2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still have a chance to improve my conversational skills to not be the awkward potato I currently am lol.
Idaho loves potatoes. So you good

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The address they give you in the email is Franklin Rd, which is ICOM's address. You can also google ICOM's address = Franklin Rd. The contact info is different. But, I also thought what you did until I did some more researching.

Your post kind of confused me, but just to be clear, the actual school is not on Franklin Rd. That address is in Boise and the school is actually in Meridian off of I-84.

Your post kind of confused me, but just to be clear, the actual school is not on Franklin Rd. That address is in Boise and the school is actually in Meridian off of I-84.

Im pretty confused too, tbh. But, at the bottom of their email they also sign off with Boise as their address (below). Idk..

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.33.58 PM.png

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who is on the same boat as you all I can say is we have to keep pushing through! I got rejected in my first interview, and then I got 3 straight waitlists. I have 2 more interviews, so I still have a chance to improve my conversational skills to not be the awkward potato I currently am lol.

Thank you for the encouragement! :) It's really reassuring to hear I'm not the only one that has experienced this. I am hoping ICOM will be another chance for me to help me shine, but only time will tell. Best of luck at your next interviews!

Last edited by a moderator:
A recruiter i talked to said they usually need a graduating class to apply to a school. There may be exceptions though
I interviewed at BCOM and I am pretty sure there were military students there. There was even a recruiter there and BCOM has not graduated a class yet.

I have cGPA 3.3, sGPA 4.0 504 MCAT - no acceptance. Don't kid yourself there are plenty of students with 500+ MCAT scores and 3.2+ GPAs that fell through the cracks for ICOM to meet its requirements if it is willing to recruit outside its ideal geographic area and those students know to apply.
Your stats are great enough for most DO schools, especially that 4.0 sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
My SO also applied to this school. I just don't understand how such a new school can ask for 3.2 gpa and 500 mcat and 2500 deposit. With those stats, most students probably have multiple acceptances. Why would they choose this one?

I've never been good at reading minds but were I a new school, particularly a for profit school, my top concern would be protecting my investment and for that I need my inaugural class to pass it's boards in 2 years. As such ICOM's priority might be shifted more towards high GPA's and MCAT scores. There are plenty of students out there with strong academics, i.e. 3.2+ GPAs and 500+ MCATs who haven't been accepted yet. Maybe they aren't accepted because they didn't have great personal statements, interviewing skills or some other non-academic weakness like a shortage of shadowing or volunteer hours. These students might be what BCOM needs and BCOM might be what they need. Long story short if ICOM wants 3.2+ GPAS and 500+ MCATS, they are there.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who is on the same boat as you all I can say is we have to keep pushing through! I got rejected in my first interview, and then I got 3 straight waitlists. I have 2 more interviews, so I still have a chance to improve my conversational skills to not be the awkward potato I currently am lol.

I feel you guys.

any idea when they will be looking at apps again/ are they still on winter vacation?

I stopped by the ICOM offices and got pretty much no information, but I thought I'd share what I discovered.

The offices on Franklin were closed for the holiday and they had a sign up that said they will be closed until the 2nd, so I think it's safe to say that they haven't been looking at any applications this week.

The offices looked pretty nice and they appeared to be pretty big, so I'm thinking it's highly possible that they might be doing interviews there and not the actual school.

I think the school is due to be completed in late spring. I know some people said they were going to offer tours of the school during interview days. If they are doing interviews in the offices, I guess this is still possible. The actual school is probably a ten minute drive away.

Also, if the interviews are at their offices on Franklin, please don't judge Boise/Meridian by the empty train cars and sketchy strip mall aquarium across the street. It's actually a lovely place.

Reactions: 3 users
I stopped by the ICOM offices and got pretty much no information, but I thought I'd share what I discovered.

The offices on Franklin were closed for the holiday and they had a sign up that said they will be closed until the 2nd, so I think it's safe to say that they haven't been looking at any applications this week.

The offices looked pretty nice and they appeared to be pretty big, so I'm thinking it's highly possible that they might be doing interviews there and not the actual school.

I think the school is due to be completed in late spring. I know some people said they were going to offer tours of the school during interview days. If they are doing interviews in the offices, I guess this is still possible. The actual school is probably a ten minute drive away.

Also, if the interviews are at their offices on Franklin, please don't judge Boise/Meridian by the empty train cars and sketchy strip mall aquarium across the street. It's actually a lovely place.
Thanks so much for sharing this info! The II email says the interview will be at this Boise address, so I do believe the interviews will be conducted at offices. Not sure what the tour will entail though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a reminder email about my interview yesterday. It says the interviews will be held at 7201 Franklin Road in Boise. Anyone interviewing on the 8th that wants to meet up for lunch or something? I fly in on the 7th at 0730 and fly out the 9th at 2100.

Accepted the offer to interview February 7th! They have additional interview dates as stated above through February 28th. I'm still in tears. So thankful to have my first interview of the season.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted the offer to interview February 7th! They have additional interview dates as stated above through February 28th. I'm still in tears. So thankful to have my first interview of the season.

Congrats! When did you send in your application? :)

Just called ICOM this morning to let them know my updated transcripts were received by AACOMAS, and they told me anyone who submitted this week or the last should hear back by the end of this week or early next week! Good luck all!

