1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2017)' started by WedgeDawg, Apr 30, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. takemepls

takemepls

Jun 14, 2016
    Whats the best option for staying in Cleveland for a night before the interview?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Physician
    Airbnb

Large dogs

4. 1FireAtATime

1FireAtATime

May 25, 2016
    I had a student host and it was a great experience. I recommend that if possible

5. takemepls

takemepls

Jun 14, 2016
    How did you arrange that? Just emailed the admissions office? Thanks!

6. takemepls

takemepls

Jun 14, 2016
    lol jokes...im dumb. i found the option

1FireAtATime likes this.
  7. Titus Andromedon

Titus Andromedon

May 22, 2016
    Does anyone have an idea of how many people total are placed on the alternate list?

ml200201 likes this.
  8. entertainment720

entertainment720 2+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Any idea when those of us who interviewed in December will hear back? Thanks!

9. Fortyfive

Fortyfive 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2015
    I have never been to Cleveland before and I don't know anyone that lives in/near Cleveland. Its a part of the country that I have heard nothing about. I am from the east-coast tri-state area and I am trying to put together a picture of what to expect from my visit to Cleveland. Can anyone think of a location on the east-coast that resembles Cleveland in terms of the culture, people, environment, life-style , etc?

Thanks! :)

10. Gurby

Gurby 2+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Reminded me of Pittsburgh. My student tour guide said it felt very similar to Baltimore to her, where she did undergrad.

supernervouspremed and Fortyfive like this.
  11. Fortyfive

Fortyfive 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Thanks!!

I have never been to Pittsburg but am very familiar with Baltimore :)

supernervouspremed likes this.
  12. supernervouspremed

supernervouspremed

Oct 20, 2016
    I am also familiar with Baltimore and interviewed at the college program at Case and I totally agree that Cleveland has a similar feel. Some areas are a bit iffy but there's really nice and fun pockets all around the city

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

sleepyhead22 and Fortyfive like this.
  13. OBHopeful24

OBHopeful24

Aug 30, 2016
    Don't they release decisions on the 15th of every month?

14. liquidsodium

liquidsodium

Jul 18, 2016
    I received my decision on a 5th

15. flipflop52

flipflop52 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Hi all, for anyone waitlisted or who has previously been waitlisted, do you recommend writing to the committee to provide updates? How much does his realistically impact movement on the waitlist?

16. bearintraining

bearintraining 5+ Year Member

May 20, 2011
    OH
    From what I've been told by classmates and admissions is that they do care about hearing from waitlisted applicants. So feel free to let them know how much, and why, you like Case. I know of one friend in particular that frequently communicated with the admissions office (I'm not saying this is necessarily the right thing to do -- I personally wouldn't write, just to write something), and was ultimately accepted months later. The office is pretty responsive to students, so definitely let them know if you have updates, etc.

17. PeruvianMD

PeruvianMD 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2013
    just a heads up for any future international applicant. the university program will stop accepting int'l students starting next cycle :/

Gurby likes this.
  18. ToodleLoo22

ToodleLoo22

Jul 30, 2016
    There is no place like Cleveland- combination industrial, New England, wealthy suburbia and inner city. Great mix and don't knock it til you try it.

19. Fortyfive

Fortyfive 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Thank you! :D

Unfortunately, I realized that I didn't have enough funds to travel to Case because I spent way too much $$ on other interview trips :/ Therefore, I had to withdraw my application. I hope someone else got to take my spot and enjoy the beautiful city of Cleveland. :)

20. HelloWorld822

HelloWorld822

Dec 14, 2016
    Really surprised December applicants didn't hear today. I interviewed in early of December and was told I would hear back within a month. Oh well haha

21. supernervouspremed

supernervouspremed

Oct 20, 2016
    With the holidays and everything, they're probably taking a bit longer to get back to December/January applicants. I hope you hear soon!

22. sassy_tachy

sassy_tachy

Oct 17, 2016
    Has anyone been able to access the regular financial aid application through iApply? I got an email about entering my SSN and it's been >72 hours and nothing happened

23. sorcerer365

sorcerer365

Jul 6, 2016
    What has the turnover rate on admissions decisions been like? If I interviewed early-mid January when should I hear back?

cavs007 and 1FireAtATime like this.
  24. OBHopeful24

OBHopeful24

Aug 30, 2016
    Omg...accepted thus morning via email

25. DonGately

DonGately 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Congrats!! Mind sharing your interview date?

26. ava_soleil

ava_soleil

Sep 6, 2016
    Also accepted via email. Checked my email (med school anxiety 24/7) as soon as I woke up, and was so tired I skipped the congratulatory headline in the email and went straight to the portal. Minutes later.... Burst into tears!!!!! I loved case so much, so thrilled.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  27. DonGately

DonGately 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Congrats!! Mind sharing your interview date?

28. ava_soleil

ava_soleil

Sep 6, 2016
    Dec 12!

