2015-2016 Western Michigan University Homer Stryker Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For all who didn't get phone calls, I think we've been wait listed. Check your status on the supplemental app.
Yep, I got an email. At least I wasn't rejected :). Staying positive

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I know I'm really late here but I just wanted to throw it out there that I was accepted back in late December! I thought I had already posted in this thread but I guess I was mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an II after phone interviewing 2 weeks ago! YAY!

Reactions: 4 users
Campus II on Wednesday. Phone II was about 10 days earlier. They're still on the move! keep your heads up :)

Man. Thinking of you guys in Kalamazoo today. <3

Reactions: 3 users
Man. Thinking of you guys in Kalamazoo today. <3

Thanks. This is never something I could've imagined happening in Kalamazoo. In case you're worried, it doesn't look like any WMed students were hurt or anything like that.

Still, I would say that we're all shaken, and the families affected are weighing heavily on our minds. Thank you for keeping our community in your thoughts in this difficult time.

Certainly not what Kalamazoo should be in the national news for... heartbroken this happened in my beloved community.

Reactions: 1 users
Certainly not what Kalamazoo should be in the national news for... heartbroken this happened in my beloved community.
I hesitated to comment despite the fact that WMed was the first thing I thought of, because I'm sure the association is dispiriting. But you are not alone. This is an American suffering. The rest of us who have lived in cities and states and towns with similar tragedies are thinking about you and we care.

I hesitated to comment despite the fact that WMed was the first thing I thought of, because I'm sure the association is dispiriting. But you are not alone. This is an American suffering. The rest of us who have lived in cities and states and towns with similar tragedies are thinking about you and we care.
Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not just saying this to talk up the school, but:

This moment underscores the importance of what we're doing here at WMed, and why I personally am so passionate about it. We house the medical examiner. The families will be struggling with the pain of identifying the deceased in our building, and will be connected to support resources here. The emergency rooms where our students rotate sprang into action and provided the highest possible quality of care, saving multiple lives.

I'm pointing to that because it's reminding me personally (as I have an emotional response to this moment) of just how crucial it is to train the next generation of physician leaders. Our future pathologists and medical examiners, our future emergency docs to handle these emergencies, our future psychiatrists and primary care docs to care for the families that will struggle with this for years.

Kalamazoo will not be known as the victim of this tragedy, we'll be known as the community that came together to care for and save its wounded. We'll be known as the community that sought and found justice for the deceased. And we'll be known as a community in which physicians worked tirelessly to heal the wounds inflicted last night.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a interview on campus on March 4th, anybody know if this is the last interview day? Had my phone interview in December.

I was accepted back in Dec. and will be withdrawing. Best of luck to all those on the wait list!

Does anyone know then WMichigan will be sending students information about the new Masters program? I heard it was going to be super selective but I'm curious about the timetable and when they are planning on notifying the qualified students?

I have a interview on campus on March 4th, anybody know if this is the last interview day? Had my phone interview in December.
Also interviewing this day. When I signed up, there was one more date open. the 28th I believe? but don't quote me on it.

Accepted off the waitlist!! So grateful and excited- definitely have had K-zoo on my mind this week <3

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know then WMichigan will be sending students information about the new Masters program? I heard it was going to be super selective but I'm curious about the timetable and when they are planning on notifying the qualified students?

That sounds like a really good question for the director of admissions, as I doubt anyone here will know.

Accepted off the waitlist!! So grateful and excited- definitely have had K-zoo on my mind this week <3

Congrats!!!!

There should be one more after 3/4.. I think it's 3/18..?

I had my phone interview at the very end of January and haven't heard anything back... is it too late to hear about a campus interview?

I had my phone interview at the very end of January and haven't heard anything back... is it too late to hear about a campus interview?
Nope. More dates in March if you read the above post.

Seems they're interviewing later this year compared to last year. Maybe it's just me.

Nope. More dates in March if you read the above post.

Seems they're interviewing later this year compared to last year. Maybe it's just me.

Yes yes I saw that :) but I wasn't sure if they invite people for interview on short notice.

Yes yes I saw that :) but I wasn't sure if they invite people for interview on short notice.

Sometimes yes. I've heard of one or two people who got invited a couple days out because someone else couldn't make it.

These are obviously very very few and far between.

Any advice on how to prepare for someone who is about a week away from the on campus interview?

Any advice on how to prepare for someone who is about a week away from the on campus interview?

Ok, here's the deal. If you have an interview, that means we want you. The question is, will we have a spot for you? (We can't accept 400 interviewees into 70 seats).

On your interview day, the best thing you can do is show up, be yourself, be the person that we wanted enough to invite for an interview. And maybe be ready to think on your feet a little.

Before my interview day (wayyyy back in the interview cycle taking place in 2013/2014, yikes), I looked through the school's website, thought about what factors make WMed an attractive choice for me, and thought about the questions I would ask. Other than that, get a good night's sleep and show up with your beautiful self in the morning.

Bonus points if you wear some kind of awesome socks. (Note: my bonus points don't count for anything, I just love seeing cool socks. Somebody was wearing some with little fox faces one time and I was so jealous)

Ok, here's the deal. If you have an interview, that means we want you. The question is, will we have a spot for you? (We can't accept 400 interviewees into 70 seats).

On your interview day, the best thing you can do is show up, be yourself, be the person that we wanted enough to invite for an interview. And maybe be ready to think on your feet a little.

