*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!

Edit: scheduled for February 10th

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think it was every Friday in February. Honestly I didn't look long I just picked the first date open and signed up.
I counted 6 total dates. Every Friday in Feb plus 1 Saturday and the first Friday in March.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe today is the last day to get interviews haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many interview dates were offered for January?

II...February 11th. Since there were still open dates in March and probably other Saturdays in Feb that they might use, everyone who has yet to get II should keep their hopes up.

Nothing yet. I'm still optimistic though given the fact that there are additional interview dates; however to my understanding, the later you interview the fewer slots there are.

II...February 11th. Since there were still open dates in March and probably other Saturdays in Feb that they might use, everyone who has yet to get II should keep their hopes up.
I chose the 11th because I work full time and don't want to have to take a day off. It's nice that WSU scheduled Saturday interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the stats of those who have gotten interviews thus far?

None here either. Wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get one though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm very non traditional. I'm an engineer with a 3.26 GPA that was honors at my school. I got a 32 on the MCAT. I've applied to over 50 programs in the last 2 years and this is my first and only II. After talking with some people from UW I realized it wasn't a good fit for me so I didn't reapply this year.

I'm really excited about WSU. Go cougs.

Reactions: 1 users
If this process has taught me anything, it's that med school admissions is brutal and some of it comes down to chance and odds I think. I am convinced that many qualified people are turned down every year so don't ever think you're unqualified or unfit. If medicine is what you want to do for your career keep trying and maybe someone will open finally open a door.

^ I'm similar to the above applicant - nontrad with low GPA due to grades from 12 years ago, but a 3.8ish since coming back to school at UW and 30 mcat. I think they will be very cautious about their stats this first year

Nothing. Makes me wonder if I messed up my essays. Submitted 11/16

Last edited:
Am i the only one who chose Feb 10th? Haha

Does anyone know if the one on one part of the interview is open or closed file?

I chose the 11th because I work full time and don't want to have to take a day off. It's nice that WSU scheduled Saturday interviews.
Same here, I work 50+ hours a week and support my family, so Saturdays are key. I do luckily have vacation time at work to use.
What are the stats of those who have gotten interviews thus far?
4.0 GPA, 507 MCAT, non-trad with 10 years mental health and social services experience. I would have a lower GPA if my original university had grades (written evaluations), but lucky for me only my post bach did.

*insert slowpoke image here*

It's rolling admissions?? I chose the last possible interview date (granted, I only had two dates between which to choose)!

After I got rejected from a million schools, I got shoved off my ball and stopped using sdn....

Someone brought up transportation. Is it safe to drive at the end of February/beginning of March? I'm from the "Eastside". I KNOW NOTHING. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

here are my stats: garbage MCAT score, decent BCPM/gpa (from a good school), expired extra-curriculars, but a super awesome post-college life :cool:, part of the special class of *accidentally non-traditional* applicants

I look forward to living closer to "the most important lentil-producing region in the United States". :xf:

*insert slowpoke image here*

It's rolling admissions?? I chose the last possible interview date (granted, I only had two dates between which to choose)!

After I got rejected from a million schools, I got shoved off my ball and stopped using sdn....

Someone brought up transportation. Is it safe to drive at the end of February/beginning of March? I'm from the "Eastside". I KNOW NOTHING. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

here are my stats: garbage MCAT score, decent BCPM/gpa (from a good school), expired extra-curriculars, but a super awesome post-college life :cool:, part of the special class of *accidentally non-traditional* applicants

I look forward to living closer to "the most important lentil-producing region in the United States". :xf:
I also live on the Eastside. I'm driving. I figured with security and the drive to the airport I may save 30min by flying so it wasn't really worth it. I figure the passes could close for avalanche control maybe for up to 2 hrs but I'm willing to take the risk.

I got a good MCAT but I studied engineering at a tough school so my undergrad GPA isn't the best but it was honors at my undergrad. Most med schools didn't seem to care so it's been an uphill battle for me but I'm thankful that WSU invited me for an interview.

You may want to call the admissions office to see if you can move your interview date up though. Keep in mind this is a compressed interview season so I don't know how many decisions they will give out before interviews conclude. They may want to hear everyone out first since this is the charter class. But I'm totally speculating.

Avalanche control?! Do I need chains to drive there? I need to call my WSU friend and ask him what's up.

I see your struggle bus, hopefuldoc24. I'm also really grateful for these schools that are a bit lenient on the numbers. It's really annoying that this kind of system incentivizes us to take fewer risks and easier classes. Congratulations on your II!

Thanks for your advice. 2/24 and 3/3 were the only dates offered at my point. I submitted a "late" secondary. Unfortunately, I don't have a good reason to change my interview date. I'm just thankful to have an II this cycle. If I don't get in this year...well, I can only hope that I will continue to have hope to keep going for another year or two. Yeah, it makes sense that they need to have rolling admissions to poach some applicants if they can as we were discussing earlier in this thread. I do hope they will give those at the end a fighting chance. @@ We'll see.

So what do we think of our chances after interview? 1 in 2? 1 in 4?

