2016-2017 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats the best option for staying in Cleveland for a night before the interview?
I had a student host and it was a great experience. I recommend that if possible

Members don't see this ad.

lol jokes...im dumb. i found the option

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea of how many people total are placed on the alternate list?

I have never been to Cleveland before and I don't know anyone that lives in/near Cleveland. Its a part of the country that I have heard nothing about. I am from the east-coast tri-state area and I am trying to put together a picture of what to expect from my visit to Cleveland. Can anyone think of a location on the east-coast that resembles Cleveland in terms of the culture, people, environment, life-style , etc?

Thanks! :)

I have never been to Cleveland before and I don't know anyone that lives in/near Cleveland. Its a part of the country that I have heard nothing about. I am from the east-coast tri-state area and I am trying to put together a picture of what to expect from my visit to Cleveland. Can anyone think of a location on the east-coast that resembles Cleveland in terms of the culture, people, environment, life-style , etc?

Reminded me of Pittsburgh. My student tour guide said it felt very similar to Baltimore to her, where she did undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
Reminded me of Pittsburgh. My student tour guide said it felt very similar to Baltimore to her, where she did undergrad.

Thanks!!

I have never been to Pittsburg but am very familiar with Baltimore :)

Thanks!!

I have never been to Pittsburg but am very familiar with Baltimore :)

I am also familiar with Baltimore and interviewed at the college program at Case and I totally agree that Cleveland has a similar feel. Some areas are a bit iffy but there's really nice and fun pockets all around the city

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't they release decisions on the 15th of every month?

Hi all, for anyone waitlisted or who has previously been waitlisted, do you recommend writing to the committee to provide updates? How much does his realistically impact movement on the waitlist?

Hi all, for anyone waitlisted or who has previously been waitlisted, do you recommend writing to the committee to provide updates? How much does his realistically impact movement on the waitlist?

From what I've been told by classmates and admissions is that they do care about hearing from waitlisted applicants. So feel free to let them know how much, and why, you like Case. I know of one friend in particular that frequently communicated with the admissions office (I'm not saying this is necessarily the right thing to do -- I personally wouldn't write, just to write something), and was ultimately accepted months later. The office is pretty responsive to students, so definitely let them know if you have updates, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
just a heads up for any future international applicant. the university program will stop accepting int'l students starting next cycle :/

There is no place like Cleveland- combination industrial, New England, wealthy suburbia and inner city. Great mix and don't knock it til you try it.

There is no place like Cleveland- combination industrial, New England, wealthy suburbia and inner city. Great mix and don't knock it til you try it.

Thank you! :D

Unfortunately, I realized that I didn't have enough funds to travel to Case because I spent way too much $$ on other interview trips :/ Therefore, I had to withdraw my application. I hope someone else got to take my spot and enjoy the beautiful city of Cleveland. :)

Really surprised December applicants didn't hear today. I interviewed in early of December and was told I would hear back within a month. Oh well haha

Really surprised December applicants didn't hear today. I interviewed in early of December and was told I would hear back within a month. Oh well haha

With the holidays and everything, they're probably taking a bit longer to get back to December/January applicants. I hope you hear soon!

Has anyone been able to access the regular financial aid application through iApply? I got an email about entering my SSN and it's been >72 hours and nothing happened

What has the turnover rate on admissions decisions been like? If I interviewed early-mid January when should I hear back?

Omg...accepted thus morning via email

Reactions: 2 users
Also accepted via email. Checked my email (med school anxiety 24/7) as soon as I woke up, and was so tired I skipped the congratulatory headline in the email and went straight to the portal. Minutes later.... Burst into tears!!!!! I loved case so much, so thrilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Also accepted via email. Checked my email (med school anxiety 24/7 as soon as I woke up), and was so tired I skipped the congratulatory headline in the email and went straight to the portal. Minutes later.... Burst into tears!!!!! I loved case so much, so thrilled.
Congrats!! Mind sharing your interview date?

