2015-2016 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone still waiting on the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
For the secondary questions asking you to list, do you think bullet points are fine?

Members don't see this ad :)
still haven't received the secondary as well

I just got mine about 15 minutes ago and I was verified June 6th, so I'm sure you guys will get yours soon.

Got my secondary this afternoon, verified June 5th. I'm sort of bummed that they don't waive the fee.

Reactions: 1 user
is the study abroad question still being asked this year? I didn't see it on my secondary application page, but seeing people talk about it above

There is one section with a whole bunch of yes/no questions about life experiences. If you answer no, a text box will not appear. If you answer yes, a text box will appear. You may not have noticed it if you answered no since a text box wouldn't have appeared.

Are they still doing fee reductions?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Haven't got mine as yet. Wonder if it worth a call in

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't got mine as yet. Wonder if it worth a call in
I don't think so. They just started sending them yesterday. They likely had tons of primaries in their possession when they started sending them out and are still in the process of sending them to all the people they have primaries from. I'd wait until it has been at least a week since they've started sending out secondaries and you still don't have one.

I don't think so. They just started sending them yesterday. They likely had tons of primaries in their possession when they started sending them out and are still in the process of sending them to all the people they have primaries from. I'd wait until it has been at least a week since they've started sending out secondaries and you still don't have one.

You were right, I just got the Secondary eMail

if we're not entirely fluent in a second language and are working on it, can we still list it

also, when they ask what have we been doing, can i just mention the clubs i'm still involved in or do i need to explain it again

Does tutoring and teaching positions count as leadership positions of a club/organization? I definitely consider it to be leadership, but not necessarily of a club.....
I listed tutoring as a leadership position, and I got an interview (4 years ago).

Being a tutor was a significant part of my app though; I felt it demonstrated the leadership and teaching themes that I thought were important for being a doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
if we're not entirely fluent in a second language and are working on it, can we still list it

also, when they ask what have we been doing, can i just mention the clubs i'm still involved in or do i need to explain it again
It really depends on how close you are, and I don't thing anyone can quantify how close is close enough. There are two things you need to keep in mind when answering this:
1. They could start speaking to you in your second language at the interview. This is particularly true if your second language is extremely common. If you won't be able to have a sustained, specific conversation in this language during an interview without trouble, I wouldn't list it.
2. They likely ask this question because it is a benefit to medical care settings to have people who are multilingual and can explain things to non English speakers. If you don't feel like you could do this at least decently by the time you'd be a student, it might not be a good idea to answer yes.

It really depends on how close you are, and I don't thing anyone can quantify how close is close enough. There are two things you need to keep in mind when answering this:
1. They could start speaking to you in your second language at the interview. This is particularly true if your second language is extremely common. If you won't be able to have a sustained, specific conversation in this language during an interview without trouble, I wouldn't list it.
2. They likely ask this question because it is a benefit to medical care settings to have people who are multilingual and can explain things to non English speakers. If you don't feel like you could do this at least decently by the time you'd be a student, it might not be a good idea to answer yes.
Thanks! guess i'm leaving spanish off that part. Hopefully if i get an interview, they'll speak Chinese to me lol

Just a heads up, I never got an email informing me that my application is complete, but I just checked my portal, and it says my application is complete.

okay final thoughts:

Should we use Tulane University School of Medicine in full at least once, and then use TUSOM?

Or

Just start with TUSOM, because what else in the world could i be talking about?

okay final thoughts:

Should we use Tulane University School of Medicine in full at least once, and then use TUSOM?

Or

Just start with TUSOM, because what else in the world could i be talking about?
I feel like it really doesn't matter that much. I always write the whole thing out because I'm rather neurotic about proper form in written communication, but I highly doubt they'd notice or care whether you spelled it out or abbreviated.

For the questions where they ask you to list leadership and hobbies, do they want us to only list them or can we/should we also explain what each experience involved?

