2016-2017 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone not yet received an II? Hope they still have interview spots available

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't either. Stats above the school's average.

From Georgia State tho... so there's that..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm well above their averages too and not at state, so it probably isn't that

Idk if being from GSU matters too much. I looked at the list of where GSU premeds got into last year and I think around 15 GSU kids ended up going to MCG.

Idk if being from GSU matters too much. I looked at the list of where GSU premeds got into last year and I think around 15 GSU kids ended up going to MCG.

I agree. Looking at the list of where people have graduated from to go on to MCG in previous years, so long as one is an IS applicant and graduated from or is attending a university (as opposed to smaller state or private 2- or 4-year college), one should have the same shot as an applicant from UGA or GT.

I agree. Looking at the list of where people have graduated from to go on to MCG in previous years, so long as one is an IS applicant and graduated from or is attending a university (as opposed to smaller state or private 2- or 4-year college), one should have the same shot as an applicant from UGA or GT.

How about Emory??

Would a pre letter of interest help or encourage an ii?

As in would Emory potentially weigh an applicant by the "prestige" of his/her undergraduate institution?

I'm positive Emory does. I don't have anything but experience with Emory Med to back that up though

As in would Emory potentially weigh an applicant by the "prestige" of his/her undergraduate institution?
No! You just mentioned GT and UGA, so I was curious whether Emory would get the same treatment per say. I don't even know why I asked since I didnt even go to Emory haha.

Unfortunately, I doubt it would. The essay portion of the Secondary is pretty much a four-part letter of interest that everyone is requited to write by design.

I'm positive Emory does. I don't have anything but experience with Emory Med to back that up though

I would agree. Even if such a practice is "officially" denied, I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't happen anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
No! You just mentioned GT and UGA, so I was curious whether Emory would get the same treatment per say. I don't even know why I asked since I didnt even go to Emory haha.

I assume it would. It seems unlikely that an Emory undergrad could be viewed as in any way unfavorable. I only mentioned UGA and GT because students from these two schools generally end up comprising a large portion (~80%) of each Class year at MCG.

I would agree. Even if such a practice is "officially" denied, I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't happen anyway.

Miami allocates 0 - 5 points for undergraduate school on their rubric for assessing applicants

Reactions: 1 users

I agree with Stu, I don't think it would necessarily encourage an II. You could try to send them an update letter if you have something new to talk about like a publication, a new job, etc. But remember it has to be something worthwhile, or it could potentially give off negative vibes.

Plus, don't give up hope. I strongly believe that MCG is not even close to being done with filling up their class. Some current students at MCG that I got to talk to told me that they interviewed super late like in February or something like that, and they are not even what I would call 'average' students-- one of them interviewed at Yale med and Emory med as a matter of fact. So don't sweat it, it will come

How about Emory??

I did my undergrad at the University of North Georgia in Dahlonega, though I completed ALL of my pre-requisites expect for Physics I & II at a smaller school (Dalton State College) from which I transferred. This never came up during either of my interviews at MCG and absolutely no one seemed to care whatsoever. So I can personally attest that MCG does not seem to be overly worried with where one did undergrad, so long as one has good stats and is an IS applicant.

*Note: I was an EDP applicant (non-Rural Medicine track), so that might have made things different, though I obviously can't say for sure.

You're not alone! Interviewed September with 512/3.9 and haven't heard anything since.

Similar. 512/3.75 200 clinical hours, interviewed end of September. But I didn't really hit it off with either of my interviewers so I've been doing nothing but stress over that for the last 2 months...

I agree with Stu, I don't think it would necessarily encourage an II. You could try to send them an update letter if you have something new to talk about like a publication, a new job, etc. But remember it has to be something worthwhile, or it could potentially give off negative vibes.

Plus, don't give up hope. I strongly believe that MCG is not even close to being done with filling up their class. Some current students at MCG that I got to talk to told me that they interviewed super late like in February or something like that, and they are not even what I would call 'average' students-- one of them interviewed at Yale med and Emory med as a matter of fact. So don't sweat it, it will come
Thank you!! I'm praying

I agree!

I have two friends who are in their first year at MCG, and they have BOTH told me on multiple occasions that a lot of their class interviewed at the beginning of the year (aka January, February and March). On top of that, I think MCG is behind this cycle due to their president quitting and having to find a new interim. I would not freak out about II unless you don't hear back by February. I know it is hard though! I have been complete since July 18th and have not heard back yet with good stats, a 4.0 gpa and extracurricular activities. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I agree!

