2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any of the current students talk about whether it is possible to get by in Dothan without a car? I am from NYC so I am so used to walking everywhere, I am really trying to avoid bringing a car if I can. But my chances are bleak since Dothan doesn't have an Uber either. But generally are things walking distance or would you recommend that we absolutely do have a car?

There's several students from NYC who got by their first two years without a car. You'll have to make really good friends for them to drive you around.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any of the current students talk about whether it is possible to get by in Dothan without a car? I am from NYC so I am so used to walking everywhere, I am really trying to avoid bringing a car if I can. But my chances are bleak since Dothan doesn't have an Uber either. But generally are things walking distance or would you recommend that we absolutely do have a car?

Native alabamian here, and I recommend you have a car. Dothan is not exactly a walking distance type of place. In my opinion, your options are to either have a car, or be mooching rides off of your buds lol. You could probably survive w/o, but if you don't want to worry about having to find a ride every time you need groceries, then ya know

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call today from Mr. Willis- ACCEPTED! Interviewed 01/26. Super excited! Long time lurker, and wanted to share the news with you guys! Thanks fam for all the support! I'll be happy to share stats and tips if anyone wants to PM me!

Reactions: 7 users

I did not have a car my first semester and I'm from CA. Thought it was fine. But then it becomes such an inconvenience when you run out of food and your friend did not yet, so yeah... I shipped my car over and now I can go grocery at my own pace without bothering anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone who already interviewed know where we meet for interview day?

anyone who already interviewed know where we meet for interview day?
At the school, front lobby. They direct you into a conference room directly off the main atrium.

Do they send a confirmation email or something before your interview with all the details like time to arrive, schedule of the day, etc.?

Any thoughts on if I should send a thank you email to Dr. Lenz or Dr. Reynolds? I just interviewed this Friday

Any thoughts on if I should send a thank you email to Dr. Lenz or Dr. Reynolds? I just interviewed this Friday
Send it to whomever you interviewed with, that’s what I did.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree with post above. A thank you email to your interviewers is sufficient. Your emails to Dr. Reynolds or Lenz may get lost in the amount of emails they get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! This school was awesome btw for those who are interviewing soon

Is it too late to apply you guys think?

I called them Friday and they said there were still spots open.

501 MCAT 3.7 sGPA URM

501 MCAT 3.7 sGPA URM

Did they say if there were many spots left or only a few? I'm interviewing mid March and was under the impression that I was interviewing for the wait list. Oh and a heads up, right now the only available interview spots are Apr 6th (the last date they have on the schedule).

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook page for accepted students?

501 MCAT 3.7 sGPA URM
Apply, if you haven’t been accepted elsewhere and have roughly $100 to spare (primary and secondary fee). It’s an awesome school, it’s worth the money

Anybody else still waiting for a matriculation package? o_O

I haven't felt paranoid in awhile, so naturally my brain's like, "lols, nope, you're due for a panic attack".

I haven't felt paranoid in awhile, so naturally my brain's like, "lols, nope, you're due for a panic attack".
They emailed them recently. Maybe email them to ask? I've already started working on mine

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I'm waiting too! They said they were going to send them out by Feb 1st. I was just recently accepted and paid my deposit on 2/1 so maybe thats the hold up?

I'm waiting too! They said they were going to send them out by Feb 1st. I was just recently accepted and paid my deposit on 2/1 so maybe thats the hold up?
Yeah, yours seems pretty recent. So maybe give it a bit longer and apparently keep an eye out on your spam folder :rolleyes:. Grats on your acceptance!

Nvm...got it. Stupid overprotective spam folder
You might want to check your spam folder and see if you haven't missed any financial aid emails as well.

Hey everyone! I'm a first year at ACOM, and I'll be renting out a room for the rest of the semester for any prospective students who would like to stay with a student during their interview or any visits. I have a 2/2 at Magnolia Preserve, so you will have your own room and bathroom. PM me for pics and details! And good luck to all of you on future interviews!

Hi everyone! I interviewed at ACOM last month and I was waitlisted unfortunately. ACOM is my top choice school, and I'm pretty upset about it. Would a letter of intent help my chances or would it just be a waste of time on my part?

Hi everyone! I interviewed at ACOM last month and I was waitlisted unfortunately. ACOM is my top choice school, and I'm pretty upset about it. Would a letter of intent help my chances or would it just be a waste of time on my part?

Wouldn't hurt to send a letter of intent!

