2015-2016 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I did a study abroad gap year after high school. It had nothing to do with my university, and I wasn't even a university student at the time. Can I mention it with a little explanatory blurb?

Members don't see this ad.

So I did a study abroad gap year after high school. It had nothing to do with my university, and I wasn't even a university student at the time. Can I mention it with a little explanatory blurb?

Totally. I never did "study abroad" but I travelled a lot so I talked about it. Just hated to leave so many questions blank.

Submitted after 1 week of painful deliberation about "why Tulane?"

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to the study abroad question, I didn't do it in college (no money and had to work) but as soon as I graduated I went to teach science and economics in China for almost a year. Do you guys think I should still just put "no" and leave it at that, or put yes and hope they let it slide even though my experiences abroad did not take place under the auspices of a university program?

In regards to the study abroad question, I didn't do it in college (no money and had to work) but as soon as I graduated I went to teach science and economics in China for almost a year. Do you guys think I should still just put "no" and leave it at that, or put yes and hope they let it slide even though my experiences abroad did not take place under the auspices of a university program?
Did you do it with a higher education institute in China (university/college or equivalent)? Did you take classes yourself? If not then I wouldn't put it there but you could mention it under abroad volunteering imo.

Submitted after 1 week of painful deliberation about "why Tulane?"
Same, I think I probably flubbed that response by mentioning like 4 things.

So when I originally submitted my application, I swear the max letters MSAR said you could send was 5...I just read the FAQ and checked on MSAR and now its max 3. I already have sent my 5 on AMCAS. Is my application ineligible or will they just randomly choose three?

Were you just teaching and not taking any classes? If you didn't take any classes in China, then I would answer no to this question because you did not actually study abroad if you didn't take any courses.

Personally, I would discuss this in response to the "study abroad" question. It sounds like a unique experience that covers both foreign cultural immersion as well as leadership experience. I would assume "teaching abroad" to be close enough to "studying abroad" to be relevant here.

Personally, I would discuss this in response to the "study abroad" question. It sounds like a unique experience that covers both foreign cultural immersion as well as leadership experience. I would assume "teaching abroad" to be close enough to "studying abroad" to be relevant here.
The issue I have is the way the question is presented. When you open the application, all you see for this question is a yes or no question that asks: "Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university?" Before you answer, there is no question asking you to describe it; it's just a question with radio buttons marked yes and no. If you click yes, then a text box appears and they ask you to describe it. I personally would feel uncomfortable actually clicking yes in response to that question (as opposed to just typing an answer into a text box without explicitly answering yes). To me, this would be similar to if I were having a conversation with a friend and he asked: "Do you own a dog?" and I said: "Yes," and then he asked about what I like to do with my dog, and I said: "Well, I actually have a cat, not a dog..." I would think my friend would be thinking: "If you have a cat and not a dog, why did you say yes when I asked if you had a dog?"

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion. I am not saying that I am certain I am right, and that it would definitely be wrong for the person who asked this question to answer yes and describe his/her experiences teaching abroad. My only purpose in this post was to explain my reasoning, not to tell others that the answer is a definite no.

To each their own opinion. But there is a designated spot for abroad volunteer work and I believe this kind of experience would fit better there rather than study abroad. Now, if he has that spot already filled then maybe put into the study abroad area if it's not already addressed in the primary to a good extent.

So when I originally submitted my application, I swear the max letters MSAR said you could send was 5...I just read the FAQ and checked on MSAR and now its max 3. I already have sent my 5 on AMCAS. Is my application ineligible or will they just randomly choose three?

Seconding this question because my school just sends out a packet and my packet has 4 letters. So will they just throw out my application or just read the first three?

On the FAQ it says that you can have more if it's in a packet.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting my work in China under "volunteering" though, since I definitely got paid. I did help some Chinese girls practice their English on the side, but calling that volunteering would be stretching not just the truth but the very fabric of space-time itself lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane's interview day seems intense...