I have two friends who are in their first year at MCG, and they have BOTH told me on multiple occasions that a lot of their class interviewed at the beginning of the year (aka January, February and March). On top of that, I think MCG is behind this cycle due to their president quitting and having to find a new interim. I would not freak out about II unless you don't hear back by February. I know it is hard though! I have been complete since July 18th and have not heard back yet with good stats, a 4.0 gpa and extracurricular activities. Fingers crossed for everyone!

I have a friend who was complete to mcg beg. Of October and got interviewed first week of November. Good stats. I called mcg and they said they are interviewing up until February.

Last edited:
lol mcg has been "running behind" every year in recent memory

Since they sent out a few acceptances on 12/02, do y'all think they are done for December or should we hope for some news tomorrow?

Congratulations! What were the available dates for your II, if you don't mind me asking?

My interview is scheduled for the 4th of January. That appears to be the last day they are doing interviews at the Augusta campus (atleast for January and February). I don't remember exactly, but I believe they had around 2 more interview days in January at the Athens campus and 3-4 interview days left in February also for the Athens campus. I honestly don't remember if I looked at March but if I did, then they had no interviews up for then.

They gave me the choice of the Athens or Augusta campus, but the catch to interviewing at the Athens campus is that they said you HAVE to schedule a seperate tour for the Augusta campus on another day. Until you schedule and actually take the tour, your file wont be looked at for review. I have a hard time getting time off from work as is, so I chose to interview on the 4th of January, even though its considerably closer.

My interview is scheduled for the 4th of January. That appears to be the last day they are doing interviews at the Augusta campus (atleast for January and February). I don't remember exactly, but I believe they had around 2 more interview days in January at the Athens campus and 3-4 interview days left in February also for the Athens campus. I honestly don't remember if I looked at March but if I did, then they had no interviews up for then.

They gave me the choice of the Athens or Augusta campus, but the catch to interviewing at the Athens campus is that they said you HAVE to schedule a seperate tour for the Augusta campus on another day. Until you schedule and actually take the tour, your file wont be looked at for review. I have a hard time getting time off from work as is, so I chose to interview on the 4th of January, even though its considerably closer.

Well, congrats to you! You will love interviewing and touring at the Augusta campus — it's nothing short of spectacular. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted early morning today! For those neurotic pred med like me, it was at 8:54 am.
Interviewed 11/1, not the craziest turnaround but I think for MCG, I got pretty lucky!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted early morning today! For those neurotic pred med like me, it was at 8:54 am.
Interviewed 11/1, not the craziest turnaround but I think for MCG, I got pretty lucky!
Congratulations! Stats?

Should I assume I'm not getting in at this point? I interviewed in September....

Should I assume I'm not getting in at this point? I interviewed in September....

Same boat here, but I don't think we should assume that at all! Some people don't hear back for several months. Many others get in from the waitlist.

Accepted, got a phone call and an email this morning, interviewed mid to early Nov. IS. LizzyM unknown. Does anyone know when we will find out our campus assignment?

Accepted, got a phone call and an email this morning, interviewed mid to early Nov. IS. LizzyM unknown. Does anyone know when we will find out our campus assignment?

The email only said "prior to matriculation" or something along those lines, so I don't think anyone had any idea, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh my god, this school is amazing guys!
They just called me to congratulate me on my acceptance! I don't know if they call everyone, but still I thought that was so sweet.
Definitely at the top of my list!!

forgot to put my campus preference for about a month after interviewing, will this affect me or make my file not be decided on until much later than others who interviewed when I did?

Oh my god, this school is amazing guys!
They just called me to congratulate me on my acceptance! I don't know if they call everyone, but still I thought that was so sweet.
Definitely at the top of my list!!
Congratulations! Stats? When did you interview?

In the past two years, they have not accepted anything past Dec 1st so it is unlikely that it would help at this point. :(

Definitely don't give up just yet! I interviewed in September last year and wasn't accepted until May.

Has anyone heard anything from Certiphi yet for the background check?

Has anyone heard anything from Certiphi yet for the background check?

Yes, mine was cleared within a few days after submission, though I was contacted by them before this to provide specific information regarding two traffic tickets I had received.

Yes, mine was cleared within a few days after submission, though I was contacted by them before this to provide specific information regarding two traffic tickets I had received.

You mean they contacted you after you submitted your application? or after you were accepted?

You mean they contacted you after you submitted your application? or after you were accepted?

After I was accepted. MCG does not request that a background check be performed until after an applicant has been accepted. About a week after I was accepted, I received an email from Certiphi instructing me to make an account and submit my information, as the the AAMC had received a request from MCG for me to complete a background check. (I was EDP and accepted in mid-September, so the timeline I experienced may differ from what may be the case this time of year.)

whats the min. MCAT needed to be invited for an interview?