2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you who sent a Thank you letter to admissions receive a confirmation email?

Members don't see this ad.

So then are those of us interviewing March 15 or later basically interviewing for a spot on the waitlist?
Probably not. I’m sure they’ve accounted for that. You stand a really good shot still

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you who sent a Thank you letter to admissions receive a confirmation email?
Yeah. I sent mine to the admissions office. They responded right away. In my experience, they've always responded to my emails within 2-3 hrs during business hours.

+1. Haven't sent a thank you note (or email) all cycle. I do it for @Jalby
Haha, I got my first “thank you response” from a school I just interviewed at. I considered it an automatic acceptance. I’ve alrdy bought my gear and moved in.

Reactions: 1 user
With a snow storm coming in does anybody have any advice about attire or transportation? Would it be weird if I wore snow boots then switched into my dress shoes lol..

With a snow storm coming in does anybody have any advice about attire or transportation? Would it be weird if I wore snow boots then switched into my dress shoes lol..
Nope that seems to be what a lot of people did on my day. Was pretty nasty with all the slush and stuff too. There's a tour at the end of the day around campus and it was kind of brutal in dress shoes.

Wear flip-flops to assert your dominance over the cold climate.

But in all seriousness, it wouldn't be weird to wear boots. If you're traveling by Dartmouth Coach then it's likely they'll still be running.

Reactions: 4 users
Nope that seems to be what a lot of people did on my day. Was pretty nasty with all the slush and stuff too. There's a tour at the end of the day around campus and it was kind of brutal in dress shoes.

But in all seriousness, it wouldn't be weird to wear boots. If you're traveling by Dartmouth Coach then it's likely they'll still be running.
I think it would be weird if you DIDN'T wear boots. A foot of snow is on the its way.....

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah if they didn't run that would be a problem since I'm coming from Logan lol. I imagine some other interviewers will be as well. My only concern is that I bought a ticket to leave at 5:00 PM after the interview day is over but with this snow I might have to leave the final tour early just to trek to the bus stop.

PLEASE SNOW GODS HAVE MERCY

Yeah if they didn't run that would be a problem since I'm coming from Logan lol. I imagine some other interviewers will be as well. My only concern is that I bought a ticket to leave at 5:00 PM after the interview day is over but with this snow I might have to leave the final tour early just to trek to the bus stop.

PLEASE SNOW GODS HAVE MERCY

You should be fine for the 5:00 coach, its only a 15 min walk tops (even in snow). Plus the tour at the end of the day is optional, and they will totally understanding if you need to leave early! But people from my day who did the tour even had time to head into town for food before the 5:00 coach.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine for the 5:00 coach, its only a 15 min walk tops (even in snow). Plus the tour at the end of the day is optional, and they will totally understanding if you need to leave early! But people from my day who did the tour even had time to head into town for food before the 5:00 coach.
Yeah people were telling me I had to rush over to the coach, but it's not really a time crunch at all. I was just standing in the cold for like 45 minutes waiting. Meanwhile other people got to enjoy the town and get some nice food and coffee. Then I wasn't even the first person on because other people jumped in front of me.

Don't be me.

ACCCCCCEEEEEPPPTTTTEEEDDDDDD

Reactions: 20 users
Jeez finally (jk). I am sad you won't be in my class though, all the dry humor im missing out on!
I’ll just participate in my own little Dartmouth selectives and head over to Rochester lol, sound good?

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll just participate in my own little Dartmouth selectives and head over to Rochester lol, sound good?

Sounds good...although Geisel may issue a missing persons report. Totally worth it though.

Thanks everybody, we’d make a pretty bomb class

Are decisions being released in order of interview date? Interviewed in mid December :(

Are decisions being released in order of interview date? Interviewed in mid December :(
yeah, I interviewed early Jan but I don't think they are released in the order of the interview date. I think they are released randomly because the Adcom operates that way. like it may take your interviewer some time to write something up about you to present it to the committee so it just happens out of order from what I've heard

So I remember them saying they’ll accept a small number of superstars “early”.

When will decisions come out for the rest of us plebs?

So I remember them saying they’ll accept a small number of superstars “early”.

When will decisions come out for the rest of us plebs?
lol that's my question as well. I guess a lot of decisions came out in mid-late march last year so I would expect it to be similar this year. I just hope I'm one of the plebs they like lol

This is how they decide who gets accepted: https://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/faculty/pdf/admissions_committee_charge.pdf

"E. The top tier of candidates will be offered admission; the second tier will be discussed individually by the full committee; and the third tier will not be discussed unless any member of the Admission Committee recommends full committee discussion. F. Voting procedures at the end of each meeting produce a score for each candidate that is discussed by the committee. V. Final Decisions: A. Committee scores are used by the Admissions Committee Chair and Admissions Director in making admissions decisions. The number of students who are offered admission will be calculated to yield the number of students to be enrolled in the first year class that year, without exceeding that number. Students from Tier 3 who were not discussed at the full committee, and therefore do not have a numerical committee score, are only admitted from the wait list by the senior executive subcommittee. Interview scores are utilized to determine whether a Tier 3 applicant is placed on the wait list."

lol that's my question as well. I guess a lot of decisions came out in mid-late march last year so I would expect it to be similar this year. I just hope I'm one of the plebs they like lol

ugh i wanna be a superstar

Only top tier applicants hear back early, everyone else hears back from mid march onward

Lol no idea how my application went from the trashcan to “Tier 1” but I’ll take it

Reactions: 11 users
LOL @ everyone who interview THIS YEAR asking about when they'll hear post interview decisions.

Ya complete 7/7, id name my first child Geisel to go here
Also... congrats!! Waiting for the birth certificate.

(Ya, I remembered this post from months ago and dug it back up...)

Reactions: 9 users
Also... congrats!! Waiting for the birth certificate.

(Ya, I remembered this post from months ago and dug it back up...)
Oh god...

Needless to say, Little Geisel's going to be pretty upset over this

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone reschedule their interview tomorrow due to the snowstorm? If so, what dates are available?

do you think it's too late to send an update? also, how do you guys feel about updates to Geisel? I hear they are a bad idea

do you think it's too late to send an update? also, how do you guys feel about updates to Geisel? I hear they are a bad idea
I just sent an update last week. Updates have worked out well for me. I got my II a few weeks after submitting a 4 page update back in November!

I sent an update in recently too. Don’t think it’s too late but I’d do it ASAP

In total I've sent either 3-4 updates this cycle to Geisel and received my recent II about a week after my last update.

I just sent an update last week. Updates have worked out well for me. I got my II a few weeks after submitting a 4 page update back in November!

I sent an update in recently too. Don’t think it’s too late but I’d do it ASAP

In total I've sent either 3-4 updates this cycle to Geisel and received my recent II about a week after my last update.

ok I'll get it in today! thanks everyone!

4 pages?!
Lol mine was 8 (to be fair I included 4 extra quarters of grades since I applied so that’s where most of the pages came from)

Last edited: