2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats & Good luck :)
I accidentally signed into an account that I thought I forgot my password for a while back.
Congrats! Praying to get one, too..
Mind sharing stats??
Thanks so much! I accidentally made two accounts a few years ago and somehow got signed into that one!! In need to deactivate that one!! Here are my stats below. I'm out of state and had some pretty extenuating family circumstances that complicated my years as an undergrad, to give some background on my application.

Reactions: 1 user
I accidentally signed into an account that I thought I forgot my password for a while back.

Thanks so much! I accidentally made two accounts a few years ago and somehow got signed into that one!! In need to deactivate that one!! Here are my stats below. I'm out of state and had some pretty extenuating family circumstances that complicated my years as an undergrad, to give some background on my application.

you can now change the II from *crickets chirping* to UCLA :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my god... I just received an interview.... I'm absolutely speechless. I didn't think I was going to get one from anywhere this cycle
I somehow signed into an account I thought I deactivated a while back. Here on my stats for anyone wondering. I an OOS, decent amount of clinical experience and I think I'm non traditional because I've been out of college for a year.

you can now change the II from *crickets chirping* to UCLA :)
I've been waiting so long for this moment! hahah. I am at work right now and I just can't focus on anything. haha

Same situation as you guys, got hold on UCSD and post-secondary reject from UCSF, UCI, presecondary reject from UCD
Wondering if I am out of luck with the UC's this year or if I am still in the running for UCLA

i havent heard back from UCSD for a II/hold/rejection since submitting my secondary in sept so im hoping no news is good news from them, you're ahead of the game than me by getting UCSF and UCIs secondaries, im still waiting on them

T

Thank you! I applied to geffen only. Did you apply to PRIME?

Yeah I did. Just getting real impatient for the Dec 17th interview notifications lol

I haven't seen anyone rejected PRIME and moved along to Geffen II in a long time so I'm hoping they aren't giving us PRIME applicants false hope lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I did. Just getting real impatient for the Dec 17th interview notifications lol

I haven't seen anyone rejected PRIME and moved along to Geffen II in a long time so I'm hoping they aren't giving us PRIME applicants false hope lol

Ahhhh I see. So do they do the whole PRIME process first then? I'm not too familiar with the program or how it changes your app process overall

Members don't see this ad :)
If I got a secondary back in july (and completed it in july) am I out of the running for an II at this point? Weirdly got a secondary like a couple weeks after submitting and its been silence ever since...makes me think the secondary was a mistake LOL

Congrats! When were you complete? Also your stars aren't showing up lol.

If I got a secondary back in july (and completed it in july) am I out of the running for an II at this point? Weirdly got a secondary like a couple weeks after submitting and its been silence ever since...makes me think the secondary was a mistake LOL
I wouldnt worry too much about the time difference. I feel like some people get II shortly after submitting their secondaries and other people hear nothing for months and then randomly get a bunch of IIs. Every school seems to have some variation within their process

Oh my god... I just received an interview.... I'm absolutely speechless. I didn't think I was going to get one from anywhere this cycle
Congrats, NOW GO CRUSH IT!

Ahhhh I see. So do they do the whole PRIME process first then? I'm not too familiar with the program or how it changes your app process overall

I think if you apply PRIME both committees look at your app but PRIME can say you're not a good fit and you can still be considered for Geffen. Some people get rejected PRIME and then get interviews for Geffen. (Apparently the II says, sorry no PRIME but come Interview for MD program, etc.)

PRIME sends interview invites all at once on a set date, and only interviews for 3 days in January. So my thought is, if we haven't been passed off for PRIME yet are we likely to get considered for Geffen. Or, will we get rejected PRIME next month and then still wait for Geffen, or maybe rejected both at that point.

*Pulls hair out* Idkkkkkkk

Last edited:
I think if our apply PRIME both committee's look at your app but PRIME can say you're not a good fit and you can still be considered for Geffen. Some people get rejected PRIME and then get interviews for Geffen. (Apparently the II says, sorry no PRIME but come Interview for MD program, etc.)

