2016-2017 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If BU screwed up and over-accepted people last year, will these seats be taken out of the MAMS pool or everyone's pool? I know MAMS students are considered separately.

Members don't see this ad.

We can debate our individual interpretations of his post, discuss his word choice, and come to an entirely unproductive conclusion. Fact of the matter is this person should really relax. It's going to be a long and taxing process. It helps absolutely no one to post raging comments 5 days into secondary season. Much less so when you consider how unjustified it is to be "pissed" or "ansty" toward the situation AT THE CURRENT MOMENT. He will receive his secondary whether it is this week or early next week and his chances of admission will not have been affected whatsoever.

The rest of a cycle is different. It is irritating when you still have to submit a secondary, something that you have control over, and can't do so. Infinitely more so when you hear of individuals who aren't even verified yet receiving secondaries from an automatic system that sends them to everyone. Once everything is submitted and out of your hands there's no pressure since at that point you have done everything there is to do from your end. At least that's the way I see it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm really not even paranoid/worried; I'm just kinda pissed that I put in so much effort to get verified early and be in the first round of submissions. Here we are a week later and some people have likely already completed their secondaries while others haven't received it yet.

I fully recognize that I'm being neurotic about the whole "be early" thing, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. All of my other schools are on the slower/later side of the spectrum so I'm getting super antsy!

Get ready cause this is what the whole cycle will be like. You have done all the work to submit day one, but people are going to submit their primary early july, verified early August, complete mid August, and still will have the same advantage as you. Then they'll get IIs before you. It's the way it works, so just let it happen. Isn't that fun?

Members don't see this ad :)
We can debate our individual interpretations of his post, discuss his word choice, and come to an entirely unproductive conclusion. Fact of the matter is this person should really relax. It's going to be a long and taxing process. It helps absolutely no one to post raging comments 5 days into secondary season. Much less so when you consider how unjustified it is to be "pissed" or "ansty" toward the situation AT THE CURRENT MOMENT. He will receive his secondary whether it is this week or early next week and his chances of admission will not have been affected whatsoever.

I appreciate what you're getting at, I'm just saying I think OP might have been expressing only slight agitation in terms seen by many as "raging." It's a common problem for people with a certain communication style, especially sarcastic people like me. I've had a lot of my friends think I'm actually really upset when I'm really only slightly annoyed and am just being sarcastic about it. (100% of these occurrances have happened through texting or other written means - the real sentiment generally comes through in verbal communication)

Bottom line, he understands that it's not that big a deal, he's just venting some annoyance at the situation.

We can debate our individual interpretations of his post, discuss his word choice...

and you're telling me to relax? Jesus Christ, dude. Yeah, the whole process is a black box and there's a ton of long stretches waiting around with no idea when/if you'll hear any news. Regardless, it would be nice if an early part that is automatic and in all likelihood automated was slightly less unpredictable than the remainder of the season.

Go easy with the trying to psychoanalyze people based on a three sentence post. As has been pointed out to you, this is a slight annoyance vent, not a rage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'ma let 'yall finish, but real quick:
If BU screwed up and over-accepted people last year, will these seats be taken out of the MAMS pool or everyone's pool? I know MAMS students are considered separately.

+pity+

I would assume both. Not sure where the current class stands and how many people chose to defer matriculation/withdrew but I would probably say it won't impact admissions too much. 25-30 seats are for MAMS students so expect that number to be on the lower end this year depending on the strength of the two applicant pools.

Last edited:
To all Boston Medical Students (and applicants), can you guys provide me with some unique things about BU Medical College, except its geographical location, etc. Really appreciate it.

To all Boston Medical Students (and applicants), can you guys provide me with some unique things about BU Medical College, except its geographical location, etc. Really appreciate it.
Excellent training hospital. BMC is the safetynet hospital of the city. As such, they work with an exceptionally diverse patient population and students receive phenomenal EM training.

Accidentally used different versions of the the same essay for the narrative/timeline prompt and the optional other prompt at the end... Looks like I don't have to worry about an interview from BU lol

Accidentally used different versions of the the same essay for the narrative/timeline prompt and the optional other prompt at the end... Looks like I don't have to worry about an interview from BU lol
I think u can send them an email apologizing and attaching a different essay , for what it's worth.

still no secondary.. this is driving me crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! Not sure why they don't send them all at once haha

Do they not want us to apply? Cuz that's kind of how I'm feeling right now :)

still no secondary.. this is driving me crazy
Yeah this has been concerning me too. I don't have all my designated LORs in... maybe that's why? But a friend of mine told me he got the secondary before even being verified...

