2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by AlteredScale, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    The final presentation/lunch thing ends at like 1:30. You then have the option to hop on the tour van that will drive you around the city and to the construction site of the new school. The tour is optional and you're totally fine to leave early to catch your flight. Just let them know.

94FutureDO likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. txco1994

Pre-Medical
    Is anyone interviewing April 9th?

4. chmh71

Pre-Medical
    Just gave up my interview for 3/19, good luck everyone!

genegrey and Pentatonika like this.
  5. Winter2014

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I interviewed and my flight was at 3pm and I also rented a car from the airport. Our day ended at 130 and I had enough time to fill the car before returning it to the airport. I got through security and all at about 215.

Also why are private loans such a deal breaker?

94FutureDO likes this.
  6. smurfeyD

Medical Student
    Usually higher interest rates, not as many repayment options as federal

Pentatonika likes this.
  7. Winter2014

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yeah i looked into this a bit more. No IBR, PSFL, PAYE, etc for private loans. So if you take out about 300k, and did not qualify for one of the loans with a 36 month grace period after medical school, how much is your monthly payment then during residency? Also what about those students who do not match? I had a friend who did not match in pysc this year even with high step scores and no red flags.....but he had federal loans so he could do IBR payments but if they were private then what?
    Really hoping ICOM gets approved for fed loans after second year.

8. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    While private loans have negatives, they aren't as unmanageable as people make it seem. A smart way to manage them is to keep making interest only payments while in school if you can afford to, this keeps the principle of the loan the same. There are also other companies that refinance medical school loans once you're in residency, which can increase the deferment date. SoFi is well known for this:
    Medical Resident Refinance | SoFi

also, if you have good credit or can get a parent to cosign, you will probably get a better interest rate than federal loans

Pentatonika and smurfeyD like this.
  9. tulip60

Did anyone happen to apply to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)? I ask because they are about to go into their second year but are offering their students federal aid. They have "The Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) received provisional accreditation status from the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) on July 1, 2016" and I thought I'd bring this up here in case someone else has an answer before I ask our financial aid office how this is so.

Noni Mousse likes this.
  10. Dolly96

Pre-Medical
    I believe it has something to do with ARCOM being a part of ACHE (Arkansas Colleges of Health Education) but I'm not exactly sure why.

11. Blakeb_212

Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision today!

12. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    +1!

13. what_the_effy

Accepted by phone just now from 3/12 group. Will LIKELY be withdrawing after a thorough review of the financial situation. I have another acceptance and if ICOM had federal loans I’d pick them!! Good luck everyone!!

#1062 what_the_effy, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Pentatonika likes this.
  14. georgia_boy1

Pre-Medical
  15. what_the_effy

TUNCOM. I just found out Wednesday.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! Still waiting on some good news on my end soon.

18. what_the_effy

Thanks. I will send you guys all good vibes! Every other candidate I met was lovely. I wish you all the best and I’m sad I won’t be your classmate!

19. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    They just sent me a sad email.

I'm actually really bummed. But I do hope everyone else here gets good responses soon.

20. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I have an interview with TUNCOM next week. How long did it take for their decision?

And congrats on finalizing your decision :) prob a great feeling to know where youre headed

awesomejackjack likes this.
  21. what_the_effy

I got my decision in about 8 days, way before the date they gave me. If you’ve got more questions just PM me. Happy to help.

pinklimediluted likes this.
  22. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    go on the waitlist! Don't lost hope yet

23. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    I sent my email requesting so just a few minutes after my earlier post. It's not over yet! I'm still very determined :)

24. DrRain

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if ICOM put out a list of the rotation sites yet?

25. butterscotchyes

Pre-Medical
    Interviewing in two weeks! Wish me luck!

26. Annie Yellow

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I interviewed 3/14 and I had no Idaho applicants either. I got accepted 3/16!

27. snakeplant

Pre-Medical
    Was accepted last Friday, Im stuck between this school and Lecom-B so theres a chance I might end up leaving you guys another opened seat. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

28. smurfeyD

Medical Student
    That LECOM tuition amount is almost too sexy to pass up..

29. medschoolhereicome

Pre-Medical
    can anyone tell me how to pay deposit? looked everywhere on their site

30. honeybakedsam

Pre-Medical
    The online link is in the acceptance email they sent out. It also has instructions for mailing in the deposit as well.

31. medschoolhereicome

Pre-Medical
    HEy, thanks for replying.... I checked their email several times and even asked my bf to look at it; however, neither one of saw the link. I have seen the page before, but I can't find it anymore

#1079 medschoolhereicome, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  32. honeybakedsam

Pre-Medical
    Hey sorry I should've posted this when I replied before.

Matriculation

33. Annie Yellow

I wrote a blog post about my ICOM interview day, if anyone wants to check it out. It's at alifeinair.com

34. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    Best of luck to everyone today!

pinklimediluted likes this.
  35. avhopeful

Nice article!

Annie Yellow likes this.
  36. Post-II rejection today. 3.3 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa with a 508 MCAT and lots of volunteering and clinical research experience. I'm from the East Coast but have immediate family in the Dakotas. Pretty bummed. The email mentioned nothing about a waitlist. The exact words listed in the email were "I regret to inform you that we have chosen not to proceed with your application this year."

37. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    I'm so sorry to hear, try contacting them and asking if they are still taking people on the waitlist. The staff is incredibly friendly!

38. Radxical

Pre-Medical
    Yes, definitely email them back and ask to be put in the waitlist. They responded that they'd forward my name to the woman who was in charge of the waitlist, about 50 minutes after I had sent an email requesting so.

Hope we both get in!

Edit: And yes, my email did not say anything about a waitlist, but I still did it and got a reply. I bet that students who aren't really into the school will forget and not apply for the waitlist.

Pentatonika likes this.
  39. Chieff_K_

Accepted today! Cant wait to meet everyone!

40. PADO MD

Pre-Medical
    I hear what you're saying; when I sat down with Rocky Vista 2 years ago, they had actually suggested I get a biomedical masters before applying to repair my gpa, and as lovely as that is, I feel like the risk of it being a nonsense degree is too high; it costs $30k and does not guarantee employment if med school doesn't come through. That convo was before I took/retook a lot of my pre-reqs (and I also took time off to birth a human.) So yes, my undergrad work is a definite obstacle, however I have 88 credits of post-bacc work with 20+ consecutive A's, and only 2 A-'s, and 2 B's; this was achieved while working full-time (in the medical field) and raising a family. I'm not a traditional student, I'm 33; undergrad grades are a dozen years old. I called Idaho and spoke with them, and the feedback I got was that I would have been a good candidate had I not only scored in 30/32nd percentile on chem/bio, because they were looking for 35th+ percentile. So that is where I shall focus my greatest efforts.

So, anyway, I think in general, yes, additional coursework to demonstrate capability has value, but I'm not sure it's what I would need at this point for my situation.

And if it really came to it, I feel like time and money are better spent on a PA program to demonstrate capability. Because, at least that way, you're still proving that you can handle an intense course load and you could always apply to med school and walk away from PA. But, if med school still doesn't pan out then, you graduate with a pretty decent, usable degree. That biomedical degree just makes me think it's a way for schools to collect more kittens; maybe I'm just paranoid.

Pentatonika likes this.
  41. @Radxical and @DelayedGratification thanks for encouraging me to contact the school! They put me on the waitlist after I emailed them. :)

42. DelayedGratification

Pre-Medical
    not a problem! I hope you hear good news!

43. pinklimediluted

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Similar to redking, I'm not a premed advisor, but I really trust the Master's in biomedical sciences route. It's proven time and again that if you can show your ability to excel in the coursework and get a decent MCAT (>500), it can overshadow a poor undergrad GPA. Also, if the Master's program is actually part of a medical school, you have an overwhelming chance of getting an interview/acceptance at that school. Most programs are only 1 year long, and I personally wouldn't go to/haven't heard of a lot of 2-year programs. For example, WesternU (Pomona) offers a 1-year program, and from word of mouth, basically, all of their DO candidates were given acceptances. It makes sense b/c the faculty teaching you are the ones teaching the med students and will be part of your interview committee. I don't think it's a nonsense degree and the programs are actually very competitive. It's a good option to consider.

On the other hand, if you can knock the MCAT out of the park (>510), that may just be equivalent to a Master's. However, I think that showing that you can succeed in medical school type courses in conjunction with a good MCAT makes you a shoe-in, especially with your clinical experience. Two of my MCAT sections were actually in the 30th percentile, and I was eventually accepted. So, take it with a grain of salt when they say it was just the MCAT.

Also, just a personal note, I've never seen a PA degree as a "stepping stone" to a MD/DO degree. I've always thought that a PA program is harder than a doctor b/c they're learning what we're learning in half the time. The program is sooooooooooooooo competitive, and most require much more clinical experience.

I really wish the best of luck in whatever you choose. You seem very comitted to this path. I admire people who are willing to retake so many courses to pursue their dreams.

awesomejackjack likes this.
  44. Noni Mousse

Noni Mousse Necroposter

Pre-Medical
    Is this only for this school? Do any other medical schools do this?

45. smurfeyD

Medical Student
    PA school is not med school in 2 years. It is rigorous, but it isn’t the same at all. With that said, I wouldn’t use it as a stepping stone either because PA programs are competitive

46. smurfeyD

Medical Student
    PA school is not med school in 2 years. It is rigorous, but it isn’t the same at all. With that said, I wouldn’t use it as a stepping stone either because PA programs are competitive

47. Edmanrck

Pre-Medical
    Sounds like you just need to do better on the MCAT. I was in the same situation. I’m 35 with a crappy undrergrad gpa. I did postbac and broke 500 on MCAT and got in. I ended up taking the mcat 5 times.
    Also, on another note, I worked with a PA that went to the carribean, became a MD and matched in internal medicine after working in the Er for years. PA to MD is doable, but all you gotta do is get a better MCAT.

48. I think so? It's probably because it's a new program.

49. Blakeb_212

Are there any other alternatives to the deposit other than splitting up the payments? I’m having a hard time shelling out all that cash in just two weeks time. I know a lot of schools have expensive deposits but anyone else feeling the same way?

Annie Yellow likes this.
  50. Annie Yellow

Thanks for reading!

51. call them and explain your financial hardship

Blakeb_212 likes this.
  52. 94FutureDO

Pre-Medical
    Accepted!! Interviewed 3/26 OOS from the North East. I’m still in shock!!