Interview invite! See y'all on Feb 19th!

II, scheduled for February 12! Submitted application application on December 15th!

Got my II today, submitted the application on 12/20
Stats: 3.5 cgpa, 3.33 sgpa, 509 mcat, Florida resident

Just got confirmed for an interview for February 7th! Hope to see some of you guys there!

II today as well! Kansas resident. Scheduled for 2/12! :)

Will the school be inelligible for federal loans until they graduate a class after four years or just for the first year?

after 2 years they will be eligible to start applying for federal loans.

So if you started this fall, you would be able to apply for federal loans your 3rd and 4th year? I suppose that's better than 4 years of private loans. :/

So if you started this fall, you would be able to apply for federal loans your 3rd and 4th year? I suppose that's better than 4 years of private loans. :/
after 2 years, the school will be applying to get approved. Once they get approved, then you can start applying

I interviewed at BCOM and I am pretty sure there were military students there. There was even a recruiter there and BCOM has not graduated a class yet.

Correction, things changed, as of October, military can no longer offer the scholarship to students attending schools that are not fully accredited or recieving federal loans. Not sure which it is but either way ICOM students cannot get the scholarship. If anyone here's different from a recruiter, please let me know.

what airport is closest to get to the interview

Just to see if I am understanding correctly...
1. There are no federal loans until the school applies after 2ish years and then they might be available later? Or do they have to graduate the inaugural class?
2. Also, there will be no military scholarship or recruitment for the loan repayment/service option? Just curious since I was interested in going the military service route of repayment.
3. I have heard that BCOM and some of the newer schools offer scholarships to the first class and was curious to see if anyone knows anything about ICOM and scholarship possibility?

Either way, I know we will make it work and I'm sure the school has a financial team ready to help us.

Just to see if I am understanding correctly...
1. There are no federal loans until the school applies after 2ish years and then they might be available later? Or do they have to graduate the inaugural class?
2. Also, there will be no military scholarship or recruitment for the loan repayment/service option? Just curious since I was interested in going the military service route of repayment.
3. I have heard that BCOM and some of the newer schools offer scholarships to the first class and was curious to see if anyone knows anything about ICOM and scholarship possibility?

Either way, I know we will make it work and I'm sure the school has a financial team ready to help us.
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Scholarships are for those that live in Idaho and those surrounding states in their mission statement

Are they reserving spots for neighboring states, or will others (such as Californian applicants) have a chance?

Are they reserving spots for neighboring states, or will others (such as Californian applicants) have a chance?
I received an II from ICOM and I'm a CA resident. You def. have a chance!!

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Scholarships are for those that live in Idaho and those surrounding states in their mission statement

So I'm curious then...if the school expects you to take out four years of private loans at a tuition rate of 47k, where does money for cost of living come from for those four years? It seems like most private loans for medical school I've looked into have a 250k limit. I'm wondering how ICOM will advise students on this matter.

So I'm curious then...if the school expects you to take out four years of private loans at a tuition rate of 47k, where does money for cost of living come from for those four years? It seems like most private loans for medical school I've looked into have a 250k limit. I'm wondering how ICOM will advise students on this matter.
You can try to take loans from different companies.

I don't really know much about this... but if tuition is 47K and we take out an additional 30K for living expenses for each year for worst case scenario 3 years.. that totals to be 231K. Our third and fourth year we should be able to get government loans. I'm worried about being about to even get approved for a private loan with such a large sum, but their website made it sound like they are working with a private lender and they state that they will "make sure no student cannot pursue a medical education because of financial reasons"...?

Usually the 3rd year you can get federal loans. And private loans usually aren't just from one company. They are multiple companies that offer loans.
I don't really know much about this... but if tuition is 47K and we take out an additional 30K for living expenses for each year for worst case scenario 3 years.. that totals to be 231K. Our third and fourth year we should be able to get government loans. I'm worried about being about to even get approved for a private loan with such a large sum, but their website made it sound like they are working with a private lender and they state that they will "make sure no student cannot pursue a medical education because of financial reasons"...?
You can get approved, especially if your credit is good

Usually the 3rd year you can get federal loans. And private loans usually aren't just from one company. They are multiple companies that offer loans.

You can get approved, especially if your credit is good

Since some people are saying you can get federal loans in year 3 and others are saying you need private loans all four years, I think I will contact the school Monday and ask for clarification. I'll report back what I find out. In the mean time, if anyone had an interview this past week and wants to share what they learned, I would so appreciate it. :)

Reactions: 1 users
From ICOM’s page “At this time, ICOM is not eligible to participate in federally sponsored student loan programs for the first two years of instruction In the interim, ICOM has worked with private financial lending partners who have approved ICOM for select health professions loans for our students. ICOM will apply for and comply with Title IV regulations to achecive eligibility at the earliest possible time, ”

What I conclude from that is that fed loans is a definite no for the first two years and probable if qualified and under compliance after that.

An acquaintance of mine emailed financial aid office. According to financial aid counselor, Army has confirmed that they will accept ICOM students for HPSP. I’ve emailed an Army HPSP recruiter and waiting to hear back on that though

Reactions: 4 users