2017-2018 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students talk about living situations? Where do most students live?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students talk about living situations? Where do most students live?

Most students live within 5-10 minutes of campus. Mostly in apartments or townhomes, but there are some options to have a house close by if you look hard enough. If you need names of specific communities PM me and I'll come up with a list!

Rejected off waitlist via snail mail. 3.98 sGPA 3.92 overall. 506 MCAT and roughly 2000 hours of work/shadowing (mostly work) experience. From the immediate area, which I thought might help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you guys happen to know why I would be rejected pre-secondary from ETSU with a 3.7 and a 505 MCAT? My app was research heavy, but it also had a lot of focus serving the URM/poor/homeless community in East Tennessee Area. My PS/recs were pretty solid (I'm guessing) since I have already been accepted to another MD school in-state, but it just seems odd that they sent me a rejection letter pre-secondary.

Would you guys happen to know why I would be rejected pre-secondary from ETSU with a 3.7 and a 505 MCAT? My app was research heavy, but it also had a lot of focus serving the URM/poor/homeless community in East Tennessee Area. My PS/recs were pretty solid (I'm guessing) since I have already been accepted to another MD school in-state, but it just seems odd that they sent me a rejection letter pre-secondary.

They already admitted someone who has a similar applicant profile as you and possibly a better MCAT ---it's pretty late in the season.

They already admitted someone who has a similar applicant profile as you and possibly a better MCAT ---it's pretty late in the season.
Pre-secondary? Even when I was complete in August? I guess they really hate free money if they were going to reject me anyway.

Pre-secondary? Even when I was complete in August? I guess they really hate free money if they were going to reject me anyway.

I feel like asking SDN why you didn't get in to a certain medical school is like asking why you can't divide by zero.

Rejected off waitlist via snail mail. 3.98 sGPA 3.92 overall. 506 MCAT and roughly 2000 hours of work/shadowing (mostly work) experience. From the immediate area, which I thought might help.
Thats crazy hopefully you get accepted somewhere else in your state. I got rejected too but im from cali tho so i expected it.

Rejected via mail. 509, 3.52cGPA, 3.68sGPA, 3.9SMP. Prior service (USAR) and felt the interviews went great so really scratching my head on this one.

II just now via email. Complete mid Sept. LM ~69-70. Any insight into what to expect on the interview day would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

Rejected last friday (1/26) via snail mail. 506 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, good extracurriculars I would say. I loved my interviews and the school, and thought they went great so on the same page @Apothecary Aquinas above. I would have thought to at least have gotten waitlisted.

II just now via email. Complete mid Sept. LM ~69-70. Any insight into what to expect on the interview day would be greatly appreciated- thanks!
Congrats! The interview day is very relaxed as you have likely read. Two one-on-one interviews that last a full hour each. Very conversational. Be prepared to talk about your experiences on your AMCAS. Get there early if you are going to be driving and parking. Just be yourself. It was clear to me that they just wanted to get a feel for what kind of person you are behind the student. Best of luck!

When is your interview? If you don't mind, it would be awesome if you could let us know when they plan to have the next committee meeting afterward.

I have heard the next committee meeting will be February 12th. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! The interview day is very relaxed as you have likely read. Two one-on-one interviews that last a full hour each. Very conversational. Be prepared to talk about your experiences on your AMCAS. Get there early if you are going to be driving and parking. Just be yourself. It was clear to me that they just wanted to get a feel for what kind of person you are behind the student. Best of luck!

When is your interview? If you don't mind, it would be awesome if you could let us know when they plan to have the next committee meeting afterward.
My interview is scheduled for March 14th- I will be more than happy to share any relevant information I obtain.

Does anybody know when the next admissions meeting will be/when we would hear decisions for change in status?

Ended up answering my own question... got the call today around 2pm central time. Accepted. Others who have been accepted, when did you receive the follow up email after the phone call?

Any chance you would be willing to drop a LizzyM or any other info?
Sure! Lizzy M ~69, overall GPA 3.74, MCAT 507. Double major in chemistry and biology with a complete minor in music. Tons of ECs including research with 2 middle author publications, organizing community 5ks, work with the RAM clinic, ER scribe job, etc.