"Applicants will be interviewed by one faculty member or administrator. All interviews with faculty members or administrators are "blind" and informal. The interviewee will also participate in a "standardized patient" exercise in which they will play the role of a physician. Applicants will be also be interviewed by a current Tulane medical student. The student interview will be in the form of a "working lunch." All interviewers will write a report about the interview and that report will become a part of the applicant's file. With the addition of the interview reports, an applicant's file is considered complete and ready for review by the Admissions Committee."

The interview day is definitely NOT intense ;) It's a traditional faculty interview, a role-play, and a student lunch interview interspersed with tours and whatnot. Most everyone reports that it is one of the more laid-back interviews they go to. Tulane is all about fit. Just be yourself and try to figure out whether you would be happy here!

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some of their "why" reasons. I don't know too much about Tulane but I've heard nothing but great things and the website isn't too specific. Thanks!

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some of their "why" reasons. I don't know too much about Tulane but I've heard nothing but great things and the website isn't too specific. Thanks!

do some research on why New orleans would be a good fit for you. It's a very different atmosphere than any other city in the US

If I calculated correctly, my score is 69. (Used gpa x 10 + MCAT). Submitted the secondary 7/4.

Awesome! I submitted it yesterday, so hoping for some good news soon :)

And congrats to you again!

Congrats to those with recent interview invites! Did you get an email or was it via status update?

Got an interview invite via email. Now to find a flight from New England to New Orleans...

Reactions: 1 users
3.3 GPA and 31 MCAT with lots of ECs. Completed on 7/9.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II as well! 71 Lizzy M (3.9/32). Submitted secondary on 7/4.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations everyone! Time to obsessively check my email for the rest of the day.

It is probably automated, right? So those of us without an invite today should expect to wait for another day?

did people who get interviews see their "in progress" dot on the portal change from red to green? mine just changed 2 min ago, have been complete since the 8th

It is probably automated, right? So those of us without an invite today should expect to wait for another day?

This was my assumption. Figure I'll live to fight another day, not gonna worry about it today.

Reactions: 1 users
If you've received an II and used the old MCAT, can you like this post? Thanks!

Edit: great, thanks! I just wanted to satisfy my neuroticism that schools are not holding it against those who use "old" MCAT scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, does anyone know if the school focuses on just academic records (GPA and MCAT) in addition to recommendation letters for II? I am just wondering if they actually do a holistic view of the entire AMCAS application.
Thank you in advance.

Hey all, does anyone know if the school focuses on just academic records (GPA and MCAT) in addition to recommendation letters for II? I am just wondering if they actually do a holistic view of the entire AMCAS application.
Thank you in advance.
They must if they invited me for an interview. My numbers are super low (LizzyM 65) but I've got all the other bells and whistles. The only way I could be considered is holistically.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally submitted! Hopefully listening to WWOZ the entire time I tried to cram my life since graduation(I'm old) into 150 words will work some voodoo magic and bring me back to nola!

This was my assumption. Figure I'll live to fight another day, not gonna worry about it today.
Did you figure out what the "green in-progress" thing meant on the portal? Good Luck !

did people who get interviews see their "in progress" dot on the portal change from red to green? mine just changed 2 min ago, have been complete since the 8th
I have green in progress too. No II yet though. Anyone else?

I have green in progress too. No II yet though. Anyone else?

I honestly didn't notice till you guys pointed it out. BUT mine doesn't say "interview". It's just green with a checkmark that says "in progress" and then a note saying they don't accept updates and stuff.

I guess I assumed it means it is "in progress" of being reviewed, and it being read = not being reviewed yet.

Mine is the same. Is that check mark where people are seeing the interview invite???

I actually asked by curiosity, since I still have the "red dot" as I have been recently complete (as of Tuesday, the 14th).

I actually asked by curiosity, since I still have the "red dot" as I have been recently complete (as of Tuesday, the 14th).
Same here, except I was complete on the 12th.