2016-2017 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I heard back just a little while ago! :)

Can you say what time they called?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They called at 12:30! (But I missed the call and then there was some phone tag :oops:)

Nice and congrats. Just trying to figure out their system of informing... are you in the first or last half of the alphabet, and were you august or sept? That is, if you don't mind sharing

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got a call at 12:30, but my phone was on silent and when I called back it said the number was not in service. Not entirely sure what to do now - should I just wait for them to call back?

I also got a call at 12:30, but my phone was on silent and when I called back it said the number was not in service. Not entirely sure what to do now - should I just wait for them to call back?
I had this too - what area code was your call from? I think the number I got a call from was out in CA and they didn't leave a message, so I kind of disregarded it. Did they leave you a message?

Nice and congrats. Just trying to figure out there system of informing... are you in the first or last half of the alphabet, and were you august or sept? That is, if you don't mind sharing

Thanks! (And thanks to @FettyWapsGF too!)

First name is in the last half, last name is in the first half. And I was a September interview! (I don't mind sharing at all. Glad I can help keep you all updated on the process. I just hope I'm not over-sharing any secret info on the process lol)

@angus2193 - Check your voicemail! The number they use to call is different from the one you need to call back to. If they didn't leave a msg, I guess just hang out then. & The call was from someone important on the admissions team.

Accepted!! Also had a voicemail from Roanoke area code from Dr. Prusakowski. Called back and got someone else in admissions but they were lovely too!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!! Also had a voicemail from Roanoke area code from Dr. Prusakowski. Called back and got someone else in admissions but they were lovely too!
Did they call just now?

The voicemail says 1:49, but the hospital I work at has the worst cell service so I didn't get the notification that I had a voicemail till 2:15 or so?
Congrats:) Do you mind saying if your last name is in the first or second half of the alphabet? Sorry for all the prying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats:) Do you mind saying if your last name is in the first or second half of the alphabet? Sorry for all the prying.

Haha it's fine! I was curious about everyone else too. Both my first and last name are right near the beginning of the alphabet, and I interviewed on Sept. 6th.

Anyone know where their match list is? Can't find it anywhere on their site. Also how many do they accept for a class size of 42?

Last edited:
Got the call yesterday! interviewed on 9/10.

Can those who have interviewed already comment on the things you were impressed by/your overall take on the school after interviewing there (especially in comparison to other interview experiences if possible)? I am trying to decide whether or not to withdraw my app or attend my interview because I'm not sure if this school fits me as well as the one I've been accepted to and I'm worried it would just add more time off work, travel and unnecessary expenses. Any input you may have would be much appreciated!

Can those who have interviewed already comment on the things you were impressed by/your overall take on the school after interviewing there (especially in comparison to other interview experiences if possible)? I am trying to decide whether or not to withdraw my app or attend my interview because I'm not sure if this school fits me as well as the one I've been accepted to and I'm worried it would just add more time off work, travel and unnecessary expenses. Any input you may have would be much appreciated!
Pros: small class, awesome research support and research built into the curriculum, nice facilities, faculty/admin seem really invested in the success of the students, cool curriculum, laid back students

Cons: new school so no large alumni network (might play a role in residency match), not a ton to do in Roanoke unless you're a super outdoorsy type, kinda "unknown" reputation, kinda a hassle to get there

In short if you have any interest in research or academic medicine at all it would probably be worth checking VTC out

II for 11/19 just yesterday... I was complete July 25, so I was really surprised (but very excited)!
I hope they are keeping spots open for the last interview dates!
Congrats and thanks so much for sharing your completion date! :)

Last edited:
I JUST GOT MY FIRST MD II

I AM SO EXCITED

And also surprised that my industry research was good enough for this school since I didn't do any undergrad research... BUT ANYWAYS

Complete 08/01, LizzyM~68, OOS

Reactions: 9 users
Withdrawing my 11/19 II, hope it goes to one of you and good luck to those with upcoming interviews!!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone mind talking about how the MMI interview is set up? Are people asked any traditional style interview or do you just do stations with different scenarios?
There are either 8 or 9 MMI questions (can't remember) and 1 traditional interview that it 2x as long.

