2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected pre II
complete 8/10

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a closet in the admissions office where you can put your items. If you're a woman (or guy... idk if there are man totes lol), you could put them in a large tote which is what I did.

They would likely also limit/eliminate your outside time if it's raining so it might not be an issue.

On the tour there is a brief period that you may have to step outside.. It'll mostly be covered and maybe only like 10-30 secs not covered. There's a chance they may take you through a basement route instead if it's really horrible, but I, for one, might get lost, so I take students via the brief outside route.
Unless it's really bad snow/mud, I'd probably recommend you don't worry about a second pair of shoes.

EDIT: @brokenprinter

Members don't see this ad :)
On hold pre-II. don't know if there is much hope for an II around this time in the cycle, but at least it isn't a rejection? :xf:

On the website it says they receive and review applications through December 15th but they interview all the way through February. Does this mean were all axed if we haven't heard in the next 2 weeks?

On the website it says they receive and review applications through December 15th but they interview all the way through February. Does this mean were all axed if we haven't heard in the next 2 weeks?
It's possible they've reviewed all applications at least once by that date, but that an initial review doesn't preclude a later re-review. Last year I was axed in a late January rejection wave, FWIW.

I had mine a while ago, but just in case you are curious about interview day format:

8:15 arrive in admissions office, it is on the third floor (you'll have to check in with security first at the entrance). You will get a name tag, a folder with lots of info about the school inside, and a pen. There will be bagels and muffins plus coffee. You can hang your coat in a little closet, but space might be a bit tight for big bags try not to bring anything ridiculous lol umbrella might be necessary btw check weather. Your interview schedule (who you will meet and when) will be posted on the wall. Make sure to get parking ticket validated

8:30-09:25 you will be guided to an adjacent lecture hall and given two presentations, one about the different rotation sites, and the other about the school and its curriculum (time flies pretty quickly here). If you have any general questions this is a good place to ask

09:30-11:15 meet back in the admissions office and if your interview is scheduled for this time you will have one 45m interview with HEP (health edu professional). open file, except mcat score. When you have down time before/after interview someone will guide you to the IQ discussion groups (2nd year) which is pretty cool

11:20-11:45 meeting with admissions administrator in a casual 'go around the circle and introduce yourself' session

11:45-12:05 you will be guided to conference room and given a financial info session, apparently case also has loans provided by the school (interest deferred during residency)

12:05-13:00 in the same conference room you'll have lunch with med student, boxes with turkey sandwiches provided (ask for vegetarian in advance if you cant eat meat)

13:00-14:00 students will take you on a tour of the facilities, including the adjacent university hospital. It was raining a bit but the outdoor portion of tour is very limited (ie just walking across to the next building)

14:00-15:30 student interview (only access to activities, personal statement, and your undergrad institution). you'll also have your HEP interview here if you havent already. You should be out before 16:00. All in all a very informative and fun interview day, best of luck to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Will people laugh at me if I wear a full size parka into the office... Californian here :D

Will people laugh at me if I wear a full size parka into the office... Californian here :D
I go to Case for undergrad and lots of people have been wearing their parkas/ longer puffy coats the past few days don't worry :)

Reactions: 1 user

they are used to it lol apparently 20% class is from ohio, 20% from california or something like that

Last edited:
Rejected today via portal. No email yet. Complete mid July. Good luck to those still in the running, and congrats to those accepted!

/tears

For those of you who have been accepted, did anyone not send a thank you letter/email to your faculty interviewer? I just read an article from 2014 from a doctor who is affiliated with Case Western and it says that all thank-you letters are kept in the students file and considered as part of their application. I really hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by not sending a thank you. (Waitlisted post-interview)

For those of you who have been accepted, did anyone not send a thank you letter/email to your faculty interviewer? I just read an article from 2014 from a doctor who is affiliated with Case Western and it says that all thank-you letters are kept in the students file and considered as part of their application. I really hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by not sending a thank you. (Waitlisted post-interview)
There is no way they make you spend hundreds of dollar and an entire to day just to offer admission solely or mainly based on sending a thank you letter..

Members don't see this ad :)

I did, and my interviewer sent me back a nice response which was cool. It's just a nice gesture. At best, it helps marginally.

Was anyone told how long case will take to render a decision post interview?

Post interview rejection a bit back; thought my interviews had gone really well.. Had connected with both interviewers on some really personal stuff, meh, it is what it is. You win some, you lose some. Good luck to everyone!
LizzyM> 74
Nontrad, EC heavy

Post interview rejection a bit back; thought my interviews had gone really well.. Had connected with both interviewers on some really personal stuff, meh, it is what it is. You win some, you lose some. Good luck to everyone!
LizzyM> 74
Nontrad, EC heavy

your stats seem pretty good, did you have clinical experience?

your stats seem pretty good, did you have clinical experience?

