2017-2018 East Carolina University (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't mind me asking, after you interviewed last August, when did you receive your rejection? I interviewed in September of this year and was wondering when I should start worrying, basically.
November I believe

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you hear back last cycle? Also, we have similar stats, and I still haven't heard anything either. However, I am a first time app(not sure if that makes a huge diff).
Interviewed in august I believe I was denied in November

ECU has already given almsot half of their acceptance offers and its been my only interview... starting to lose hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions Update for the Entering Class of 2018
As of December 1, 2017 we have .....
  • Received 1074 AMCAS applications
  • Received 954 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 330 applicants
  • Made 50 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class)
Keep your head up everyone - They havent even given out half their offers yet.

But they have likely given most of their interview invites since they only interview 500 applicants.

But they have likely given most of their interview invites since they only interview 500 applicants.
Hmmm. I guess you have a point. since they interview 8 students a day, 3 times a week. That means they have about 7 more weeks of interviewing to do, and they schedule them about a month ahead of time... so 3 weeks left of potential II to go out probably (highly speculative analysis).

Hmmm. I guess you have a point. since they interview 8 students a day, 3 times a week. That means they have about 7 more weeks of interviewing to do, and they schedule them about a month ahead of time... so 3 weeks left of potential II to go out probably (highly speculative analysis).
That sounds right to me. Last time I applied I got my II in December for an interview in January, and shortly after that they closed the interview process for that cycle.

Accepted on Thursday afternoon! Interviewed on October 4th. Re-applicant. LM 68

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted on Thursday afternoon! Interviewed on October 4th. Re-applicant. LM 68
Congrats!! I interviewed last week of October, but I'm a first time applicant LM~68. What did you do differently between cycles if you don't mind me asking?

I've noticed a significantly higher proportion of reapps being admitted relative to first time apps in these initial months. Does anyone know if this is deliberately done by the admission committee??

I've noticed a significantly higher proportion of reapps being admitted relative to first time apps in these initial months. Does anyone know if this is deliberately done by the admission committee??
It's hard to spectulate as SDN does not represent the entire population of applicants. I will say as a reapplicant myself - I find that I am far more neurotic and more active in this forum than I was as an first time applicant (I'm more desperate now lol). So maybe others are the same way? That would contribute to your observation that more reapps reporting acceptances than first timers.

Reactions: 2 users

I believe the dean of admissions told us at the end of the interview day that a good amount of each class consists of re-applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at the student body profile on the admissions page. Almost half of each class is comprised of reapplicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at the student body profile on the admissions page. Almost half of each class is comprised of reapplicants.
This would explain why a high number of reapps are admitted, but not why a disproportionate amount on SDN have been accepted thus far. Although, to Sobek's point(which may provide an explanation), I am assuming this forum is a representative sample.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know when second look is?

This would explain why a high number of reapps are admitted, but not why a disproportionate amount on SDN have been accepted thus far. Although, to Sobek's point(which may provide an explanation), I am assuming this forum is a representative sample.
I never posted on this forum during my first application cycle, I only read the posts. So, I agree w sobek on that one.

Congrats!! I interviewed last week of October, but I'm a first time applicant LM~68. What did you do differently between cycles if you don't mind me asking?

Don’t mind at all. I did a follow up phone meeting w/ an admissions person at ECU and was told I could improve my MCAT score (507) and do more shadowing in a variety of specialties. Previously, I relied mostly on my own work experiences in clinical settings (EMT, OR) to form my exposure to medicine but ECU seems to strongly emphasize the importance of shadowing specifically. So, I retook the mcat this summer (516) and did a bunch of shadowing. Also goes without saying that all my essays, personal statements, etc. were re-written and improved. Best of luck to you!

Don’t mind at all. I did a follow up phone meeting w/ an admissions person at ECU and was told I could improve my MCAT score (507) and do more shadowing in a variety of specialties. Previously, I relied mostly on my own work experiences in clinical settings (EMT, OR) to form my exposure to medicine but ECU seems to strongly emphasize the importance of shadowing specifically. So, I retook the mcat this summer (516) and did a bunch of shadowing. Also goes without saying that all my essays, personal statements, etc. were re-written and improved. Best of luck to you!

Awesome job on the improvements. Did you re-apply the folllowing cycle or did you take a year off to focus on improving those areas?