Would anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into this school? Also does this school screen out for low MCAT?
Stats mcat 498: 125, 121,126,126 GPA:3.96, one publication, Biochemistry major, urm Hispanic, Texas resident. For 2018-2019 cycle.

Would anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into this school? Also does this school screen out for low MCAT?
Stats mcat 498: 125, 121,126,126 GPA:3.96, one publication, Biochemistry major, urm Hispanic, Texas resident. For 2018-2019 cycle.

Just my opinion, and don't get my wrong I'm super stoked to be going to ACOM, but I would strongly recommend you boost that MCAT and try to get into your state schools. Texas state schools (TCOM, A&M, UT San Antonio, TX Tech) are WAY more affordable than just about anywhere else for in-state residents. The extra 400 bucks you pay for another MCAT and perhaps another 100 on prep materials (the Next Step practice exams helped me a ton) could be an investment that saves you well over 100k+ in education costs.

To answer your question though, when I interviewed, they told us the average MCAT in our interview group (pretty early on so may have been inflated) was a 505. Not to say you couldn't get in with your stellar GPA, but it may be a battle particularly considering a low Bio/Biochem section score. Best of luck to you!

I was accepted with a 498/3.06 undergrad gpa I believe. Also had two masters GPAs. With that said yea I think you could definitely get in but if you haven’t applied already then wait for next cycle and retake MCAT for a Texas Acceptance. You have a good chance as Hispanic URM and a high GPA, much cheaper.

Interviewing 2/23! Super excited!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just my opinion, and don't get my wrong I'm super stoked to be going to ACOM, but I would strongly recommend you boost that MCAT and try to get into your state schools. Texas state schools (TCOM, A&M, UT San Antonio, TX Tech) are WAY more affordable than just about anywhere else for in-state residents. The extra 400 bucks you pay for another MCAT and perhaps another 100 on prep materials (the Next Step practice exams helped me a ton) could be an investment that saves you well over 100k+ in education costs.

To answer your question though, when I interviewed, they told us the average MCAT in our interview group (pretty early on so may have been inflated) was a 505. Not to say you couldn't get in with your stellar GPA, but it may be a battle particularly considering a low Bio/Biochem section score. Best of luck to you!

Just to clarify one point, while that may have been your specific group's average, 505 average MCAT reflects the total average from last few years at ACOM as well :) That is typically how schools report their averages. Congrats on your acceptance!

Just to clarify one point, while that may have been your specific group's average, 505 average MCAT reflects the total average from last few years at ACOM as well :) That is typically how schools report their averages. Congrats on your acceptance!
505 is not acoms past classes average it has been ~501/502 source: paper they hand out at interview

Yeah if I recall correctly, I remember reading the average was a 501.5.

505 is not acoms past classes average it has been ~501/502 source: paper they hand out at interview

I am directly quoting something told to me at my ambassador training when asked "what is the average MCAT at ACOM?" :) Maybe it was a little lower last year. My apologies for any discrepancy!

I am directly quoting something told to me at my ambassador training when asked "what is the average MCAT at ACOM?" :) Maybe it was a little lower last year. My apologies for any discrepancy!

Yep, I think they told us the overall class average was a 502 from prior years. However, based on the averages at our interview group and what they told us, I expect that this average will rise over the next few years.

Yep, I think they told us the overall class average was a 502 from prior years. However, based on the averages at our interview group and what they told us, I expect that this average will rise over the next few years.

Agreed. Which means an even heartier congratulations to those of you accepted, and keep it up to those of you waiting to hear this cycle. It gets more competitive every year!

Hello! I am going to be part of the new incoming class at ACOM and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle ACOM's tuition? Is it smart to take on this big of a loan?

Hello! I am going to be part of the new incoming class at ACOM and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle ACOM's tuition? Is it smart to take on this big of a loan?
lol omg yeaaaah this has been on my mind too. I've been slowly planning things out, working on a budget and just getting the financial aid submitted first. It's okay, we'll suffer together.

If you have questions about finances, financial aid, or loans, you can email Travis Cobb ([email protected]). He's very helpful!

We’re all gonna be poor together
I’m just kidding. I have been trying to see how I could cut future expenses even though I don’t know what some of them will be. It’s a little confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any current students have opinions on the MPH program with Samford? I got an email and was curious how helpful it is. At first I thought it was Stanford, but it's Samford.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Any current students have opinions on the MPH program with Stamford? I got an email and was curious how helpful it is. At first I thought it was Stanford, but it's Stamford.

actually, it's Samford

Anyone from the Feb 9th interview hear anything?