You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Ohio State University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
drnala15
At my interview, they said upwards of 40 people in the class of around 200 are off of the deferred list... and that is not even including those who were offered a spot after being deferred and didn't accept!! The cycle is not even close to being over and you guys had relatively early interviews which means your app will be reviewed every time the adcoms meet! Don't give up hope! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! Can someone please provide a little more insight or advice for the student interview?
I understand that the faculty interview is more traditional questions.
Is the student interview more conversational or will they be asking you traditional questions as well? What are the differences between the two interviews (if there are any)?
I understand that the faculty interview is more traditional questions.
Is the student interview more conversational or will they be asking you traditional questions as well? What are the differences between the two interviews (if there are any)?
Half of all applicants interviewed get an acceptance, roughly. Being deferred is irrelevant since there's separate deferred list. Everyone who interviews is eligible for an acceptance at each decision date
Are you saying that half of all applicants interviewed get an acceptance including those that first are deferred and gain an acceptance later on?
Hey! Can someone please provide a little more insight or advice for the student interview?
I understand that the faculty interview is more traditional questions.
Is the student interview more conversational or will they be asking you traditional questions as well? What are the differences between the two interviews (if there are any)?
At least for me the student interview was similar to the faculty interview. It appeared both had a list of questions that they wanted to ask, and at times, I was asked to elaborate on some certain parts of my application.
Yes. I'm saying regardless of whether you are immediately accepted or you are "deferred", it's irrelevant. There is a finite pool of people who are interviewed here. Of that finite pool, about half, give or take, will receive an acceptance, just based on the numbers needed to fill a class. This is well demonstrated in the stats from our class profile.Are you saying that half of all applicants interviewed get an acceptance including those that first are deferred and gain an acceptance later on?
https://medicine.osu.edu/admissions/md/brochures-fact-sheets/Documents/Entering Class Profile.pdf
https://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/Class Profile/Class Profile.pdf
Apparent 1 person dead and 8 injured. Possibly more than 2 shooters. I'm in lock down at. WTF is going on...
I saw that there was 1 dead, but that was the (or one possible?) suspect. 7 of 8 are stable with 1 in critical condition.
D
drnala15
Stay safe, friends! Sending positive thoughts your way.
This may be a silly question in this moment but I fly out early tomorrow (for Wednesday II) and now my family is hounding me to call the office. My view is that they are very on top of their game, and will email us if necessary. What would you guys do?
I think you are okay... scene seems to be clear! Keep up with the news but I think we will find more out in the next hour or so
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if there was an accepted students/class of 2021 Facebook page for this school?
Anybody have any idea when would be a good time to send an update as a deferred applicant?
I was just wondering if there was an accepted students/class of 2021 Facebook page for this school?
I haven't found one yet!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just sent one last night.Anybody have any idea when would be a good time to send an update as a deferred applicant?
Just a general question for those of you thinking about sending updates.
What exactly are you going to include?
I want to send something too, but I haven't gotten my transcript for this semester, and haven't had anything notable research wise.
Or is the update more of a letter of intent?
Seeing everyone talk about sending update letters on here is making me feel like they're somewhat expected or mandatory. Or is this not the case?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What exactly are you going to include?
I want to send something too, but I haven't gotten my transcript for this semester, and haven't had anything notable research wise.
Or is the update more of a letter of intent?
Seeing everyone talk about sending update letters on here is making me feel like they're somewhat expected or mandatory. Or is this not the case?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just a general question for those of you thinking about sending updates.
What exactly are you going to include?
I want to send something too, but I haven't gotten my transcript for this semester, and haven't had anything notable research wise.
Or is the update more of a letter of intent?
Seeing everyone talk about sending update letters on here is making me feel like they're somewhat expected or mandatory. Or is this not the case?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I would wait till you get your grades!
I was accepted to present my research at a conference.Just a general question for those of you thinking about sending updates.
What exactly are you going to include?
I want to send something too, but I haven't gotten my transcript for this semester, and haven't had anything notable research wise.
Or is the update more of a letter of intent?
Seeing everyone talk about sending update letters on here is making me feel like they're somewhat expected or mandatory. Or is this not the case?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on your research invite! And thanks guys. I was trying to get a better feel for what these updates are all about
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on your research invite! And thanks guys. I was trying to get a better feel for what these updates are all about
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm thinking about just sending an update that I've accepted a full-time MCAT tutor position and then a quick reminder of everything else I'm doing during my gap year - still debating sending it or not
I'm thinking about just sending an update that I've accepted a full-time MCAT tutor position and then a quick reminder of everything else I'm doing during my gap year - still debating sending it or not
Ah ok very cool. Thanks for sharing!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Does anyone know if OSU interviews mainly in state residents early in the cycle and OOS applicants later in the cycle?
