2016-2017 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They have to be up to 180 acceptances by tomorrow though, so I am very confused.

That's not true. UNC has to have extended an amount of offers equal to the seats in their class. So by tomorrow, they need to have offered spots to 180 people but it doesn't matter whether those offers have been accepted yet or not.

AAMC Traffic Rules are very helpful: https://students-residents.aamc.org...ation-and-acceptance-protocols-admission-off/

Members don't see this ad.

That's not true. UNC has to have extended an amount of offers equal to the seats in their class. So by tomorrow, they need to have offered spots to 180 people but it doesn't matter whether those offers have been accepted yet or not.

AAMC Traffic Rules are very helpful: https://students-residents.aamc.org...ation-and-acceptance-protocols-admission-off/
I apologize, I apparently used the wrong term. I use offer and acceptance interchangeably because an offer means that person has been offered an acceptance to the school. Regardless, it means that they have to have offered 180 spots which it does not seem like they are up to.

No it does not at all. I have no idea what's going on this makes no sense. Unless 80 people rejected their spot (77% retention rate...this seems highly unlikely). That being said, I don't think there's any rules about when they have to NOTIFY the people they accepted. Maybe that's what's happening?

EDIT: never mind. Just read them acceptance offers don't count unless they have been communicated to the applicant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No it does not at all. I have no idea what's going on this makes no sense. Unless 80 people rejected their spot (77% retention rate...this seems highly unlikely). That being said, I don't think there's any rules about when they have to NOTIFY the people they accepted. Maybe that's what's happening?

The *guidelines* are pretty clear: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." Issuing an offer means notifying them.

Reactions: 1 user
The *guidelines* are pretty clear: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS." Issuing an offer means notifying them.
Lol yeah just read that I must have been in the middle of editing my post at the same time you were correcting me o_O. But you're right. That means this whole silence makes even less sense.

EDIT: never mind. Just read them acceptance offers don't count unless they have been communicated to the applicant.
What makes you think they haven't reached 180 offers yet?

Lol yeah just read that I must have been in the middle of editing my post at the same time you were correcting me o_O. But you're right. That means this whole silence makes even less sense.

Haha, jinx. But yeah, agreed. I am totally confused at this point - but maybe SDN is just a really terrible source of info.

What makes you think they haven't reached 180 offers yet?
Mostly speculation. And the fact that there are only about 100 people on the accepted students' Facebook group. Even leaving room for people who don't have a Facebook, I seriously doubt 80 people don't have a Facebook/arent connected to the group. But I could be wrong.

There also are probably a dozen or so MS1s in that group so that 100 isn't all accepted applicants.

It was up to 117 last time I checked, which would support ~100 acceptees

Yeah, if there were 100 people last Wednesday and 120 now, I bet that's what's happening

There also are probably a dozen or so MS1s in that group so that 100 isn't all accepted applicants.

Yeah I had tried to account for MS1s in the group when I posted that there were a little over 100 members last week.

So realistically, if we haven't been accepted yet, we're probably all going to be waitlisted or rejected at this point, yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
So realistically, if we haven't been accepted yet, we're probably all going to be waitlisted or rejected at this point, yes?

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Looking back at previous years' accepted student pages, most of them have 300-400 + members so I'd imagine that the number of members in the group isn't 100% indicative of how many offers have gone out. I don't think anyone can say for sure what to expect so I would stay hopeful. I interviewed back in December as well and am trying to be positive. Lol.

I interviewed first week of Feb and haven't seen or heard of an acceptance go out to anyone that has interviewed past January. I REALLY HOPE that means that both 1) there haven't been any acceptances to go out to this cohort, and 2) that this is not because there are no spots available

Reactions: 4 users
can someone post the link to the Facebook group? I can't find it and I want to creep lol

Re-applicant here who recently interviewed.

Last week of interviews was last week, so there's no way all the acceptances have been given out.

Also, the 'rule' about schools giving out enough acceptances to fill the class seems more like a suggestion. Another school I interviewed at said they only accept 10-20% of their class initially, and the other 80-90% find out at the end of April. They say they do that to make the interview process fair. Not saying UNC does this, but other schools do.

I also believe UNC says on their website that applicants may not be notified until the beginning of April of acceptances.. so there are definitely more acceptances in store for people here.

Reactions: 3 users
I joined it last week and I haven't heard back yet. Just wanted to see what's going on lol
IM SORRY........WHAT???????!!!!

My life is a lie. All of my Facebook statistics just evaporated right before my eyes.

Reactions: 7 users
Re-applicant here who recently interviewed.

Last week of interviews was last week, so there's no way all the acceptances have been given out.

Also, the 'rule' about schools giving out enough acceptances to fill the class seems more like a suggestion. Another school I interviewed at said they only accept 10-20% of their class initially, and the other 80-90% find out at the end of April. They say they do that to make the interview process fair. Not saying UNC does this, but other schools do.

I also believe UNC says on their website that applicants may not be notified until the beginning of April of acceptances.. so there are definitely more acceptances in store for people here.

I believe you are correct. I know someone who just called to ask and all they were told was final acceptances will go out the first week of April.

IM SORRY........WHAT???????!!!!

My life is a lie. All of my Facebook statistics just evaporated right before my eyes.
Yes they are. At least 5 are MS2s and probably some others that haven't been admitted

Hi, I know of someone who posted their acceptance on social media last Tuesday (not sure if they just waited to post their acceptance, but it's likely they just posted it the day they got accepted). So maybe it's just been silence on here and not in general.

Hi, I know of someone who posted their acceptance on social media last Tuesday (not sure if they just waited to post their acceptance, but it's likely they just posted it the day they got accepted). So maybe it's just been silence on here and not in general.
Can you ask them when they got the call and when they interviewed? Even if they got a call last week it's still possible their interviewer is just real tardy. This happened to a friend of mine last year.

