2017-2018 Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview 2/22. Still haven't heard anything.....

#WinterIsComing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
ugh i'm sorry. was in those shoes last cycle and could be right there with you again. this process is crazy, keep rolling with the punches, you absolutely can still get in--they would have rejected you if they were not interested. give yourself a break to do something you enjoy (also, run away from sdn :p) and then go right back to making the case that they should put you those last few feet over the finish line. they have an excess of people who will make great doctors so just view when/where you get in as a reflection of the structures and vagaries of admissions not as a reflection of anything you have/haven't done personally. it's not an accident that you made it further than like 6800 of the 7000 people who applied, or whatever.
Thank you :) I needed that. Fortunately (?) I had already somewhat come to terms with most likely not getting in this cycle after I had no interview invites until Geisel happened. So I just have to get back into being at peace with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you :) I needed that. Fortunately (?) I had already somewhat come to terms with most likely not getting in this cycle after I had no interview invites until Geisel happened. So I just have to get back into being at peace with that.

anytime ;)

work on coming to terms with it being totally uncertain and mostly out of your control, not with it being over, because it isn't.

22-you-got-this-meme-9.jpg

also i like to watch this vid when i feel like a pick me up (watch out for nsfw language):

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any other fellow fall interviewees still left in the dark??

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow there are still quite a number of us, even from September!
IMO, this silence has been worse than all the rejections I've gotten this cycle ...

rejected this morning (interviewed early feb), but i'm actually relieved to save myself from making a hard decision. good luck to everyone still waiting!!! thinking good thoughts for all of y'all :)

Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody received an acceptance in this weeks decisions? I haven’t seen any on here :(

ACCEPTED just now!!

I'm completely blown away! I didn't get an e-mail. The dean came to my door and hand delivered my acceptance along with a full cost of attendance scholarship!! He said he was so impressed with my application that I got pre-matched to a neurosurgery residency at MGH too!!

BEST April Fools Day EVER!!!

Reactions: 15 users
ACCEPTED just now!!

I'm completely blown away! I didn't get an e-mail. The dean came to my door and hand delivered my acceptance along with a full cost of attendance scholarship!! He said he was so impressed with my application that I got pre-matched to a neurosurgery residency at MGH too!!

BEST April Fools Day EVER!!!

So many emotions reading that first line

Reactions: 1 users
So many emotions reading that first line

same. i'm hoping some more people start hearing back this week. it still seems like there was a little wave of acceptances last march that never happened this year...i wonder if maybe more of their early admits accepted before traffic day or something this year. hoping not though because other than that little group it seems like nearly everything that happened in april was an R/WL even though they say on interview day that they accept most of their class in april.

Just combed through all of last year/this year's thread for reported acceptances, WLs and post II-rejections to get a sense of where we are this cycle.

A: 22
WL: 21
Post II rejections: 7

2018 (this cycle)
A: 16
WL: 10
Post II rejections: 2

Assuming 270 accepted, 270 WL, and 270 R and similar reporting rates:

- 72% of total acceptances have been issued.
- 74 more people will be accepted this cycle, 6 of whom will repot the acceptance on SDN.
- 47% of total WL have been issued.
- 142 more people will be waitlisted this cycle, 11 of whom will repot on SDN.
- 28% of total rejections have been issued.
- 193 more people will be rejected this cycle, 5 of whom will report on SDN.
- 56% of total post-II decisions have been sent.

If you haven't heard back, as of today, you have a:
- 19% chance of being accepted
- 34% chance of being waitlisted
- 47% chance of being rejected

It's not looking good for those of us in silence. Will most likely be rejected next week :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Just combed through all of last year/this year's thread for reported acceptances, WLs and post II-rejections to get a sense of where we are this cycle.

A: 22
WL: 21
Post II rejections: 7

2018 (this cycle)
A: 16
WL: 10
Post II rejections: 2

Assuming 270 accepted, 270 WL, and 270 R and similar reporting rates:

- 72% of total acceptances have been issued.
- 74 more people will be accepted this cycle, 6 of whom will repot the acceptance on SDN.
- 47% of total WL have been issued.
- 142 more people will be waitlisted this cycle, 11 of whom will repot on SDN.
- 28% of total rejections have been issued.
- 193 more people will be rejected this cycle, 5 of whom will report on SDN.
- 56% of total post-II decisions have been sent.

If you haven't heard back, as of today, you have a:
- 19% chance of being accepted
- 34% chance of being waitlisted
- 47% chance of being rejected

It's not looking good for those of us in silence. Will most likely be rejected next week :(
those are next level stats t swizzle. Thanks and good luck!

I was WL in March 2014 and eventually got accepted in mid-june. Same with a lot of my classmates (Im a 4th year about to graduate). And actually most of us that got off the WL super late matched into surgical residencies (coincidence? ya probs).

Reactions: 9 users
I was WL in March 2014 and eventually got accepted in mid-june. Same with a lot of my classmates (Im a 4th year about to graduate). And actually most of us that got off the WL super late matched into surgical residencies (coincidence? ya probs).
You inspire our waitlist hopes and dreams!

another quiet day. was hoping we would start hearing today! you all think tomorrow/wednesday is a possibility or you think they're waiting for the last meeting at this point?

another quiet day. was hoping we would start hearing today! you all think tomorrow/wednesday is a possibility or you think they're waiting for the last meeting at this point?
is thursday the last meeting?

Wednesdays are popular to hear back that’s when the WLs happened last week

I have a bad feeling about the rest of this week :help::help::help::sick::sick::sick:

Accepted this morning!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Reactions: 7 users
For those of us in silence...it’s looking more and more like we’ll be rejected. Honestly, I would be pretty happy with a WL at this point.

Delayed post: Accepted!!! on March 16, Interviewed Feb 15 :)

Reactions: 6 users
Hi, Billy M1 here with the answers to some of your Geisel questions!

I was a little sad that we dropped in the rankings this year, but the match list was fire as usual. Geisel seems to have a great reputation clinically and punches above its weight class when it comes to where people match, which is a part of why I chose it over some more highly ranked schools.

Kind of annoyed that they don't make this information easily accessible to y'all - I think it's potentially an important factor in your decision, so here you go:

View attachment 231181
View attachment 231182
This match list looks amazing. Thanks for sharing! I am trying to decide on schools, including a waitlist position, and this is definitely important to me. It is hard to find this information on the internet.

Already admitted, but popping in to say that the FB group has 200+ members so likely the class is getting fairly full (though it looks like a ton of members are current students). Seems like there were a lot of admits mid-March. They also have second look weekend in about a week (Friday), so I think they would do their best to have every admitted student notified by now or by the end of the week. Not trying to be a downer though. Hopefully the perspective helps! I know several M1s and M2s who got in off the WL / accepted later spring / mid summer. There can also be a bit of movement as students decide to defer for a year (common with Dartmouth's early action program). It ain't over til it's over

Reactions: 2 users
Billy M1 here again with another great post!

Congrats to everyone who has gotten good news! Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll give you all the dirt to the best of my ability!

Any interview in late January and still waiting for a reply?