2016-2017 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any idea how often the committee meets for post-II decisions?

Members don't see this ad.

At my interview, I was told once a month.
Wow, that must be a seriously long monthly meeting, unless every aspect of an applicant is broken down into points and then the highest point total applicants get in, in which case there isn't much for them to discuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the last batch of post II decisions hasn't been since November 4th, I think there's a decent chance that they will meet sometime soon (early December) and should get through the end of October and a chunk of November.

Reactions: 1 user
Since the last batch of post II decisions hasn't been since November 4th, I think there's a decent chance that they will meet sometime soon (early December) and should get through the end of October and a chunk of November.
My exact thoughts :)

Does anyone know how reliable the shuttle bus is? I'm planning on travelling from Downtown Chicago to the campus using public transit for my interview.

I have a couple questions for any current students that wouldn't mind answering. Do you feel like you are getting a great education at Rosalind Franklin? Would you choose Rosalind Franklin again knowing what you do now?

yes, a million times over. pm me with questions. i may not respond cus i'll be studying, but here's my opinion:

students are excellent - hard working and very intelligent. diverse. the thing stats wont tell u is how welcoming and kind every person is. i dont think i have 1 classmate i dont like.

professors - most are very good lectures (i will say, most people at any med school don't go to lecture). if u do choose to go to lecture, however, they are good. outside of lecture they are EXTREMELY knowledgable and easy to work with. u will get a very good education here.

highlights:
-super invested in making sure u succeed (if u do well, the school does well; if the school does well, u do well)
-this is a private graduate university, not a public undergrad institution
-free clinic where u can get early clinical experience
-tons of student orgs
-great fitness center
-fantastic facillities
-the people
- u can definitely do research during ur summer, many opportunities for that
-beautiful beaches nearby
-mentorship program
i could keep going on.....

caveat:
-i would seek out a physician mentor that u can shadow during breaks if u feel u need to be in the hospital (you'll probs just want to rest)

oh and its not in the city (don't worry- u wouldnt have time in med school to enjoy that any way); it is however, in a pretty cool suburb sort of sandwiched between an underserved community and the most wealthy community in the chicago area [think hamptoms of the midwest] (like hannah montana - u can have the best of both worlds);

also one tid bit of advice- i was on here a lot last year and fit the bill of the anxious pre-med. u will go to med school. if not this year, next, or the next. make changes to ur app that u need to make in the meantime, but don't waste ur life on here like i did. spend precious time w ur family and friends before starting this epic journey.

tl;dr:
i would attend RFU again.
great school. great education. u will set ur own ceiling.
get off of here and spend time with the ones u love before starting med school and be thankful (it is two days before easter, after all [thats a joke])

now back to studying...

Reactions: 11 users
16 weeks of radio silence since being complete. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the continuing review e-mail pre-II. I'm going to have to withdraw as I cannot afford a third trip to the Chicago area even if offered an interview. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

16 weeks of radio silence since being complete. Anyone else?

Got the 'complete' email 10/31. Submitted secondary 9/2. Hoping to hear something before new year. Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Last edited:
Got the 'complete' email 10/31. Submitted secondary 9/2. Hoping to hear something before new year. Happy Thanksgiving folks!

I still havent received this complete email and I submitted 9/2 as well, getting worried

Members don't see this ad :)
I still havent received this complete email and I submitted 9/2 as well, getting worried

I hope you hear something soon. This process appears unpredictable at times. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving.

To anyone who already completed a morning interview: What time did the interview day end?

I submitted my secondary on 8/15 and never got a complete email either. I got worried and emailed them about a week ago. They told me that I was in the evaluation process, so I guess I'm complete, but have no specific date as to when I was complete. Might be worth it to send an email over to admissions to see!

Do you guys know if the post-interview decisions: hold and waitlist are still being practiced this year? The reason I ask is that noone has mentioned being put on the waitlist.

My interview is this Friday. I am renting a car this time and have never before. Any of you know how long it takes on average to grab a rental car? I'm using Advantage.

My interview is this Friday. I am renting a car this time and have never before. Any of you know how long it takes on average to grab a rental car? I'm using Advantage.

