-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Indiana University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For anyone who has sent admissions a message through the portal, where does their reply go and do you get notified if they reply?
It goes to your preferred email address.
Can't tell from personal experience, but I've read in past years threads that people have very good chances of getting their first choice if it's not particularly Indy or Bloomington. Take that with a grain of salt thoughMy first choice was Gary, so I'm pretty sure I'll get it, but for some reason I'm still nervous. I had two other acceptances in Chicago and already withdrew from them (IU is cheaper), and now I'm worried that I did that prematurely. Anyone ever hear of someone not getting their top choice if it was a satellite campus? Guess I'll find out soon! Best of luck to everyone who wants IUPUI.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Campus assignments have been delayed one more day.
Apparently they're having technical issues.
Apparently they're having technical issues.
Last edited:
Campus assignments of been delayed one more day.
Apparently they're having technical issues.
Yep!
Attachments
Did you receive a rejection?Well it was fun! Congrats to those that got in
No. I’m riding on the way that it’s likely they only sent one batch of alternates this year. SDN is only a small population of who could be on the list.Did you receive a rejection?
If I happen to be lucky enough to make the waitlist I’ll come back. If not, this will be my last (or one of my last) posts in this thread.
Thanks for letting us know!!Campus assignments are up!
I got Northwest, which was my first choice. I was expecting it, but I'm still thrilled.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry man.Got my 4th option...
Got my 5th again... I saw it during the glitch on Monday and was prepared to get it again. Still disappointed.
Those of you with your 4th and 5th choices, will you still attend? Is this a deal breaker for you?
Withdrawing for my state school. Good luck everyone!
Can't speak for everyone....Those of you with your 4th and 5th choices, will you still attend? Is this a deal breaker for you?
but yes (it's a deal breaker for me).
Not a deal breaker. Still the school I want to attend. Just frustrating.Those of you with your 4th and 5th choices, will you still attend? Is this a deal breaker for you?
Sorry 🙁 I feel like that counts as a hardship though so definitely apply to that!Anyone agree that this new hardship request thing is absolutely ridiculous? I got my FOURTH choice after applying under the idea that I would have the second chance lottery if anything went wrong. I have two kids in Indy. I own a home. But because I'm not married and my kids don't have medical conditions, I'm expected to uproot our lives?!
Excuse me as I bawl my eyes out on my lunch break.
Anyone agree that this new hardship request thing is absolutely ridiculous? I got my FOURTH choice after applying under the idea that I would have the second chance lottery if anything went wrong. I have two kids in Indy. I own a home. But because I'm not married and my kids don't have medical conditions, I'm expected to uproot our lives?!
Excuse me as I bawl my eyes out on my lunch break.
As a fellow parent who also wouldn't have been able to move, I totally get where you're coming from. I'm so sorry that you didn't get Indy, it's not fair. I highly recommend at least trying to appeal through the hardship avenue. I hope you get the outcome you want!
If it makes you feel any better I emailed admissions the other day and they said they reserve the right to make ANY decision on an application until June 1st. Do with that what you will.No. I’m riding on the way that it’s likely they only sent one batch of alternates this year. SDN is only a small population of who could be on the list.
If I happen to be lucky enough to make the waitlist I’ll come back. If not, this will be my last (or one of my last) posts in this thread.
Anyone agree that this new hardship request thing is absolutely ridiculous? I got my FOURTH choice after applying under the idea that I would have the second chance lottery if anything went wrong. I have two kids in Indy. I own a home. But because I'm not married and my kids don't have medical conditions, I'm expected to uproot our lives?!
Excuse me as I bawl my eyes out on my lunch break.
Definitely try though! On the Facebook group they posted "Hey Everyone! If you have a situation that you think would fall under the Hardship option that may not fit under the parameters given send an email and ask the question to the email address provided on the Accepted Applicant Portal regarding the Hardship option."
Attachments
Anyone agree that this new hardship request thing is absolutely ridiculous? I got my FOURTH choice after applying under the idea that I would have the second chance lottery if anything went wrong. I have two kids in Indy. I own a home. But because I'm not married and my kids don't have medical conditions, I'm expected to uproot our lives?!
Excuse me as I bawl my eyes out on my lunch break.
I sent an email to ask if it was valid for me to send in a hardship request because I fall under two of the circumstances listed, however I am not married but have been in an almost 10 year relationship. So let’s see how they’ll respond to that.
D
Deleted member 750603
Anyone know USMLE scores for different campuses?
Anyone know USMLE scores for different campuses?
