2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since the waitlist is ranked, has anyone called to see their position on the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I specifically remember Adrian saying on my interview day that they will not let you see your position on the waitlist :(

Members don't see this ad.

You are right, it is ranked, BUT they won't tell you your position on the waitlist. They will proceed according to a magic formula..80%, grades plus 20%, interview....which= a grade and a position on the waitlist. Then the highest grades will be pulled out first etc... In summary, waitlist position=faith in an unknown God or position, you might be there or even close, but you'll never know for sure.

Do you know if the 80% is ONLY determined your MCAT/GPA? Or is the 80% determined by your entire application (GPA/MCAT/extracurriculars/LoR etc)

Why the change? You were so excited about getting an offer! Just curious
I decided to accept an offer at ARCOM. I was completely excited and I am truly flattered to have been accepted, but ARCOM offers federal loans whereas BCOM doesn't. I would have chosen BCOM over ARCOM if it wasn't for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist movement is still going on. I got the phone call this morning. However, I will be turning down my seat. I hope one of you gets it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlist movement is still going on. I got the phone call this morning. However, I will be turning down my seat. I hope one of you gets it :)
Congrats! Will you be attending school elsewhere? Do you mind sharing stats, interview date, and state residency status?

Congrats! Will you be attending school elsewhere? Do you mind sharing stats, interview date, and state residency status?
Thank you! I am going elsewhere.

Stats- cgpa: 3.7 sgpa:3.6 MCAT: 512 OOS. Interviewed at the end of August .

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty ridiculous someone with your stats got waitlisted at BCOM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It was a pretty rough interview. I felt like I was being grilled. Maybe that was the problem, but who knows. Applying to med school feels like such a crapshoot.

I think the 80% is determined mostly by your mcat/gpa although your lors and extracurriculars "might" help a little bit.....I might be wrong, but based on my own personal experience, schools usually privilege candidates with decent/great mcat/gpa scores even if they do not have a lot of extracurriculars. although it also depends on how soon/late within the cycle you apply. if you have a decent mcat/gpa, lors and extracurriculars, apply early and you will increase your chances of getting accepted into med school.

Any waitlist movement?

There have been students posting saying that they were called off the waitlist! It's hard to tell how fast its going but there have also been a couple people saying they were giving up their seat so hopefully its moving quickly.

There have been students posting saying that they were called off the waitlist! It's hard to tell how fast its going but there have also been a couple people saying they were giving up their seat so hopefully its moving quickly.
Do you mean during this week?, or during the past month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean during this week?, or during the past month?
I think if you scroll up a few messages someone got off the waitlist this week but will be declining the seat.

Hopefully, there will be more than just one person a week, otherwise we’re going to be in the waitlist forever!!.:)

You have to assume that there are a bunch of people that get accepted that do not post on sdn. If you look at last year’s thread, there was over 100 people that got pulled off the deferred list (no deferred list this year so just waitlist). But no where close to 100 people reported on sdn that they got pulled, no where close to even half that reported.

Hahah, im sure there is more movement than that! Not everyone posts on sdn, but the wait is still brutal

All right, so 3 months till August(counting may), and around 100 candidates being pulled off the waitlist = 8? Each week... then I’d better start applying for the next cycle.

You could try calling admissions/Adrian and asking how many people have been pulled off so far and how many people remain on the waitlist. Probably the only way to know for sure

Just spoke with someone on the phone. They have about 12-15 spots left and have gone down about 40 people on the waitlist. He did say that since its late in the cycle more people are declining their acceptance since they have made other plans.

Just spoke with someone on the phone. They have about 12-15 spots left and have gone down about 40 people on the waitlist. He did say that since its late in the cycle more people are declining their acceptance since they have made other plans.

Whoa whoa is this coming from someone at admissions? Also when you say “they have gone down about 40 people on the waitlist” do you mean that’s how many people they have accepted off the waitlist so far or do you mean thats how many people remain on the waitlist?

Yeah I asked Adrian about it. What I mean is if there are about 200 people on the waitlist, they have so far extended an offer to about 40 people, but not all of them accepted, of course. He said he anticipates to send out another 30-40 offers for the remaining spots. However, I think he could potentially call more people off the waitlist if people continue to turn down the acceptances.

Yeah I asked Adrian about it. What I mean is if there are about 200 people on the waitlist, they have so far extended an offer to about 40 people, but not all of them accepted, of course. He said he anticipates to send out another 30-40 offers for the remaining spots. However, I think he could potentially call more people off the waitlist if people continue to turn down the acceptances.