Before my interview day (wayyyy back in the interview cycle taking place in 2013/2014, yikes), I looked through the school's website, thought about what factors make WMed an attractive choice for me, and thought about the questions I would ask. Other than that, get a good night's sleep and show up with your beautiful self in the morning.

Bonus points if you wear some kind of awesome socks. (Note: my bonus points don't count for anything, I just love seeing cool socks. Somebody was wearing some with little fox faces one time and I was so jealous)

Shoulda worn my neon colored argyle socks... I KNEW it!!!

For those of you from warmer states, hello from Michigan after a snow storm. This was pretty much every area in town yesterday, not just this little park in town where I took a walk after work. :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 94

Okay got it, going to be myself, come prepared with questions, and rock some socks. Any idea of how many seats are left??

Okay got it, going to be myself, come prepared with questions, and rock some socks. Any idea of how many seats are left??

No clue!! :)

For the last two years we accepted at least 1 person from every single interview day, if that helps. I wish I had more insight into the admissions process, but that's not my role.

Whew, waitlisted today (campus interview was 2/12). At least it's not a "no!" Now to play the waiting game...

Another newer school without a match list yet explicitly said that if we want to match into a more competitive residency program (plastic, ortho, neurosurg, derm, etc) then we might want to look at another school. Would you say the same for Wmed?

Very tough decision to make, but I will no longer be attending my upcoming interview at WMed. I got into one of my top choices and although WMed is a great school, I don't have the financial means to spend ~ $500 on a flight if I'll likely end up choosing the other school anyway.

I hope someone deserving can take the spot!

Good luck to everyone at the interviews! I remember how excited I was when I got this interview invite. WMed looks like a great place to be.

Last edited:
Another newer school without a match list yet explicitly said that if we want to match into a more competitive residency program (plastic, ortho, neurosurg, derm, etc) then we might want to look at another school. Would you say the same for Wmed?

No clue! I will say that some schools (like Central Michigan, for example) focus explicitly on primary care. So if you were interested in let's say plastics, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to go there (either for you or for the school). WMed has no such focus. We're just focused on training exceptional physicians of every kind.

I know many of my classmates are interested in and aiming for competitive specialties. We've got a lot of great orthopedic surgeons among our faculty, and ortho is a big interest among students. A couple have explicitly said derm, a couple have said optho. I've only heard plastics from one person.

All of that to say, the students certainly aren't ruling out competitive specialties. And some of us (like me) are definitely focused on primary care. A big mix, as you might expect from a school that doesn't focus on one particular area.

I think the best comparison to us would probably be Oakland, and their 2015 match list had optho, ortho, urology, ENT. I would expect us to look somewhat like their match list, for our first matching class (mine).

Also made the very hard decision to withdraw from my upcoming interview at WMed after getting into both of my state schools. I would have loved to come visit you all in Kalamazoo, but it seemed silly to not give someone else the chance to interview at this great school. I've really enjoyed following this forum. Tellme_areyoufree, you have been so supportive and informative for the prospective students, offering so much great advice and insight. I can only hope that there are helpful individuals like you at the school I chose to attend!

Also made the very hard decision to withdraw from my upcoming interview at WMed after getting into both of my state schools. I would have loved to come visit you all in Kalamazoo, but it seemed silly to not give someone else the chance to interview at this great school. I've really enjoyed following this forum. Tellme_areyoufree, you have been so supportive and informative for the prospective students, offering so much great advice and insight. I can only hope that there are helpful individuals like you at the school I chose to attend!

And if not, you can be that person! :)

Good luck wherever you land!

After months of mulling it over, I've decided to officially withdraw from my seat today. I hope my seat goes to someone on the waitlist!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Had the 2/26 interview and was just waitlisted. How hard is it to leave the waitlist?

Had the 2/26 interview and was just waitlisted. How hard is it to leave the waitlist?
In the past, there has been a lot of waitlist movement. Many students currently at the school were initially waitlisted. It's a continuous process; the waitlist is reviewed regularly and all candidates are considered whether they were interviewed a week ago or 6 months ago.

Withdrew my acceptance today =( this was a great option but just doesn't make sense given other acceptances. Hope it goes to one of you patiently on the waitlist!!

Accepted this past Thursday off the waitlist and offered a merit scholarship - interviewed 11/20
Anyone know when second look day is? When I got the acceptance phone call I was told it was the weekend of the 1st and that I should be getting an e-mail about it, but I haven't seen the e-mail yet.

Accepted this past Thursday off the waitlist and offered a merit scholarship - interviewed 11/20
Anyone know when second look day is? When I got the acceptance phone call I was told it was the weekend of the 1st and that I should be getting an e-mail about it, but I haven't seen the e-mail yet.

Email will be coming, I'm sure. It's on April 1st - no joke. If you haven't gotten the email, consider a quick call or email to the admissions office to check in. (Sadly I won't be around for 2nd look day this year, as I will be vacationing - but it was tons of fun last year, and I hope you enjoy it!!)

Email will be coming, I'm sure. It's on April 1st - no joke. If you haven't gotten the email, consider a quick call or email to the admissions office to check in. (Sadly I won't be around for 2nd look day this year, as I will be vacationing - but it was tons of fun last year, and I hope you enjoy it!!)
Thanks! I appreciated your pun and am now energetically plotting how to orchestrate an amazing April Fools' Joke without having them revoke my acceptance offer...

Last edited:
Thanks! I appreciated your pun and am now energetically plotting how to orchestrate an amazing April Fools' Joke without having them revoke my acceptance offer...

My advice is to always be conservative in your choices until your butt is in the seat on day 1 :)