2016-2017 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm struggling a bit with answering this question too, but I think its basically an "educational diversity" question. i.e does anything make you stand out in that regard. You could possibly spin that story into something that fits the prompt.

I'm curious to hear how others answered this question. Anyone willing to share?
I talked about being a first generation college grad, and how growing up my parents instilled in me a strong sense of pride in my education, and how that affected my approach to college. I talked about working through college to fund my education, and working hard to ensure that none of that work went to waste in the classroom. And then I went on to explain how that helped me understand how hard it is to attain a college education, and how that helps me to connect with those less fortunate than myself and make me a more compassionate physician/help my peers to do the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Re: committee letter, what did you guys write if you chose not to include a committee letter? I personally didn't choose to go that route because a) I wanted my letters in earlier (the committee at my school doesn't send them out until August at earliest b) I didn't know my advisor so I felt that my personal letters could reflect on my character and achievements better. Is that a sufficient explanation for the opt out? I didn't realize that not including a committee letter would need an explanation, so I'm kinda nervous now...

Reactions: 1 user
Re: committee letter, what did you guys write if you chose not to include a committee letter? I personally didn't choose to go that route because a) I wanted my letters in earlier (the committee at my school doesn't send them out until August at earliest b) I didn't know my advisor so I felt that my personal letters could reflect on my character and achievements better. Is that a sufficient explanation for the opt out? I didn't realize that not including a committee letter would need an explanation, so I'm kinda nervous now...

I wrote a quick blurb about how my school does not have a committee to get a letter from.

At this point, I think the best thing to do is be honest about your intentions if you plan on sending only personal letters. I'm assuming that they are going to be more lenient with the committee letter requirement if they are giving you a chance to explain why you did not include one.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote a quick blurb about how my school does not have a committee to get a letter from.

At this point, I think the best thing to do is be honest about your intentions if you plan on sending only personal letters. I'm assuming that they are going to be more lenient with the committee letter require if they are giving you a chance to explain why you did not include one.

Oh that's a positive way of looking at it. I was really worried because I thought if it didn't matter, they wouldn't ask? I don't know haha. *neurotic tremble*

Oh that's a positive way of looking at it. I was really worried because I thought if it didn't matter, they wouldn't ask? I don't know haha. *neurotic tremble*

Haha it's all good. I would give them a call and ask if there is a chance that it will calm your nerves.

If I took a Biology lecture and a Biology lab as separate courses in the same semester, would they be considered in the 'Total Lecture with Lab semesters' column or would I assign them individually to the 'Lecture only' and 'Lab only' columns? I think I'm overthinking the easy stuff haha

If I took a Biology lecture and a Biology lab as separate courses in the same semester, would they be considered in the 'Total Lecture with Lab semesters' column or would I assign them individually to the 'Lecture only' and 'Lab only' columns? I think I'm overthinking the easy stuff haha

I listed them separately. I took a few classes where the class had a combined lab, in which case I classified those as "lecture with lab."

In the "city of birth" field on the pre-registration form, it indicates "Only the city name and exactly as shown in the same field of your AMCAS application."

If I simply but the name of the city without the state, etc., what good could that possibly do? My birthplace field on my primary reads "City name, County Name(U), State, United States". Any input from others who have already filled this out?

Thanks!

---------

(Edit) Nevermind this! I see now that this was a measure to ensure identity.

Try being born on a military base overseas where the "city name" is technically the name of the island and not the city...

Is anybody else going to use the optional essay to write about "Why BU"?

I have already used the narrative question as my diversity statement. Choosing between leaving the final optional question blank or using it as a Why BU essay.

Would writing an essay concerning how 2 family deaths motivated me to strengthen the emphasis on cultural competency and awareness in medicine be suitable for the optional essay? I'm paranoid that whoever reads my application may feel the essay isn't absolutely necessary since BU makes it a point to keep applications as concise as possible.

Would writing an essay concerning how 2 family deaths motivated me to strengthen the emphasis on cultural competency and awareness in medicine be suitable for the optional essay? I'm paranoid that whoever reads my application may feel the essay isn't absolutely necessary since BU makes it a point to keep applications as concise as possible.

I think it can help you if these topics aren't covered in the rest of your application. Cultural anthropology is a a field that medical schools are pushing for more students to understand (ex: most med schools are now requiring students to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down), so respect and understanding for other cultures, esp from first hand experience, are admirable traits. You may also consider including your thoughts on how losing a family member have given you more compassion for others who are ill or who have ill family members, to create a wholesome narrative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Application "complete and under review" ahhhh
Does anyone remember when BU started sending out interviews last year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Application "complete and under review" ahhhh
Does anyone remember when BU started sending out interviews last year?

Same here! And it looks like around the first week of august, last year.

Would using the optional essay to explain the C's I received be a good idea?

Would using the optional essay to explain the C's I received be a good idea?
I think it depends, if you have a really good reason (death in the family, personal medical issues, etc.) it might be wise so they don't rule you out. It is up to you though. You want to make yourself look as great as possible

Did you guys put the total number of semesters in the course requirement grid or just the minimum to fulfill the requirement? Should I really be counting up all my humanities courses or just putting 2?

Did you guys put the total number of semesters in the course requirement grid or just the minimum to fulfill the requirement? Should I really be counting up all my humanities courses or just putting 2?

The way I read it, I think they would like us to list *all* of our coursework that fits into those categories, just don't double-count anything.

The way I read it, I think they would like us to list *all* of our coursework that fits into those categories, just don't double-count anything.
I agree. I counted all of my humanities courses, which is more than the max number of courses you can enter (20). I picked the max number from the drop down menu and then made a note in the box below the grid. That's what the FAQ for the prerequisite grid said to do.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

I agree. I counted all of my humanities courses, which is more than the max number of courses you can enter (20). I picked the max number from the drop down menu and then made a note in the box below the grid. That's what the FAQ for the prerequisite grid said to do.