Yeah this has been concerning me too. I don't have all my designated LORs in... maybe that's why? But a friend of mine told me he got the secondary before even being verified...

I think it's entirely on their end. I'm verified and my LORs are in and everything, literally nothing else for me to do besides their secondary, haven't gotten anything yet. Not sure what their deal is. They need to just send a secondary to all their applicants at one time IMO.

It's definitely completely random. I just submitted my primary on Friday, my committee letter isn't in, and I got the secondary about an hour ago. Just be patient y'all.

I'm honestly happy I haven't gotten a secondary yet. It'd just be one more on the list I have to catch up on.

I emailed and called them, both times got the answer: "We are sending them out in batches."

Not sure what criteria determines these batches, but thats the official word I guess.

I emailed and called them, both times got the answer: "We are sending them out in batches."

Not sure what criteria determines these batches, but thats the official word I guess.
Got same answer. Was verified first week, MCAT and LORs in but still no secondary.

Got the secondary today. Some of you folks should be getting them too

Submitted! Wasn't too bad. Basically all the questions are optional. They make a big point of "don't put fluff in here if it's not 100% relative to the question."

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history.
For this question, does this more relate to college activities or anything previous. I did things like study in a different country and stuff prior to college and even high school, but I'm not sure if that would apply to this question.

In the "city of birth" field on the pre-registration form, it indicates "Only the city name and exactly as shown in the same field of your AMCAS application."

If I simply but the name of the city without the state, etc., what good could that possibly do? My birthplace field on my primary reads "City name, County Name(U), State, United States". Any input from others who have already filled this out?

Thanks!

---------

(Edit) Nevermind this! I see now that this was a measure to ensure identity.

For their prerequisite grid, I'm a little confused as to converting my quarter hours into semester hours

Quarter/Trimester Conversion: 3 quarters/trimesters - 2 semesters (If your calculation is not a whole number, round up)

Can anyone clarify this?

EDIT: Nvm it's actually 3 quarters/trimesters = 2 semesters

Last edited:
For the mcat section of the secondary, what do you have to do for their instructions:

Instructions:
Select your MCAT Test date below (select latest possible date you will take.)
To Defer review of application for new test scores, click below.

How do I "select" my MCAT test date?

Secondary submitted! I live within walking distance of this school so an II would be quite nice :)

Secondary received today! Primary still not verified though.

Is it okay if we answer the questions in a couple of sentences at best? Like this:

1) Did you go on to college directly after high school? (1400 characters) Yes.

2) Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If no, explain: (1400 characters) Unfortunately, I struggled in my early undergraduate career and did not perform as well as I would have liked, etc. etc. Did an SMP at BU, etc. 1-2 sentences.

3) If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.). (1400 characters) N/A

4) Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters) N/A

5) Optional: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career inmedicine.This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters) N/A

....like, that's it? lol. I'm breaking out in a sweat submitting the secondary nearly empty but frankly I don't have any amazing experiences worth sharing.

....like, that's it? lol. I'm breaking out in a sweat submitting the secondary nearly empty but frankly I don't have any amazing experiences worth sharing. [/B]
In previous years there have been applicants accepted with essentially just that. If you have nothing to say, don't try to force it.

In previous years there have been applicants accepted with essentially just that. If you have nothing to say, don't try to force it.

So better nothing at all rather than try and talk about a smaller experience that amounts to only a few sentences? In my USC secondary I talked about how my recent visit to China to see my grandparents had been really interesting since I had just gotten my minor in anthropology. I was able to question and understand their culture a bit better because I was able to see it from a new perspective, but I'm not sure if I can write an entire essay on it without sounding repetitive. Write or nah?

@DocSami - how would a person with a more robust length of life ;) be received? It was suggested I apply here. Thank you!

For the educational history it sounds like they are looking for more positive things, and not explanations for mishaps/weirdness in our educational history, correct?

I withdrew from my Master's program to help care for my mom, which ultimately resulted in my decision to permanently withdraw and pursue medicine. But, this is not really a "learning experience" as they describe it, so I'm not sure if I should include it.

For the educational history it sounds like they are looking for more positive things, and not explanations for mishaps/weirdness in our educational history, correct?

I withdrew from my Master's program to help care for my mom, which ultimately resulted in my decision to permanently withdraw and pursue medicine. But, this is not really a "learning experience" as they describe it, so I'm not sure if I should include it.

I'm struggling a bit with answering this question too, but I think its basically an "educational diversity" question. i.e does anything make you stand out in that regard. You could possibly spin that story into something that fits the prompt.

I'm curious to hear how others answered this question. Anyone willing to share?