Last edited:
Can you ask them when they got the call ?
Pls

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know them personally, I'm sorry :/ But I would assume last Tuesday

Edit: This is now causing more harm than good. Good luck to you all I need a break lol

^told myself the same thing but started checking it everyday :rofl:

I really want to call the office and ask what's going on but idk what to say. Should I just call and start crying

Reactions: 1 users
I got one of those productivity extensions for Safari in order to block SDN...

... so whenever I want to check it I just use Chrome! :)

Second look weekend is March 25/26th. I'm assuming they don't have very many acceptances left to give out :(

Hey guys! Sorry to break the current topic of the thread but I have a question for those of you who have interviewed at UNC. I spoke to admissions a few days ago, and Mrs. Reid told me that they want to see hands on patient experience. How did you do that? I don't have a certification or anything but I did interact with patients in my ECs. Do you mind telling me what kind of patient experience y'all have? Unless you are a nurse or CNA or something, I doubt that the majority of pre-meds have that kind of experience.....or am I wrong?

Anyone who interviewed feb hear back...acceptance or rejection?

Second look weekend is March 25/26th. I'm assuming they don't have very many acceptances left to give out :(
I think there will be a round of acceptances next week prior to second look...happened last year per sdn. Let's hope we all hear soon.

Hey guys! Sorry to break the current topic of the thread but I have a question for those of you who have interviewed at UNC. I spoke to admissions a few days ago, and Mrs. Reid told me that they want to see hands on patient experience. How did you do that? I don't have a certification or anything but I did interact with patients in my ECs. Do you mind telling me what kind of patient experience y'all have? Unless you are a nurse or CNA or something, I doubt that the majority of pre-meds have that kind of experience.....or am I wrong?

Hey! During my undergrad I actually spent time getting my CNA certification and I took a class on campus that allowed for EMT certification. It's possible to nab these certifications and get some part-time work interacting with patients, or working through the summer. I do have to say however that I have been told by quite a few interviewers that while CNA/EMT work and patient interaction is valuable, it doesn't truly expose you to what a physician's day truly entails.

I took a gap year and worked as a medical scribe and I REALLY think that the experience has been the most valuable out of all of my clinical work. My UNC interviewer last cycle actually recommended the position and said that it's much more in-line with what they look for in terms of exposure.

Last edited:

I didn't have any certification. I got my "hands-on experience" by volunteering directly with patients at the hospital (I did receive more specific, specialized training for these programs but would prefer to keep the details general for anonymity). During my gap year, I am also working with patients in a clinical research trial.

Everyone's experience will look a little different, so I think what will matter most to the adcom is how you frame your own experiences. Looking back, I think being able to talk comfortably and passionately about working with others in both clinical and non-clinical settings helped set me apart in my secondaries/interviews.

Hey! During my undergrad I actually spent time getting my CNA certification and I took a class on campus that allowed for EMT certification. It's possible to nab these certifications and get some part-time work interacting with patients, or working through the summer. I do have to say however that I have been told by quite a few interviewers that while CNA/EMT work and patient interaction is valuable, it doesn't truly expose you to what a physician's day truly entails.

I took a gap year and worked as a medical scribe and I REALLY think that the experience has been the most valuable out of all of my clinical work. My UNC interviewer last cycle actually recommended the position and said that it's much more in-line with what they look for in terms of exposure.
Thank you @SpaceCat45 ! Working as a scribe is actually a great idea :) I'm going to see how I can get that set up. I just cannot afford to get a CNA certification right now :/

I didn't have any certification. I got my "hands-on experience" by volunteering directly with patients at the hospital (I did receive more specific, specialized training for these programs but would prefer to keep the details general for anonymity). During my gap year, I am also working with patients in a clinical research trial.

Everyone's experience will look a little different, so I think what will matter most to the adcom is how you frame your own experiences. Looking back, I think being able to talk comfortably and passionately about working with others in both clinical and non-clinical settings helped set me apart in my secondaries/interviews.

Thanks, @BreakfastLover! I appreciate the input. I'm also volunteering right now and directly interact with patients. I get to feed them, read to them etc. I just wasn't sure if that will be good enough for adcoms. I think that's just about as close you will get to patient interaction without being a professional.

Thank you @SpaceCat45 ! Working as a scribe is actually a great idea :) I'm going to see how I can get that set up. I just cannot afford to get a CNA certification right now :/

Sure thing! Just make sure you'll actually be working in the examination rooms with the physician and patient as opposed to just listening to some dictations :)

I vote youuuuuuuuuuu @Iag2baDr1day :clap:

I would if I hadn't already called twice since my interview (with pretty useless results). Considering I interviewed in October, and based off of last years thread, I decided today that I'm resigning myself to rejection. I don't even think my heart could handle the waiting of being waitlisted.

I would if I hadn't already called twice since my interview (with pretty useless results). Considering I interviewed in October, and based off of last years thread, I decided today that I'm resigning myself to rejection. I don't even think my heart could handle the waiting of being waitlisted.
This is such a long process, and that is quite a long time to wait. Idk if this is your first, second or even third time applying, but as a reapplicant myself, I feel like this has been a 2+ year wait. If you think about it, all of us have been "waiting" for these decisions since we first decided to embark on this journey, back in college, or for others, back in high school or even earlier. Not to get totally sappy, but we should all recognize and take satisfaction in our own emotional and psychological stamina. We are ALMOST there people!!!!!! Almost there!!!!!!

I interviewed first week feb (as stated previously) and I've had the same impression. Seems like to me, that after January 28th they saved the remaining decisions to april (or Monday but doubt it)