2015-2016 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the Dean's scholarship?
Mine is 5K/year but I know in the past that some are 15K/year

Members don't see this ad.

Got 10k... Still so expensive though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferred and now waitlisted :( BU is my top choice; I was really hoping to get in. Especially since I haven't been accepted anywhere else. I am happy for those who did get in-- the excitement I saw from people on this thread made me smile-- but I am sad and scared too :cryi:
If send the adcom a really good letter saying that this program is your top choice and that you'd love to come here, maybe throw in some updates, but don't come off desperate

Withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear/on the wait list!

Reactions: 1 user
FYI BUSM just cracked the top 30 in the USNWR research rankings, and rose in the primary care rankings. While rankings are obviously flawed (especially the primary care ones, which follow an ambiguous at best methodology), it's pretty cool nonetheless!

Reactions: 2 users
FYI BUSM just cracked the top 30 in the USNWR research rankings, and rose in the primary care rankings. While rankings are obviously flawed (especially the primary care ones, which follow an ambiguous at best methodology), it's pretty cool nonetheless!

Link?

Has anyone mailed their MSR deposit yet? Do they send an email to verify that they've received it?

Has anyone mailed their MSR deposit yet? Do they send an email to verify that they've received it?
Yes, they received mine yesterday and emailed me asking if I had a preferred roommate

Anyone else get their aid package yet? Confused as to why they include federal loans as part of their package...Is that a normal thing that school do?

Anyone else get their aid package yet? Confused as to why they include federal loans as part of their package...Is that a normal thing that school do?
Why wouldn't they? That's what all med schools do...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
WL, withdrew. Already in at my top choice so no point dragging this out any further.

did anyone apply ED to BU?
If so, how was the process? when did they let you know for sure?

who knew! In the link it says that they will let you know by Oct 1. However, it also says you can't apply to other med schools until after you hear back from them, so unless you think you have a super high chance of getting in, it doesn't seem like a great idea. Applying in Aug/September is very late, so will hurt your chances of getting in elsewhere if you don't get into BU. Just my 2 cents though. I don't know anyone who has done it.

did anyone apply ED to BU?
If so, how was the process? when did they let you know for sure?
I was told by Dr. Offner (biochem prof and director of the MAMS program at BU) to never, ever apply for ED unless you have the highest of the highest grades and the best of the best scores and extremely strong connections with the school in question with almost 100% certainty that you will get accepted.

I was told by Dr. Offner (biochem prof and director of the MAMS program at BU) to never, ever apply for ED unless you have the highest of the highest grades and the best of the best scores and extremely strong connections with the school in question with almost 100% certainty that you will get accepted.
At that point it's not worth it to only have one option. If you've got such a great app, might as well apply to more places

Here's a psa for those on the wait list. Today, I reviewed the latest MSAR (2016-2017 cycle) at my advising office. It gave some (depressing) stats about BU's waitlist. They gave out 50-100 wait list positions, and ultimately offered 10 seats. I am unsure what year this refers to, but I assume for the incoming class of 2015.

However, I also reviewed another school's waitlist ( u of miami) where the MSAR wait list statistics greatly contradicted information I garnered during my interview day. Sooo I've decided to take these numbers with a grain of salt...but discouraging to consider how low our odds may be :(

Anyone know about the defferal process? Does BU grant deferrals? I have some very interesting international work opportunities that would interfere with the first months of classes, would like to take a deferral for this if possible.

Anyone have any idea how much $ the deposit is to hold a spot April 30?

Hey guys! Does anyone have any suggestions on what neighborhoods are good for BU med students? Partner will be working in Cambridge, and we're OK with one of us car-commuting if it's not too horrendous.

Hey guys! Does anyone have any suggestions on what neighborhoods are good for BU med students? Partner will be working in Cambridge, and we're OK with one of us car-commuting if it's not too horrendous.

SO went to dental school at BU. First he lived near the campus on mass ave and Columbus (South End) and some of the people in the apartment complex also went to BUSM. It was good to be able to walk to school and reasonably close to shops (5 -7 min walk to prudential center where there is a grocery store). Area is so-so. The next year we moved to kenmore square near the BU main campus. That's definitely a nicer area and close to many amenities within walking distance. Still close to T and shuttle runs fairly frequently to medical campus. I'd imagine it'll be easier to commute to Cambridge since my SO used to commute out of Boston and didn't take long for him to get to work in Laurence, etc. hope that helps

Does one of you have a car or would you both be relying on public transportation? Depending on where in Cambridge your partner's job is, it may be easily accessible by bus/train or it might not. Cambridge/Kenmore/Brookline is usually cheaper than the South End & parking is easier. You'd likely have to have mass plates to park in the South End or for any residential street parking. In terms of the bus, the 1 bus goes straight down mass ave between cambridge and BU, so living anywhere near that route might work for both of you. BU also has a free shuttle that runs between the undergrad campus and the med campus, so you could live near any of those bus stops as well. (Mostly along the undergrad campus, at symphony, and then the med school). Overall, I would not suggest living anywhere that would require you to drive to school.

In general, most students live in the South End, Brookline, and Cambridge. Some also live in JP and a few other surrounding areas.

Did anyone else get an email from the Dean with a paragraph about adding opiod dependance pathways to the curriculum?

They used an exact quote that I wrote in my primary app in that paragraph, so I thought it might have been tailored to me, very odd.

They used somethings we specifically talked about in my interview day so I thought the same (obscure opportunities)! It's nice to know they actually care!

Yeah I didn't get the email (also accepted)- but it's cool to know they're sending out such specifically tailored messages! With that and the nice call from an M2 last week, they're being super attentive.

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. BU is awesome, but I'll be joining the Tufts Maine Track. Hope my spot goes to one of you folks!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering, did anyone actually receive a rejection post-interview?

Because at the interview they said only a very small number of people are waitlisted, but from this thread it seems as if everyone received a waitlist and no rejections so far. Just trying to figure out if there's any hope from the waitlist or if I should just take it as a pseudo-rejection and move on!

According to MSAR, waitlist is 50-100 people and about 10 offers are made. Also rejections came out during January decision so maybe people just didn't post.

Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack, but does BUSM give preference for BU undergrads? Are most (or a large part) of accepted students from BU?

Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack, but does BUSM give preference for BU undergrads? Are most (or a large part) of accepted students from BU?
I am not sure. There is a subset that comes from the direct program. A lot of people in my interview day and the Facebook group are not from BU, far as I can tell. I am not.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hopefully someone who needs this acceptance gets it!

Anyone done the Certiphi Screening yet? Is there a due date for this?