2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw this on this forum before, but I couldn’t find the answer and I was hoping someone could speak to their own experience from recent interviews. I have an interview coming up soon but I would need to catch a flight that leaves at 3pm. Doesn’t this seem doable? And would I need to rent a car to get to the campus from the airport?

I interviewed and my flight was at 3pm and I also rented a car from the airport. Our day ended at 130 and I had enough time to fill the car before returning it to the airport. I got through security and all at about 215.

Also why are private loans such a deal breaker?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Usually higher interest rates, not as many repayment options as federal
Yeah i looked into this a bit more. No IBR, PSFL, PAYE, etc for private loans. So if you take out about 300k, and did not qualify for one of the loans with a 36 month grace period after medical school, how much is your monthly payment then during residency? Also what about those students who do not match? I had a friend who did not match in pysc this year even with high step scores and no red flags.....but he had federal loans so he could do IBR payments but if they were private then what?
Really hoping ICOM gets approved for fed loans after second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
While private loans have negatives, they aren't as unmanageable as people make it seem. A smart way to manage them is to keep making interest only payments while in school if you can afford to, this keeps the principle of the loan the same. There are also other companies that refinance medical school loans once you're in residency, which can increase the deferment date. SoFi is well known for this:
Medical Resident Refinance | SoFi

also, if you have good credit or can get a parent to cosign, you will probably get a better interest rate than federal loans

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone happen to apply to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)? I ask because they are about to go into their second year but are offering their students federal aid. They have "The Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) received provisional accreditation status from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) on July 1, 2016" and I thought I'd bring this up here in case someone else has an answer before I ask our financial aid office how this is so.

Did anyone happen to apply to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)? I ask because they are about to go into their second year but are offering their students federal aid. They have "The Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) received provisional accreditation status from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) on July 1, 2016" and I thought I'd bring this up here in case someone else has an answer before I ask our financial aid office how this is so.
I believe it has something to do with ARCOM being a part of ACHE (Arkansas Colleges of Health Education) but I'm not exactly sure why.

Accepted by phone just now from 3/12 group. Will LIKELY be withdrawing after a thorough review of the financial situation. I have another acceptance and if ICOM had federal loans I’d pick them!! Good luck everyone!!

Last edited:
Congrats! Still waiting on some good news on my end soon.

Thanks. I will send you guys all good vibes! Every other candidate I met was lovely. I wish you all the best and I’m sad I won’t be your classmate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I will send you guys all good vibes! Every other candidate I met was lovely. I wish you all the best and I’m sad I won’t be your classmate!
They just sent me a sad email.

I'm actually really bummed. But I do hope everyone else here gets good responses soon.

I have an interview with TUNCOM next week. How long did it take for their decision?

And congrats on finalizing your decision :) prob a great feeling to know where youre headed

I got my decision in about 8 days, way before the date they gave me. If you’ve got more questions just PM me. Happy to help.

Does anyone know if ICOM put out a list of the rotation sites yet?

Oh man. Just got back home from Boise.

The presentations were phenomenal. I was definitely impressed by what they had shown me. I think that whoever decides to matriculate will be in good hands. Fingers crossed for this Friday!

From what I've heard among other applicants, the loan thing is a pretty big deal breaker.

Also, not sure if anyone cares, but everyone that interviewed today was OOS. Some from across the country in FL, NY. No Idaho applicants today.
I interviewed 3/14 and I had no Idaho applicants either. I got accepted 3/16!

Was accepted last Friday, Im stuck between this school and Lecom-B so theres a chance I might end up leaving you guys another opened seat. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: 3 users
Was accepted last Friday, Im stuck between this school and Lecom-B so theres a chance I might end up leaving you guys another opened seat. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
That LECOM tuition amount is almost too sexy to pass up..

Reactions: 8 users
The online link is in the acceptance email they sent out. It also has instructions for mailing in the deposit as well.
HEy, thanks for replying.... I checked their email several times and even asked my bf to look at it; however, neither one of saw the link. I have seen the page before, but I can't find it anymore

Last edited:
Post-II rejection today. 3.3 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa with a 508 MCAT and lots of volunteering and clinical research experience. I'm from the East Coast but have immediate family in the Dakotas. Pretty bummed. The email mentioned nothing about a waitlist. The exact words listed in the email were "I regret to inform you that we have chosen not to proceed with your application this year."

Post-II rejection today. 3.3 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa with a 508 MCAT and lots of volunteering and clinical research experience. I'm from the East Coast but have immediate family in the Dakotas. Pretty bummed. The email mentioned nothing about a waitlist. The exact words listed in the email were "I regret to inform you that we have chosen not to proceed with your application this year."
I'm so sorry to hear, try contacting them and asking if they are still taking people on the waitlist. The staff is incredibly friendly!

Yes, definitely email them back and ask to be put in the waitlist. They responded that they'd forward my name to the woman who was in charge of the waitlist, about 50 minutes after I had sent an email requesting so.

Hope we both get in!

Edit: And yes, my email did not say anything about a waitlist, but I still did it and got a reply. I bet that students who aren't really into the school will forget and not apply for the waitlist.

My personal opinion, and I am in no way a med school admissions expert, (in fact paying a company that specializes in advising students on getting into medical school would not be a bad idea for you), but because of your low gpa, particularly your undergrad science gpa, and re-taken science courses, I think you are going to really struggle to get an acceptance. My freshman year I had a sub 2.0 semester, but only one; after that my grades continuously and drastically improved, graduate school grades were pretty solid, postbacc science gpa 4.0. Point is, I had years of academic achievement to show medical schools that I wasn't a sub 3.0 student. You need to do a 2 year medical school masters prep program and get great grades and you need an mcat in the 506 range, and a solid application with no weaknesses after that. That academic history is going to be hard to overcome. I don't say this to be mean I simply want you to understand retaking the MCAT and getting a higher score may not be enough to get you in and will just waste a year of your life when you should be in a master's program proving to schools you can excel in a rigours graduate level science curriculum.

I hear what you're saying; when I sat down with Rocky Vista 2 years ago, they had actually suggested I get a biomedical masters before applying to repair my gpa, and as lovely as that is, I feel like the risk of it being a nonsense degree is too high; it costs $30k and does not guarantee employment if med school doesn't come through. That convo was before I took/retook a lot of my pre-reqs (and I also took time off to birth a human.) So yes, my undergrad work is a definite obstacle, however I have 88 credits of post-bacc work with 20+ consecutive A's, and only 2 A-'s, and 2 B's; this was achieved while working full-time (in the medical field) and raising a family. I'm not a traditional student, I'm 33; undergrad grades are a dozen years old. I called Idaho and spoke with them, and the feedback I got was that I would have been a good candidate had I not only scored in 30/32nd percentile on chem/bio, because they were looking for 35th+ percentile. So that is where I shall focus my greatest efforts.

So, anyway, I think in general, yes, additional coursework to demonstrate capability has value, but I'm not sure it's what I would need at this point for my situation.

And if it really came to it, I feel like time and money are better spent on a PA program to demonstrate capability. Because, at least that way, you're still proving that you can handle an intense course load and you could always apply to med school and walk away from PA. But, if med school still doesn't pan out then, you graduate with a pretty decent, usable degree. That biomedical degree just makes me think it's a way for schools to collect more kittens; maybe I'm just paranoid.

Yes, definitely email them back and ask to be put in the waitlist. They responded that they'd forward my name to the woman who was in charge of the waitlist, about 50 minutes after I had sent an email requesting so.

Hope we both get in!

Edit: And yes, my email did not say anything about a waitlist, but I still did it and got a reply. I bet that students who aren't really into the school will forget and not apply for the waitlist.

