2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any incoming students want to move in early in summerfield in may or june? i got a private 1 bedroom apartment available.

I got a house since summerfield (mainly just the management) sucks, but if you really want to move in and havn't found a spot let me know ASAP. You do have the advantage of walking to class and being around classmates but the management just in general is low tier.

any incoming students want to move in early in summerfield in may or june? i got a private 1 bedroom apartment available.

I got a house since summerfield (mainly just the management) sucks, but if you really want to move in and havn't found a spot let me know ASAP. You do have the advantage of walking to class and being around classmates but the management just in general is low tier.
I want it!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the history behind why ACOM is categorized as a private entity? It seems like they're able to get some funding through local taxes , at least that's how the original escrow was built.

Any current ACOM students know when the school will release the match list for the class of 2018? Very interested to see how this class matched .

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current ACOM students know when the school will release the match list for the class of 2018? Very interested to see how this class matched .

Last year they released it April. Hopefully April this year as well!

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take to hear back after the interview?

Hey guys I got accepted about 5 months ago. Just wanted to drop in and say hello to my fellow potential classmates!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys I got accepted about 5 months ago. Just wanted to drop in and say hello to my fellow potential classmates!

Congrats on your acceptance! There's a fb group for ACOM class of 2022 if you haven't joined it yet.

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for Fall 2018

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for Fall 2018

They have not released that information yet. However, it has been the last week of September or first week of October for the last couple of years.

Hey guys,
Has anyone that was placed on the WL been accepted yet?

I was interviewed on 1/19 and got waitlisted. I haven't heard anything from them yet :( They said they would start taking people off the waitlist in April. I'm hopeful!!! Sadly they don't rank their waitlist - that's what Mr. Willis told me.

Last edited:
If I were to submit a letter of intent to ACOM, who should I send the letter to? I was thinking of sending it to Mr. Willis since he was really the only one that stayed in contact with me before and after my interview. What do you all think?

I send all my updates to Mr. Willis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interviewed on 1/19 and got waitlisted. I haven't heard anything from them yet :( They said they would start taking people off the waitlist in April. I'm hopeful!!! Sadly they don't rank their waitlist - that's what Mr. Willis told me.
At my interview (3/2), Dr. Reynolds said they have an internal waitlist ranking that they don't publish outside of admissions committee. I could have heard incorrectly, but that's how I understood it. They mentioned they weigh heavily applicants that show a lot of interest.

I’m so sorry for that and hope you get accepted! I interviewed there recently and im anxious to hear back.. do you mind sharing your stats ?

how many letters of recommendation did you guys include in your application? please and thank you!

I’m so sorry for that and hope you get accepted! I interviewed there recently and im anxious to hear back.. do you mind sharing your stats ?
MCAT 501, sGPA 3.1, cGPA 3.3, did lots of volunteering and leadership back in college. I'm hoping that being well-rounded makes me an okay applicant at their school... Mr. Willis did say I was in their top half of the waitlist but I don't even know how big their waitlist is :arghh:
I'm wishing you good news on your interview!

Reactions: 1 users
how many letters of recommendation did you guys include in your application? please and thank you!

Hmmm... I remember including 5-6? One from a DO, one from my volunteer club advisor, one from my non-profit job, two from science prof, and one from sociology prof... something like that.

When is the deposit usually due ?

It depends on when you were accepted. the later in the cycle the sooner the deposit is due. For me it was one month after acceptance. If I'm not mistaken right now its two weeks. Ill see if I can find a link for you, but you will get an email with all of these instructions once you are accepted.

Interviewed 3/16 and just got a WL email. I think they only have 2 more interview dates, so hopefully there will be some movement soon.

Does anyone know how much time you time you get to study for step 1/comlex level 1? (dedicated)

Does anyone know how much time you time you get to study for step 1/comlex level 1? (dedicated)

Right now there's a mandatory 4 week board prep class that ends around Memorial Day. Then you have about a month of your own board prep time. ACOM requires everyone to take COMLEX 1 before the end of June. You can take USMLE step 1 whenever.

Reactions: 3 users
dang I thought you would have gotten in! let us pray for waitlist movement.
Yes, let us pray! I thought my interview went well. Far better than the other. We actually had a conversation. I agree with you. Its a great program. I don't know how anyone could walk away from this program and think otherwise.

I'm flying into Pensacola today on the 21st and then taking a rental car to Dothan. I'm landing at 6:20 p.m. in Pensacola. If anyone needs a ride let me know.

Bummer! when did you interview? did they mention where you were on the list? I've seen on other ACOM threads, applicants noting they knew their "tier" placement????
They didn't' say anything about my "tier". Interviewed on mid-Feb and they said they would accept quite a few from our interview date. Also said they don't reject many that they interview.

They didn't' say anything about my "tier". Interviewed on mid-Feb and they said they would accept quite a few from our interview date. Also said they don't reject many that they interview.
Why less rejections? To have a healthy waitlist? I wonder if they pull off waitlist based on interview date...meaning those that interviewed in Oct will be called first.

Anyone know the 2018 match results for ACOM?
They do not have the official results out yet. We only know by what people post on Facebook and by word-of-mouth.

Last edited:
Why less rejections? To have a healthy waitlist? I wonder if they pull off waitlist based on interview date...meaning those that interviewed in Oct will be called first.

Having a big waitlist helps them fill the class especially during May when big deadlines come around. The dean said those deadlines tend to cause large chain reactions and that movement from the waitlist is expected. I doubt they strictly go base off of when you interviewed, but use a ranking system (GPA, MCAT, Interview, LOIs, etc) to decide who to pull.

Reactions: 1 users
for those who got waitlisted, did they send a written decision in mail?

Has anybody been accepted from those waitlisted?

I might be losing my mind, but I remember seeing a super helpful post by a current med student regarding dress code. Does anyone have that information? I've looked through several pages and can't find anything

I emailed admissions recently to touch base and was infkrmed I am on the “second priority list”. I haven’t interviewed yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew what chances I had with this status? Thank you!

I might be losing my mind, but I remember seeing a super helpful post by a current med student regarding dress code. Does anyone have that information? I've looked through several pages and can't find anything

Business causal or scrubs for regular classes.

OPP attire (basically gym clothes) or scrubs for OPP class.

Business casual plus white coat for guest lecture classes.

Business "professional" plus white coat for SIM and OSCEs.

I emailed admissions recently to touch base and was infkrmed I am on the “second priority list”. I haven’t interviewed yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew what chances I had with this status? Thank you!
I dont even know what that means!! did you ask them about that term ?

Business causal or scrubs for regular classes.

OPP attire (basically gym clothes) or scrubs for OPP class.

Business casual plus white coat for guest lecture classes.

Business "professional" plus white coat for SIM and OSCEs.

Would agree with the above with the exception of the third point. It’s business professional (or at least it’s supposed to be) for guest speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile