2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think it's reasonable to blame applicants for not showing interest. Successfully completing the prerequisites, checking off all the boxes (research, volunteering etc) and spending thousands on applications, writing a billion essays, and paying for interviews should be MORE than enough. That seems more like an excuse to cut some out than anything. The chances of getting into any particular school are too small, so it's not worth just applying to schools you really want to go to, and picking people buy that metric is insulting to those who have worked harder or performed better and got the axe for such a superficial reason. Also, all of these med schools talk about how much better they are than their competition and take every chance to rub their uniqueness into our faces. Do they not realize that they are all pretty much the same, try to be "different" in all of the same ways, and that applicants don't really care about any of that and just really want to be doctors? It's pretty self serving honestly. I do not believe the people making these decision understand the dedication it takes to compete with the current applicant pool because honestly, people who went to med school 20 and 30 years ago had it monumentally easier. An example is an interviewer getting on an interviewees case about not having shadowed or volunteered enough, despite having never shadowed or volunteered themselves. How easy it is for them to judge from where they sit despite not having the quintessential, and relatable, premed experience of trying to outgun your competition beyond academic coursework.

However, I know schools do exactly that (use expressed interest to pick applicants). I just don't really agree with it.

I don't like the "checking off boxes" mentality or the huge competition and financial barriers involved in this process. If something is a red flag already, then no school should interview you. It's not a benefit to the applicant or cost for the school. I can only assume that schools are genuinely interested in you as a prospective student if you interview. So I agree, playing this whole game should be more than enough to get an interview, but I disagree with the acceptance part. I don't think anybody expects applicants to truly know what school(s) they really want to go to. The interview is a big part of the school selling itself to the applicants as well.

In many ways, if there are few truly unique applicants, I hope you can appreciate how difficult it is to pick out acceptees. Perhaps its the one really passionate student during the interview that edges out the other highly similar applicants. Perhaps its the highly interested applicant who convinces the adcom of their fit. The personality and aspirations of an ideal candidate/class will vary school to school, but the real question is how different it really is. In medicine and other highly academic professions, I think it's the norm to pick on deficits with little praise for what is done well. It's a big cultural problem that probably won't die out.

Example during a lab meeting. You show great data and everybody says, "Interesting. So what's next?" You show terrible data with no significant differences, big variance, or unquantifiable images and everybody bombards you with hypotheticals usually involving technical mistakes. Rarely do people think your data truly represents the population you have sampled from.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
II today!! IS, LM of 70-69. Complete end of Sept

In shock!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch I figured they wouldn't really reject post interview.

edit: ha just got one, too. What a waste of $1000 to go interview. Interviewed in January
Sorry about the news.

Could you share what date in january? I interviewed the 14th and no news :(

I don't like the "checking off boxes" mentality or the huge competition and financial barriers involved in this process. If something is a red flag already, then no school should interview you. It's not a benefit to the applicant or cost for the school. I can only assume that schools are genuinely interested in you as a prospective student if you interview. So I agree, playing this whole game should be more than enough to get an interview, but I disagree with the acceptance part. I don't think anybody expects applicants to truly know what school(s) they really want to go to. The interview is a big part of the school selling itself to the applicants as well.

In many ways, if there are few truly unique applicants, I hope you can appreciate how difficult it is to pick out acceptees. Perhaps its the one really passionate student during the interview that edges out the other highly similar applicants. Perhaps its the highly interested applicant who convinces the adcom of their fit. The personality and aspirations of an ideal candidate/class will vary school to school, but the real question is how different it really is. In medicine and other highly academic professions, I think it's the norm to pick on deficits with little praise for what is done well. It's a big cultural problem that probably won't die out.

Example during a lab meeting. You show great data and everybody says, "Interesting. So what's next?" You show terrible data with no significant differences, big variance, or unquantifiable images and everybody bombards you with hypotheticals usually involving technical mistakes. Rarely do people think your data truly represents the population you have sampled from.

But literally none of that matters. None of the "fit" stuff means anything. Everyone is just going to study all the same material regardless of what school they're in an they aren't going to have time for much else.

Ok, so if I wasn't accepted and I wasn't rejected.....when do I expect to find out if I'm on the waitlist?

The pattern from last year was: acceptance, rejection, WL, HPWL (they tell you in the e-mail if you are HP or not). Since post-II rejections are starting to come out, I think WL is probably next. That should come out next week. Then HPWL should come out in mid Feb.

The earliest acceptances off of the HPWL were in March, but most came in April. Some in June.