@Radxical and @DelayedGratification thanks for encouraging me to contact the school! They put me on the waitlist after I emailed them. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I hear what you're saying; when I sat down with Rocky Vista 2 years ago, they had actually suggested I get a biomedical masters before applying to repair my gpa, and as lovely as that is, I feel like the risk of it being a nonsense degree is too high; it costs $30k and does not guarantee employment if med school doesn't come through. That convo was before I took/retook a lot of my pre-reqs (and I also took time off to birth a human.) So yes, my undergrad work is a definite obstacle, however I have 88 credits of post-bacc work with 20+ consecutive A's, and only 2 A-'s, and 2 B's; this was achieved while working full-time (in the medical field) and raising a family. I'm not a traditional student, I'm 33; undergrad grades are a dozen years old. I called Idaho and spoke with them, and the feedback I got was that I would have been a good candidate had I not only scored in 30/32nd percentile on chem/bio, because they were looking for 35th+ percentile. So that is where I shall focus my greatest efforts.

So, anyway, I think in general, yes, additional coursework to demonstrate capability has value, but I'm not sure it's what I would need at this point for my situation.

And if it really came to it, I feel like time and money are better spent on a PA program to demonstrate capability. Because, at least that way, you're still proving that you can handle an intense course load and you could always apply to med school and walk away from PA. But, if med school still doesn't pan out then, you graduate with a pretty decent, usable degree. That biomedical degree just makes me think it's a way for schools to collect more kittens; maybe I'm just paranoid.

Similar to redking, I'm not a premed advisor, but I really trust the Master's in biomedical sciences route. It's proven time and again that if you can show your ability to excel in the coursework and get a decent MCAT (>500), it can overshadow a poor undergrad GPA. Also, if the Master's program is actually part of a medical school, you have an overwhelming chance of getting an interview/acceptance at that school. Most programs are only 1 year long, and I personally wouldn't go to/haven't heard of a lot of 2-year programs. For example, WesternU (Pomona) offers a 1-year program, and from word of mouth, basically, all of their DO candidates were given acceptances. It makes sense b/c the faculty teaching you are the ones teaching the med students and will be part of your interview committee. I don't think it's a nonsense degree and the programs are actually very competitive. It's a good option to consider.

On the other hand, if you can knock the MCAT out of the park (>510), that may just be equivalent to a Master's. However, I think that showing that you can succeed in medical school type courses in conjunction with a good MCAT makes you a shoe-in, especially with your clinical experience. Two of my MCAT sections were actually in the 30th percentile, and I was eventually accepted. So, take it with a grain of salt when they say it was just the MCAT.

Also, just a personal note, I've never seen a PA degree as a "stepping stone" to a MD/DO degree. I've always thought that a PA program is harder than a doctor b/c they're learning what we're learning in half the time. The program is sooooooooooooooo competitive, and most require much more clinical experience.

I really wish the best of luck in whatever you choose. You seem very comitted to this path. I admire people who are willing to retake so many courses to pursue their dreams.

Also, just a personal note, I've never seen a PA degree as a "stepping stone" to a MD/DO degree. I've always thought that a PA program is harder than a doctor b/c they're learning what we're learning in half the time. The program is sooooooooooooooo competitive, and most require much more clinical experience.
PA school is not med school in 2 years. It is rigorous, but it isn’t the same at all. With that said, I wouldn’t use it as a stepping stone either because PA programs are competitive

PA school is not med school in 2 years. It is rigorous, but it isn’t the same at all. With that said, I wouldn’t use it as a stepping stone either because PA programs are competitive

Sounds like you just need to do better on the MCAT. I was in the same situation. I’m 35 with a crappy undrergrad gpa. I did postbac and broke 500 on MCAT and got in. I ended up taking the mcat 5 times.
Also, on another note, I worked with a PA that went to the carribean, became a MD and matched in internal medicine after working in the Er for years. PA to MD is doable, but all you gotta do is get a better MCAT.

Are there any other alternatives to the deposit other than splitting up the payments? I’m having a hard time shelling out all that cash in just two weeks time. I know a lot of schools have expensive deposits but anyone else feeling the same way?

Are there any other alternatives to the deposit other than splitting up the payments? I’m having a hard time shelling out all that cash in just two weeks time. I know a lot of schools have expensive deposits but anyone else feeling the same way?
call them and explain your financial hardship

Accepted!! Interviewed 3/26 OOS from the North East. I’m still in shock!!

Reactions: 6 users