Sure! Lizzy M ~69, overall GPA 3.74, MCAT 507. Double major in chemistry and biology with a complete minor in music. Tons of ECs including research with 2 middle author publications, organizing community 5ks, work with the RAM clinic, ER scribe job, etc.
Thanks for sharing. And, of course, Congrats!

Accepted via email around 7:00AM central! Anyone else recieved an email acceptance?

Last edited:
Don't forget to check your email spam folder.

I called today and spoke with the secretary. I wanted to see what I needed to improve. That way I could fix those and apply again. After a few minutes of talking she asked me my email and told me to check it again. I was refreshing but still nothing. Finally, she told me to check my spam folder.

There it was. I got accepted.

This is my second year applying. The first year I made the mistake of not taking my updated CV into the interview. I was told I did not have enough shadowing hours. Even though I had 1600 hours ER shadowing (Scribe), 300 hours Surgery/React while deployed, community service with rebuilding houses, building playgrounds, being a soccer coach, and a Cub scout leader. Not extremely impressive, but it fits the ETSU rural emphasis. Be sure to take in your updated CV. I still may have been passed over the first year.

This year I have 2600 hours ER, 300 surgery/react, 100 primary care, more community service, coach soccer and basketball, and the other things. I was a presence at the school this year. Each of the secretaries knew me by name. I took my baby down there and made sure they knew who I was and that I am interested in the school. I even asked them to call me if someone cancelled their interview, which they did and I moved my interview up almost a month.

GPA is 3.81c, 3.92s, 3.77other. MCAT 306. Double major: Neuroscience and Psychology. 5 years military service. Good luck.

Forgive me because I'm certain this has been asked before, I was just having trouble finding it: ETSU doesn't accept update letters regarding EC's do they?

Just received an active hold today. A little disappointed, as Quillen is my top choice, but I'm grateful to still be considered. Any idea when the next admission committee is?

Congrats to the those of who have been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting for a decision.

Just received an active hold today. A little disappointed, as Quillen is my top choice, but I'm grateful to still be considered. Any idea when the next admission committee is?

Congrats to the those of who have been accepted and best of luck to those still waiting for a decision.
Same. Lots of people get on hold. We got this :)

When did you interview?

Reactions: 2 users
Any new movement for the ones r on hold status?

I have a family friend here rn and they said most hold list movement is in may(shocker)

Does anyone have an idea of how soon after the adcom meetings decisions go out? Is it within the same week or does it take time for decisions to be made and sent out?

Does anyone have an idea of how soon after the adcom meetings decisions go out? Is it within the same week or does it take time for decisions to be made and sent out?

It's pretty quick and within the same week from my experience! I interviewed here Feb 1, the committee met Feb 12, and I got my acceptance email on Feb 14

It's pretty quick and within the same week from my experience! I interviewed here Feb 1, the committee met Feb 12, and I got my acceptance email on Feb 14
Good to hear. Many thanks!

I’m on hold, will I get a status update after the adcom meeting?

Not to be that guy, but that’s been my life since the first week of September. Welcome to the club my dude.

Edit: as in, that’s when my interview was, and I’ve been on hold for like 7 months now.

Well I guess we’re both freaking out then. Good luck to you!

Wait, so you actually got notified of acceptance 2 days after the committee meeting? I thought they usually called you up the next day?

Placed on active hold today. Now i join everyone else in the wait.

Wait, so you actually got notified of acceptance 2 days after the committee meeting? I thought they usually called you up the next day?
I know of some people in this thread who got the acceptance call the very next day and then others (as in my case), who got an email (and not any call) 2 days after. So I believe they do it both ways. And the email that I received was early in the morning, around 8AM eastern time

Maybe I'm being a little reactionary- but the committee met on the 9th and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be concerned? Has anyone else from my cohort heard back?

Maybe I'm being a little reactionary- but the committee met on the 9th and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be concerned? Has anyone else from my cohort heard back?
Yeah I don’t want to unnecessarily alarm you but that very well could mean an R is on your way via snail mail. Usually hold decisions are issued via email, and acceptances are issued by phone or email.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a pretty decent wave of R’s are on their way. They’ve interviewed more people this cycle, and they’ve already got a full class load accepted. Wouldn’t necessarily surprise me if I received one as well.