Sooo for those awesome people who have scoured previous years threads. If we didnt hear back during that first wave, when can we expect waitlist decisions?

The pattern from last year was: acceptance, rejection, WL, HPWL (they tell you in the e-mail if you are HP or not). Since post-II rejections are starting to come out, I think WL is probably next. That should come out next week. Then HPWL should come out in mid Feb.

The earliest acceptances off of the HPWL were in March, but most came in April. Some in June.

People in last years thread also reported more rounds of acceptances for people that interviewed mid Jan and later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

People in last years thread also reported more rounds of acceptances for people that interviewed mid Jan and later.

What about people who interviewed in early January? Do you think acceptances have already been extended to those people?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about people who interviewed in early January? Do you think acceptances have already been extended to those people?

I interviewed the 3rd and haven't heard anything--don't think anyone who said they were already accepted mentioned interviewing in January either

I interviewed the 3rd and haven't heard anything--don't think anyone who said they were already accepted mentioned interviewing in January either
Last year I think January people heard back of Acceptances 2nd week of march. But someone a few posts up got post interview rejection who interviewed in January,

Last edited:
Last year I think January people heard back 2nd week of march. But someone a few posts up got post interview rejection who interviewed in January,

I did. I thought the interview went well, too. I couldn't tell you why I was rejected so quickly.

I did. I thought the interview went well, too. I couldn't tell you why I was rejected so quickly.
Don't make it get to you or bring you down. Some things are out of our control, I'm sure you performed well but this process is so variable and random

Reactions: 2 users
Last year I think January people heard back 2nd week of march. But someone a few posts up got post interview rejection who interviewed in January,

second week of March?? argh that's a month away :arghh: Why

First post-interview rejection here last night. Stings a bit more than the pre-interview ones (also, it was my first interview way back when). Good luck to everyone still in consideration or accepted, it seemed like a great school with awesome students!

Reactions: 5 users
Rejected pre-II just now, complete back in July. This one really stung. I thought I might have a shot given how late in the cycle they interview. Oh well, best of luck all.

But literally none of that matters. None of the "fit" stuff means anything. Everyone is just going to study all the same material regardless of what school they're in an they aren't going to have time for much else.

Good fit/environment for a student can ensure they do the best they can. Teaching methods, support system, general fit with the city/area, and so many other things can affect a student's success. So a school picks students that will do well specifically at that school. Again, when everybody studies the same material, shouldn't a school pick a student body that would do well at their school?

But we can agree to disagree.

Just cancelled my interview (really hard decision), hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 5 users
Should I send a post-II update letter? But if I get WL-ed I will have nothing to update. If I don't update I'm afraid I won't even get a WL Ahhhhhh (praying for HPWL)

What should I do????

Should I send a post-II update letter? But if I get WL-ed I will have nothing to update. If I don't update I'm afraid I won't even get a WL Ahhhhhh (praying for HPWL)

What should I do????

I would say it depends when you interviewed. If it was any date in 2016 or early to mid January I would wait until you get your decision, since there's a good chance it's already been made. That way if you're waitlisted you can tie your updates in with a letter of interest/intent. The worst possible case is if you're rejected, which in that case an update letter wouldn't be the deciding factor unless you've done something tremendously substantial post II.

I would say it depends when you interviewed. If it was any date in 2016 or early to mid January I would wait until you get your decision, since there's a good chance it's already been made. That way if you're waitlisted you can tie your updates in with a letter of interest/intent. The worst possible case is if you're rejected, which in that case an update letter wouldn't be the deciding factor unless you've done something tremendously substantial post II.
I had the same thoughts when decisions were sent out earlier last week. I'm just unsure how much an update letter would make a difference right now. Even if I did send it I probably should've sent it a month earlier. You have a good point though.

Accepted to Albert Einstein as of Feb 1st!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm soon to interview here, and I have absolutely no research experience.

Think I'm going to get raked over the coals for that in my interview?

Do you think it will seriously damage my chances of acceptance? ~This is a reach school for me.

It was the first thing asked at mine, but he was just interested in my project.

They wanted to interview you so they like something about you. Maybe be prepared for the "why didnt u do research" question

Do you think it will seriously damage my chances of acceptance? ~This is a reach school for me.
Absolutely not, I have 0 research experience, and Albert Einstein is my 4th medical school acceptance.
Remember that research is only one of the ways that a student can demonstrate scientific curiosity and passion, but if you are picked to interview they already liked what they saw, and you already overcame the most difficult obstacle, but now you need to demonstrate that you are going to be the right fit for the school, and vice versa. Remember to articulate your passions and who you are in a clear manner. One thing I really liked about Einstein it was how chill and friendly the staff, interviewer, and the medical students were. I even sat through a class with my fellow interviewees led by a cardiologist talking about hypertension and it was great. Enjoy yourself during all of your interviews, be friendly with everyone you meet, and be yourself. Don't say anything you don't mean or doesn't align with who you are because they'll see right through it. Talk about your experiences and how your life events compelled you to want to become a physician.

