2015-2016 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still have the red dot and have been complete since last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have all green check marks on mine... not sure what that means

Reactions: 1 user
lol logged into tulane to check my communication status. took quick glance, saw "invite" but it was my old "secondary invite"
almost had a heart attack. really looking for an excuse to go to orleans to visit my old bud from college

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a seriously older nontrad (I graduated from college MANY years ago) and am wondering if folks think I'd be abusing the space if I answered the "leadership activities in college" question by listing some more recent leadership activities?

I am a seriously older nontrad (I graduated from college MANY years ago) and am wondering if folks think I'd be abusing the space if I answered the "leadership activities in college" question by listing some more recent leadership activities?
I don't think so, I think they are looking for leadership qualities in general. I graduated 5 years ago, and that was enough for me to question putting down college stuff. Go for it!

I'm in the same situation as you, and that's exactly what I did.

I got invited for an interview today. They notify you via email and then when you follow its instructions it opens a portal to allow you to schedule for an interview on their medapp.
Stats: In state, GPA: 3.83, MCAT: 34
Hope this helps good luck to all!

My "In Progress" has a green check-mark and under it it says "Interview" with a little calendar icon under the checkmark

For those of you who got IIs, how long was the turnaround between application completion and II?

I submitted on the 9th and got II on the 17th

I got invited for an interview today. They notify you via email and then when you follow its instructions it opens a portal to allow you to schedule for an interview on their medapp.
Stats: In state, GPA: 3.83, MCAT: 34
Hope this helps good luck to all!
congrats, when were you complete?

I don't think that's an abuse of the space. I think they say "in college" because they don't want traditional applicants to give them a bunch of high school stuff; they want something more recent. In your case, I think it would actually be better to show them that you didn't just do leadership in college and then give it up for the next however many years its been.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II this morning! Submitted my secondary earlier this week, dang these guys are fast!

GPA<3.4, MCAT>35,

Got an II this morning! Submitted my secondary earlier this week, dang these guys are fast!

GPA<3.4, MCAT>35,
I was complete on the 14th, It will be a miracle if I hear from them at this point lol. And Congratulations !! :)

I was complete on the 14th, It will be a miracle if I hear from them at this point lol. And Congratulations !! :)

I was complete a day before you, so I wouldn't worry yet if I were you.

OOS. Submitted 9th, II 17th. Good luck everyone :)

Does anyone know if II have gone out for other schools? I feel like Tulane was abnormally quick.

Does anyone know if II have gone out for other schools? I feel like Tulane was abnormally quick.
Check the interview invitation thread. Many schools have started sending out interview invitations.

This thread has confused me...does a LOR from a science professor you did research under and received class credit for that research count as a science LOR? It does and I'm not crazy right? Someone was trying to tell me otherwise today....I hope I wasn't wrong

This thread has confused me...does a LOR from a science professor you did research under and received class credit for that research count as a science LOR? It does and I'm not crazy right? Someone was trying to tell me otherwise today....I hope I wasn't wrong

It depends on the school. Some schools want science letters only from someone who specifically taught you in a didactic course. If tufts doesn't specifically state this it should be ok. I would call and ask if you are unsure

It depends on the school. Some schools want science letters only from someone who specifically taught you in a didactic course. If tufts doesn't specifically state this it should be ok. I would call and ask if you are unsure
You do mean for tulane and not tufts right? Is this information on their website? I'm not seeing it on msar. Thanks for the quick response

Is Tulane known for accepting most of those who interview? They interviewed 500 people for 200 seats last year. Seems like they should offer at least 2X the number of acceptances as the number of seats they're trying to fill, right? It'd be nice to know going into the interview that the focus should be not so much on trying to talk yourself into a seat as avoiding talking yourself out of it.

Quick question....in my why tulane school I briefly mentioned a minor heart condition I was diagnosed with a while back (really lot a big deal, didn't make it into pity party etc.), is this fine if I drew a connection to a quality of the physician who diagnosed me and some of the programs that they have? I just want to be sure it's ok to talk about a minor condition we were diagnosed with

Is Tulane known for accepting most of those who interview? They interviewed 500 people for 200 seats last year. Seems like they should offer at least 2X the number of acceptances as the number of seats they're trying to fill, right? It'd be nice to know going into the interview that the focus should be not so much on trying to talk yourself into a seat as avoiding talking yourself out of it.

