2016-2017 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete 8/18 and haven't heard anything either. A lot of people I know who submitted around the same time are still waiting as well. I'm not really sure what's going on, but you're not alone LOL
Why are the OSU students getting hung out to dry? I was hoping OSU would be more interested..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Why are the OSU students getting hung out to dry? I was hoping OSU would be more interested..
OSU students tend to interview at/attend Cincinnati while Cincinnati students tend to interview at/attend OSU. I don't know why it's a weird trend. OSU doesn't seem to want OSU students.

OSU students tend to interview at/attend Cincinnati while Cincinnati students tend to interview at/attend OSU. I don't know why it's a weird trend. OSU doesn't seem to want OSU students.
But if you look at the past year's data, 25% of the matriculating class was made up of previous OSU undergrads. That's about 48 students. I assume even more were accepted since that's just the number matriculating. Maybe I just don't have a very desirable app for OSU. It's a shame because OSU is probably one of my top 3 choices.

Who knows tho? Maybe they interview us a bit later in general or want OOS students to interview first.

This process is wearing me out haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But if you look at the past year's data, 25% of the matriculating class was made up of previous OSU undergrads. That's about 48 students. I assume even more were accepted since that's just the number matriculating. Maybe I just don't have a very desirable app for OSU. It's a shame because OSU is probably one of my top 3 choices.

Who knows tho? Maybe they interview us a bit later in general or want OOS students to interview first.

This process is wearing me out haha.
I think the general consensus among midwest/NE schools to interview OOS applicants first so they don't have to deal with snow/cancelling interviews etc. but I do not know if OSU is doing that

Does OSU take updates? If so where do they accept them? I had an abstract recently accepted for presentation that I would like to share

Reactions: 1 user
Does OSU take updates? If so where do they accept them? I had an abstract recently accepted for presentation that I would like to share

From their website:

Updates, such as publications, grades, internships, shadowing experiences, etc., will be accepted but only in electronic format (i.e., email with an attachment), as this is the most efficient way to connect your updates with your file. Updates should be submitted to [email protected].

Anyone know if another round of acceptances will be made tonight?

I was complete 8/18 and haven't heard anything either. A lot of people I know who submitted around the same time are still waiting as well. I'm not really sure what's going on, but you're not alone LOL
Completed around the same time and nothing yet as well. Are you both OSU grads?

Would that also make tomorrow morning the first time those previously deferred would be up for reconsideration? It seems that the two-week cycle started on Oct. 24th rather than the 17th, but it was rather unclear on how they actually determine when deferred students are reviewed.

For those of you wondering if acceptances would go out by phone tonight, the answer is yes! Accepted! (OOS, LizzyM ~73)

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted I couldn't be happier!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on the deferred list move to accepted?

Did anyone recieve II's recently from here?

Reactions: 3 users
To be quite frank, I am not sure how I didn't get rejected from here lol LM ~65

Completed 7/12, still waiting for any update

II today, OOS LizzyM 72-73, complete in mid July. It came in as an email about a status change on the portal, and once I logged in they had an interview scheduled for 11/30. Leaning towards withdrawing my app. I got into a similar school which is close to home
(as a side note, I thought I blew my chance on the secondary when they were very clear about typing it out in Notepad and pasting, which I did not do, leaving funky symbols in my submitted secondary - so if this happened to you, it's not a deal breaker!)

II today! Also complete mid-July, interviewing 12/12!
Stats: OOS, ORM, 3.68/516

Last edited:
II today, OOS LizzyM 72-73, complete in mid July. It came in as an email about a status change on the portal, and once I logged in they had an interview scheduled for 11/30. Leaning towards withdrawing my app. I got into a similar school which is close to home
(as a side note, I thought I blew my chance on the secondary when they were very clear about typing it out in Notepad and pasting, which I did not do, leaving funky symbols in my submitted secondary - so if this happened to you, it's not a deal breaker!)

+1, also withdrew today - got into a different school that I liked. Good luck all!

I've heard that this school somehow charges you 5 years of tuition rather than 4. Can anyone explain this to me??