I have been told that IUN has the highest scores. I think all campuses are very close though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Totally agree, I find it odd that there was absolutely no transparency (on the IUSM website or interview day) regarding the change in the procedure for campus assignmentThanks for being so kind! I will email Kim Sandrick, as Allison Ade suggested on Facebook. However, I'm worried that my email will just be thrown into the complaint pile with all the others.
During this application process, I have felt I am treated like a number, rather than an individual.
It also is VERY disappointing that IU decided to change its application process during an application period without telling the applicants!
D
Deleted member 750603
Totally agree, I find it odd that there was absolutely no transparency (on the IUSM website or interview day) regarding the change in the procedure for campus assignment
Not sure how many other programs you guys have gone through but this is not atypical. I've not really had an "amazing" experience with any admissions processes for either MD or for PhD. At least in PhD interviews they pay for you to fly out and see the campus.
If it is worth anything I will say that compared to other med schools IU has been fairly communicative. Not 100% transparent and that can be imporved for sure but again I've experienced same shadiness from other schools so IU is pretty good overall.
Just saying.
This is just sort of the "herd the cattle" process.
I'm all for improvement but what I am trying to say is that don't take it personally.
PLUS as future IU med students you guys can weigh in to make admissions better.
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for being so kind! I will email Kim Sandrick, as Allison Ade suggested on Facebook. However, I'm worried that my email will just be thrown into the complaint pile with all the others.
During this application process, I have felt I am treated like a number, rather than an individual.
It also is VERY disappointing that IU decided to change its application process during an application period without telling the applicants!
The whole “number” thing. Seems to be a big thing with IU. The whole admissions process with this school is very off putting.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Was placed at Indy and will be withdrawing today. Hopefully my spot goes to someone in the lottery! Best of luck to everyone!
What do you all think would be a better way to do this campus selection process? My initial thought was that campus selection should be done by acceptance cohort; i.e. as a group is accepted every month, they are given one month to choose a campus. As part of the interview, an actual, transparent description of each campus is given, including average step scores. That way, it doesn’t pile up until the end, they can announce the number of spots remaining at each campus, and everyone at least knows where they will be almost right away. Cold as it may sound, as the year goes on, I think folks are just happy enough to be accepted anywhere. The second chance lottery can happen the week after decision day, so they know who has withdrawn. Then anyone off the waitlist fills the remaining holes. Hardship requests are a great idea and should stay, as I feel that the vast majority of applicants are fresh out of college and that “hardship” will only truly affect a handful who have children/spouses/homes/jobs.
Just spitballing here based on @AlongTheMississippi ’s comment regarding us helping to make changes next year. Thoughts?
Just spitballing here based on @AlongTheMississippi ’s comment regarding us helping to make changes next year. Thoughts?
Last edited:
What do you all think would be a better way to do this campus selection process? My initial thought was that campus selection should be done by acceptance cohort; i.e. as a group is accepted every month, they are given one month to choose a campus. As part of the interview, an actual, transparent description of each campus is given, including average step scores. That way, it doesn’t pile up until the end, they can announce the number of spots remaining at each campus, and everyone at least knows where they will be almost right away. Cold as it may sound, as the year goes on, I think folks are just happy enough to be accepted anywhere. The second chance lottery can happen the week after decision day, so they know who has withdrawn. Then anyone off the waitlist fills the remaining holes. Hardship requests are a great idea and should stay, as I feel that the vast majority of applicants are fresh out of college and that “hardship” will only truly affect a handful who have children/spouses/homes/jobs.
Just spitballing here based on @AlongTheMississippi ’s comment regarding us helping to make changes next year. Thoughts?
I mean I think in a perfect world you don’t interview at Indianapolis and then get placed at wherever-#5-on-your-list several months later 3 days before decision day.
If it’s truly a random lottery I don’t see why it had to occur so late in the process. Personally, I can’t imagine attending school for 4 years in a city I’ve never been to, with campus and hospitals I’ve never visited. If I interview and get a tour of one campus on interview day, then there’s no second look or info on the other campuses until this late, I really don’t have enough information to base my decision off of.
But I’m not entirely sure that random lottery is the best way to go about it. Someone posted previously that you can write to admissions to tell them why you want a certain place. Obviously admissions told us they didn’t consider these emails, but I think having a sort of optional essay or whatever on why you want to go wherever would account for more intangibles (IE: Ppl with children and housing in Indianapolis).
That being said I’ll just be honest, I don’t think the randomly assigned satellite campuses are a good idea. Like if it’s a program you specifically apply to, ok. But randomly assigning a city to go to medical school in doesn’t really vibe with me.
... one "clear" way would be to offer choice in order of acceptances. Result; those applying and accepted would always know what their choices were--out of what was available(left)...and they would choose from availability--or choose not to come at all. So no choices would change unless and until someone pulled out--and choice-change would be offered either in order--or lottery. That way, students would be able to make choice of alternative schools EARLIER in more cases--if no desirable/can live with locations available. Downside? Later you apply, interview, are chosen... less choice.
