2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else managed to talk to someone from admissions/get any updates? Like how many acceptances off the waitlist they've offered so far, etc?

Yeaaaa talked to em last Friday & they said they pulled 14 people off the WL. The person I was talking to said that they're not sure how many people paid the deposit, but based on that, they were planning on sending some more acceptances on Tuesday (yesterday) and Wednesday (today).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeaaaa talked to em last Friday & they said they pulled 14 people off the WL. The person I was talking to said that they're not sure how many people paid the deposit, but based on that, they were planning on sending some more acceptances on Tuesday (yesterday) and Wednesday (today).

Someone said they pulled off 14 people last monday, does that mean they pulled off 14 more later in the week? I think someone said they planned on sending out more acceptances on last thursday. Either way, hope they also extend some offers today too

Just got the call!!!! Accepted!!!!! Keep your hopes up!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the phone with Adrian. He said they are down to about 100 people off the waitlist, they made about 15 offers yesterday. He said that at the rate that its going, he thinks about 3/4 of the people will be accepted off the waitlist (about 140 people total). He also said that soon he will send out emails to people on the bottom of the waitlist saying that they will no longer be considered and that as long as you don't get that email you have a decent shot of being accepted. Everyone keep your hopes up! :)

Reactions: 6 users
I just got off the phone with Adrian. He said they are down to about 100 people off the waitlist, they made about 15 offers yesterday. He said that at the rate that its going, he thinks about 3/4 of the people will be accepted off the waitlist (about 140 people total). He also said that soon he will send out emails to people on the bottom of the waitlist saying that they will no longer be considered and that as long as you don't get that email you have a decent shot of being accepted. Everyone keep your hopes up! :)
I can confirm this. Received a similar statement yesterday! Looks like things are definitely moving :D

Reactions: 4 users
Did they specify when they would be sending that email out?

Reactions: 3 users
Would people mind chiming in with the lender they went with and the rate they got, as well as whether they went fixed or variable? Many Thanks

Does that mean that BCOM has called about 100 people off the waitlist? Or they have 100 people on their waitlist?

Does that mean that BCOM has called about 100 people off the waitlist? Or they have 100 people on their waitlist?
That they already called. I talked to people and they said around 160 people are on the waitlist

I also called Adrian today and from my understanding, they have already called about 100 people on the waitlist. He said that they have called half of the people on the waitlist (so WL started with 200ish people). That’s all assuming I understood him correctly!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Correction, when I called last week, they informed me that they were down to 140 on the waitlist.
I'm confused, I was told the waitlist started with 190 people and that they went through about half of the people on the waitlist?

I'm confused, I was told the waitlist started with 190 people and that they went through about half of the people on the waitlist?

This sounds more right because like 3 weeks ago I was told they had pulled 60 people from the waitlist after starting at around 190. If there was 140 left on the waitlist that would mean they hadn’t even pulled 60 off yet. I’m sure what you heard is right (I hope so for all of us lol)

This sounds more right because like 3 weeks ago I was told they had pulled 60 people from the waitlist after starting at around 190. If there is 140 left on the waitlist currently that would mean they hadn’t even pulled 60 off yet. I’m sure what you heard is right (I hope so for all of us lol)

This is what I was told as well

Reactions: 1 user
It depresses me to know I wasnt even top 50% on the waitlist :(

It’s okay! You’re not alone here, and a lot of people are in the same boat. Just gotta keep swimming and stay positive. Don’t let your rank on a waitlist bring you down. It doesn’t define how effective of a doctor you’ll be. It’s going to happen, it just a matter of when.

Reactions: 6 users
Don’t worry. They were a mess this year. I had a very close friend got waitlisted here, but got accepted to THREE other medical schools. One being WesternU which is VERY competitive. The way they determine who should be accepted is very skiddish. This same guy had 4.0 sGPA 4.0 cGPA killer everything and kind hearted guy.

Don’t worry. They were a mess this year. I had a very close friend got waitlisted here, but got accepted to THREE other medical schools. One being WesternU which is VERY competitive. The way they determine who should be accepted is very skiddish. This same guy had 4.0 sGPA 4.0 cGPA killer everything and kind hearted guy.