Depends on how busy it is but prob 20 min?

I rented from Advantage when I went - they're not on site, so you need to catch their shuttle, then it's a 10-15 min drive to their office, then maybe 10-15 min to fill out the paperwork if there's no line. And ~40 min drive from there to RF with no/minimal traffic (and if you have a transponder so you don't need to stop at toll booths).

I rented from Advantage when I went - they're not on site, so you need to catch their shuttle, then it's a 10-15 min drive to their office, then maybe 10-15 min to fill out the paperwork if there's no line. And ~40 min drive from there to RF with no/minimal traffic (and if you have a transponder so you don't need to stop at toll booths).

Do you think the car will have a transponder in it or is this something I can put on my phone?

EDIT: Figured it out. Hope they have them installed in the car :)

Also, for students / locals, what are some interesting things to check out in the area before I head back to the airport? After my interview I should have a few hours to drive around.

II this afternoon. Withdrew in favor of prior acceptances. Hoping the spot goes to one of you!

For reference, LizzyM 75, Complete mid-July.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think the car will have a transponder in it or is this something I can put on my phone?

EDIT: Figured it out. Hope they have them installed in the car :)
You can rent one at the counter. I already had one so idk how much it costs, but shouldn't be a lot.

For anyone who already interviewed here, do you recommend preparing for the MMI or would that be a waste of time? If yes, how should you prepare?

For anyone who already interviewed here, do you recommend preparing for the MMI or would that be a waste of time? If yes, how should you prepare?
+1, Same. Please anyone, any advice would be really appreciated!

You can google some YouTube videos on MMI prep. They are quite helpful in general regardless of the school.

Agreed. It is impossible to predict what your actual prompts will be, but general MMI prep to make sure you are familiar with the style will probably help.

There are definitely practice scenarios and videos floating around on the webz to review. Honestly I found it helped because it wasn't a huge shock. I practiced with colleagues and friends, under timed conditions and "typical unenthused" interviewers. When I went into the actual MMI it wasn't as big of an adjustment since I had practiced, ya know?

Also, for students / locals, what are some interesting things to check out in the area before I head back to the airport? After my interview I should have a few hours to drive around.
I am not a local, but I went to millennium park to see "the bean", walked around downtown chicago / chicago loop / state street, if you're a foodie - I saw good restaurants everywhere, went to the navy pier, and they have the German Christmas market open during this time of year (Christkindlemarket). I was told to check out the sears tower but never got to it.

Hey guys, did you all get any emails before your interview? I confirmed my interview for next Friday but I have not heard anything since. Should I expect to hear something? I thought I read that they send more info about the interview a few weeks before.

Hey guys, did you all get any emails before your interview? I confirmed my interview for next Friday but I have not heard anything since. Should I expect to hear something? I thought I read that they send more info about the interview a few weeks before.

You'll get another email about one week before your scheduled interview

Any recommendations for local taxis from a North Chicago hotel to CMS (~2 mi)?

My hotel doesn't offer shuttle and Uber/Lyft don't service the area

Hello,
I am new to this, but I am a non-trad student(graduated in 2012), OOS with 505 MCAT, and completed my app 11/21. About how long was it before you received a status update once your application was complete?

I interviewed on Oct 28th and the wait is killing me! I jump every time I see an email!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to this, but I am a non-trad student(graduated in 2012), OOS with 505 MCAT, and completed my app 11/21. About how long was it before you received a status update once your application was complete?
It was two months for me. I submitted my secondary august 18th and didn't receive the complete email until October 25th. Although, I think they are moving faster now since they have fewer apps to process. I read a couple of posts that said it was more like four weeks for people now. Hope this helps!

I have entered week 8 post completion. I really hope they've gotten through a lot of that initial burst of apps!

I have entered week 8 post completion. I really hope they've gotten through a lot of that initial burst of apps!
I'm in the middle of week 15 if that makes you feel any better.

I interviewed on Oct 28th and the wait is killing me! I jump every time I see an email!
Based on the once a month pattern I'm gonna guess they are gonna have the next huge wave of decisions come out sometime next week! :banana:

Reactions: 1 users