PRIME sends interview invites all at once on a set date, and only interviews for 3 days in January. So my thought is, if we haven't been passed off for PRIME yet are we likely to get considered for Geffen. Or, will we get rejected PRIME next month and then still wait for Geffen, or maybe rejected both at that point.

*Pulls hair out* Idkkkkkkk

I bet they still look at you for Geffen if you don't get chosen to interview for PRIME then. Obviously it's impossible to do, but stay positive and try not to worry. Honestly, I haven't logged onto this website in almost a month. I only got on to update this thread on my II. I also made myself stop checking my e-mail every two minutes which was hard to do at first. I'm rooting for you though!! There's still over two weeks till that date and I bet they'll send out a bolus of interview invites near that deadline. Props to you for going for such a competitive program!

I bet they still look at you for Geffen if you don't get chosen to interview for PRIME then. Obviously it's impossible to do, but stay positive and try not to worry. Honestly, I haven't logged onto this website in almost a month. I only got on to update this thread on my II. I also made myself stop checking my e-mail every two minutes which was hard to do at first. I'm rooting for you though!! There's still over two weeks till that date and I bet they'll send out a bolus of interview invites near that deadline. Props to you for going for such a competitive program!

Aww thank you! That was very sweet of you. Best of luck with your interview day!

Aww thank you! That was very sweet of you. Best of luck with your interview day!

no problem! And thanks so much! I'm already a little nauseous and nervous and I don't even have the II scheduled yet hahaha

II today OOS Applicant! woohoooo

Reactions: 3 users
Silence since July...only UC I have not received a secondary from STILL. C'mon UCLA!

Reactions: 1 users
Silence since July...only UC I have not received a secondary from STILL. C'mon UCLA!
That's pretty strange. Maybe call the admissions office and ask about it? My friend did that with a school and they were like "Oh thats weird you didn't get it. We'll send it to you now."

That's pretty strange. Maybe call the admissions office and ask about it? My friend did that with a school and they were like "Oh thats weird you didn't get it. We'll send it to you now."

I'm sure people have called but maybe it might be worth a shot LOL. +1 to the waiting on secondary since June/July despite having secondaries from all the other UCs

Reactions: 2 users

Could it be?

Same except for mid August primary app

Have you received secondaries from the other UCs?
Also complete since early July. No UCLA secondary, but secondaries from all other UCs. This is even later than last year :| Maybe because I'm a reapplicant?

PSA: Early fall interviewees are expected to hear decisions Jan. 15th, according to friend who interviewed today

This is my first post on SDN although I have been stalking for a while! :laugh: I have some questions for current medical students or anyone who may have gone through other cycles. I am a senior this year and I submitted around 10 secondary applications mid-July/early-August. I am waiting anxiously to hear about an II from any school yet and I have received two rejections post-secondary. Being new to this process, I don't know where we are at in this cycle but I'm starting to be a bit concerned. My questions are: 1. Is there still hope for an II? 2. What if I come up empty this cycle - what would you recommend for me for this coming year? More classes? Re-take the MCAT? I really want to continue to pursue my dream of being a doctor. BTW, my stats are LizzyM ~68, cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.95. I have strong LOR's but not much research.
Sorry for such a long post . . .

This is my first post on SDN although I have been stalking for a while! :laugh: I have some questions for current medical students or anyone who may have gone through other cycles. I am a senior this year and I submitted around 10 secondary applications mid-July/early-August. I am waiting anxiously to hear about an II from any school yet and I have received two rejections post-secondary. Being new to this process, I don't know where we are at in this cycle but I'm starting to be a bit concerned. My questions are: 1. Is there still hope for an II? 2. What if I come up empty this cycle - what would you recommend for me for this coming year? More classes? Re-take the MCAT? I really want to continue to pursue my dream of being a doctor. BTW, my stats are LizzyM ~68, cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.95. I have strong LOR's but not much research.

