2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II to university track today! Super excited to visit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You give me hope, sir. That is a cruel thing to have done.

How sure are most people about attending Case? I'm just curious. For me, I think the second look weekend and financial aid will be the deciding factors.

But fit wise, I fell in love.

This, exactly. I'm really really hoping the money side of things works out, because otherwise I really loved this place. Excited to see you all at second look!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm pretty sure I will be attending case, or cleveland clinic if accepted lol. Really looking forward to second look and financial aid as well.

Second look was a ton of fun. Case went all out.

CWRU SOM M3 here. Had to reply since I too chose case over Dartmouth, which had actually offered me a better scholarship. CWRU offers a variety of clinical sites with little competition for rotations, and the 4-months of protected research time is useful to crank out some research and also catch up on life things. Not to mention the fact that we have a LOT of free time in our pre-clinical years (bearintraining, make sure you enjoy it!).

My biggest reason for choosing CWRU however was the non-competitive, collaborative atmosphere. Med school is hard, but way more manageable when you're with a supportive group of peers. I just really think the vast majority of CWRU med students are pleasant people to be around- this was the case for me when I was an M1, and still is today.

do you know anything about the dual degree programs? is it true that it is free?

do you know anything about the dual degree programs? is it true that it is free?
If you're referring to the MSTP (Medical Scientist Training Program; MD/PhD) or CSTP (Clinical Scientist Training Program; MD/MS), then yes! Both programs are entirely free with ~$30,000 yearly stipend. Same goes for the CCLCM (Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine; MD/MS) 5 year program.

If you're referring to the MSTP (Medical Scientist Training Program; MD/PhD) or CSTP (Clinical Scientist Training Program; MD/MS), then yes! Both programs are entirely free with ~$30,000 yearly stipend. Same goes for the CCLCM (Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine; MD/MS) 5 year program.
Entirely free as in there is no tuition to pay at all??

Entirely free as in there is no tuition to pay at all??
Yes, however, you have to apply specifically to these programs to be considered for acceptance. You cannot retroactively join the MSTP or CSTP after being accepted to the University Program.

Reactions: 1 users

They do have free 4 year MD + Bioethics and MD + Applied Anatomy dual degree programs where the extra masters is essentially free. Not sure what the MPH situation is

Reactions: 2 users

Yes, however, you have to apply specifically to these programs to be considered for acceptance. You cannot retroactively join the MSTP or CSTP after being accepted to the University Program.

Where is information about the CSTP program? The closest thing I can find is the MD/MS in Biomedical Investigation - Clinical Research track, and it doesn't say anything about having to apply before acceptance or getting full tuition (though there is no tuition charge for the research year).

Members don't see this ad :)
They do have free 4 year MD + Bioethics and MD + Applied Anatomy dual degree programs where the extra masters is essentially free. Not sure what the MPH situation is

Yes, @liquidsodium is correct. I think for the MPH or JD or others that are 5 years, you have to pay 1 year, or maybe half, of that program's tuition (which is significantly less than MD), but honestly I don't know - so don't quote me on that.

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets? I interviewed early November and I would like to send an update but I'm not sure if it matters at this point. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets? I interviewed early November and I would like to send an update but I'm not sure if it matters at this point. Thanks!
+1, wondering this as well.

Just scrolling through previous posts, it sounds like ADCOMs meets once a month and most applicants are notified ~2 weeks after interviewing.

Where is information about the CSTP program? The closest thing I can find is the MD/MS in Biomedical Investigation - Clinical Research track, and it doesn't say anything about having to apply before acceptance or getting full tuition (though there is no tuition charge for the research year).
Apologies, I missed a consonant. It's CTSTP (Clinical and Translational Scientist Training Program). Here's some info
http://mstp.cwru.edu/Program/StudyCourse/CTSTP.asp
http://mstp.cwru.edu/Program/StudyCourse/MSTPGuidelines current.pdf

Keep an eye on the CaseMed twitter account.

I would wait for the initial decision before sending an update, especially since Case moves pretty quickly. You are unlikely to change their minds at this point regarding rejection vs accept/waitlist, but an update can prove useful after being waitlisted.

Got my rejection email today - 9 am on a sunday morning. I'm not even mad, that's some dedication right there.

for those of you that have interviewed, could you describe what the setting of the actual interview was like? e.g. was it across a table in an office? trying to mine some more details

for those of you that have interviewed, could you describe what the setting of the actual interview was like? e.g. was it across a table in an office? trying to mine some more details

HEP Interview: in an office across a table.

Student interview: in the cafeteria at a table. Very casual.

My student interviewer took me outside to sit on a bench because it was such a beautiful day. HEP interview was just sitting across from each other at a table, not a desk-y vibe

My HEP interviewer took me to her office and was behind her computer and I was on the side of her desk. When the interview was over, she showed me
nearby housing on Google maps and some nearby attractions.

The student interview was in a study room and super casual. He had a small list of questions and everything else was conversational.

Anyone else having issues logging into your portal?

Anyone else having issues logging into your portal?
I just checked and yes, I can't get into the portal.

Edit: nvm went back to complete status :arghh:

Last edited:
I know someone asked this earlier in the thread, but it wasn't answered yet! Anyone know anything about having a significant other attend second look? Any info would be appreciated!

I know someone asked this earlier in the thread, but it wasn't answered yet! Anyone know anything about having a significant other attend second look? Any info would be appreciated!

This isn't specific to Case but I believe that is very common. I've seen many SO at my interviews and Second Look is even more appropriate in my mind.

It's an in depth look at where you may be living for four years. Hell my mother keeps dropping hints that she wants to go (lol no).

Just got an II for the University Track! Didn't know they sent out invitations on Thanksgiving but it's definitely something else to be thankful for today :D

LizzyM mid 70s, OOS, complete late October

Does anyone know what the odds of being accepted are post-interview? I saw on their website that in 2014, there were 936 interviews and 173 matriculants, so is it safe to say that they sent out ~300 acceptances?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II for the University Track! Didn't know they sent out invitations on Thanksgiving but it's definitely something else to be thankful for today :D

LizzyM mid 70s, OOS, complete late October

Does anyone know what the odds of being accepted are post-interview? I saw on their website that in 2014, there were 936 interviews and 173 matriculants, so is it safe to say that they sent out ~300 acceptances?
According to US news, you have a 49% chance of acceptance post interview

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

> Hey guys, if it is raining, do you think I should I bring two pairs of shoes?
> Will there be a place to put the wet shoes before going to the interview?

> Hey guys, if it is raining, do you think I should I bring two pairs of shoes?
> Will there be a place to put the wet shoes before going to the interview?

There is a closet in the admissions office where you can put your items. If you're a woman (or guy... idk if there are man totes lol), you could put them in a large tote which is what I did.

They would likely also limit/eliminate your outside time if it's raining so it might not be an issue.

There is a closet in the admissions office where you can put your items. If you're a woman (or guy... idk if there are man totes lol), you could put them in a large tote which is what I did.

They would likely also limit/eliminate your outside time if it's raining so it might not be an issue.

Thanks for your reply! Did you end up finishing before 4 o clock?

Rejected! No email, just portal update! Complete Aug.! Lizzy M mid 70s!

Good luck to the rest of yall!!! :D

II for University Program a few days before thanksgiving! Complete like Oct 2 or something pretty late. The earliest interview date is january though

Have those accepted received login information to fill out financial aid applications?