A friend of mine got an II today for the last week of January for those wanting to know where they’re at.

Anyone interview before October and not hear back yet?

After being on hold for more than 4 months Brody offered me an II, will be interviewing end of Jan. In the email the date selections were through Feb 1

After being on hold for more than 4 months Brody offered me an II, will be interviewing end of Jan. In the email the date selections were through Feb 1
When were you complete?

They just provided the update. I've also included data from previous years as a comparison.

As of December 15, 2017 we have .....
  • Received 1074 AMCAS applications
  • Received 967 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 357 applicants
  • Made 58 offers

As of December 21, 2016 we have .....
  • Received 1008 AMCAS applications (final count)
  • Received 930 Supplementary applications (final count)
  • Interviewed 346 applicants
  • Made 56 offers

As of December 15, 2015, we have .....
  • Received 1020 AMCAS applications
  • Received 932 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 371 applicants
  • Made 47 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class.)

Interviews are capped at 500 applications.

Denied today. MCAT 510, GPA 3.7. Finished early July.

Well today is officially the 8 week post interview mark for me and haven't heard a peep back. :/ Anyone that interviewed late October hear back yet?

Interviewed early October and still haven't heard back so..

I actually interviewed in September and have not heard back either. But it's okay!!! They have given out only half the offers, and its still early! Gotta stay positive!

Rejected yesterday as well. 4.0 GPA, 504 MCAT Post Interview. Best of luck guys! :(

Does anyone know if application updates are allowed, post-interview? And if so, where do we send them? Sorry if this was asked before!

Does anyone know if application updates are allowed, post-interview? And if so, where do we send them? Sorry if this was asked before!
Brody accepts application updates throughout the cycle. I believe they are sent directly to the admissions office, but you should scan their website or call to double check that.

Anyone fill out the general scholarship application yet? I wasn’t sure if this question was referring to my major in college or if they want me to explain why I chose medicine? “Please provide a statement that shows evidence of your commitment to your major. Include information as to why you chose this major and career path and what you hope to accomplish in the future. If you are undecided on major, please provide information on what educational path you may be considering.” It sounds like more of a question to ask incoming undergraduate students.

Anyone fill out the general scholarship application yet? I wasn’t sure if this question was referring to my major in college or if they want me to explain why I chose medicine? “Please provide a statement that shows evidence of your commitment to your major. Include information as to why you chose this major and career path and what you hope to accomplish in the future. If you are undecided on major, please provide information on what educational path you may be considering.” It sounds like more of a question to ask incoming undergraduate students.
I treated it like commitment and interest in medicine. It's a general application that they use but I catered it to the md app

Brody accepts application updates throughout the cycle. I believe they are sent directly to the admissions office, but you should scan their website or call to double check that.
They are allowed but not encouraged

ECU is an interesting one
I feel like they literally care nothing about stats beyond the "can this person probably do well in med school?" level. It's all ECs - especially community service and primary care shadowing.

Rejected pre-II. 513 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. Have primary care shadowing, although it was in high school. Also have about 1000 hours clinical volunteering. I don’t know what they want

Rejected pre-II. 513 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. Have primary care shadowing, although it was in high school. Also have about 1000 hours clinical volunteering. I don’t know what they want
They want community service - slammed me pretty hard for my lack of it in the interview. My interviewer asked me why I didn't have it, and pretty much said the fact I was working full time in healthcare plus doing hospital volunteering while taking a full time course load wasn't a good enough reason to not have significant community service.

Haven't officially gotten the R yet but I'm expecting it any day now...

Longitudinal exposure to the primary care field. Stopping in HS isn't a good look

I feel like they literally care nothing about stats beyond the "can this person probably do well in med school?" level. It's all ECs - especially community service and primary care shadowing.

I agree with this. It seems the Adcom places a lot of focus on fulfilling their mission. Also, for what its worth, a lot of applicants to this school seem to forget that Brody's class size is very small. If you get to the interview stage, you have a 1 in 5 shot of getting a seat. With these chances, a lot of excellent applicants end up getting rejected.

I agree w the others 100%. Brody is all about their mission, and w the small class size they have to reject a lot of great candidates. Ex lete I was unsure about that too so just talked about why Medicine and why i want to specialize in the field that i do. Goskins idk i always felt like they encouraged updates when i asked about it. I thought there was something about it on their faq.