Uh I think the first step is to definitely retake the MCAT. You have a 3.9 with a LizzyM of 68? Isn't that like a 29 MCAT? That's like 4 points below the median for matriculants or something. You still have a chance at getting an II, but I would make sure to have a backup plan ready.

Hey welcome, yeah I think there is a Thanksgiving rule, where if you don't get an interview invite by thanksgiving you should start making plans to reapply. Retaking the MCAT would be a good idea like the poster above suggested.

I just wanted to offer my 2 cents as well. Have you applied to DO programs? Also, I don't know if your MCAT is the problem necessarily. It might just be that you haven't apply broad enough. I think most applicants apply to 20+ schools. You might wanna look at the stats for the schools you're applying to as well. Make sure to apply for some within reach stats, some just below, some just above and then throw in the ones that you have your heart set on but don't have the stats for it type of schools.

The app cycle does run until March/April so you could still get II's from the other 8 schools as well. So don't give up just yet

PSA: Early fall interviewees are expected to hear decisions Jan. 15th, according to friend who interviewed today
Thanks for that, was freaking out about it. What's funny is that they were like "Oh this year we'll try to get back to people by November". It's ok, still love you UCLA <3

Thanks for that, was freaking out about it. What's funny is that they were like "Oh this year we'll try to get back to people by November". It's ok, still love you UCLA <3

If you end up at UCLA you'll notice that being organized isn't their strong suit

is UCLA receptive to ITA emails? I am going to be in Cali for a research conference for a week and I would hate to have to travel east to west coast multiple times :/

is UCLA receptive to ITA emails? I am going to be in Cali for a research conference for a week and I would hate to have to travel east to west coast multiple times :/
Heard not really, unfortunately. The coast to coast trip sucks, I feel you.

If you end up at UCLA you'll notice that being organized isn't their strong suit
Kinda got that impression, but will gladly accept it if I end up getting in there!

Dean Hall mentioned that some people could be notified mid-December but January 15th is generally the consensus. I hope we here back good news!

Kinda got that impression, but will gladly accept it if I end up getting in there!
can you expand?

I'm happy to say that this hasn't at all been my experience as a student here. In fact, the organization here has been far better than what I had in undergrad, and either comparable or better than what my friends at other med schools report. All of the lecture slides, lecture notes, and lab files are uploaded a week in advance, allowing you to prepare for any and all of the coming week's material well in advance--a few people in our class will actually go through every lecture and lab, and pre-write their notes over the weekend. Certainly not the norm, but many of us like to at least take a peek at tomorrow's material, something which was not possible for me in undergrad. Don't even get me started on how absurdly well-organized and well-made Dr. Stark's anatomy and histopathology lab prep modules are, and Dr. Melega has taken the time to make us his own pharmacology flashcards for each block to save us time or money on making our own or buying commercial cards.

Lecture and lab times for each entire ~8-10 week block are provided to us before each block starts, and I only remember one time this year when there was a schedule change (an EH&S training was swapped with our ungraded midterm). Again, comparing notes with friends at other institutions, this is about as good as it seems to gets. I remember visiting one friend at a different school, where our coffee date had to be slightly postponed last minute because a completely new class had been added to her schedule just the day before; when I did meet her, turned out the rescheduling was completely unnecessary, because that same class had been cancelled as of that morning. Apparently constantly-fluctuating schedules were not uncommon for her either. She's at a great institution that anyone would be lucky to attend and otherwise loves it, so I don't mean to criticize it; just saying that our curricular organization here is excellent. :)

Good luck with decisions everyone! Happy to answer any questions about DGSOM as always.

Did they say anything when she should be hearing back? I.e. November and December interviews.

Did they say anything when she should be hearing back? I.e. November and December interviews.

Friend said it was "unclear" but also that admissions people didn't explicitly rule out Jan. 15th :confused:

Does anyone know the e-mail address to send official transcripts to after receiving the II?
I remember they had it listed on the interview request document, but no access to it now that I've scheduled..