Reactions: 1 users
It is ludicrous how many people this school interviews... straight up offensive frankly. My interview group was like 40-50 people, they herded us around like cattle. They make you grovel and brown nose for an acceptance off the HPWL or even just a WL position at all. And then end up accepting the kids who are from Long Island/NYC area preferentially anyway. Might as well only just interview them off the bat as well as the Cali kids who can't get into Cali schools then and don't make other people fly across the country. A waste of everyone's resources all around.
LOL the University of Vermont interviews like 100 people, it was insane

Is anyone having/had trouble logging in to the scheduler?

Nope - I do not. IMO Einstein really does a good job of holistically evaluating each applicant. Identify your strengths and focus on 'em. Shake off the notion that you have to conform the the cookie cutter applicant to be accepted. It's not true.

It is ludicrous how many people this school interviews... straight up offensive frankly. My interview group was like 40-50 people, they herded us around like cattle. They make you grovel and brown nose for an acceptance off the HPWL or even just a WL position at all. And then end up accepting the kids who are from Long Island/NYC area preferentially anyway. Might as well only just interview them off the bat as well as the Cali kids who can't get into Cali schools then and don't make other people fly across the country. A waste of everyone's resources all around.

Lol, I guess you gave your interview to the next person then?

Lol, I guess you gave your interview to the next person then?
If u followed this thread you would see that the poster was rejected post interview and his comments came from a place of anger. The smart aleck comment isnt really helping

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got waitlisted, interviewed mid-Nov. Are my chances pretty much done?

Just got waitlisted, interviewed mid-Nov. Are my chances pretty much done?

Current MS2 here. So, I think its been mentioned in this thread before. Generally speaking if you are on the regular waitlist (the email should mention if you are high priority or regular waitlist) the chances of getting off of it, are not that great. However, a big thing with Einstein is that you have to show that you really want to come here. So my recommendation would be to give frequent updates and continue to reaffirm your interest in attending the school. Its not impossible to get accepted off the regular waitlist just less likely. Showing interest is the only thing that you can physically do at this point. Good luck and don't lose hope.

They're sending waitlist emails today, so next wave will be hpwl?

Does anyone know when someone who interviewed in mid Jan will hear back? Should I send an update letter before the decision?

Does anyone know when someone who interviewed in mid Jan will hear back? Should I send an update letter before the decision?
from last year it seemed like big batch of acceptances came out 1/2 week of march

just waitlisted after interviewing 1/6, but the email didn't specify regular or high-priority, so I called admissions and they told me that there is no such thing as a high priority waitlist vs regular and there's only one. So I'm wondering is the high priority waitlist an informal thing the adcom doesn't talk about, did they straight up just lie and say that there is no hpwl, or did they get rid of it entirely?

just waitlisted after interviewing 1/6, but the email didn't specify regular or high-priority, so I called admissions and they told me that there is no such thing as a high priority waitlist vs regular and there's only one. So I'm wondering is the high priority waitlist an informal thing the adcom doesn't talk about, did they straight up just lie and say that there is no hpwl, or did they get rid of it entirely?

Hmm, then I guess it's an informal thing? I can't think of any reason why the admission staff would lie about such thing. We'll find out soon enough, probably next Monday.

Lol what. I am so confused.

I interviewed early Jan as well.

Current MS2 here. So, I think its been mentioned in this thread before. Generally speaking if you are on the regular waitlist (the email should mention if you are high priority or regular waitlist) the chances of getting off of it, are not that great. However, a big thing with Einstein is that you have to show that you really want to come here. So my recommendation would be to give frequent updates and continue to reaffirm your interest in attending the school. Its not impossible to get accepted off the regular waitlist just less likely. Showing interest is the only thing that you can physically do at this point. Good luck and don't lose hope.

hey, just wanted to draw your attention to my post and ask your input:

Can someone post the body of the email that describes the waitlist? I interviewed in September and have yet to hear anything back.

Well this is a strange turn of events. Given that I didn't receive a "normal" waitlist today I'm hoping it's not true but I can't imagine them lying to you. (Especially cause as I remember from my interview everyone in Admissions is so nice!)