Got it. Did he say why they are waiting to fill the current 12-15 open spots? Seems strange to me they immediately send our acceptances to fill open spots when one opens up

Got it. Did he say why they are waiting to fill the current 12-15 open spots? Seems strange to me they immediately send our acceptances to fill open spots when one opens up
I don't think they are waiting? I think he meant they have been sending out acceptances but people have been declining so they have to keep sending out more.

I don't think they are waiting? I think he meant they have been sending out acceptances but people have been declining so they have to keep sending out more.

I see. Well probably doesn’t not seem to be on our side :( hopefully they send out more than 30-40 more acceptances. Guess we will have to wait and see

Let's try to be positive! For all we know, we could be in those 30 people being offered a spot :)

Withdrew my acceptance today, we had a family tragedy and moving wasn't in the cards. Hope the seat goes to one of you lovelies.

I am sorry to hear this. Could you maybe defer until next year?
I could but I decided to reapply to keep my location options open. I'm on the waitlist at a school that's a half a mile from my house so I'm hoping I get that last minute phone call/email but who knows at this point.

Well, it is sort of like good news and not so good. It’s good cos it means we are still in the game. However, what puzzles me is the fact that at this point, they also know who is interested in accepting and who is not, (people call, write emails etc), so why not extend the offer to those candidates? I understand that they need to be fair with all the candidates, and that some need to receive the offer first ( cos of grades etc) even if eventually they turn it down. That’s why we are ranked, but at the same time, if we are ranked, how come we do not know our position in the list? I’m sorry but that is not very logical. As someone said above, some candidates are declining their acceptances cos we are late in the cycle and they have other plans, same thing that can happen to some of us if we keep waiting. SO let’s help one another here people!!!! Keep the hope!
I agree, its really frustrating. I think Adrian is really trying his best to help applicants stay hopeful but also not giving false hope. Last year they didnt even go into the waitlist but the year before that they went through over 100 people so its hard to say what will happen this year. Hopefully it works for all of us! :)

I could but I decided to reapply to keep my location options open. I'm on the waitlist at a school that's a half a mile from my house so I'm hoping I get that last minute phone call/email but who knows at this point.
I see and it is totally understandable given your situation. I really hope you receive a call for the school you are currently waitlisted. Good luck!!

Rooting for you! Hope it all works out :)

I haven't heard anything back since they WL'ed me in September. I'm wondering where I am on the WL.

Waitlisted in September, accepted a couple days ago. Will not be attending. Best of luck!

how strict are they on the 3.0 GPA pre-secondary screen? is it a computer-automated one?

I see. Well probably doesn’t not seem to be on our side :( hopefully they send out more than 30-40 more acceptances. Guess we will have to wait and see
any news? any waitlist movement?

Still haven't heard anything :\ Getting super anxious lol

Last week when I spoke with Adrian, he said the waitlist started with 190 applicants and 50 offers have been made so far. More offers are expected to go out at a faster pace because it's late in the cycle already. Adrian has made some more offers this morning as well. I was not given info on how many more offers went out this morning, just that my status has not changed and I am in the top 100. I am going to be patient and wait...

Last week when I spoke with Adrian, he said the waitlist started with 190 applicants and 50 offers have been made so far. More offers are expected to go out at a faster pace because it's late in the cycle already. Adrian has made some more offers this morning as well. I was not given info on how many more offers went out this morning, just that my status has not changed and I am in the top 100. I am going to be patient and wait...

He was able to tell you that you were in the top 100?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sounds like you have a good chance of hopefully getting in! -knock on wood-

There's still hope for those wanting to get off the waitlist. I just got a call today accepting me off the waitlist. I have already committed to another school so hopefully one of you get it:).

Just got off the phone with Adrian. He said about 14 offers went out this morning. Applicants have until 5 pm Wednesday to deposit their money to confirm admission. Total of about 60 waitlist applicants has been offered admission. After 5 pm Wednesday, Adrian will look at the waitlist again and send out another round of offers on Thursday morning. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hey y’all was accepted yesterday off the waitlist but will be declining the acceptance good luck to those waiting still!

502 MCAT, 3.46 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 500+ hours of volunteering, 100 hours shadowing, 1000+ clinical experience, first-gen college student, OOS (from Minnesota).
Congrats on the acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my acceptance today so a spot should be opening up soon! Good luck to everyone on the WL! :)

Has anyone else managed to talk to someone from admissions/get any updates? Like how many acceptances off the waitlist they've offered so far, etc?

Reactions: 4 users