DonGately likes this.
  29. intellectualedema

intellectualedema

Aug 10, 2015
    Accepted this morning too, my first! Still hasn't really set in yet... still shaking tbh...
    mid-December interview

I'm not crying, you're crying

30. ava_soleil

ava_soleil

Sep 6, 2016
    I keep checking my email for an "oops - sorry, we made a mistake and that wasn't meant for you" email

intellectualedema and Gurby like this.
  31. HelloWorld822

HelloWorld822

Dec 14, 2016
    Accepted this morning with option to apply for a merit based scholarship. So, so happy right now. Loved my time at Case, would accept the offer in a heart beat if it wasn't such an expensive school!

32. ava_soleil

ava_soleil

Sep 6, 2016
    Did your portal reflect your acceptance? For some reason mine doesn't, nor does it have the official letter!

33. HelloWorld822

HelloWorld822

Dec 14, 2016
    No, mine doesn't yet. It has an update about scholarship info, but that's it. Fingers crossed this is real haha.

34. hunter111

hunter111

Jan 25, 2017
    I interviewed on December 9th and still waiting to hear back... Anyone else in my boat?

35. UnpaidLaborer

UnpaidLaborer

Jan 25, 2017
    I'm in a neighboring boat--interviewed a couple days later than you.

36. Docjay24

Docjay24

Aug 4, 2015
    I received an email about my acceptance this morning (so stoked), but my portal hasn't updated nor is there any information about scholarship... Anyone else in the same boat?

37. OBHopeful24

OBHopeful24

Aug 30, 2016
    I interviewed mid December, was accepted today and have a merit scholarship letter and the email but no official acceptance :)

Gurby likes this.
  38. TossMania

TossMania

Jul 7, 2016
    MDApps:
    People who expected to hear back today (i.e. interviewed in December), check your portals!

No email, but my status message updated to show that I've been placed on the alternate list. Will be withdrawing this one, so best of luck to others!

39. Gurby

Gurby 2+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Alternate list via portal update, interviewed early January. Kind of shocked by this - I thought my interviews went extremely well here, and they have nearly 50% post-II acceptance? My faculty interviewer said I would get lots of acceptances but he hoped I would come to Case. Then again, I guess I've heard that from a lot of interviewers so who knows if it's genuine or not. Maybe "I'm sure you'll get many acceptances" is AdCom code for "I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else".

Almost didn't attend this interview but ended up liking the school and Cleveland more than I thought I would. Ah well.

sleepyhead22 likes this.
  40. carrots28

carrots28 2+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2014
    New York
    Thank you SDN! Your comments led me to check my portal this morning and lo and behold and acceptance was sitting there. No status update email until 9 AM. Interviewed second week of January.

kegar99 and Gurby like this.
  41. sorcerer365

sorcerer365

Jul 6, 2016
    Does this school typically have a lot of alternate movement?

42. 1FireAtATime

1FireAtATime

May 25, 2016
    Just got rejected post II... that sucks...

Gurby likes this.
  43. gizmoo

gizmoo 2+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Accepted via email this morning! I interviewed in early January

Gurby likes this.
  44. +1, wondering the same thing?

cali90992 likes this.
  45. 30000Feet

30000Feet

Jan 26, 2017
    I was reading about the WR2 curriculum and was interested in getting current students thoughts. I was sort of confused by all the different types of assessments (ie formative/summative)? Are the only graded assessments at the end of each block? If so, what has been your experience going several weeks without an assessment?

46. alcoholdehydrogenase69

alcoholdehydrogenase69 Not a doctor

Jul 16, 2016
    I'm not a current student, but I believe the formative assessments are through PBL and are informal ways of being assessed so that you can monitor your own progress. Summative assessments are things like exams, which I believe are at the end of each block. If I remember correctly, you get a grade for the summative assessments but its only used as a way to assess yourself since the pre-clinical years are P/F. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

47. Trident14

Trident14 2+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2015
    PNWWWWWW
    Accepted by Email yesterday, interviewed on 12/12/16.

48. _Nightlight_

_Nightlight_

Jan 14, 2016
    First acceptance a few days ago! Interviewed in January. Brb not being the lord of the waitlist anymore!

protego and Karabo like this.
  49. Krita

Krita 2+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Accepted yesterday 1/26, interviewed 1/6. Do they get in touch with us about merit scholarships via email, snail mail, or portal? Or if you don't hear anything, you're not being offered anything...

50. Barry'sAneurysm

Barry'sAneurysm SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Oct 13, 2015
    MCA
    I think if you have something significant/meaningful that you want them to know, then I think that it is good to convey that information to them. Nobody can say for sure how much influence it has. The admissions people are busy enough as is, so don't overload them with emails. :)

51. kegar99

kegar99

Jun 4, 2016
    Does anyone know/remember if attendance is mandatory here? I feel like I remember them saying that you for sure had to be there for the small group, problem based learning stuff, which makes sense, but I can't remember if they require students to attend lecture. @bearintraining or any other current students that could perhaps answer this?