Doesn't the grid ask for # of semesters not # of courses you took?

Doesn't the grid ask for # of semesters not # of courses you took?
That's what I thought, but then I read the FAQ, and it says if you took 3 courses of the same type in one semester you would count that as 3 semesters. By semesters, I think they just mean semester long courses

That's what I thought, but then I read the FAQ, and it says if you took 3 courses of the same type in one semester you would count that as 3 semesters. By semesters, I think they just mean semester long courses

That's what I took it to mean as well!

I can't login either

ImageUploadedBySDN1469632582.594583.jpg

+2

... Niantic plz

I was able to login with both Firefox & Safari, but you can't use a bookmarked page and you can't have Safari/Firefox/Chrome save your password. It's kind of a pain, but I went to Checklist from the "Initial Contact" email and clicked the portal link from there.

Anyone else not able to login to the web portal?

Also, anyone else waiting on receipt of an IA letter?

My IA was sent out on the 17th and just arrived yesterday (suspiciously the same day I called admissions about it).

I want to talk about my study abroad experience. Should that to in the education essay or the optional essay?

Does anybody know if Boston University is really strict about letterhead? I've been marked complete at almost all of the other schools I've applied to (even those that require letterhead) and only Boston has sent me an email saying one of my letters doesn't have letterhead. Even Interfolio confirmed that this letter apparently does have letterhead...should I ask the people in admissions to recheck the letter?

Does anybody know if Boston University is really strict about letterhead? I've been marked complete at almost all of the other schools I've applied to (even those that require letterhead) and only Boston has sent me an email saying one of my letters doesn't have letterhead. Even Interfolio confirmed that this letter apparently does have letterhead...should I ask the people in admissions to recheck the letter?
AMCAS can also check on this for you if you call them! :)

Hey! How did you check that on interfolio? I'm having the same problem!

Hey! How did you check that on interfolio? I'm having the same problem!

I just called interfolio and asked the person if she could check if one of my letters was on official letterhead :)

*edit - woops I accidentally put the AMCAS number - interfolio's number is (877) 997-8807 if you still need it haha

Last edited:
I just called interfolio and asked the person if she could check if one of my letters was on official letterhead :)

*edit - woops I accidentally put the AMCAS number - interfolio's number is (877) 997-8807 if you still need it haha

Thanks! I just called them about it. :)

Did they explicitly say not to double-count any courses?

Also, my university doesn't give out committee letters, but rather a letter packet of personal letters assembled by the pre-med advising committee. Would I still need to answer that question?

I want to talk about my study abroad experience. Should that to in the education essay or the optional essay?
I'm putting it in the education essay because they explicitly say if you lived in another country or experienced another culture.

Did they explicitly say not to double-count any courses?

Also, my university doesn't give out committee letters, but rather a letter packet of personal letters assembled by the pre-med advising committee. Would I still need to answer that question?

Pretty sure it said that somewhere before the grid.

So I took my Bio 1 lecture by itself and my Bio 2 lecture with both Bio 1 and 2 Lab. Does anyone know how to denote that in the prereq grid? Since each "course" counts as a semester, would it be 1 "Lecture only semester" and 2 "lecture with lab semesters"?

So I took my Bio 1 lecture by itself and my Bio 2 lecture with both Bio 1 and 2 Lab. Does anyone know how to denote that in the prereq grid? Since each "course" counts as a semester, would it be 1 "Lecture only semester" and 2 "lecture with lab semesters"?
Are your labs separate classes on your transcript from the lecture or are their grades incorporated into the lecture grade? If separate, you would in total add 2 semesters lecture only and 2 semesters lab only.

Are your labs separate classes on your transcript from the lecture or are their grades incorporated into the lecture grade? If separate, you would in total add 2 semesters lecture only and 2 semesters lab only.

they're separate lol. Dang, that means I gotta go back and fix my chemistry section too. I already submitted the app though so do you think it's possible to just type the corrections out on excel, transfer it to Word, and submit the document as an update?

they're separate lol. Dang, that means I gotta go back and fix my chemistry section too. I already submitted the app though so do you think it's possible to just type the corrections out on excel, transfer it to Word, and submit the document as an update?
I'm not sure what warrants an update and what doesn't but from threads I've read on here I think updates are mainly for bigger things. Maybe call admissions and ask what you should do if you realized you classified some of your courses incorrectly post-submission? I get the feeling they won't mind much, but then again what do I know lol

Got the 'application complete' status about 2 weeks ago - my prehealth committee sends a letter packet including the committee letter and compilation of my academic LORs. Would BU adcom tell me if any of my LORs weren't signed/on letterhead? I can't help but wonder if a non-valid LOR is holding up my application at any of the schools I've applied to. I suppose the easiest way would be to ask my letter writers, but somehow I loathe opening that can of worms.

Got the 'application complete' status about 2 weeks ago - my prehealth committee sends a letter packet including the committee letter and compilation of my academic LORs. Would BU adcom tell me if any of my LORs weren't signed/on letterhead? I can't help but wonder if a non-valid LOR is holding up my application at any of the schools I've applied to. I suppose the easiest way would be to ask my letter writers, but somehow I loathe opening that can of worms.

BU told me when one of mine wasn't signed. They were the only school that did. You're fine.

So according to last year's thread, II's started 8/5...

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, thinking about throwing my hat in here. I couldn't find anywhere on BU's website how much the secondary fee is, could someone who's applied post it?