for this information. Maybe I can get your opinion, or anyone else on this thread? I have a LOR from an MD, PhD who taught me in two physics classes. I also have a LOR from a CNM, MSN, MA who supervised me for some clinical volunteer work. Should I send both? One?

If they're outstanding, send both. More amazing letters can not hurt.

Here are last year's secondary questions. Keep in mind that they may change.

1) Describe your unique characteristics, a significant difficulty you have overcome or a major accomplishment you have achieved that will help to shape you into a physician who will pursue the CMS Admissions Vision.

2) How do you envision the physician role within interprofessional health care teams?

The hospital closest to the campus (which is NOT in Chicago) is a 5 minutes walk away. the hospital farthest away is a 16 hour walk.

You'll need a car.

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

We're all here, but keep in mind that current students do not read the applications, so the utility of our advice with regard to secondary prompts is debatable.

Canadian student from University of Toronto will be applying.

34 Mcat (13PS, 9VR, 12BS), cGPA:3.87 and sGPA: 3.96

Hoping for some international love.

The hospital closest to the campus (which is NOT in Chicago) is a 5 minutes walk away. the hospital farthest away is a 16 hour walk.

You'll need a car.

Which & how many hospitals RFU affiliate with?

Just received the secondary!

Nice and short, I love it. I'm posting this so people can see it before the OP puts it up at the top. Here are the essay questions:

• Why did you choose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS? Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer. *

• We encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Rosalind Franklin University Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Please limit your response to 100 words or fewer.

Reactions: 1 users
So I submitted my secondary, but apparently they didn't charge me for the secondary. How do I pay? I want to pay them my $105 dollars. take my hard earned money..and hopefully my acceptance :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why do some people get secondaries early, and others later, even if they were verified on the same day?

Why do some people get secondaries early, and others later, even if they were verified on the same day?

because this process is confusing and glitchy as hell or they send secondaries to applicants based off of a gpa and mcat priority. probably more of the former.

Applying oos with a 3.8 s/c and a 37. I had mine prewritten but at least the new prompts are really easy. Hopefully I get my secondary on Monday. Good luck to everyone!

Is it a good idea to write the optional essay on diversity or is that not really worth the effort? That can be directed more broadly than this specific secondary

Is it a good idea to write the optional essay on diversity or is that not really worth the effort? That can be directed more broadly than this specific secondary

In terms of other secondaries, no idea. In terms of this secondary, I think 100 words about how you will diversify the class is well worth the effort if you think you bring something special into the mix.

Submitted secondary! I love this school!

So I submitted my secondary, but apparently they didn't charge me for the secondary. How do I pay? I want to pay them my $105 dollars. take my hard earned money..and hopefully my acceptance :).

I am having this problem too. Anyone know?

Has everyone received a secondary from them? I haven't received one and my stats are 32/3.42... I don't think that would get me screend out? do they even do pre secondary screens?

Has everyone received a secondary from them? I haven't received one and my stats are 32/3.42... I don't think that would get me screend out? do they even do pre secondary screens?

I haven't received one yet and my stats are 32/3.95

Their FAQ says they do not prescreen.

Many schools send them out in batches in order of whos amcas they recieved first. You will probably get one next week

i would like to know how to submit the fee as well lol this is stupid. please take my money!

I am having this problem too. Anyone know?

+1

1726009shut_up_and_take_my_money_super_thumb.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
How would I add diversity? I am a bear.

Reactions: 6 users