Once you've got an interview, your odds are very good. I don't know that they accept twice as many as their class size, they ended up overfilling a few years ago because of that. But even if they accept 250 out of 500 interviewees, that's a 50% chance of getting in. Interview day is super low stress as it is, that should make you relax a little more. Just don't be lazy or overconfident on interview day. It's easy to forget where you are during the student interview. it feels like you're just talking to a colleague, not someone who is going to rate you afterwards.
A few things I've actually seen people do during the lunch interview: talk about how much they love x school (where x /= tulane), text, answer a cellphone call.

You do mean for tulane and not tufts right? Is this information on their website? I'm not seeing it on msar. Thanks for the quick response

Yeah! Sorry!

Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows: a committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet containing three letters of recommendation. Two must be from professors/ professionals of a science background, and the third letter can be from anyone of your choice. If you are out of school, choose professionals that know you well. Applicants currently enrolled in a graduate program must submit a letter from their program director.

It looks like a PI should be cool then. The schools that want someone who taught you in a formal class specifically state it . I would look at the schools website for LOR stuff. MSAR is wrong sometimes. :/

Yeah! Sorry!

Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows: a committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet containing three letters of recommendation. Two must be from professors/ professionals of a science background, and the third letter can be from anyone of your choice. If you are out of school, choose professionals that know you well. Applicants currently enrolled in a graduate program must submit a letter from their program director.

It looks like a PI should be cool then. The schools that want someone who taught you in a formal class specifically state it . I would look at the schools website for LOR stuff. MSAR is wrong sometimes. :/
Thank you very much! You have been very helpful, yeah I wish MSAR was a little more specific about LOR requirements as well

GPA<3.4, MCAT>35,

Congrats!!! I got the secondary email on July 7, submitted it on July 11 and I still have the red dot on "In Progress"
LizzyM 74.5 OOS
I wonder how the different schools do this. Any enlightened ones on this thread care to shed some light?

I finally have a green check for "in progress." I have no clue what it means, but it's a change.
Submitted & complete July 12

Does IS and OOS matter for Tulane?

I'm a New Orleans native and am currently enrolled at Tulane for undergrad. I know that Tulane is much less interested in where you are from compared to what you bring as a student doctor. If you have demonstrated a commitment to benefiting your community (via volunteering or other activities) and are willing to do the same in NOLA, that is much better than just being IS.

Tulane's interview day seems intense...

"Applicants will be interviewed by one faculty member or administrator. All interviews with faculty members or administrators are "blind" and informal. The interviewee will also participate in a "standardized patient" exercise in which they will play the role of a physician. Applicants will be also be interviewed by a current Tulane medical student. The student interview will be in the form of a "working lunch." All interviewers will write a report about the interview and that report will become a part of the applicant's file. With the addition of the interview reports, an applicant's file is considered complete and ready for review by the Admissions Committee."

Just for the record, tulanes interview day was the most laid back of my interviews! I loved my interview day

I finally have a green check for "in progress." I have no clue what it means, but it's a change.
Submitted & complete July 12

Submitted & completed July 10 and "In Progress" is still red. Hummmmmmm....

Mine changed this morning to a green mark, submitted on the 14th. I still don't really know it means. lol

I noticed my communication section says I received a app complete email yesterday, but I don't see it anywhere in my inbox, spam included. Odd.

Last edited:
Mine changed this morning to a green mark, submitted on the 14th. I still don't really know it means. lol

Finally mine changed to all Green as well, as of this afternoon. Ah the little things that make us happy :)

I submitted on the 7th. I have no green mark and no app complete communication in my portal or inbox. Hmmm..

Same, I submitted on the 14th and I now have a green check for the "In Progress" line as of this afternoon. Perhaps their committee meets on Tuesdays and they have reviewed our information.

I guess now we wait and see when the next batch of IIs get sent.

Edit: The last IIs were sent on 7/14, also a Tuesday. Has anyone received an II today?

Same, I submitted on the 14th and I now have a green check for the "In Progress" line as of this afternoon. Perhaps their committee meets on Tuesdays and they have reviewed our information.

I guess now we wait and see when the next batch of IIs get sent.

Edit: The last IIs were sent on 7/14, also a Tuesday. Has anyone received an II today?

I haven't heard anything. I submitted 7/17 and was completed immediately after I submitted.

Complete 7/14, literally just turned green... does this mean decision made?

Wait, just looked at my correspondence with them. It says

You will receive another email once your application is complete and under review. We thank you for your continued patience.

Never received a "complete" email even though I have a green check next to "file complete." Is this normal?