2017-2018 Feinberg School of Medicine (Northwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
last year, they started today (August 1) BUT the application cycle started a week earlier!
Thank you for the reply!!

Members don't see this ad.

The interview tracker shows someone received an II here yesterday. Any updates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying MSTP? Are the essays the same? Are there any additional essays?

II just now by email!

Reactions: 6 users
For this question:

"Given the distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution. (Limit your response to 200 words)."

Would talking about how Feinberg would allow me to reach my career goals be the correct way to answer this question? Like I would talk about the research and teaching opportunities bc I want to do those things in my future career. Or do they mean more like talking about the curriculum, pbl, pass/fail, etc?

I would go more along the lines of how it would help you with your career goals, research and teaching, and any possible specific aspects of the curriculum. I would avoid things like the pass/fail or other aspects that have a lot of overlap with many medical schools in the country. Make it very personal - make it sound like only they would fulfill those goals.

Is anyone else waiting on a complete email or status? I submitted a little more than 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten confirmation

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else waiting on a complete email or status? I submitted a little more than 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten confirmation

I've been complete since 7/13 and haven't received an email. My status page says "We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation."

hmm ok but that wouldn't really answer how my "learning style would fit the institution" right?

Like if I talked about PBL, pass/fail, I could talk about how this collaborative environment would benefit me because I've always being involved in teams whether in labs, in some clubs, sport teams, and how this skill will be important in my medical career, etc.

That is a great point, but I'm kind of torn because so many schools have similar curricula and pass/fail, etc., that I'm not sure it helps set them apart. On the other hand, it sounds like you have a lot of great examples and you can really make it work (and it could be very personal)! I'm still thinking of how I'll answer this. I'm leaning toward talking about their philosophy and mission more than just the curriculum. Then talk about how I think. So clearly this wasn't an overly helpful answer... If you're still torn, write both and decide which is best.

I submitted my primary for Feinberg about a week ago, but still haven't gotten an invitation for a secondary. They don't screen, right? Did it take anyone else a while for them to send out the secondary?

I submitted my primary for Feinberg about a week ago, but still haven't gotten an invitation for a secondary. They don't screen, right? Did it take anyone else a while for them to send out the secondary?

I added them on the 14th and received it on the 17th. There was a definite pause between. MSAR says it's sent to everyone. I would contact them and see if it went to spam or didn't make it to you.

same here maybe it will come in the next batch

Went to Feinberg's white coat on Friday and it was so cool to watch. This has always been my dream school...fingers crossed for an II!!

Reactions: 1 user

I applied last year and it took them about a month and a half to send me a secondary.

I added them on the 14th and received it on the 17th. There was a definite pause between. MSAR says it's sent to everyone. I would contact them and see if it went to spam or didn't make it to you.

same here maybe it will come in the next batch

I applied last year and it took them about a month and a half to send me a secondary.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll wait it out for a bit and then email them if I haven't gotten it in another week or so.

New around here so posting a bit late - II was received in that first wave on 8/4, was my first one!

LizzyM 82, complete 7/13

Last edited:
New around here so posting a bit late - II was received in that first wave on 8/4, was my first one!

LizzyM 82, complete 7/13, interview scheduled for

Probably would not say when you are interviewing.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it's against the rules, per se, but it can definitely make you more identifiable to adcoms.

Last edited:
I've been complete since 7/13 and haven't received an email. My status page says "We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation."

Did we figure out if this means complete or if they send an email explicitly saying you are complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did we figure out if this means complete or if they send an email explicitly saying you are complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have this status and emailed them to see if my applicantion had all required materials to be reviewed and they said yes.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an email confirmation that my secondary had been received (which I found in my junk mail folder), but never got an email explicitly saying my application file was complete.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I got an email confirmation that my secondary had been received (which I found in my junk mail folder), but never got an email explicitly saying my application file was complete.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
they update it every monday

Hi all,

I'm a little confused on where to view my status for FSM. I'm looking at the "status page" but don't see anything about what they have received. This is all I see (See attachment). How do I know if they have received my MCAT score and LORs?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 6.08.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 6.08.24 PM.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 109
Hi all,

I'm a little confused on where to view my status for FSM. I'm looking at the "status page" but don't see anything about what they have received. This is all I see (See attachment). How do I know if they have received my MCAT score and LORs?

After you submit your status page will change to say something like:
Application Status:
Thank you!

We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation.

Interview Invitation Information

You will be notified if you are extended an interview invitation through our secure applicant site and the email address you provided in your supplemental application. An interview invitation could be extended to you at anytime during August 2017 through February 2018.

After you submit your status page will change to say something like:
Application Status:
Thank you!

We have received your supplemental application and letters of recommendation.

Interview Invitation Information

You will be notified if you are extended an interview invitation through our secure applicant site and the email address you provided in your supplemental application. An interview invitation could be extended to you at anytime during August 2017 through February 2018.

Thanks! I'll look for that status page change. So far, I have just received an email saying:

We have received your supplemental application and fee
or fee waiver to the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University.

If you have not already done so, please fully acquaint yourself with our
application process as well as other features of the Feinberg School
of Medicine through our public web site at:
MD Admissions: MD Admissions: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University

To check on the status of your application, you should frequently
visit the secure web site, which is accessible through the public web pages,

Thank you for your interest in the Feinberg School of Medicine.

AMCAS should electronically send my letters of recommendation, right? They have done this for all of my other applications.

Thanks! I'll look for that status page change. So far, I have just received an email saying:

We have received your supplemental application and fee
or fee waiver to the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University.

If you have not already done so, please fully acquaint yourself with our
application process as well as other features of the Feinberg School
of Medicine through our public web site at:
MD Admissions: MD Admissions: Feinberg School of Medicine: Northwestern University

To check on the status of your application, you should frequently
visit the secure web site, which is accessible through the public web pages,

Thank you for your interest in the Feinberg School of Medicine.

AMCAS should electronically send my letters of recommendation, right? They have done this for all of my other applications.

Yes AMCAS electronically sends your LOR if you have uploaded them it just takes a while for some schools to look over them and mark you complete.

If anyone wants any tips about interviews, feel free to pm me. I didn't apply here solely because my GPA/MCAT is way below their cutoff..but I work at NMH and met with several admissions people and an interviewer just to get a feel for interview do/don'ts, and would be happy to pass it on.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview day is coming fast! Super pumped, I don't wanna jinx myself, but the post-interview acceptance rate is very encouraging!

Is it just me or is feinberg not sending a bunch of IIs out? Seems like there was an early wave and now nothing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is it just me or is feinberg not sending a bunch of IIs out? Seems like there was an early wave and now nothing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I feel like a lot of the top tier schools haven't sent out very many IIs so far.

Reactions: 2 users
II just recently! Wish I knew a week earlier before I booked my flight for Pritzker, but I guess it's a good problem to have. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Reactions: 5 users
II just recently! Wish I knew a week earlier before I booked my flight for Pritzker, but I guess it's a good problem to have. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

when were you complete if you don't mind sharing?