Avalanche control?! Do I need chains to drive there? I need to call my WSU friend and ask him what's up.

I see your struggle bus, hopefuldoc24. I'm also really grateful for these schools that are a bit lenient on the numbers. It's really annoying that this kind of system incentivizes us to take fewer risks and easier classes. Congratulations on your II!

Thanks for your advice. 2/24 and 3/3 were the only dates offered at my point. I submitted a "late" secondary. Unfortunately, I don't have a good reason to change my interview date. I'm just thankful to have an II this cycle. If I don't get in this year...well, I can only hope that I will continue to have hope to keep going for another year or two. Yeah, it makes sense that they need to have rolling admissions to poach some applicants if they can as we were discussing earlier in this thread. I do hope they will give those at the end a fighting chance. @@ We'll see.

I sent you a private message.

Any word if they are going to send another batch of interviews?

How many students do you guys expect them to say yes to, keeping in mind that they are only enrolling 60?

According to my calculations...

"Interviews will take place from January through March.[...]
When will I hear a decision regarding my application to the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine?
No later than April 17, 2017" [from WSU website]

January - 4 Fridays
February - 4 Fridays + 1 Saturday (based on sdn posts)
March - at least 1 Friday (3/3), but could have more. There are 5 Fridays in March.

Based on reported dates thus far, that gives us 10 interview dates. But if we assume interviews continue until the end of March on every Friday, there could be perhaps 14 or more.

Each day has 24 applicants. So our lower limit is 24*10, 240 interviewees. If there are 14 dates, that'll make 336 interviewees.

So, I've just estimated that they are interviewing between 240-336.

Based on the chatter in this thread, we are estimating between 1.5(my conservative estimate)-2.5x the class size (n=60). So, my guess is between 90 and 150 offers of admission.

My conclusion is that if we have received an II, that means the acceptance rate from here on out could be between 26.7% to 62.5%.

LOL.

That didn't help me at all.

According to my calculations...

"Interviews will take place from January through March.[...]
When will I hear a decision regarding my application to the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine?
No later than April 17, 2017" [from WSU website]

January - 4 Fridays
February - 4 Fridays + 1 Saturday (based on sdn posts)
March - at least 1 Friday (3/3), but could have more. There are 5 Fridays in March.

Based on reported dates thus far, that gives us 10 interview dates. But if we assume interviews continue until the end of March on every Friday, there could be perhaps 14 or more.

Each day has 24 applicants. So our lower limit is 24*10, 240 interviewees. If there are 14 dates, that'll make 336 interviewees.

So, I've just estimated that they are interviewing between 240-336.

Based on the chatter in this thread, we are estimating between 1.5(my conservative estimate)-2.5x the class size (n=60). So, my guess is between 90 and 150 offers of admission.

My conclusion is that if we have received an II, that means the acceptance rate from here on out could be between 26.7% to 62.5%.

LOL.

That didn't help me at all.
While those numbers seem reasonable a 26.7 vs 62.5 chance is a big difference. That's the problem with speculating. Lol. We'll all just have to let it play out.

Can someone find out or the early interviewers post if the one on one part of the interview is open or closed file? I'm hoping it's open so they already have a brief sense of us and our backgrounds. It would make breaking the ice easier haha.

Last edited:
Any word if they are going to send another batch of interviews?

I called them yesterday with no answer. Left a message. I have a bad feeling if most dates have already been selected.

Really happy I have an interview at another school with how WSU's cycle is panning out, even though I was really high on them a couple weeks ago. One thing I know for sure is turning in your secondary earlier was not beneficial.

Really happy I have an interview at another school with how WSU's cycle is panning out, even though I was really high on them a couple weeks ago. One thing I know for sure is turning in your secondary earlier was not beneficial.

I relate to every word of this lol

I agree. I turned mine in early November

I was about to say their people are probably on vacation this week.

True but they weren't picking up the phone this week so who knows. Anyways it's not a big deal for me to know if the interview is open or closed file beforehand. I'm sure we'll here from the January interviewees how it goes.

It says on the website that we have 7 minutes per MMI station. Does anyone know if this includes the 2 minute prep time before we enter the room, meaning we only speak for 5 minutes?

It says on the website that we have 7 minutes per MMI station. Does anyone know if this includes the 2 minute prep time before we enter the room, meaning we only speak for 5 minutes?
Don't know. Post if you find out. I wouldn't stress out about it too much. You don't want to over rehearse and sound like you're reading a script. Just be familiar with current events and issues in healthcare and related topics like ethics and be yourself and I think you'll do fine. If you need time to think about something just say. That's an interesting question let me think about it. You don't want dead air in the room.

I called them yesterday with no answer. Left a message. I have a bad feeling if most dates have already been selected.

hey just curious, out of your acceptances what is your top choice so far?

Generally yes, thats how MMI's work. I found that the time didn't really matter one way or another at mine, it wasn't like we were sitting around silent, and I didn't feel super rushed on any of them either. You just have to learn how to wrap up a convo when the one minute bell dings so your not left mid thought.