2015-2016 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@anonymous1283 I agree that it would feel good to get accepted for the sake of being accepted, but I can't help wondering what it's like to be the admissions staff/adcom.

Imagine that you have a job where you make a product for clients. You are so completely flooded with orders for this product that instead of having regular deadlines, the general atmosphere in your office is that no product is EVER done soon enough. Your product can have huge effects: on your client's career, on the reputation of your company, and even, in the long run, on other people's lives. So you work as fast and as hard as you can, and you're careful about it, because it's important.

Now, imagine that one of your clients says, "All the other companies have better turnaround time. Why aren't you done yet? What is wrong with you people?"

But when you finish the product and give it to the client, he says, "Just kidding, I didn't need this. You can give it to the next guy." --Except you can't give it to the next guy, because each product is specifically designed for the client who ordered it, so you have to start over.

A) How would you, who made this product for this person, feel?
B) How would the other clients feel, knowing that they waited in line behind this person for a product that he didn't even want?

After considering A) and B), the day I was accepted to one of my top three schools, I withdrew my applications from schools #4-#8. Not everyone in my life agreed with that decision, but I did it as a personal and professional courtesy to everyone involved in the process at those schools: admissions staff, adcom members, and prospective students. Maybe I think this way because I work for a medical school, or because my SO and another friend both work/worked in university admissions. Maybe it's just empathy. It doesn't matter.

All this is to say, I read @Rumplestiltskin 's first response, urging you to withdraw, @anonymous1283 , but I've been thinking about it for a few days and wanted to add my perspective/agreement. You probably won't, and that's your decision.

But for anyone else in the same boat as he or she is, please consider it.
This post made me feel some things. This should be mandatory reading for all the people who say things like "It's been a week since my interview, what is GOING ON?!"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Do we think they'll meet next week to make up for last week snowday? Or are we stuck waiting till March?
I think it's possible! The last time UNC had to cancel an adcom meeting due to weather, I received my acceptance call the following Monday. My adcom interviewer told me that the committee had met that day. I hope there are a ton of acceptances this Monday!!

Reactions: 4 users
If not and they adhere to not meeting late February... that would mean sending approx 80 acceptances the first two weeks of March haha (if Facebook is an accurate metric [also lol]).

Either way, about 80 are going out within ~1 month. Whoa.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current med students or those in the Chapel Hill area already. I will probably be moving to the Chapel Hill area regardless of whether I am accepted this cycle because I think I will have better chances finding a job somewhere in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, or Durham than just the city I am in... plus my person works in Raleigh. I am just wondering if anyone has recommendations on good places/areas to live. Definitely want to avoid the typical college apartment complex type situation. Any decent townhouses or quiet apartments? Any responses are much appreciated!!

Hi! I work in CH and my person works in Raleigh. We live off of Woodcroft pkwy in Durham (by exit 276). It's really convenient to 40 and there's a bus that takes me to campus (triangle transit 805). Also the tobacco trail runs through the neighborhood so you can bike/walk/run to Southpoint or (feasibly) downtown Durham. We've really enjoyed the area!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I work in CH and my person works in Raleigh. We live off of Woodcroft pkwy in Durham (by exit 276). It's really convenient to 40 and there's a bus that takes me to campus (triangle transit 805). Also the tobacco trail runs through the neighborhood so you can bike/walk/run to Southpoint or (feasibly) downtown Durham. We've really enjoyed the area!

Oh, hello! Any chance you can recommend a good joint to grab a tuna sandwich at close to your neighborhood?

Thanks,
George

Oh, hello! Any chance you can recommend a good joint to grab a tuna sandwich at close to your neighborhood?

Thanks,
George

I could if I weren't busy "Riding my Skateboard on the Sidewalk Obstructing the Path Intended for Pedestrians"..... did we just become best friends?

I could if I weren't busy "Riding my Skateboard on the Sidewalk Obstructing the Path Intended for Pedestrians"..... did we just become best friends?

Two great references in one post... since true love is the soul's recognition of its counterpoint in another, yes we did just become best friends.

here's to hoping some good news comes out today...fingers crossed, fam

Reactions: 13 users
Had a friend (in state first time applicant, interviewed late January) who was accepted today...so I guess they did meet?

Reactions: 1 user
I was in dance practice and had a missed call from my ad com! I called back a couple times and left a message without success. Anyone have an idea of when he might try me again? It's already 8 so I'm guessing that's too late..

I was in dance practice and had a missed call from my ad com! I called back a couple times and left a message without success. Anyone have an idea of when he might try me again? It's already 8 so I'm guessing that's too late..
About what time did you get the call?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview out of curiosity?

Anyone know how long after you've been accepted that your ConnectCarolina status changes?

Who sends out the acceptance email? Ms. Reed or your adcom? Right now I'm so worried about seeing an email from her for rejections

Accepted at 10:30 this morning!!!! Interview 1/27! Now to regroup for my exam in a few hours haha. Good luck everyone, they're making calls still!

Reactions: 14 users
Knew it was coming, but got the rejection email today. 'Tis a shame, UNC had always been my dream school even before i was a resident. Alas...