But... at least you know where you stand and can make YOUR choice, accordingly---as opposed to being at whim of "confusion".
For me--knowing my real choices, sooner, would appeal, most...whatever they be...
But... at least you know where you stand and can make YOUR choice, accordingly---as opposed to being at whim of "confusion".
For me--knowing my real choices, sooner, would appeal, most...whatever they be...
... one "clear" way would be to offer choice in order of acceptances. Result; those applying and accepted would always know what their choices were--out of what was available(left)...and they would choose from availability--or choose not to come at all. So no choices would change unless and until someone pulled out--and choice-change would be offered either in order--or lottery. That way, students would be able to make choice of alternative schools EARLIER in more cases--if no desirable/can live with locations available. Downside? Later you apply, interview, are chosen... less choice.
But... at least you know where you stand and can make YOUR choice, accordingly---as opposed to being at whim of "confusion".
For me--knowing my real choices, sooner, would appeal, most...whatever they be...
That’s more or less what I was saying. Choose campus in order of acceptance. I think you laid out the pros and cons very well.
And to @icedude2010 : I have a hard time believing that the process is entirely random, particularly because they state that they go in order of applicant rank on their website. This is what sort of grinds my gears - despite the fact that it worked out to my advantage - the lack of transparency; stating one thing on the website and then advertising another via Facebook or whatever you kids do these days.
That’s more or less what I was saying. Choose campus in order of acceptance. I think you laid out the pros and cons very well.
And to @icedude2010 : I have a hard time believing that the process is entirely random, particularly because they state that they go in order of applicant rank on their website. This is what sort of grinds my gears - despite the fact that it worked out to my advantage - the lack of transparency; stating one thing on the website and then advertising another via Facebook or whatever you kids do these days.
Sorry about the highlighting, I used it to make another point earlier.
That’s more or less what I was saying. Choose campus in order of acceptance. I think you laid out the pros and cons very well.
And to @icedude2010 : I have a hard time believing that the process is entirely random, particularly because they state that they go in order of applicant rank on their website. This is what sort of grinds my gears - despite the fact that it worked out to my advantage - the lack of transparency; stating one thing on the website and then advertising another via Facebook or whatever you kids do these days.
I agree with the not random thing. I guess I had a pretty early interview and was accepted the month after, with multiple acceptances to multiple schools, so I assumed if they were weighting it that way I would be higher up (I got my 4th choice). So it’s probably a mix of the system being stupid and me being bitter haha.
Yea agreed, it’s a great school and anyone would be lucky to go there. It’s just this particular system I have an issue with is allDon’t get me wrong, I am really thrilled to be attending IUSM, I just think that a lot of headache could have been saved for everyone if they did this a little differently.
Yea agreed, it’s a great school and anyone would be lucky to go there. It’s just this particular system I have an issue with is all
Completely understand. The wife and I have been pretty stressed about this — trying to get ready to sell our house if necessary. Glad it’s all over and done with.
I think here that applicant ranking means how the applicant ranked the campuses. I'm a fan of the lottery. Every campus is going to offer essentially the same thing during the preclinical years. I think people with a genuine tie to a location should be considered after the lottery on a case-by-case basis. I do think it might make more sense to assign campuses as they go, but I was accepted early so may be biased. I also didn't want Indy so may be biased altogether. Just wanted to clear up the ranking remarks because I think that means how we ranked and not how we were ranked.
I withdrew my acceptance a couple days ago. Good luck everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think here that applicant ranking means how the applicant ranked the campuses. I'm a fan of the lottery. Every campus is going to offer essentially the same thing during the preclinical years. I think people with a genuine tie to a location should be considered after the lottery on a case-by-case basis. I do think it might make more sense to assign campuses as they go, but I was accepted early so may be biased. I also didn't want Indy so may be biased altogether. Just wanted to clear up the ranking remarks because I think that means how we ranked and not how we were ranked.
That’s what I thought initially until I heard previous students mention that interpretation - plus the amount of time required to hit the “randomize” button.
For those of you who withdrew did you A, B, or C? Thanks in advance!
A: send an email
B: call via phone
C: send snail mail
A: send an email
B: call via phone
C: send snail mail
For those of you who withdrew did you A, B, or C? Thanks in advance!
A: send an email
B: call via phone
C: send snail mail
I sent an email and they replied with an acknowledgement and request to take a survey.
Clutch! Just withdrew. Thank you so much!!!I sent an email and they replied with an acknowledgement and request to take a survey.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K