I've heard that this school somehow charges you 5 years of tuition rather than 4. Can anyone explain this to me??
I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but maybe you're referencing the fact that OOS students can establish Ohio residency after a year, and start paying IS tuition as an M2. With IS tuition being 30k and OOS tuition being 50k, the overall cost of OOS attendance would be almost equivalent to 5 years of IS tuition. I can't see how this could be pitched as a negative thing though, seeing as how establishing residency saves 60k for OOS students!

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but maybe you're referencing the fact that OOS students can establish Ohio residency after a year, and start paying IS tuition as an M2. With IS tuition being 30k and OOS tuition being 50k, the overall cost of OOS attendance would be almost equivalent to 5 years of IS tuition. I can't see how this could be pitched as a negative thing though, seeing as how establishing residency saves 60k for OOS students!

Either that, or perhaps they're referring to years 3 and 4 being 12 months each, so you're paying for six semesters there. But that's pretty standard across the country.

As a MS3 here who was OOS for the first year, I don't feel that I'm paying for five years of education in the least.

When you consider that basically every premed student at OSU applies to OSUCOM, it's only natural that proportionally fewer OSU students will get interviewed, even if the net number is higher than any other school. OSU absolutely wants OSU students, and every year we get a bunch. They make up a significant portion of the instate student population. 25% of my class is OSU students alone, while there's only one bearcat. When half of my class is OOS, I'd say that demonstrates a pretty big preference for OSU students.

I always check the list of interviewees when I pass by on interview days, there's plenty of home institution representation coming through.

When you consider that basically every premed student at OSU applies to OSUCOM, it's only natural that proportionally fewer OSU students will get interviewed, even if the net number is higher than any other school. OSU absolutely wants OSU students, and every year we get a bunch. They make up a significant portion of the instate student population. 25% of my class is OSU students alone, while there's only one bearcat. When half of my class is OOS, I'd say that demonstrates a pretty big preference for OSU students.

I always check the list of interviewees when I pass by on interview days, there's plenty of home institution representation coming through.
Damn, I guess my app is deficient then.

Damn, I guess my app is deficient then.
Hang in there, it's a long season. OSU students are at practically every interview day, and have the benefit of being able to fill last minute for cancellations, so don't get too discouraged. Still months to go.

OSU senior this year and LizzyM ~76...starting to get worried I still haven't heard anything since submitting the secondary :(

OSU senior this year and LizzyM ~76...starting to get worried I still haven't heard anything since submitting the secondary :(
When did you submit your app? I am IS from Cincinnati, Submitted early August, still nothing as well :(

Something to brighten the mood a bit (possibly):

We are only 2.5 months into tOSU's interview cycle out of 6-7 months total. Idk if they tend to interview more kids earlier on and the groups get smaller later or they invite most early on and then the IIs trickle in for the rest of the month but this certainly gave me a lot of hope!

Something to brighten the mood a bit (possibly):

We are only 2.5 months into tOSU's interview cycle out of 6-7 months total. Idk if they tend to interview more kids earlier on and the groups get smaller later or they invite most early on and then the IIs trickle in for the rest of the month but this certainly gave me a lot of hope!

14 interviewees at every interview for the entire season. Lot of time left.

Got an II today! Man that took a while...I submitted July 11th. OOS. So I have to call if I want to change the pre-determined interview date? Are there a lot of options?

Got an II today! Man that took a while...I submitted July 11th. OOS. So I have to call if I want to change the pre-determined interview date? Are there a lot of options?
Can I ask what interview date they offered you? I just want some idea of where they're at.

II today for MSTP! I absolutely love this school!

Is there another round of acceptances tonight?

Is there another round of acceptances tonight?
Yeppers!

Edit: Did those who have been accepted get the news the night before the day you were supposed to find out or on the night of the day you were scheduled to find out? Sorry, so anxious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeppers!

Edit: Did those who have been accepted get the news the night before the day you were supposed to find out or on the night of the day you were scheduled to find out? Sorry, so anxious!
i got the "call" (text) at midnight on the 17th which was the day we were supposed to find out. essentially, for me at least, they told you as early as possible

Yeppers!

I know the last round started in the evening the day before so like 8 o clock.

Yeppers!

I got the call around 10pm the night before

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

deferred :/ anybody know how many students get accepted after being deferred?

deferred :/ anybody know how many students get accepted after being deferred?
I was deferred on the 25th of October and I haven't seen any movement from anyone on the deferred list.