I did have clinical experience, yes. I've had 10+ II so I doubt my app was the big issue (hopefully). And I've thankfully netted other acceptances but still a bit puzzled, not that I feel entitled to an acceptance in any way whatsoever (I apologize if I came off that way in any way), but it's natural to wonder, you know?

I did have clinical experience, yes. I've had 10+ II so I doubt my app was the big issue (hopefully). And I've thankfully netted other acceptances but still a bit puzzled, not that I feel entitled to an acceptance in any way whatsoever (I apologize if I came off that way in any way), but it's natural to wonder, you know?

yeah that does seem pretty bizarre

Last edited:
Does anyone have intel (or hearsay that I can cling to) about when the next batch of decisions will come out? I'd like to think soon!

yeah that does seem pretty bizarre, i only ask cause i have the same LizzyM and am waiting to hear back from them lol why are you giving me anxiety

Don't worry! I'm just n=1. I also come from a state that has a ton of in state schools; my research, though somewhat extensive, wasn't clinical. Perhaps I had the numbers to pique their interests, but maybe they sensed that I didn't fit quite well with the mission. I mean, who knows? Or maybe I didn't do as well on my interview as I thought I had. Could be anything. I wouldn't worry though. If you were interviewed by Case and you have good numbers, I'm sure you're waiting on elsewhere as well.

Does anyone have intel (or hearsay that I can cling to) about when the next batch of decisions will come out? I'd like to think soon!

are you from november? you should look at last year's posts i think they had one in mid december
if you are from last week then i think you have to wait till jan 15th or something

Last edited:
are you from november? you should look at last year's posts i think they had one in mid december
if you are from last week then i think we have to wait till jan 15th or something
Indeed, from November; hopefully this year mirrors previous years.

Don't worry! I'm just n=1. I also come from a state that has a ton of in state schools; my research, though somewhat extensive, wasn't clinical. Perhaps I had the numbers to pique their interests, but maybe they sensed that I didn't fit quite well with the mission. I mean, who knows? Or maybe I didn't do as well on my interview as I thought I had. Could be anything. I wouldn't worry though. If you were interviewed by Case and you have good numbers, I'm sure you're waiting on elsewhere as well.

I also come from a state with a ton of in state schools and my research was all basic science, and they seemed to love it. Maybe it was a fit issue and we tend to not really know how to gauge our performance (I know I am often incorrect). Hmm... did you reach out for feedback?

For those who say they're "on hold," is that what the status says? I've been complete since Aug something...and it still just says "complete"

No you haven't. :)

Interview invite, received 11/23

I also come from a state with a ton of in state schools and my research was all basic science, and they seemed to love it. Maybe it was a fit issue and we tend to not really know how to gauge our performance (I know I am often incorrect). Hmm... did you reach out for feedback?

I did not. I would have (and probably should have and still can), but after I got my first acceptance, I think I just came to terms with it by simplifying it to "you win some, you lose some"

Looking through last years thread, it seems like any early-mid November interviewees should hear back in the next week or two! Interviewed 11/16, can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-II rejection. Ouch. Completed the end of July, never been on hold.

Pre-II rejection to the university program, portal only. Complete early August.

M1 here -- if anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer.

II just now but will probably be withdrawing. (it's late in the season and my money stores are low) Hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 2 users
Email from CWRU:yawn:.......CAA program+pissed+

At least it was not a rejection.

Offered an interview a few days ago. Ohio native, but go to UG OOS. Will be home for the holidays, but case didn't offer any interview dates until Feb. You guys think it's worth calling them to ask if they can make an "in the area" accommodation. I figure I have nothing to lose, right?

Offered an interview a few days ago. Ohio native, but go to UG OOS. Will be home for the holidays, but case didn't offer any interview dates until Feb. You guys think it's worth calling them to ask if they can make an "in the area" accommodation. I figure I have nothing to lose, right?

I think that's definitely reasonable considering you were offered an II. If anything, I bet they can put you on a standby list and call you if anybody cancels.

When were you complete?

Just an update. Case is not doing interviews from 12/19-1/4 due to being off for the holidays. I was able to get on the standby list for 1/4-1/14 interview days, so if anyone is lined up to interview on those dates, feel free to cancel.

how long does it usually take to hear back after an interview? I thought they said three weeks but I can't remember

how long does it usually take to hear back after an interview? I thought they said three weeks but I can't remember

According to their website, you hear back 2-3 weeks after the committee meets. Going off of last year's thread, they seem to meet once a month usually sometime in the first week. It seems that this month's meeting has been delayed (or just not posted on the med admissions FB/twitter).

Looking back at last year's thread, I believe this is the week to hear back from them for those who interviewed early to mid November.

Reactions: 1 users