For the questions where they ask you to list leadership and hobbies, do they want us to only list them or can we/should we also explain what each experience involved?
I wouldn't write too long of an explanation since the wording asks us to list.

Got the secondary earlier this morning (verified 6/17). Also a bit annoyed that they reduce the app fee rather than waiving it. Only school I've seen so far that doesn't waive.

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether Tulane is more of a lecture-based or small group-based classroom setting? The website points towards both....

Does anyone know whether Tulane is more of a lecture-based or small group-based classroom setting? The website points towards both....
More of a lecture-based. Unless you decide to skip lecture, of course.

For the hobbies question, are you all just literally listing your hobbies or writing and explaining a bit about each?

Anybody else worried that listing their leadership positions is gonna end up sounding like when they described them on the AMCAS?

It essentially is listing the same things as AMCAS in some of our cases. I think they're just re-emphasizing the importance of leadership in their program by asking the question. It also gives the opportunity for people to list other leadership activities that weren't on their AMCAS if they filled the 15 activities with more important stuff. And I'm also wondering if putting the leadership positions in bullet form is the way to go. I would think that since the ADCOM has to read through 1000's of these, it would be beneficially to write these as succinct as possible

Anybody else worried that listing their leadership positions is gonna end up sounding like when they described them on the AMCAS?

see your PM's for how Tulane responded to this question via email.
very little enthusiasm or clarification...

Is it discouraged to talk about a service trip abroad that was completed the summer before starting ug?

How many points did y'all make in your statement about why Tulane interests you? I currently have two. Normally I would do three, but since we're only allowed 150 words I'm wondering if it's ok to stick to two?

How many points did y'all make in your statement about why Tulane interests you? I currently have two. Normally I would do three, but since we're only allowed 150 words I'm wondering if it's ok to stick to two?

wow three?

I only did one. I simultaneously talked about my particular interests and simultaneously connecting it to Tulane's opportunities.

I only did one. I personally tend to lean toward providing a very good explanation for a small number of reasons that are really important to me rather than trying to fit in as many reasons as I can.

YAY finally submitted! Now to work on all the others. *sob*

Lol this application really makes me feel like the least impressive person ever....

Did you work for Teach for America? No.
Did you study abroad? I did not.
Are you fluent in another language? Nope.
Were you at least a Girl Scout? Negative.

Reactions: 9 users
Lol this application really makes me feel like the least impressive person ever....

haha +1. My choice of major and minors did not allow me to participate in study abroad at my school. And all of my time pursuing hobbies, as well as activities in the research and clinical world made it hard to be in a lot of clubs. Hopefully they are willing to see past that.

haha +1. My choice of major and minors did not allow me to participate in study abroad at my school. And all of my time pursuing hobbies, as well as activities in the research and clinical world made it hard to be in a lot of clubs. Hopefully they are willing to see past that.
Yes!! I worked almost full-time in college and there was no way I could afford to go abroad and not work for a full semester. I'm conversational in 3-4 languages but not fluent, so I didn't check that I was bilingual, either.

I almost felt like the application was just looking for very specific extracurriculars and if you did something other than those, there wasn't much room to talk about what you did do.

Yes!! I worked almost full-time in college and there was no way I could afford to go abroad and not work for a full semester. I'm conversational in 3-4 languages but not fluent, so I didn't check that I was bilingual, either.

I almost felt like the application was just looking for very specific extracurriculars and if you did something other than those, there wasn't much room to talk about what you did do.

Here's to hoping they weigh the AMCAS slightly more than the secondary ;)

I feel like at least half of my secondaries have asked about a ton of qualifications, none of which (or occasionally one of which) I have. I figure, most people probably won't have any either. It sucks having to check no on everything, but I figure they probably have a lot of students that checked no on everything.

I choose to try and give a little explanation for each! Personal preference though probably.

I listed them and then added a description about the ones I didn't already talk about on my primary.