But on the bright side I guess getting two II's in the past 10 days or so after a couple months of nothing softens this blow a bit!

Congratulations to those of you who were accepted! Did you all also receive emails?

Knew it was coming, but got the rejection email today. 'Tis a shame, UNC had always been my dream school even before i was a resident. Alas...

But on the bright side I guess getting two II's in the past 10 days or so after a couple months of nothing softens this blow a bit!

When did you interview? Seems like they are looking mostly at January interviees.

Mine was about 2-3 days after I received my acceptance packet in the mail (a little over a week). I tried to go on and accept my offer so I could pay my $100 deposit right once I received my instructions but I had to hold off for a couple days.

Anyone know when you get invited to the Facebook page? I can't seem to find it in a general search so I'm assuming they will e-mail you a link? The funny thing is, I could of sworn I saw the Facebook group a month ago or so when I searched for it.

U can find it by searching UNC SOM Class of 2020 on facebook

Pre-II reject..... hence how I knew it was coming hahah
I'm sorry to hear that but congrats on the recent IIs! I hope you get into one of those schools!!

So I know this question can't 100% be answered, but for those of us who have been "passed over" for acceptances based on people getting in with later interview dates, does that mean we are most likely out of the running at this point?

Well damn I sure hope not lol...I interviewed Jan. 12 and I know someone who got in who interviewed at the end of January so definitely disheartening but cant lose hope...My guess is that we are still in the running, but the people who got in roughly 3-4 weeks after their interview were people UNC had to have (and kudos to them for wooing them effectively)...and proportionally most people hear back in the 8-10 week range but thats my best speculation

So I know this question can't 100% be answered, but for those of us who have been "passed over" for acceptances based on people getting in with later interview dates, does that mean we are most likely out of the running at this point?
Aren't there still a lot of acceptances for UNC to send out though? I feel like they have made a fairly large maybe pile this year full of students they wanted to look at again AFTER they have interviewed everyone... That is what I'm telling myself anyways. Interviewed in September so I've pretty much lost my sanity at this point.

Reactions: 10 users
Aren't there still a lot of acceptances for UNC to send out though? I feel like they have made a fairly large maybe pile this year full of students they wanted to look at again AFTER they have interviewed everyone... That is what I'm telling myself anyways. Interviewed in September so I've pretty much lost my sanity at this point.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we will see a lot of acceptances before mid March. Or so I hope. I also interviewed in September so we are in this together haha.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we will see a lot of acceptances before mid March. Or so I hope. I also interviewed in September so we are in this together haha.

I interviewed in November.... haven't been waiting as long as some of us but I know the feeling. I understand they take their time to give everyone a fair chance... but I would like to start planning what I'm going to do next year. Hopefully we will all hear something by next month :)

Reactions: 7 users
Good to know that I am not alone. It has been a LONG 5 months!

Very strange question, but has anyone here been rejected from ECU but is still waiting to hear back from UNC? I've been extremely nervous since my ECU rejection/discouraged because my stats were all well above ECU's average. (II, interviewed at UNC 11/03)

Very strange question, but has anyone here been rejected from ECU but is still waiting to hear back from UNC? I've been extremely nervous since my ECU rejection/discouraged because my stats were all well above ECU's average. (II, interviewed at UNC 11/03)

I was rejected from ECU in early January and interviewed there in October so yea riding the UNC boat over a waterfall right now

Is the admissions committee meeting again on the 29th?

No se...at least for me I am hoping I dont get any correspondence from UNC because it would more likely be a rejection than anything until I hit 8 weeks

I am probably waitlisted (if not rejected) by ECU too. I interviewed at ECU in early September, still no news

I was rejected pre interview from ECU in December and I'm still waiting to hear back from UNC after a September interview.

No se...at least for me I am hoping I dont get any correspondence from UNC because it would more likely be a rejection than anything until I hit 8 weeks

upload_2016-2-24_13-40-38.jpeg

rejected by ECU back in November and waiting to hear back from UNC... my stats are also above ECU's average

I wouldn't base your acceptance/rejection off stats for ECU.... I have a friend who had extremely good stats (high gpa, 36MCAT) and got into UNC, UVA and other great schools.... but was put on the wait list for ECU. Pretty odd, I'm not sure what ECU is looking for. I interviewed at ECU in January and am still waiting to hear back, but I'm not holding my breath

Last edited:
Yea ECU looks for specific ppl...that combined with class size of 80 makes for very low chances

I was rejected from ECU in early January and interviewed there in October so yea riding the UNC boat over a waterfall right now

Definitely don't worry based on that.

Last edited:

From what I know, ECU is extremely mission-oriented in their acceptances (and they give out very few, just 120-135 for 80 spots compared to some schools that accept 2-3x the # of seats) so it is highly likely that you just did not necessarily fit the mold they seek. There is also always the chance of yield protection depending on how much higher your stats were. If I were you I wouldn't worry, ECU and UNC are such different schools you really cannot take an admittance/rejection from one and then extrapolate it out to the other