2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I recall correctly, they did mention at my interview day that only a select few applicants will be receiving acceptances and rejections early in the cycle and that the majority of decision will come out in March. (Unless I am completely mixing up schools....)
No you’re right haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 2/15. Is anyone planning on sending/has already sent a post-II update letter/letter of interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the Feb. 15th interview day, they told us that they were going to continue to send out IIs until then end of Feb. The admissions director said "some lucky people might still get interview invites up until the end of Feb." They meet every Thursday, so I think today might be the last day IIs are going out. Congratulations to everyone who was offered an interview!

Reactions: 3 users
As for final decisions for any one who's curios: "Review of files by the Admissions Committee continues after the interview. Notification of acceptance or denial is issued as soon as the decision is known, but usually no earlier than October 15 and no later than April 15" from their website!

Absolutely loved my visit here on Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

Well they meet every Thursday in March lol I need a win Dartmouth pretty please

Well they meet every Thursday in March lol I need a win Dartmouth pretty please
I saw the new message alert and totally thought it was a flood of A/R/WL's happening lol. Geisel please love us all we're clearly on the edge of our seats

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who stayed with a student host and did not have a car how did you get to admissions? Just walking or did you use a ride service? I will be staying about 1.2 miles from the campus.

For those of you who stayed with a student host and did not have a car how did you get to admissions? Just walking or did you use a ride service? I will be staying about 1.2 miles from the campus.
I used one of the two Ubers in the entire city lol

Lol how much did you pay? When I checked, it cost $30 to get from one end of campus to the other
HAHA wait I didn’t even check... I used it from Lebanon too, that’s not good

The student whose place I stayed at chauffeured me and the other guests there. Very nice people!

How hard is it to get one in the morning? I guess I'll probably have to start walking at like 8:30 then lol.

Call one of the taxi services the day before to schedule a pickup if you aren't able to get a ride from the students.

HAHA wait I didn’t even check... I used it from Lebanon too, that’s not good

mine was definitely no more than $10. Just keep getting new price quotes and (hopefully) it'll lower!

As for calling an Uber/Lyft, I personally had a really hard time getting one from both apps, probably due to the snowstorm LOL. But if you can order a ride beforehand, do it.

784FEF57-9651-4C08-83F2-C839093AC753.jpeg
mine was definitely no more than $10. Just keep getting new price quotes and (hopefully) it'll lower!

As for calling an Uber/Lyft, I personally had a really hard time getting one from both apps, probably due to the snowstorm LOL. But if you can order a ride beforehand, do it.

Could someone share some pros / cons for Geisel?

You guys are too kind. Though my dog is really awesome
100% rooting for you, especially after that mayo fiasco. You seem super nice and deserving of a school that’ll make you happy

Reactions: 1 user
100% rooting for you, especially after that mayo fiasco. You seem super nice and deserving of a school that’ll make you happy
Thanks dude. I really appreciate the support. It’s coming down to the wire with me. I’m on 2 WL (mayo and UMN) just got the Harvard axe and interviewed at UCLA on Friday and waiting to hear back from Dartmouth. I’ll be happy to get in anywhere at this point.

Thanks dude. I really appreciate the support. It’s coming down to the wire with me. I’m on 2 WL (mayo and UMN) just got the Harvard axe and interviewed at UCLA on Friday and waiting to hear back from Dartmouth. I’ll be happy to get in anywhere at this point.
Those are some amazing schools— best of luck to you! Sending positive thoughts your way

Did you only apply to Ivy League and California schools (the schools that are known to be harder than most to get into)? Either way, good job landing those interviews and good luck! Other than Dartmouth, I avoided Ivy League and California for applications.

Good luck! I interviewed early November and have been patiently waiting for a response.

Did you only apply to Ivy League and California schools (the schools that are known to be harder than most to get into)? Either way, good job landing those interviews and good luck! Other than Dartmouth, I avoided Ivy League and California for applications.

Good luck! I interviewed early November and have been patiently waiting for a response.
Thanks! No I applied to about 30 schools in all and just happened to get those interviews (maybe I’m lucky, though I don’t feel lucky now lol). I’m a CA resident and it’s pretty much assumed all CA residents will apply to the UC’s. Other than that, the only recourse for CA applicants is out of state private and the few OOS friendly schools. I interviewed in Jan here so we’ll see probably in the next few weeks. I’m pretty sure the number of acceptances must equal the size of the class by March 15 according to AAMC rules so I bet there will be a lot of acceptances coming up for multiple campuses and then after apr 30 there will be more as well as students self select and drop down to only one acceptance.

D8C45D41-BF03-403D-BD50-8D486EE4BD6F.jpeg
Those are some amazing schools— best of luck to you! Sending positive thoughts your way
Thanks so much here’s an adorable pic of my dog lol

Reactions: 14 users
How hard is it to get one in the morning? I guess I'll probably have to start walking at like 8:30 then lol.
Oh ya I would 100% not recommend relying on Uber in Hanover haha

Oh ya I would 100% not recommend relying on Uber in Hanover haha

True, but depending on where you're staying you should check the Advanced Transit bus schedules and see if you're near a stop, they're free buses that run through the Hanover/Lebanon area and there's a stop right outside the admissions building.

So we haven’t seen a decision in a while..

True, but depending on where you're staying you should check the Advanced Transit bus schedules and see if you're near a stop, they're free buses that run through the Hanover/Lebanon area and there's a stop right outside the admissions building.
Oh ya also a lot of hotels offer shuttle services directly to Geisel admissions

According to the AAMC traffic rules, every campus that doesn't participate in the early decision program has until March 15 to offer as many acceptances as their class size. so I would expect to see some movement fairly soon unless 92 acceptances have already gone out which I doubt (but I could be wrong). I say this with a very tiny grain of salt as with this storm I wish for their personal safety first and foremost. Hope everyone in the northeast is remaining safe!!!

"By March 15 of the matriculation year, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)."
this is from the AAMC here: https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf

Last edited:
According to the AAMC rules, every campus that doesn't participate in the early decision program has untilMarchh 15 to offer as many acceptances as their class size. so i would expect to see some movement fairly soon unless 92 acceptances have already gone out which I doubt (but i could be wrong).

"By March 15 of the matriculation year, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS)."
this is from the AAMC here: https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf
Dartmouth will offer some more acceptances mid-march and then the rest of us who are waiting will hear early-mid April

According to last year’s thread, most people heard back late March, and a few in early-mid April.

Where did you hear the April part? I interviewed recently and thought we all heard in March
As told to me on interview day and per members of the admissions committee who i interact with

So then are those of us interviewing March 15 or later basically interviewing for a spot on the waitlist?

So then are those of us interviewing March 15 or later basically interviewing for a spot on the waitlist?
No, still a fair chance to get in. Spoke with a previous adcom during my overnight stay, and he said that a large part of their class every year (including himself) were interviewed in feb/march