2016-2017 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They also changed to 7 interview dates this year. I believe the last two are in January and February. Or maybe both February.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an interview offer for January 14th. Worth going or no? It's pretty late in the season and I'm out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview offer for January 14th. Worth going or no? It's pretty late in the season and I'm out of state.
I was debating whether I wanted to go or not (OOS as well) and I was blown away. It was an expensive trip for me, but I felt it was definitely worth it. The curriculum seems really amazing and the current students seem to love the small class size. If you can financially swing it, and haven't gotten accepted at your top choice, I would strongly consider going.

Reactions: 1 users

Go! My best friend had an interview in February as an OOS and she got a straight acceptance (not waitlisted at all)!

Reactions: 2 users

Actually, at my interview the students mentioned that the Med school is (currently) funded by VT and private donors rather than the state of Virginia. This, tuition is the same for in and out of state, and they don't care what % of the class is from Virginia. This could change in the coming years, though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II today. complete mid-August. OOS, low MCAT, non-trad

This MMI will be fun.

do they send II on the same day for certain interview days?

Congrats when were you complete?
Not sure what you mean by complete, I submitted the secondary application in early September. I'm OOS and have been accepted at a few other places so not sure if making the trip is worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the 10/1 interviewees will be hearing back?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when people when the 10/1 interviewees will be hearing back?

I interviewed 11/19 and they said the october and november interviewees should hear back in December.

As for when in December I have no clue and literally might expire before Christmas from all the waiting.

I interviewed 11/19 and they said the october and november interviewees should hear back in December.

As for when in December I have no clue and literally might expire before Christmas from all the waiting.
I called a few days ago and they said decisions won't be released until the week of December 19th

I called a few days ago and they said decisions won't be released until the week of December 19th

Aw darn, I was hoping a week earlier so I could possibly avoid putting down a DO deposit -.-

Thanks for checking and letting us know! :D

Did anyone else NOT submit a secondary within their time frame and get an email along the lines of "Our review of your app shows you are a competitive candidate. If you haven't been invited to interview with as many medical schools as you had hoped, we encourage you to complete our secondary"??

Not sure if they send this to everyone... Or how many interview spots they have left. Trying to determine if it's worth applying this late

Thanks for any info!

Did anyone else NOT submit a secondary within their time frame and get an email along the lines of "Our review of your app shows you are a competitive candidate. If you haven't been invited to interview with as many medical schools as you had hoped, we encourage you to complete our secondary"??

Not sure if they send this to everyone... Or how many interview spots they have left. Trying to determine if it's worth applying this late

Thanks for any info!

I got this in late October and submitted in November. Hopefully it does mean something but I haven't heard anything since and it doesn't seem like IIs have been going out?

I was marked complete late September, ~70 LizzyM, TONS of research, and I really love this school. I know they only interview once a month, but do you guys have any idea when the next batch of II will be sent out? *fingers crossed*

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if Virginia Tech replaces OChem II Lab with Biochem Lab?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the adcom has started making acceptance calls for the December notifications yet?

Yes, I hope to get a call soon. Someone mentioned the December acceptances would be out this week.

Does anyone know if the adcom has started making acceptance calls for the December notifications yet?
I got a call today from a blocked number, but unfortunately I missed the call, and no voicemail. It was probably nothing, but is now a mystery in my mind nonetheless lol.

I got a call today from a blocked number, but unfortunately I missed the call, and no voicemail. It was probably nothing, but is now a mystery in my mind nonetheless lol.
I know people who got in last year. If you want your mystery solved, the number starts with 540 and will come from Roanoke

The VTCSOM Admissions team will be making acceptance phone calls for the Oct/Nov interview groups starting today! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone received any calls / is anyone else freaking out as hard as I am? Also, is today the only day acceptance calls for these groups will be going out, or could some movement happen in the coming days as well?

edit: due to my phenomenal deductive reasoning skills (read: stereotypical premed neuroticism) I figured out that today will likely not be the only day acceptance calls are made, if anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
Has anyone received any calls / is anyone else freaking out as hard as I am? Also, is today the only day acceptance calls for these groups will be going out, or could some movement happen in the coming days as well?

edit: due to my phenomenal deductive reasoning skills (read: stereotypical premed neuroticism) I figured out that today will likely not be the only day acceptance calls are made, if anyone was wondering.
No call yet, also freaking out inside.

This has to be some sort of sick joke by the admissions team

This has to be some sort of sick joke by the admissions team

I mean, I feel better about not having a call knowing nobody else has had one - not in a cut throat way, just in the sense that it makes it more likely that I haven't been glossed over. Although, the reality could be that SDN wasn't well-represented in this batch of acceptances ... :(

I think they usually post when they are done calling, so I'm hoping to still hear something!

Someone I know got a call today, so they are going out! Hopefully there are more tomorrow

Just got an email saying all calls have been made and that my application was moved to the active-pool. Pseudo-deferral email.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it too soon to write a letter of intent or should I wait until April when they will be looking at my file again? I absolutely loved this school and was so disappointed that I did not receive a call yesterday!

Is it too soon to write a letter of intent or should I wait until April when they will be looking at my file again? I absolutely loved this school and was so disappointed that I did not receive a call yesterday!

Your call, but if they mentioned this specifically in the app, I would wait.

I am also distraught that I did not receive a call, but hang in there everyone.

I got accepted by email this morning! I was hoping for a call yesterday and was heartbroken that I didn't get one, but then I woke up to the best news :) :) :)

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone submitted a pre-II update? How have you done so? Have you just emailed a PDF to the admissions email?

I am very fortunate to be one of the individuals admitted to VTC so far in the cycle, and I am really heavily considering this school after visiting. However, I do have a few more questions, and I was wondering if there are any current VTC medical students on this forum that can help me?

Much Appreciated!

does anyone know what "tuition remission scholarship" means? is this reoccurring?

Hello all! I am a first year student here happy to answer questions to the best of my ability!

does anyone know what "tuition remission scholarship" means? is this reoccurring?

From what I know, the scholarship is not "reoccurring" but it would seem students do receive some scholarship money each year depending on the school's budget that year.

Hi @dosk178 . Thanks for volunteering some of your time to answer my questions. I was wondering if you can elaborate some more about VTC's PBL based curriculum. Specifically, can you briefly explain how it works? Do you find it effective? Is there appropriate amount of lectures & examinations to ensure you are learning the material correctly beyond maximizing self-directed learning?

Also, what is living in Roanoke like? Do you and your classmates hang out outside of class? Do you think a car is necessary? I am a West Coast Native so moving to the other side of the country is a bit nerve wracking for me.

I know there's quite a few questions on here, and I have a few more as well. If it works better, possibly I can PM you if you are up to it?

Thanks! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! Happy to help.

First, I'd like to say PBL is a wonderful way to make friends initially, though with only a class of 42 everyone becomes a big family after a couple of months. Basically, your group works through a case with guidance from a faculty facilitator throughout the week. You make two presentations (first year) per week, one based on a topic of the group's choosing and one later in the week on a faculty objective. Personally, I find PBL to be very effective; if you pick topics you know the least about you learn those topics very well. I wouldn't say that the curriculum focuses on either PBL or lecture, but rather both are equally important to our learning.

We definitely hang outside of class, from hiking and playing rec. sports together to going out to bars. There's a lot of outdoors stuff to do in Roanoke, and my sisters appreciated the unique clothing. craft shops and market that were downtown when they visited. I think a car is definitely necessary. There are a good number of Californians in my class, and they all seem to be adjusting well and enjoying it.

PM me if you have more questions @kZamBam778

Does vt have any more II to give out or are they done for the cycle?