Accepted this morning too, my first! Still hasn't really set in yet... still shaking tbh...
mid-December interview

I'm not crying, you're crying

Reactions: 2 users
I keep checking my email for an "oops - sorry, we made a mistake and that wasn't meant for you" email

Accepted this morning with option to apply for a merit based scholarship. So, so happy right now. Loved my time at Case, would accept the offer in a heart beat if it wasn't such an expensive school!

Accepted this morning with option to apply for a merit based scholarship. So, so happy right now. Loved my time at Case, would accept the offer in a heart beat if it wasn't such an expensive school!

Did your portal reflect your acceptance? For some reason mine doesn't, nor does it have the official letter!

Did your portal reflect your acceptance? For some reason mine doesn't, nor does it have the official letter!
No, mine doesn't yet. It has an update about scholarship info, but that's it. Fingers crossed this is real haha.

I interviewed on December 9th and still waiting to hear back... Anyone else in my boat?

I received an email about my acceptance this morning (so stoked), but my portal hasn't updated nor is there any information about scholarship... Anyone else in the same boat?

I interviewed mid December, was accepted today and have a merit scholarship letter and the email but no official acceptance :)

People who expected to hear back today (i.e. interviewed in December), check your portals!

No email, but my status message updated to show that I've been placed on the alternate list. Will be withdrawing this one, so best of luck to others!

Alternate list via portal update, interviewed early January. Kind of shocked by this - I thought my interviews went extremely well here, and they have nearly 50% post-II acceptance? My faculty interviewer said I would get lots of acceptances but he hoped I would come to Case. Then again, I guess I've heard that from a lot of interviewers so who knows if it's genuine or not. Maybe "I'm sure you'll get many acceptances" is AdCom code for "I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else".

Almost didn't attend this interview but ended up liking the school and Cleveland more than I thought I would. Ah well.

Thank you SDN! Your comments led me to check my portal this morning and lo and behold and acceptance was sitting there. No status update email until 9 AM. Interviewed second week of January.

Just got rejected post II... that sucks...

Accepted via email this morning! I interviewed in early January

I was reading about the WR2 curriculum and was interested in getting current students thoughts. I was sort of confused by all the different types of assessments (ie formative/summative)? Are the only graded assessments at the end of each block? If so, what has been your experience going several weeks without an assessment?

I was reading about the WR2 curriculum and was interested in getting current students thoughts. I was sort of confused by all the different types of assessments (ie formative/summative)? Are the only graded assessments at the end of each block? If so, what has been your experience going several weeks without an assessment?
I'm not a current student, but I believe the formative assessments are through PBL and are informal ways of being assessed so that you can monitor your own progress. Summative assessments are things like exams, which I believe are at the end of each block. If I remember correctly, you get a grade for the summative assessments but its only used as a way to assess yourself since the pre-clinical years are P/F. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Accepted by Email yesterday, interviewed on 12/12/16.

First acceptance a few days ago! Interviewed in January. Brb not being the lord of the waitlist anymore!

Accepted yesterday 1/26, interviewed 1/6. Do they get in touch with us about merit scholarships via email, snail mail, or portal? Or if you don't hear anything, you're not being offered anything...

I think if you have something significant/meaningful that you want them to know, then I think that it is good to convey that information to them. Nobody can say for sure how much influence it has. The admissions people are busy enough as is, so don't overload them with emails. :)

Does anyone know/remember if attendance is mandatory here? I feel like I remember them saying that you for sure had to be there for the small group, problem based learning stuff, which makes sense, but I can't remember if they require students to attend lecture. @bearintraining or any other current students that could perhaps answer this?

Does anyone know/remember if attendance is mandatory here? I feel like I remember them saying that you for sure had to be there for the small group, problem based learning stuff, which makes sense, but I can't remember if they require students to attend lecture. @bearintraining or any other current students that could perhaps answer this?
I remember they said lectures are not mandatory but they don't record them so you have to go to take notes.

Lecture is not mandatory. Thursday lectures (usually gross anatomy and radiology) are recorded however, as are most lectures that occur after 12noon (which is pretty rare). I have classmates that have essentially never gone to lecture and do fine. I go everyday except for Thursday.