Pretty sure it's the opposite. I think it's so people from OOS don't have to travel once the weather gets cold.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey man I am trying to figure out the same. I got deferred october 17th and still nothing :/ trying to stay hopefuldeferred :/ anybody know how many students get accepted after being deferred?
Hey man I am trying to figure out the same. I got deferred october 17th and still nothing :/ trying to stay hopeful
Someone earlier said that ~40 people in their class last year came from the deferred list. So at least 40 plus the number of students who were offered a spot off the deferred list and turned them down. Just a waiting game now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still holding out for an II, complete early Aug IS. It's gettin cold OSU, I hope you got II ready!
+1 still waiting for an II
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey guys! I am a 505 MCAT, 3.67 GPA, 3.55 science, traditional. I was wondering if anyone with similar scores have received an interview? I know I am below average on my score, but I can dream 🙂 let me know what you think or if you have any advice for me
I was accepted with a 509 MCAT, 3.69 cGPA , 3.5 sGPA, traditional, URM, and OOS. I definitely feel that you still have a chance. They appeared to really value EC's and experiences so even with slightly lower stats you still definitely have a chance 🙂
Hi! Just wanted to make sure of something...if we havent received a II but our app is complete...the right side of the page where it says "Current Action" should have nothing below it, correct?
Complete mid July and silence. Does this school reject or do they do silent rejections
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
A question for current students: do you guys typically pay for textbooks (digital and hard copy), borrow materials from other students, or are there no textbooks required?
If we're competing against Brutus the Buckeye for a spot, we're out of luck. He's got an impressive resume http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/c-spirit/spec-rel/brutus-buckeye.html
If we're competing against Brutus the Buckeye for a spot, we're out of luck. He's got an impressive resume http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/c-spirit/spec-rel/brutus-buckeye.html
Crap.. Might as well withdraw my app now
So no call by this point means either wait-list or rejection?
To those who've received IIs - did you a receive an e-mail or was there a change in your portal?
Has your information on vitals been updated yet.JUST GOT A CALL THAT I WAS ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!! ABSOLUTE DREAM!!!!!!! listened to the voicemail like 5 times to make sure it wasn't a mistake! was initially deferred so don't give up hope everyone!!!!!!!!
Deferred
Also deferred. Does anyone know when the next meeting is? I did not know if they would meet on the 19th because it is so close to the holidays.. maybe a recent interviewee could shed some light?Deferred
Also deferred. Does anyone know when the next meeting is? I did not know if they would meet on the 19th because it is so close to the holidays.. maybe a recent interviewee could shed some light?
I interviewed on 11/30 and we find out 12/15.
Just out of curiosity, was anyone interviewing while campus was on lockdown last week? I am an OSU student (not so) patiently waiting for an interview and feel awful for those who possibly interviewed during that crisis. I can assure you, OSU is a wonderful place and that will hopefully never happen again!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity, was anyone interviewing while campus was on lockdown last week? I am an OSU student (not so) patiently waiting for an interview and feel awful for those who possibly interviewed during that crisis. I can assure you, OSU is a wonderful place and that will hopefully never happen again!
The interview was two days after, 11/30.. so no one was. (Edit: False... didn't realize Monday was an option)
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, was anyone interviewing while campus was on lockdown last week? I am an OSU student (not so) patiently waiting for an interview and feel awful for those who possibly interviewed during that crisis. I can assure you, OSU is a wonderful place and that will hopefully never happen again!
+1. I don't even go to OSU so I have no incentive to mislead. I just grew up in Columbus and went out of state for undergrad. But I can confirm that occurrence was a HUGE anomaly.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Generally they have interviews Mondays and Wednesdays, I just hope no one had to deal with that.The interview was two days after, 11/30.. so no one was.
Just out of curiosity, was anyone interviewing while campus was on lockdown last week? I am an OSU student (not so) patiently waiting for an interview and feel awful for those who possibly interviewed during that crisis. I can assure you, OSU is a wonderful place and that will hopefully never happen again!
I interviewed that day and was accepted last night via phone call. The admissions office staff along with Dean Capers did a phenomenal job making sure we felt safe. At least for me, it only raised my perception of OSU.