LOL, that pretty much sums up BCOM

Fit to school/mission is also important

You guys are right, they started off with 190, pulled so far 50 from wl=140, they were expecting to pull another 50 from the waitlist, which means there should be around 90 in the wl. What I was not expecting to hear is that they were expecting to pull 3/4 from the wl this year, which should mean we should go down, eventually, to roughly 45/50. Now, how are they going to go about it........we'll see.
Do they email or call for the acceptance offer?

It’s okay! You’re not alone here, and a lot of people are in the same boat. Just gotta keep swimming and stay positive. Don’t let your rank on a waitlist bring you down. It doesn’t define how effective of a doctor you’ll be. It’s going to happen, it just a matter of when.
That's true, thanks :)

What schools want is such an enigma to me. :O

You guys are right, they started off with 190, pulled so far 50 from wl=140, they were expecting to pull another 50 from the waitlist, which means there should be around 90 in the wl. What I was not expecting to hear is that they were expecting to pull 3/4 from the wl this year, which should mean we should go down, eventually, to roughly 45/50. Now, how are they going to go about it........we'll see.
I think thats where everyone is confused though, because a few of us that called on friday were told that they already pulled 100 people off the waitlist at this point. So currently there should be about 100 left, not 140? Either way I guess its not that important, as long as we can get pulled off in the end!

I just got a call and got pulled off the wait list. They gave me 48 hours to decide, currently factoring in some things (cough $3000 deposit) to see it's worth surrendering a seat at ICOM and coming here. Any advice?

Reactions: 5 users
I just got a call and got pulled off the wait list. They gave me 48 hours to decide, currently factoring in some things (cough $3000 deposit) to see it's worth surrendering a seat at ICOM and coming here. Any advice?
I don't know much about ICOM except that you would be in the inaugural class. That itself might be a disadvantage since you don't have any older students to help guide you or give advice.

@ihazmoo, (Idk why the quote thing didn’t post) Go with your gut and go where ever you felt most “at-home”, because honestly you’re spending a couple hundred grand on your medical education, and it better be someplace you fit well at. Otherwise, you’re not going to get the most out of it. I know this sounds dumb, but try not looking at the 3 grand as a deciding factor. It goes towards your tuition anyway, and it’s a small price to pay if it means going to school some place where you’re happy and comfortable. On another note, one of the scribes I worked with went to ICOM and loved it. I think he matched into surgery and is starting residency in a few days.

Go with your gut and go where ever you felt most “at-home”, because honestly you’re spending a couple hundred grand on your medical education, and it better be someplace you fit well at. Otherwise, you’re not going to get the most out of it. I know this sounds dumb, but try not looking at the 3 grand as a deciding factor. It goes towards your tuition anyway, and it’s a small price to pay if it means going to school some place where you’re happy and comfortable. On another note, one of the scribes I worked with went to ICOM and loved it. I think he matched into surgery and is starting residency in a few days.
Couldn't have, its ICOMs first class

ACCEPTED! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! NOW WHAT DO I DO?!

Reactions: 7 users

Go with ICOM, ignorance is sometimes bliss. It might be cold, but you'll also be in a larger city (proximity too).

I would go with BCOM. You'll be the third class so they have had two years to figure out what works. I know from reading on this thread that inaugural class of BCOM had issues and was a difficult adjustment on both faculty and students. I personally would not want to be in an inaugural class.

Just out of sheer curiosity, can any current students tell me what laptop we get?

I was accepted Tuesday, paid my deposit Wednesday. When do we generally get the follow up email about white coat and such? I'm having a really hard time getting a hold of anyone at the school and I have a ton of questions.

I was accepted Tuesday, paid my deposit Wednesday. When do we generally get the follow up email about white coat and such? I'm having a really hard time getting a hold of anyone at the school and I have a ton of questions.

You should be getting them already, but i just attached the emails regarding white coat ceremony, health insurance, and BLS training below just in case you didn't get them.
White coat.png
Insurance.png
BLS Training.png

Just to reiterate a question above, what type of laptop do new students get? Also, can anyone give a little info on what happens during the orientation week?

Just to reiterate a question above, what type of laptop do new students get? Also, can anyone give a little info on what happens during the orientation week?

These past two years it’s been a Microsoft Surface, but a current student said they may change it to a ThinkPad this year.

Does anyone know when the first day of orientation and first day of class are?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just got a call saying I got accepted, however I have declined. Hopefully one of you guys who are still waiting get it!

Anyone have any updates from admissions?