I had some more questions about the MMI process

1. Are interviewees allowed to take notes?
  2. Does the interviewer tell the interviewee that their time is low? (just wondering from a time management perspective)
1. Yes you can, but honestly I wouldn't. I took notes at this one but didn't at another MMI and felt like I had a lot more time to think when I wasn't trying to write. There's not enough info to make it hard to retain for 10 minutes.
2. No they don't. It's up to you. You will have enough time to get through the prompt and the person will ask follow-up questions, during which you will eventually run out of time. You want this as opposed to answering the initial question and sitting there in awkward silence.

Got a call this afternoon, offered II for this Saturday. Complete sometime in late July/early August.

I'll be there! They said business casual. I'm 24 and I still don't really know what that means lol. Shirt and tie? No tie? Blazer?

Same. Hmm....I have a friend who is a current student there, so I'll ask her...

@trainracepace @sav5716 See ya there!!! Are yall going to the reception the night before? Anyone know the dress code?
I'll be coming from a different interview so I'll still be traveling that night :/ I went last year though and it was business casual. Most people wore suits and it's just talking with current med students and eating food!

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone is allowed to answer this, but are there any acting/role playing scenarios on the MMI?

Is there a way to check status online? I don't see a way in the application portal.

Any idea when the next batch of IIs come out?

For people who interviewed on 10-1: does anyone remember what date in November they said they would be making decisions regarding our group?

They had a slide at our interview day on 10/29...the first two interview dates heard in October, the next three would hear in December, and the last two in March or April. I think.

Last edited:
They had a slide at our interview day on 10/29...the first two interview dates heard in October, the next three would hear in December, and the last two in March or April. I think.
Congratulations!

Just wanted to give an overview of what to expect on the night before interview day and on the day of the interview.

During the night before the interview, VTCSOM hosts a reception at the hotel nearest the medical school. It's an opportunity for you to get your questions answered by current medical students. Good food there.

When you go to the medical school in the morning they won't allow you to bring anything to your interviews. It is best to leave your cell phones, padfolios, pens in your car. If you do bring those items in, then you have to give them up to the front desk and you pick up your items at the end of your interview day. You can take a water bottle in but you won't need it. They have water everywhere. The only thing you actually need to bring is your ID.

After checking in, there is a light breakfast provided where you can mingle with other interviewees. After that, you will be split into two groups. One group interviews first and the second group interviews after a tour. Selection into a group is done at random.

The actual interview is MMI format and that is pretty much all I can say due to confidentiality. After the interview, you get to eat catered lunch.

The tour includes a bus tour of Roanoke and a tour of the medical school. After the tour (or before the tour...I don't remember). They present powerpoint presentations that describe the mission of the school, talk about research, and financial aid info.

After all of that, they give a short talk with current medical students. Then you get to go home.

Cool swag that you get: a pen with the medical school's name on it + name tag (this one doesn't really count tho)

I hope this write up helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to give an overview of what to expect on the night before interview day and on the day of the interview.

During the night before the interview, VTCSOM hosts a reception at the hotel nearest the medical school. It's an opportunity for you to get your questions answered by current medical students. Good food there.

After all of that, they give a short talk with current medical students. Then you get to go home.

Cool swag that you get: a pen with the medical school's name on it + name tag (this one doesn't really count tho)

I hope this write up helps.
Thanks much, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Good luck!

Have there been any more II recently or are they pretty much done for the rest of the year?

Reactions: 2 users
Also wondering if there have been any recent interview invites.

Last edited:
Have there been any more II recently or are they pretty much done for the rest of the year?
I doubt they're done because they have a total of 6 interview dates (1 each month starting in august), which means they have 2 interview dates left.